Options

working at it slowly

Comments

• Options

Vibes on turbo DL.

Podds, I.m having a knee replacement.  From the scans they are looking at a total rebuild rather than a 'half' job.

I've just done a nice 25 miler, one of only a handful of road rides since October (when my knee let go big style)

My hope is to get some decent, regular miles in before the op.

• Options

And there are other Southern WAISTers around...

Well happy Mondays everyone - I've had a stinking headcold all weekend and spent most of it on the sofa.  Work continues to be stressful and I'm hoping to make a return to doing some extra swimming this week instead of running.

Fingers crossed for the knee replacement Nogs.  Glad you have a date and I'm sure it will feel a lot better once the op is over.  Is it wrong to say that I'm a little bit envious?  They won't do mine for at least another 10 years and possibly longer so am trying to access pain management classes at the moment.  But they don't fit them in around those of us who work full time!

Podds - love the pics of the dogs and beds image

• Options

Larry - have a look at zooplus.co.uk - it's where the igloo came from and they do do various sizes!

Noggs - will you still go ahead if you can still ride?  It's a major op if you're having the full monty!!  My surgeon spends his life telling me I want to avoid it at all costs.......

• Options

Morning Chums, 

Oops, sorry, didn't realise I hadn't popped back since Mr Daffs disappeared. I did indeed find him alive and well (if a little grumpy) in the next street. Cake has been dispatched to the neighbours as an advanced bribe for them to keep it down next time image

Goodness, I don't even know where to start. (((((((farfars))))))) So sad. Hope Mr FarFar is doing ok. ((((((Tubs))))) Mr Tubs is indeed a star, but I'm sure you'd do the same for him if the situation were reversed image Fingers crossed you can see again soon. (((Noggy's knee)))) glad you have a date! and Snaily! A date for you too! image Good on No 2 for organising work experience Yums, sounds like an ace thing for him to do! image 

Lovely waister pals. Glad some of you got to meet in London, very jolly image 

Nowt much happening here. Working at home. Raining. Put stew in the slow cooker and bread in the bread machine this morning for a cosy lunchtime feast. Ordered some seeds to try and grow loofahs. That type of thing. 

• Options

Oh - forgot the vibes, sorry DL...here they are

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~DL's friend~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options

~~~~~~~~~~ DL's friend ~~~~~~~~~~~

with a 4.30 start and super duper cars it must be Monaco image Good on no 2 for doing it on his own initiative image

Glad our lovely southerners had such a nice meet up image and I love the dog beds Podds image 

Swans are incredibly noisy when they fly, a bit like a 747, I'm amazed they can actually get into the air but so graceful when they're in flight ( the swans not the 747's)!

Took Bram up the Glen and back on Saturday to see how sound and well she is. She trotted most of the way and thoroughly enjoyed herself image

I think Brian is a great name for a horse image Brian May and Brian Cox are in good company image

Fitted kitchens are fab until you have to repair or replace something! For some reason the plumbing for the dish washer is behind the fridge drawers which is fun - not, already on our second dish washer.

Picked up a cracking iPod/iPhone Bose Dock second hand for £50 a few weeks ago, brilliant sound. Going to download a bit of Queen and rattle the windows image ( thick walls and neighbours not too close so being self indulgent rather than anti social image

(((( waisters ))))

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~DL's chum~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm waiting on news from my dad's blood test.

And step mum has second knee done tomorrow !

And thanks to Snaily it's raining!!!!
  • Options

Afternoon,

~~~~DL's pal~~~~ I hope the news is good.

~~~~Spence's family and various medical issues~~~~

(((Tubs))) glad that Bram is doing well - just wish you could follow suit.

Awww, great photo's Podds, it's lovely to see the boys relaxing - it's so unusual image

Glad that you have a date for your op Noggy, you'll soon be on the road to recovery. How is Penny doing?

DL, good to hear that the back is a little better.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

• Options

Just finished a marathon read back and now have to go start making dinner but first

**********DL's pal********

Must be horribly frightening. Really, really hope it turns out to be nothing. 

((((((((((((((((FarFars))))))))))))))

It's very sad, but it is also a great relief when someone just slips away gently and easily. Thinking of you all. 

(((((((Tubs))))))

Must be soooo painful and frustrating, but as you said, you had a good surgeon and it needs time to heal. xxx

Will be back later! image

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Dad's blood test came back clear..phew. Being referred to ear, nose, throat.
  • Options

The national grid have been on the line wondering what the power surge is down south, told them its the vibe machine for DL's pal.  Hope she gets the all clear.

Nogs.  Can imagine that op is a long recovery with a  lot of physio.  But it'll be worth it.

Good bargain on the Bose docker, I've been looking at them but cant justify the price.  I love my music though, and my tiny speaker doesn't cut it.

Spence, if half term had been last week it was really sunny then!!!

Glad Mr Daffs is ok, though a little grumpy, you should have put cat-nip in the cake, it helps make Harry sleepy, it might work on your noisy neighbours!!!

I'm hoping bloke isn't late in from work tonight because hes coming to help with the washer in favour for his tea being cooked!!!  I'm so bloody tired though, not sure I'll make it to 8pm.  I seem to have developed a sore throat through the day too.  grrrrr

• Options

Oh that's good news Spence - you must be mightily relieved image

• Options
    YumsYums ✭✭✭

