Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Simon, good run at the Lytchett 10. I recall reading about the 2013 race as it was the BMAF 10 mile champs and also Martin Yelling of marathontalk also ran it. Martin finished 6th overall and first V40 in 57:27 but as he was not BMAF affiliated the BMAF vets prize went  to 8th.

I just compared 2013 to 2015, so 2013 was the BMAF champs and 2015 was just normal, and really no significant difference. In both races about 50% of the top 50 were vet men. Doesn't say a lot for BMAF as an organisation.

The 10 mile champs this year are at Sidcup in Kent which is PhilPub territory and I suspect they will have a strong team out, but wonder if the proximity to London will attract more runners?

• Scott I can't argue with anything you say

I was cautious for a long time as I was worried about blowing and dying towards the end and even though pace did drop last 3 miles I didn't fall apart and a drop off in pace on that section was similar with a lot of people I spoke to as that section of the course did rise slightly !!

My fastest 5 mile was 6-10 and I feel I lost quite abit 1-5!!

All part of the learning curve even at my ageimage
  • Morning all, from a wet and windy Devon! 

Simon, good racing at Lytchett -thought there had to be some sort of hill involved around there! Makes your time even more impressive. Rob, likewise in the half- very solid. Another solid one from Matt too. 

Good long run Philip, and Johnas, that is simply impressive mate! You realy are getting back on form.

How is the foot Iron? ,

Scott - trouble with being a full time athlete is too much time to eat cake, unless you are Ric, in which case any spare time is spent burning off calories on the bike image Ric, you are going to monster Staines! 

Dachs, it is funy how some races wipe you out and others don't. I've been struggling this week after Wokingham and speedwork has been out of the question, yet just a couple of years back I ran a PB at Wokingham then took 2 mins off my 20 mile PB the following Sunday in what I still rate as one of my top 3 results.  

So, a slightly OCD busting 38.2 miles last week (just stopped myself doing 1.8 in the evening by drinking lots of beer!) with yesterday morning being a VERY hilly but very nice xc of 12.4M. Navigation included and on top of the 2300ft of climbing it came out at a very speedy 10.01 pace!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Bus - back in your element! XC, shed loads of elevation and beer! have a good holiday

PMJ - Sidcup will be my first race since June after not being able to do Wokingham. Kent champs as you say so the Harriers will be out in force so a good day out is on the cards either way.

Dachs - I'll still be working with models but just less hands on with that side of the business imageimage

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with beer. Its my latest (last week) training discovery. My club mate became the oldest ever Middlesex Marathon Champion at 63 years of age (2:57) having sunk seven or eight pints of real ale the previous evening. 

The following week a young lady offered him her seat on the train as respect to the elderly. He wasn't delighted (but hid it well).

Bus, yes Staines. Its a target race of sorts. I'll reveal some stats surrounding the previous three years: 

2012: finish time 37:13, av mileage for previous 6 weeks, 38. Body wt 130lb's.

2013: finish time 36:28av mileage for previous 6 weeks, 40Body wt 129lb's.

2014: finish time 37:58av mileage for previous 6 weeks, 22Body wt 128lb's.

Obviously you know the training I'm currently on. The main difference is my weight has come down to a fully loaded (fed & hydrated) weight of 119lb's.

As to future results, speculation apart. I have to actually do something.

12 miles XC already today, breakfast done. I'll hop on the bike in an hour or so, with lager at hand via a straw image.

🙂

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    So average weekly mileage nearly double and you're 10lbs lighter than previous best year? Those 2 factors alone should see you do well in theory Ric
  • Great 10m Simon.

Even unemployed there is a limit to how much training you can do. Partly motivation but also you can only increase it so much before the body breaks. Also I don't know how I had time to work as I seem so busy.

Job interview went well today, got a massive hint that I'd be back for the second interview, when she asked me if I was free next Monday.

I feel a bit of pressure to get this job, as not only is it a nice cycle ride there but they have lots of showers and a gym!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

And, presumably, since you're identifiable online, because the job is a perfect match for your skillset, you share the organisations goals and values, and you feel you could add significant value to the work they do? image

Very handy 10m there Simon, and nice collecting of old man trophies.

• Yep, Dachs, all that stuff too.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Here's hoping it works out for you AG.

Apologies Simon - somehow missed your post! Tasty time indeed, lumpy course or not
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes Johnas, I'll do well in theory. It's the fact that matters really.

And, in case anyone (even the lurkers) wonder, no I haven't won the lottery. It's all my own work. I was inspired at the age of 15 by some angler who decided at the age of 38 that he'd rather spend all his time fishing. He retired at 46. I copied his example. I'm now 54. And I'm like Forrest Gump riding that mower. 

It can be done. And without earning mega bucks.

But who wants to know how?

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Inheritance,buying a house in the days prices were very low, living a very frugal lifestyle, wife working, topping up your readies with some gardening, and bulk buying tuna bagels.

Something along those lines.

• Cheers all for the kind words etc..got soaked doing a gentle 7 miles along to Boscombe Pier and back, rested up the quads this afternoon with a beer, big hula hoops and the Big Match Revisited, yep Ric, nothing wrong with beer at all!!

