working at it slowly

Comments

• Evening

hugs to the snotplagued among you

I hope knees, bruises and other injuries are improving.

Oooh, good luck with the vetting Onsie.

I’ve been considering the idea of adopting a dog. I like going for long, long walks. Neither Shadow or HWMBT are up to it. I’m not actively seeking one, just if the right one turns up, I’ll give him/her serious consideration. The most important criteria being that Shadow would accept him/her.

Just to let you know, in the interest of Teamwork, I’ve bowed out of Jantastic. I just can’t do the business at the moment. I’m still not running as such, just keeping up with the spin classes. I’m just so busy with other things, I’ve not got the mojo to discipline myself to just get on with it. Sorry guys. But your stats should be better now that I’ve gone!

• Gentle Chugger wrote (see)

DL, hope that means you're starting to feel better. Sinusitis is severely horrible, so if you are not definitely getting better, hie thee to the quacks. It can go on for weeks if it gets established. xx

Nogs, I share the general euphoria about your bb insert (whatever it is)! As to DL on bended knee---you wish! image But it sounds like she has no pain, and it's just a matter of waiting it out while things heal. If you are keen to get cycling outside again, does that mean your chest infection is definitely gone? 

FarFar, silent Mondays?? 

Spence, hope you don't wind up spending today with the Head! Very nerve-racking. As for Dotty, if you only fell over her once, she is indeed doing well. Monty 'casts' like any hunting dog, running from side to side ahead of me. Even the gentlest chugging with him is fraught with danger...image

Sluggie, it's too bad about the new choir, but if you were to be banished to tenor again, it wouldn't give you what you wanted. Hope you can find another one, cos singing is good stuff. The anthem is actually easier than it sounds: group rehearsed for a couple of weeks, I sang it from sight, but I know it pretty well as we've done it before and it's 'standard Tudor' if you know what I mean. 

Podds, north and east winds on a north-facing coast are glacial. Hope you manage to stay warm!!!

Yums, you too! I'm guessing Mrs. Dawg is not a fan of cold wind image

NewRunner, scuse me for saying so, but your father seems to be one of those 'never enough' people. His own achievements are impressive, and you should be proud of him. But so are yours: coming back from the big C is a mega-win in itself, and getting fit again at your own pace is even bigger, so he should be proud of you too. I'm with DL on the approach: do what feels good TO YOU, be proud of yourself that you can do it and are doing it, and forget the numbers (and your dad) for now. 

Meldy, I am nastily pleased to find the GPO is just like Heineken. I don't think it has anything to do with Wiskas. If you had a whole box of Sheba, then Sheba would be off the menu. It's just the orneriness of cats, I reckon!

Monts and I got caught in a giant hailstorm yesterday. Naturally. He was a real mudlark by the time we got home! This is birthday season (C2 yesterday, C3 tomorrow, C1 in 2 weeks) so I've got to pop out and get a cake for C2 to share with his colleagues. Happy days all. xxx

Yeah he is a bit, hes ok most of the time just when he comes back from a run etc. He also doesnt really get short distance running either lol, hes focused on doing x miles at a certain pace, my focus is more getting fast over shorter distances (but plan to do both). Someone above said they had no interest in pbs etc they just run when they feel like it, well me and my dad speaking to each other can be a bit like that, in the sense I am always focused on what my top speed is over a mile and he is focused on being able to maintain a pace for miles, I try to explain that if you can maintain a certain pace for many miles it means you can go at least a little bit faster over 1 mile if you take every thing out your legs. 

Last time I really tried to do that I hurt my legs so now when I push hard I leave a fair bit in reserve until I have a much more solid mileage base and solid feeling legs! I enjoy the eliptical as I really don't care to much the mileage other than to report how far I went and how many mins. I will continue to note my numbers on running ahead to see how my mileage goes each month and hopefully the average pace each month increases slightly except months I get aggresive and increase the mileage more than recommended (just slightly). 

• Morning all. Frosty and cold here, just been out in the garden filling bird feeders and pouring hot water to melt the birdbath. (Read somewhere that they especially need to preen in water when it's cold to preserve the insulating effect of their down. Don't know if it's true, but no harm in keeping the birdbath unfrozen!)

Sluggie, amazing that the shopping centre wasn't mobbed, in this weather! A covered over place to wander and shop sounds like a no-brainer; but nice you didn't have to fight crowds. How's MS feeling now? 

Nogs, you are always so positive! As you said, a silver lining to not being able to ski this year will be having a super-fettled bike imageimage And it must be really important for HL to get out of the house as often as she can so she doesn't get cabin fever image

(((Coco))) Sorry the lurgy is lurking again---a bit of time out of the office is probably a nice change. Where in Cambridge are you? 