~~~~~~~~DL chum~~~~~~~~ Vibe machine set to teeth rattling mode

Tubbs, good to hear Bram is enjoying lifeimage 

Hoorah for Spence dad test resultsimage  

Blimey, secure your whimsies and nic nacs - snailies fella is visiting her. 

Just waiting for my phone call and then I'll don my chauffeur hat

• Options

I hate trying to post and read back on my tablet, but here goes.

Good news Spence.

More DL pals vibes.

Slugs, Penny is doing ok recovery wise but climbing the walls with her enforced couch potato status.  We've got an appointment with a Physio tomorrow.  We're having to pay as the nhs appt hasn't come through.  Not a problem as I'm keen to get some positivity into her recovery.

Podds, cycling seems to be the preferred exercise for knee replacement patients so it shouldn't hold me back.  In my mind I want to be on my turbo 3 to 5 weeks after surgery.  I don't think I could put off surgery very much longer whatever.

No sure how my skiing will be affected though. 

• Options
    YumsYums ✭✭✭

You'll just have to use an old garden sack to sit on and slide down the slopes, noggsimage 

No 2 had a fab day. Been on a test drive in a Maserati and worked in the bay next to Sebastian vettel's £12 million Ferrari. Meanwhile, on a bicycle somewhere in Essex, is a woman of a certain age...!

• Options

Good work no. 2 and we'll done on the bike ride Yums.

• Options

Yay Yums.....glad No 2 enjoyed his day and it's very much to his credit that he's doing this image

Noggs -yep cycling is the mutts nuts for cruddy knees according to both my surgeon and my physio image  Wouldn't be at all surprised if they encouraged Penny onto her bike again further down the road in her recovery image

I have to say I haven't dared to ski on mine downhill properly since the first surgery although it has stood up to cross country skiing.....  I did do a little on the slope in MK last summer with my friend's son and also an hour of learning to snowboard (with heavy strapping) however and it was ok so hopefully all is not lost for you on that front either image

On another front I've spent the day working from home and have managed to reduce my inbox from 1300+ to around 450...........a massive victory

Tomorrow : run (shudders), hair, home, bike to work, do a few hours at work and then if the weather is reasonable a slightly longer bike home image

Now I'm going to give my poor laptop a rest as it's been on the go almost 12 hours today image

Laters

• Options

Spence. excellent news for your pa! When a test comes back clean it is SUCH  a weight off everyone. image  BTW, some impressing chugging there, ma'am. I reckon being ONE SECOND off in 30 minutes is pretty good going, not to mention the impressive splits image

Yums, well done to no. 2 for getting that work experience, even with the taxi hours it's costing. The street cred he's building up will do him no end of good, not to mention his confidence in himself. It's the kind of specific win that can make a huge psychological difference at this age. Good on you both!

Nogs, I really do feel for Penny. She is such an active person, this enforced doing nothing must be driving her nuts. Hope the physio tomorrow can suggest some things that will help her start getting out and about again. As for you, I'd be willing to bet that you will have the fastest recovery from surgery that the hospital will ever have seen! A legend will spring up about this crazy man who came in, had his knee replaced, and then was climbing mountains on his bike just  a few weeks later! image

Podds, love the photos of the boys with their various beds! Do they actually like the enclosed feeling of the igloo??

******DL's pal******

More vibes can't hurt. And hope you are either able to remain absolutely motionless for many hours on end,, or, failing that, that the pain in the back is starting to subside! xx

Pippi, don't beat yourself up, woman. You're busy, you're tired, and on Saturday you had a long and unknown ramble in prospect---I think skipping a run was a sound decisions! Hope the ramble was lovely, and you came back feeling you'd had enough exercise image

Daffs, love the idea of you and Mr. Daffs playing musical cars in the wee small hours image But bribing the neighbours to belt up is undoubtedly a better strategy longer term!

Larry, I love the reports on the wildlife you see around where you live---they were one of the first things I noticed about you all those years ago when we first met image And it sounds like a really fab WAISter meet up in London imageimage

Melds, the project you posted on FB was pretty fabulous, have to say! Just can't imagine when you found time to do it----I mean, surely even YOU can't run and embroider at the same time, can you?!? 

