Comments

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    It didn't really explain what his training / ultra background was and how far up the field he would have finished on more training.

An interesting read though.
  • Options
    He's pretty good multiple Spine finishes I think, third this year image

Yeah, that good. so not quite at my base level image
  • Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Very interesting. I'm not signed up to an ultra this year for just that reason. Mind you, I always say I've done more training than I actually have, just to myself.

• Options

he has years of endurance in his legs though... must make a difference........and in an hour he would probably go twice as far as me,.....#

I will stick to my 12 to 20 hour schedules  image

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If he has finished the Spine a few times then he has plenty of years of miles under his belt which will make things a lot easier.

It's a bit similar to me saying "in 12 weeks time I'll run a 10k with only 1 hour a week training"
  • Options

image You would Still bloody well beat me *sulk* 

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    90 minute hill sessions sound a bit tough. I doubt I want to run more than 3 hours a week if I were doing that.
  • Options

Makes a lot of sense. You have to have some sort of conditioning base though.

• Options

Certainly an interesting approach. A lot of hills in there which must up the endurance considerably, and as you say seren, given his speed he is going to be covering a lot more miles in that time than most of us would manage!

• Options
    GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

Sort of an ultra version of the F.I.R.S.T. / Furman "Run Less, Run Faster" programme I suppose. I used that when training for my first marathon and it nearly killed-off my running career, every run is tough - there's no big, long, slow runs in the programme.

In fact, that's why I got into ultras, because I like being out for a long time - my normal weeks are 12-15 hours with 8-10 of them being at the weekend, but then I do have the time to devote to it.

If I didn't have the time, then I'm not sure I'd be doing ultras - but each to their own image

• Options

Damian's finished the Spine Race twice (3rd place this year and 4th in 2014). He wrote the National Trail Guides Pennine Way guide book and several other guidebooks, so presumably he's got a lot of long distance walking behind him. He's also pretty fast over 100 miles (sub 20 hours at the Cotswold Way Century in 2014).

• Options

Dam, as his bestest friends call him, has been at it a while and does okay.

• Options

A lot of people do complete ultra's on low mileage, but in my experience they are usually starting from having the necessary fitness base, and working down. 

As an ultra runner on the learning curve, working up to the distance for the first time, you need to do the training and build up the necessary fitness base.  

If you come at it with the idea that you can succeed by default, then you are setting yourself up for failure.  

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    There is a 27 mile ultra advertised on here somewhere... Not a huge leap from a marathon really image