(((Onesie))) Really hope you don't get the awful sinus thingy that DL has---take care of yourself! And whatever will help your grand-nephew most, I really hope he gets it. Kids are very pliable and such a lot can be done to help almost anything, if they start early.

Dragon, no apologies please!! You have your hands full already at the mo, and not loading yourself with Jantastic this year is absolutely the right call. A model to us all in the appropriate allocation of time. As to a dog---do it! Hope it will be a rescue, there are so many lovely animals desperately needing a good home. 

Spacey, I guess you are NR with a new name? Sounds like you and your dad have different aspirations, which is just fine. Generally reckoned that you need distance even if you want some speed, but that you have to build up in that order, i.e. distance first, then speed. Meldy can advise. The main thing is to do what you want to, and what you sensibly can. If you go beyond your limits, you actually go backwards. 

Finally dry here, so some cycling around the place and a long walk with Monty, I hope (clouds are forming ominously as I write...). Stupid tendon has FINALLY healed, so starting to think about chugging again... 

Oh, and happy birthday to C3 today imageimage  We have a small family, and his birth was the first time in 150- years there were two boys in the same generation. Mr C's dad was over the moon---made me feel like a Heroic Mother of the Fatherland! image

• morning all

ooh chuggy get back  out there chugging! come one image

good call Dragon - although team WAISter is a bit in the tiny side now - which reminds me I must do my feb targets, not run this week cos not a minute to spare image stupid job!

• morning all.

I think I am hibernating at the moment not going out much at all even missed my 7 mile trek over the hills to the pub so I must be in a bad way image.

I am still following all Waister ups and downs but don't have a lot to say for myself image. Tony is working not far from where Scott lives so the brothers are living together at the moment so our house is quiet again with just the two of us.

Just had a few snow showers in my area but been very cold so heating belting out all and every day just dreading the bills when they come in.

more coffee then ????? don't know yet image

• I'll have a cup of tea if you're putting the kettle on Westie image 

Happy birthday C3! And tee hee at you being the Heroic Mother of the Fatherland Chuggs image

Good plan to bow out of Jantastic Dragon - I didn't join for the very same reason - good job really as I haven't run a single step this year!

Good luck Onesie. My nephew had similar struggles with the school but at least has diagnosis now and a plan for support, even if he doesn't always get it!

Bank just sent me an email asking for feedback about a recent call - and put 100 other customers in the CC field image

No harm done (only email addresses shared), and I won't be complaining - but I'm reminding myself that however bad I think my day is, I'm probably having a better day than the person who sent that email... image

• Hey Yums

The Dragon is looking at a rescue hound.............I'm thinking, slim, good looking, long legs and a long nose imageimageimage  What do you think?

J

I think my SLT (senior leadership team) may just have realised something is going on....this was the (wimpy) email I received last night...

Hi "Podds"

I never thought I'd be asking for them, but do you have any reports ready for us yet?   Just had a few members of SLT asking about them?   Thanks
  • Afternooniclesimage

It's difficult typing in my tablet with the wrong hand. Please excuse any daft mistakes. My autocorrect just changed*difficult* to *duckfoot* lol! Why is that??

Holly and Stanley are here but to home tomorrow. It's been a good week with them and Holly has been a help for me. Ozzy has loved having his little chum hereimage

It's very cold and breezy but bright and we have enjoyed some lovely walks.

(((((Poorly and broken Waisters))))))
  • Whoa, Podds, you have definitely got them on the run image  I hope someone has told them to be afraid, be very afraid! image

Daffs, LOL at your picture! I mean, I know kids these days don't always have a lot of exposure to animals, but I would have thought most people could guess which of the two pictured was the border collie!! And you know, I think you SHOULD contact the bank, because they could get into uber hot water for that unauthorised disclosure of personal data. By now you should have got an email acknowledging and apologising for the mistake, and promising not to do it again: if you haven't, then you don't have to complain about it but it would be a kindness to tell them so they can make sure it doesn't happen again. 

Westie! Good to see you. Please, please don't abandon us! Your credit here is permanently good, and we want to hear all about what's going on. Sounds like good news for Tony and Scott: does that mean that the new job for Tony is working out? And how are his eyes? 

• Larry, how good to see you. And also great that Holly and Stanley have been with you---a great help to have some extra hands (now that you are down to one!) and it must be such fun to have them, too. You were due for something nice to happen---hope the hand is getting better now. How long do you have to stay in plaster for? 

• Afternoon,

Aww Larry, I'm sorry that Holly and Stanley have to go home soon, I bet you have loved having them with you. I do hope that hand isn't giving you much pain.

Westie, it's always good to see you. I'm glad that you have not suffered from a lot of the white stuff. I totally agree with your putting the heating on and worry about the bills later, being constantly cold is not healthy.