Snaily, don't know whether to send you lots of (((())))) cos the stress sounds awful, or ********* for nan's chest infection----sounded like she was on the mend now, thank goodness, or a giant cheer for sticking with the running through it all, or image for the washer, or image for the bloke! You can have any or all of them! xxx

(((((FarFars))))

Lots of thoughts. Even when it's a relief, it's still a big loss and it permanently changes the world. Take care of yourselves. 

Tubs, glad Bram had such a good time on her outing. Must be good to see her in such fine fettle again. And it's a particularly good time to have found a super sound system: you need to rattle a few windows after the last few weeks, I reckon! image

(((((Coco)))) It sounds like an awful lot of hassle for you at the moment. If swimming works best as a stress-reliever, then do it. And work on Plan B. 

((((Amandax)))) We all know that 'I'm a terrible mum' feeling. It's horrid. But you aren't.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Wow Yums what a day for your boy!!

Thanks all, just now want him seen & sorted.

Snaily, I (& daught) had a Sonos wireless speaker for Christmas, bloody love it image quite expensive ??169 but so worth it image.

Poor Penny she must be going stirr crazy image
  • Options

Hey guys first time in ages managed 5.24 miles in a 7 day period (using a garmin now so the numbers are even more precise lol, i aint to interested in the .0xxx bit unless its 100m-800m I was running!) but every 0.0xx makes you fitter. My legs are still carrying that injury but it is getting better, 2 steps forward 1.8 back...... Went to fast on my second run of the week, was defo in wrong heart rate zone, probably in aerobic zone (not aerobic capacity zone which is quite a different faster thing) wanted to be in recovery/basic cv training zone still i am slightly less crap at pacing than I was the day before so thats all you can ask for.

Also if I could ignore peoples perceptions whilst outdoors, and my own adrenaline rushes and subsequent pace injections, I think I could jog/slow run at 6mph for over a mile now which is a good improvement in endurance. Compared to a similar slower run in December it was 3 miles in 41.51 vs 3.24 in 40.50 more recently so 3-4 minutes quicker at a comparable attempted run.

I joined endomodo. The challenges are cool. But I get a bit down looking at all the old guys and even old girls who smoke me in running. This week will be a recovery week with either a 3mile race on saturday (park run) or a 4 mile long slow run. Id like to get to a level where I can run a half marathon by october. I think I may do some mud runs fairly locally, owned by a rich guy with a castle. If you owned a castle and loads of land there would not be much excuse for not being fit lol!

• Options

Afternnon/morning/evening* 

Strnage shift for me today but I finish at 0500 so I am on the downward slope ...

Nogs, I think you and Pen would make an excellent 3 legged race team once you are done  image
    I have a feeling that things will be a whole lot better with a replaced knee, unless of course they replace it with an elbow or somthing, that could be awkward

Daffs, glad to hear Mr Daffs was located and neighbours were placated, although making them cakes may not have the desired effect if the cake is good!

Podds, for dogs sake dont tell the GPO that the boys have new beds, he'll expect me to buy one and likely sleep on it whilst he keeps the double bed

Yums, sounds as if the boy has done good, he is certainly mixing in the right circles!!

I bought a ipod speaker whatsit from tescos with some vouchers just before christmas which is quite good when I want to listen to my Val Doonican collection but a bit of a pain when I want to use the phone at the same time.  Think I need to upgrade my ipod or something so I can do both.

Chuggs, the cushion is quite impactive certainly but so very easy to do as it is just long stitch. I used to do a lot of embroidery back in the day but I am not sure I have the best eyesight for it these days!  Got a few projects in the pipeline and will let you in on them when I can  image

/members/images/88814/gallery/Needlepoint_Cat_0.jpg

One from the history archives above (its actually very small and is minute cross stitch )

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

Morning

Rushing through as I need to catch a train. Just popped in to scatter some ((((((~~~~~)))))) and wish you happy pancake day/shrove Tuesday/Nutella mayhem - depending on your beliefs and preferences.......

Somehow M..eldy the cute cross-stitch kitten and you don't seem to go together !

• Options
    YumsYums ✭✭✭

Morningimage 

Nice pussy, m....eldy. I take it that's the GPO before you adopted him and he went badimage 

What are these Bluetooth music box things that you speak of an iPods? What's Podds got to do with it? Give my the wireless/ transistor radio any day

DL, you might meet no 2 on a train this week. Hope your back is behaving.

Cycling is good but locally its a bit dog eat dog on the roads some daysimage Takes the shine off it when target practise.

No 2 up at stoopid o'clock n dropped at the station. We play this game all this week. Meanwhile, no 1 is lounging in bed and I'm off to wotk

• Options

Morning all. 

