Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Dachs I couldn't even grow a moustache in fact I couldn't grow one now!

Right that's it need to train harder to get rid of those demons!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, depends which meet you do the 3k at.

First one I did, I went too low a prediction, ended up in the C race, and led for most of it, feeling comfy after.

Second one, went too optimistic, only 2 races, and 9.30 would have seen me last seed in the A race! Had to bargain with them to put me in the B race. Went off way too hard, finished hard, and was shattered after.

Difference in time between the 2 races?  1.5 seconds or so!

If you put down 9 I can't see how that'd possibly get in the B race unless they have the most ridiculously stacked field ever.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG, a 9:10 prediction put you in the B race last time I was there, and it seems like the reputation of these meets are growing, so you never know.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

the standard is something else, normally you wouldn't think twice about encouraging newbies you know to put in for a race, but if they attempted a 3k there, they might have a miserable run right at the back of even the C race!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Track is a cruel mistress.  They won't get a medal for finishing either.

• Dachs wrote (see)

Track is a cruel mistress.  They won't get a medal for finishing either.

What about a t-shirt or goody bag? I'm only entering if there are going to be more than 5000 racing and only if it costs more than £30.

• And a water station.

• How about a warm-up with pumping music lead by someone in a microphone headset.

Looking like today's track sesh will become a rest day and tomorrow's rest will become an easy run. Foot better today but I think it would benefit from another day off. Though until I get this in email form I'm likely to head out to the track.

Sometimes I need saving from myself.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

And a water station.

Also, there might only be one water station per lap, so for anything over 1500m a hydration belt is advised.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

thats 'cos track is for the real athletes image

that said another session like last night and im retiring!  6*800m.  target 2.26 off 2 min rec.  so not the hardest session in the world.  they came out 2.27, 2.29, 2.31, 2.34, 2.36, 2.39.  i was doing them on my own and motivation was low (which might account for the lousy last 2) when i was missing the times and could do nothing to recover them.  Im hoping i was just tired but missing my 800 rep times by 13secs is not something i was expecting.

contrast that to Matt and Simons excellent training

• Do you get local celebrities starting the race, maybe Elton will be there?

Just been looking at some of the results from last year. Must look funny with a 100m race with 12 yr old boys racing 50+ yr old women! 

30 mins on the bike yesterday, I have a small hamstring tear from Sunday, so I canned it earlier than the 60mins I had planned. Everything else is improving, achilles aside. Think I will take the week off and see where I am.

• DeanR7 wrote (see)

thats 'cos track is for the real athletes image

that said another session like last night and im retiring!  6*800m.  target 2.26 off 2 min rec.  so not the hardest session in the world.  they came out 2.27, 2.29, 2.31, 2.34, 2.36, 2.39.  i was doing them on my own and motivation was low (which might account for the lousy last 2) when i was missing the times and could do nothing to recover them.  Im hoping i was just tired but missing my 800 rep times by 13secs is not something i was expecting.

What have your last 2 weeks been like? Take it easy.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Andrew G wrote (see)

Just been looking at some of the results from last year. Must look funny with a 100m race with 12 yr old boys racing 50+ yr old women! 

Didn't see that, but at other open meets (not Watford), I have seen hairy, overweight middle aged men running as fast as possible after 10 or 11 year old girls.  This must be what the 70s looked like.

• Somehow it seems creepier, when you see a middle aged sprinter at the track, compared to a middle aged long distance runner.

• Dean - we all have then mate, must have been a bit tired I suppose.

Watford is good, but it's been getting a bit silly in the last few years, especially the 3k races when it's getting on for 10pm. It is a good place for the sub 9 though as the standard is good.

I'm aiming to do the 5000m down at Eltham again. It's BMC/open and you just have to enter through the BMC site and you don't have to be a member. I did the end of June one last year when I did my 15.27 and seeing quite a few 'Watford refugees' from north of London there. There are tents around the side of the track and even free bottles of water (woo hoo!)

• Stevie G wrote (see)

ps 164 races up, with 24 halves now. I know you've done 201, what's the half total in that? Always interesting to compare as we had race 1 on the same day. July 2002!

Is counting your races normal behaviour, or the reserve of proper anoraks?

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I've not a clue how many I've done Andrew.

Dean, just put it down to one of them days. I'm sure the zip will be back quick sharp.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Andrew G wrote (see)
    Stevie G wrote (see)

ps 164 races up, with 24 halves now. I know you've done 201, what's the half total in that? Always interesting to compare as we had race 1 on the same day. July 2002!

Pure anorak behaviour. Whereas writing on forums gets you right up there with the cool kids image

• Andrew G wrote (see)
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Just the tip of the iceberg Andrew! I know exactly how many miles I've done in every pair of running shoes since 2005!

Races:

4xfull, 3x20M, 33 halves, 8x10M, 6x7M, 42x10k, 12x5M, 1x4M, 6x5k, 22 parkrun, 46xc/trail, 20 fell

• Oh, and Dean - everyone has an off-day mate!

Legs recovered enough to run home tonight - not pretty, but got here! The bodies power of recovery is pretty amazing sometimes!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    That's brilliant Bus.

I have a training diary but I seem to fill it in once every few weeks when I've remembered where I've put it. That's the reason everything goes on strava as its there for me to look back on in case I eventually lose the diary. Also saves me adding my miles up manually.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, this is where track must be great for racking the races up, especially if you can get a couple in the same night.

I know you've got those parkruns, but quite low in the 5ks otherwise. Used to do 5 a summer with Marlow, over a couple of months.

Hopefully get to have the summer in 2015 that I was looking forward to last year!

• Andrew G wrote (see)

Do you get local celebrities starting the race, maybe Elton will be there?

We get Paul Daniels start the Wargrave 10k.

5x600m on the goose shit track today. My fast segments were at 190 steps a minute and I did 2:09, 2:13, 2:12, 2:12, 2:10 so I reckon over 2000 steps in goose shit.

• You stat guys are awesome, I also leave it to Strava. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I barely know, or care what Strava is, but while pbs obviously are the main stat that motivate us all, I've always loved keeping a tally of races and all that. Good to look back on in the times you don't always feel like racing.

Turning up at Reading and seeing a whole bunch of familiar faces, not just from this thread was some lovely stuff too.

• Strava is there to help you injure yourself, people set up segments and you try to beat the record holder when really you should be doing a warm down, or similar.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    That's the exact reason I don't use Strava.

I have kept records of all my races in Phase 2 of my running history. However, I have no idea how many I ran as a teenager or what most of my PBs were. Slower than now anyway.

Went to track tonight, but my legs are still mashed, so I pootled some miles out around the outside then went home in time to put the kids to bed.
  • I thought Strava was what cyclists use to tell strangers on the internet where they live, how much their bikes cost, and when they'll be out.

• literatin wrote (see)

I thought Strava was what cyclists use to tell strangers on the internet where they live, how much their bikes cost, and when they'll be out.

That's exactly why I always take my bike with me when I go for a ride.

• Andrew G wrote (see)
    literatin wrote (see)

I thought Strava was what cyclists use to tell strangers on the internet where they live, how much their bikes cost, and when they'll be out.

That's exactly why I always take my bike with me when I go for a ride.

What about the other ones image