North Downs Way 50 2015

Hi

I've entered the NDW50 in May as my first ultra so would really appreciate any tips or advice from anyone who has done this before.  I'm keen to run in road shoes but don't know how good the trail parts are.  Also I live in Bedfordshire and am unlikely to be able to get down the reccie the whole route in advance as this will require several trips - will this be a problem?

Would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Navigation shouldn't be a problem at all - there are the National Trail routes to follow and Centurion put out red and white tape as well.  You are also required to carry a map, so no, not reccie-ing the whole route will be a problem - I hadn't reccied any of it.

There are a few blogs about it that you may want to read

http://www.ultrarunningcommunity.com/race-reports/92-north-downs-way-50-100

I used trail shoes, but not sure it would be essential - it depends on the weather - you'll have to keep your eye out on the forecast at the time and what the weather has been like before hand.

Either way, it's a great route and it's a very well organised event, so best of luck Fieldy

• Hi Richyla.  Thanks for the info.  Thats put my mind at ease image

Just got to concentrate on the training for a while now and will think about the logistics nearer the time.

• Fieldy, Its a great race and I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. Its really pretty and so well organised. Road shoes will be absolutely fine as long as there isn't a deluge leading up to race. Like Richyla says as well, dont worry about the route. Its very easy to follow the trail with waymarkers everywhere and centurion also put tape along the trail.

I'd say get some hill training done for sure. Maybe incorporating gentle hill sessions towards the end of a long run. After Box hill at about 24 miles it gets tough with some serious climbs when you're obviously already quite tired.

• Fieldy , you will not be disappointed by this race . As Richyla says the nav is great , just keep heads up for the tape hanging in trees etc . Plenty of national trail markers too . This was my first 50m ultra 3 years ago and still remains my all time fave image it's been dry every time I've done this event and wore road and trail shoes , both were fine but if it's a bit wet underfoot then def opt for trail . Hope you enjoy it
  • Here are a few things I might be able to share. I finished nearer the front than the back and really enjoyed my day.

http://76thmile.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/centurion-north-downs-way-50-race.html

• I did Pilgrims Ultra last weekend (2 x 33miles along NDW).  It was a real mudfest, sandy and stony in places, trail shoes essential.  If you have dry weather for a couple of weeks before your event, then you may get away with road shoes, but I would go for trail myself even in summer.  Have fun, great route!

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I haven't done the NDW but did do the SDW50. A word of caution...

It really depends on the conditions. Centurion races are very well organised but even they can't control conditions. Its a small race field and you will likely find yourself running on your own at least for a portion of the race, so there won't be anyone to ask directions from. 

I was surprised how easy it was to get lost on top of the downs when the rain came down and visibility was reduced. I actually added 10 miles onto my race distance, because I didn't recce the route properly and because I couldn't see.

So do what you can. Centurion web site course notes should say if there are any difficult bits to navigate, and concentrate on those.

You're going to have a lot to think about on the day, make sure you at least know your way and give yourself a chance to enjoy it. 

And feel free to correct me, but didn't the NDW course end up underwyears for the 2012 or 2013 race?

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Underwater, not underwears! image

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

+1 for Miss Slow - sorry to contradict some of this advice, but it is a trail race, so you'll be better off with trail shoes. I work at the foot of Box Hill so run these routes almost every lunchtime. Road shoes are OK if it's been dry for an extended period, like in July or August, but even then I would still recommend trails. If you're worried about getting used to new shoes before the race, better to start getting them bedded in now.

• Long socks or calf guards are handy for the last 10 miles as the nettles and brambles can be bad. The navigation is trickiest towards the end too especially as the field will have spread out and it isn't as popular as box hill etc. so paths less worn.

Also be careful near Merstham church as I understand there have been problems in the past with markers being moved around...

There is also a bizarre sandy section near the start which adds to the fun. I would favour trails shoes as there can be damper patches in the woods but the North downs drain fairly quickly so should be ok with road shoes come May.

best of luck and enjoy. I should be running on the NDW a lot in April so will report back with trail conditions.

• Sandy section is my most fave bit image
  • Time to start getting excited about the race image The weather for the NDW50 was perfect last year, lets hope for more of the same this year image

Anyone doing the NDW50 and 100 this year?

• Trail shoes PLUS debris gaiters on NDW if you don't want to keep stopping to get bits of stone or stick out of your shoes. If you CAN do a couple of recces do so (it splits nicely into two sections, Farnham to Dorking, Dorking to Knockholt Pound) then do so as there are one or two bits where it's possible to go wrong (done it, seen others do it) even with the extra markings on the day.

Box Hill and the 2-3 miles(?) after that are tough, but it does get easier again after that section. Accept that you'll walk up Box Hill.

This was my first 50-miler, back in 2012, and I really enjoyed it.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I'm almost jealous. I ran over Box Hill about an hour ago. It's lovely. your trail is a bit soggy/muddy in spots.

• Oh, the link for the live timings is up! Getting real now.

• Thanks for all the tips!  Going to go with road shoes and hope the rain forecast for Thursday doesn't leave it too muddy.  Nerves are kicking in now but still super excited about this event!

I saw that the live timings page is up now - any idea why there is none before mile 24?