Daffs, that's a lovely photo, it really made me image

Onesie, I do hope the vetting goes/has gone well. I adore GSDs, possibly my fave breed.

Dragon, you have earned the right exercise when and where you want.Forget Jantastic and do what you enjoy. As for adopting another dog - gwan, you know you want to.

Chuggy,I hope that the family birthdays are all enjoyed.

Spacey, it's prolly as well that you and your dad have different aims, at least you are not in direct competition with each other.

Noggy, how lovely to be enjoying having the money to fettle your bike long after the skiing trip would have been over.

Podds,it sounds as if your colleagues might be getting the message, slowly.

It's been a beautiful day here - cold butwith a bright blue sky.MS and I have done some pottering around and done a sluggie. He's feeling much better, just coughing occasionally.

SB is hobbling around, he tells me, with a swollen, bruised ankle having missed his footing on the stairs on Sunday evening. He's had it X-Rayed and there is no bony injury but it's pretty painful at the moment.

MS has now gone to w*rk and I am in my usual position with Cleo on my lap.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

• Sorry, double posted for some reason!

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Larry, it was a lovely photo of you all on FB image any news on Holly moving back?

Please could I ask for some vibes for daddy spence, he's had a 'throat' for quite some time antibiotics haven't done anything & he is now having a blood test on Monday. Having just spoken to step mum I can tell she's really worried.

I'm off to run club to run it off image
  • Vibes being sent, Spence, for both daddy spence and step mummy spence - and you too.

Home visit went well.  We are approved and will be going to see the gorgeous firball on Saturday afternoon.  She's a GSD crossed with something.  Which means she doesn't have a "proper" GSD look.  Which is fine by us as, even after 6 years, we still miss our last woofer.  I'd been toying with going for a different breed altogether because it would be hard if a new Shep had similar markings and temperament to Scoobs.  Roll on Saturday.

(Snotmonster has run off again - yay!!)

• Good news Onesie, both on the mutt and the snotmonster. 

Vibes for the aged Spences.

Not much to report here. Penny still has cabin fever, my chest infection has departed, I have some energy back, so look out 2015'

• Vibes for the Spences

What's a GSD, onesie?  Sounds gorgeous anyway image  I hope you'll all be very happy together and so good to hear that she'll be going to a good home.

Chugs - I am in Cambridge proper.  As in staying right in the city centre and working at a uni site in Mill Lane.  Having a really great time as I'm working with one of my favourite consultants and my cold seems to have given up the ghost in the light of the Berocca that I hit it with this morning!

Home tomorrow evening.

• Golden Sausage Dog?

Great Sodding Dane?

Greater Spotted Dalmation?

Sorry about that Coco. GSD is the acronym for German Shepherd Dog.

• Almost as good a dog as a greyhound imageimage

Nitol

• Morning---where is everyone! If it's as cold there as here, maybe the answer is, still snug in bed! image

(((((Daddy Spence and family)))) Waiting for results is very hard. Hope it shows he just needs a more targeted antibiotic. 

Oooh, Onesie, your new pooch sounds wonderful. How old? Is she from a rescue centre? It's lovely that she has enough similarities with Scoob to feel 'right' but is different enough that there's no sense she would compete. (Odd---we are always afraid that one dog will replace another, but they never do!) Photos, please, asap!

Sluggie, sorry to hear about SB's ankle. Not really what he needs right now, is it? But sounds like MS has got the better of his lurgy, which is good. 

(((((((TUBS))))) If I understood FB correctly the op is this morning. Hope it's gone really well, has done the job, and is now (or is about to) over. xxxx

Nogs, when you and HL get back up to cruising speed, 2015 won't know what's hit it! image

Good news, there, Coco. An enjoyable trip, in the middle of beautiful Cambridge, and sans lurgy all sound like just what you need! Enjoy it all. (And if you haven't seen it yet, go along to the corner of King's Parade and Bene't Street and look at the chronophage. One of the weirdest, most fascinating things ever made! (The rest of you can see it here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHO1JTNPPOU

Need to spend some time now puzzling out medieval bills of exchange. Think I will need coffee (maybe whisky!) to get my head around them. Then a brisk walk, hopefully with no hail or snow (but I'm not promising...) Happy days all, stay warm! xx

• I'm here Chuggs - just up to my eyeballs in reporting...........

Head admitted last night that the Governors won't let her spend any more money so no assistant for me.......but I can have some of my invigilators to "help with the odd thing"..........right so that's really going to help if I'm off sick...........  Talk about short sighted........

Oh well - best get on then!

Happy thank goodness it's nearly Friday..........

~~~Spence family~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tubbs~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• DLDL ✭✭✭

Better late than never.