Phil- Herne hill's old boys have been touting the Sidcup 10 as one to do, but it's the day after the intercounties, so a no go there! Probably near to ease off a bit before the nationals on Saturday I suppose.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Rob.   Lets put this weekend into context.  You ran a 74 in your first half in 32 years.  Also it's not like you race loads of 10ks either. You can be forgiven for a few race day minor pacing issues. Your training has been excellent I'm sure that time will come down. There aren't many on this thread who have a time as fast as that.    I think that's a great marker down. Congrats.  

Simon, sounds like a good performance for you too.  Congrats

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Furthermore Rob, that time would have been 5th quickest in the whole country last year for V50.

Although I'm slightly shocked that it wasn't even first V50 in your race, some geezer did 1hr 11. What on earth!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Inheritance,buying a house in the days prices were very low, living a very frugal lifestyle, wife working, topping up your readies with some gardening, and bulk buying tuna bagels.

Something along those lines.

The inheritance played a part but wasn't the reason. The frugal lifestyle is totally correct, along with one or two other things. 

Joined a BMAF club, Vets AC. With an eye on some Masters events.

Sidcup 10! hmm. I haven't forgotten the drubbing received at the feet of the HHH old boys at Aldershot last year. image.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    SG, that V50 has ran a low 32 10k this year. In years gone by he's got a 2.12 marathon to his name too. :-/
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

What other things Ric, the dream is to retire youngish and in good health!

Epic Matt, that's the only world. Some people are born to run, and some are just lanky bastards who find more satisfaction in running then football!image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps, 2.12 marathon? That'd must be international level

• He ran in a World Cup marathon and got a team bronze

He's also a 62.40 HM and several other pretty quick times !

He was an international athlete from about 13 years old starting XC and basically has always been class

He got bored with running mid 30's but carried on training and also took up concept 2 rowing and for some years held the WR for his age group rowing a marathon

He made a brief comeback in his early 40's and won the county XC champs !!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, it's mainly about acquiring assets in one form or another.

Anyway, aren't you busy tonight?

/members/images/493151/Gallery/SG.jpg

As for the Uk rankings.

I'll be a V55 in November. I fancy my chances of getting near the top of that list.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Property? And renting it out?

I'm watching, but there's some drying paint that's equally entertaining.

Although I dare say i'll make the trip up north for the quarter final if we can sneak through .

Northern boys, anything race wise on, weekend of 7th March?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

As for the Uk rankings.

I'll be a V55 in November. I fancy my chances of getting near the top of that list.

That's got to be a given. Especially if your big mileage/skinny weasel ratio sees a fair improvement on already not exactly slow times.

• Trafford 10k on the 8th but I think race full !!

Oulton Park 10k or HM on 8th

Wrexham HM on 8th
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Actually SG, the property is the one you live in. Own it. Completely, as fast as possible. That way you succeed in removing your rent/ mortgage bill, for life. 

Enough said on that subject, but in defense of your comment on 'paint drying', your reaction is the same as 99% of the population. It's why I was forced out of 'financial services' after just three months. I left, and took my own advice with me.

Training matters then. Reaching the top ten V55 standard; for me, is feasible at the moment. A club mate Chris Finill was 7th last year doing nothing but 18:30 parkruns. I'll have to wait a while yet though.

Needless to say. Any success for me will be a success for the inhabitants of this thread. The motivation I get from you guys shouldn't be underestimated. 

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    You're up earlier than me Ric! image

I see JohnnyD is on the start list for Trafford! Don't wait for us lot!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    SG, if you look on ukresults there's a few races. How about dipping your toe in a spot of fell running? There's the Stan Bradshaw Pendle round tell race, a local classic. Low key and costs about a fiver or something, perfect. I'll be watching the race.

Or there's a 6 mile multi terrain called the roddlesworth roller near chorley.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Hi Matt, I was asleep at 9 last night, awake at midnight, asleep again at 1, awake again at 3:30, asleep at 5 and up at 6:30. I did some training and ate something between kips.

Its the only sleep I'll be doing. I was told once that a full time runner; Mike O'Rielly, the guy who organises one of those big London 10k races, slept 16 hours a day between three training runs. Steve Ovett did the same apparently. 16 hours!!

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I had a late night last night as I watched Broadchurch that finished at 10. I never saw 10.02pm though! I just seem to be wide awake once I open my eyes. My wife tells me I should lie there until I fall back asleep which I've tried. It just means I'm awake with my eyes closed until my daughter shouts for me which can be anything from 5-6.am.

I'm fond of an early night though!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Rob/Matt ta. The idea of taking a race in is of course an unlikely one, bearing in mind it's a knackering trip as it is. Always worth a look though, even if it was just using it as an easy pace run.

4.29am Ric? Cripes. I could definitely do the sleeping of a champion.

10.5miles for me today, made up of 3miles easy, strides, 6miles steady (6.29 average, ps don't worry Ric, not claiming that as easy), strides and cool down. Hamstrings seem to be less tight these days, but glutes have the odd moan, as well as this new slightly perturbing feel in the pelvis. Will just keep the strengthening stuff I know has been effective to date going.

Have also started adding a small amount of proper core stuff in, just a plank after each run. Just started with a nice 1min, and the last one came out 90secs. Will never put an epic time in, think the best I got was 2.30 last year