Meldy, I'm surprised you dare keep a picture like that in the house! The GPO would have that sweet ickle puddy tat for breakfast in one bite image I bet that one WAS hard on the eyes, with all the close shading etc but it's lovely. I must say, tho, you really know how to encourage folk: "I have a feeling that things will be a whole lot better with a replaced knee, unless of course they replace it with an elbow or somthing, that could be awkward" No matter HOW Noggie's op turns out, this will give him something to be thankful for! (assuming of course that they don't really replace the knee with an elbow image

Yums, it is annoying when people can't be live-and-let-live on the roads. Sigh. 

DL, hope the back is better, and that your friend hears some good news today. 

Podds, getting rid of 1000 emails is quite a feat! Hope it makes you feel you have a bit more breathing room, at least. 

Somehow the last bit of yesterday's post got cut off so let me add now:

Sluggie, I hope there is nothing worrying about MIL cancelling her hospital appointment. And glad you had such a great day in London. Hope a few days' rest has filled up your reserves of fortitude again. Is there any chance of that August date being moved forward? 

Had a great time on Saturday: all 5 of us had lunch at a super restaurant C1 found in town, best veggie food I've had in ages and the Chuglets said the meat was good too, then we all went to Scheveningen and strolled along the seafront and had coffee and apple tart. Very Dutch thing to do on a winter's afternoon, but we always have such a good time together. Lovely to have everyone living close for once...wonder how long it will last??

Yesterday, astonishingly, I chugged (not much, not fast, but since this time last year it hurt to walk up the stairs, there is progress!), I cycled and I walked. See what an inspiration you lot are? Off to the hairdresser now, at least I can cycle there and back; only 15 k but it's all to the good, right? Happy days all! xx

• Options

Morning each.

It's a cracker of a morning here perfect for a bike ride.  I'll see if I can do an hour or so later.

Penny has her physio sesh this morning, I.m hoping some gym bike or turboing can be achieved soon.

I've had a Bose dock thingy for my iPod for a few years now.  Not exactly cutting edge now but still a nice bit of kit.

• Options

Elbows! Feels like they've sewn one into my eye at the moment image 

Will it be a stainless steel knee Noggs like the hip replacements? My thumb ligament was reattached with a plastic thing rather than a screw, fab surgeon, I've got full use of the thumb which is handy image

Love the needlework Meldy image

Will Mini Yums want to go back to school after this week Yums? image 

I really wouldn't let other peoples perceptions bother you New Runner, when I used to run I didn't give a hoot and I was very slow and rather porky, but I was out actually running ( well run walking ) and the other people weren't. Although I was a little perturbed when the pavement on one of my regular routes was resurfaced, I hadn't realised I'd damaged it so much! 

((((( waisters ))))))

• Options

Morning (just!),

Tubs, the council ( or whatever) obviously recognised you as an elite runner and wanted to give you a better surface for it.

Spence, I'm very glad that the blood tests were OK. Here's hoping for speedy and successful treatment.

~~~DL's friend~~~

Yums, it sounds as if No2 is having a great time. Good on him for organising this.

Well done on reducing that inbox to manageable levels Podds. I wonder what heights it will reach today? We could run a sweepstake on it...

Chuggy, it sounds like a lovely family day out. I'm glad that you are enjoying having everyone in proximity.

How's the back DL?   I do hope it is settling,I know from bitter experience how nasty it is!

Noggy, I remember accompanying one of my older plodpals on a run/walk after he had a knee replaced. He was some years older than you but still made a full recovery and is back to running better than ever. I'm sure that you will make just as good a recovery. I do hope that the fizz session was of benefit to Penny today.

Meldy, I can never get my head around the idea of you being such an accomplished needlewoman. It is such a 'genteel' occupation that is at odds with your ard nut image!

MS is out playing bowls - as usual. I'm going to take SM out for a coffee when he gets back. We're currently experimenting with different times so that we can both have the car when we need it and without me having to spend hours driving everyone around!

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Meldy. I always knew who had a lovely pussy. image

Beautiful day here, 5:5 miles with club pals. image
  • Options

Afternoon image

I’m going to be lazy and say - “wot Sluggs said” (wonders what she was doing in Spence’s toaster!)

Love Meldy’s needlework, it provides balance between genteel and nuttyimage

I just popped in to announce that grandchild #9 (a boy), has arrived safe and well. I know no more than that at the moment. I’m waiting for Handsome Son to ring image

• Options

Big congrats Sue,  A lovely time for all the family.

Penny's fizz session was a revelation.  She is now without leg brace and under instruction to walk 'properly'  (I think the fizz may be called Brunhilde, a name that always terrifies me)  Deffo a step forward.