~~~~~(((((Tubs))))~~~~~ hope operation went well

A new dog Onesie - how very exciting

~~~~~~~The Spences~~~~~~~

((((Podds)))) if you don't get assistance at least I hope you get a bit of understanding or sympathy!

Have just been and gotten FC6 into school. She will start on Monday. We had a look round, she had an assessment, we have bought uniform - for her, not us as that would be odd. We are all rather excited and possibly a bit nervous. OH, I imaging is mainly relieved as she may get some day time TV back!

I have a cough - would anyone like it? As with a bread machine, or a juicer - the novelty has swiftly worn off.

Happy Thursday

• Afternoon,

((((Tubs)))) I hope that the worst is over by now.

Attagirl DL! I'm sure everyone will be relieved that FC6 has a school place - not least the girl herself, although nerves are natural.

Well done Onesie! I do agree with Chuggy, photos are needed asap.

(((Spence Daddy and Mummy))) let's hope that anxieties are soon allayed.

Coco, yes, do go and see the chronophage, he is well worth a visit.

Noggy, I'm glad that you are finally rid of the resp infection. It means that you can do more running around after HL image.

It's still cold but the snow has gone. I had a nice chat with TM, for whom some WAISTervibes would be appreciated. He saw his GP on Monday about a strange lesion on his chest. The GP referred him urgently to the dermatologist to be seen within 2 weeks. He had a call on Tuesday and is going to have the thing removed tomorrow am. He's not good with medical stuff and is rather anxious, his daughter is going along to hold his hand. I'm glad that she is able to do so as I will be otherwise engaged taking MIL for a bone scan!

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxxxx

• DL wrote (see)

((((Podds)))) if you don't get assistance at least I hope you get a bit of understanding or sympathy!

Nope - nothing now.........I am so tired of this whole set up image

However a good slap with the harribert wouldn't go amiss as there are plenty a whole worse of than me...........

Right - going home now - only done 2 hrs extra today despite my assertion I wouldn't.......they seem to think I've been twiddling my thumbs doing SFA all day image

~~~~~~~TM~~~~~~~~~~

(((((((Tubbs))))))) hope all is well

• Morning each.

Just you and I not invited I reckon Podds.  I hope today is better for you btw.

I'm having an inset day today, the highlight being the retrieving of my bike with its shiny new bits, from my lbs.

In the meantime the Tassimo has been switched to overdrive.

• Morning, Nogs. I wasn't at the party either  Here, have another cup of coffee as a consolation prize!  Sounds like a rather exciting day over there, with the newly-fettled bike making its magisterial appearance. Hope it's now exactly how you wanted it!

Podds, that's really discouraging. And unfair, because they are banking on your sense of duty and your care for the kids to cover the funding gap. Puts you in a catch 22: if you work all the extra hours, they think it's really OK because it's all getting done; if you don't, something may go wrong with serious effects for the kids. This is the management attitude everywhere, but it still makes me angry. Respect to you. 

((((Sluggie's TM))) I hope they get everything in the operation today and that it doesn't turn out to have any further ill effects. And I hope the bone scan on your MIL is OK----is it for osteoporosis? 

DL, three cheers for you and OH, getting FC6 into school! It's key for her, not just educationally but socially, so hats off to you for pushing til you got her in. Although I'm guessing it was a good judgment call on the clothes---FC6 might have had some hesitation had you and OH showed up at the school gates in full uniform image

Cold here, no other word for it tho the wind that was predicted to take the temperature down to -12 C hasn't appeared, thank dog. Busy day with lots of small stuff to get out of the way. Hope it's a lurvely Friday for you all! xx

• We had to wear uniform to school.

Mine was a Japanese Admirals.

• morning hope not late to send some vibes to the Spence clan ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A bit down at the moment this Sunday is a trail run I was wanting to do it was not far and I could still turn up and walk it but that's not the point. I did enter it very early about October last year hoping things would work out but no joy on that front.
    I will go and support the runners and Scott who are doing the longer club distance..

Tony has completed his first week at the job he got and appears to be settling in.I  gave him our car as it was easier to stay with Scott and commute from there. He is in the same boat as tubs he cant drive at night and bright sun is a problem so the shorter distance to work suits him.

Off down Retford way next weekend for a wedding but going by train as dont fancy a long drive this weather.

I am about to bite the bullet and get on the scales I'm loosing site of my feet these days image

• Crikes, Westie, that's a tale of woe.  Enjoy your spectating.

Some positive news for me.  It looks like I'll be in for my knee rebuild in early April.  That gives me time to get some miles in, maybe even do the Majorca training g camp (if Penny can drive by then-she needs to be self sufficient before I can do anything)

I can even book my tickets for NZ next winter.

Woo hoo.