Options

wannabe ultra runner?

Comments

• Options

Alcow - not an expert in this sort of thing at all, but surely a pair of custom orthotics would be your best bet? Most trail shoes are neutral, so having your own orthotics to insert would give you a lot more options. I'm surprised that your physio didn't suggest making you a pair (although I believe they are fairly pricey).

• Options

Hey all,

so last year I completed the London Marathon ( 5 hours) and I am doing Manchester this year ( hoping for 4:30/45 ish). I am training for Manchester currently and on my build up phase. 

However, I would love to try an Ultra. I know some people doing the Brecon Ultra in November, but that looks tough, can anyone recommend an Ultra from June/july onwards that is good for beginners? 

• Options

Big fan of Ladybower 50m

it's a small 5m and then 3 x 15m loop. So only need to carry stuff for 15m not 50. Can stop at your car at the end of each lap to stock up. 13 hour cut off, some grass, a few km of rough track and some roads on each lap, and a small set of steps to go up and down 4 times, takes place in Sept around 21/22nd love it. Going back for my 3rd year probably this year. 

• Options

Gritstone Grind by Beyond Marathon is in  September and is specifically aimed at beginners.  Never done one of their events, but their reputation is good.  

XNRG events have no cut off so are very beginner friendly.

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Hi All been lurking around for a while now but have finally bitten the bullet and entered my first Ultra yikes.

It's the Run to the Castle by How Hard Can It Be events in August 42 miles on coastal path from Aberdovey to Harlech my welcome e-mail say's it's ideal for a first ultra. 

I'm doing Trail Marathon Wales at the end of June (and will hopefully get up to a 24 mile training run before this) so that's 2 months before then thinking of another marathon length run and one of 28-30 and probably 1 or 2 x 20ish runs does this sound like enough ?

• Options

Would twenty 5km races in twenty hours be considered an Ultra?

http://merseyraces.co.uk/summerfestival.html

Details still a bit vague at the moment;
      "There will be 20 5k races Jemma over the 24 hrs, it's a team event so a team of 5 will complete all 20 races (4 each). Hope that helps." .
    I have contacted the organiser asked about single person teams and they've said maybe, if there is enough interest.

• Options

Ohh signed up for the dukeries 40m in May, and nomad 50m in June both quite local image 

• Options

Hi all

good to see you  are all putting the miles in. Hope you don't mind me butting in.

alco

Orthotics from Boots in neutral trainers will do you fine. I had my feet assessed and custom made orthotics, not a patch on the off the shelf ones I bought from boots. Keep doing foot/toe scrunches though or your feet will just get weaker because they are being heavily supported. 

• Options
    Evening all, I've not popped in for a while . Wondered If anyone doing TT on Saturday image
  • Options
    Booktrunk , did you do Spine challenger this time ?..
  • Options

Yes, failed miserably the wind destroyed me, bashed my knee up and hardly got anywhere.  Loved the whole experience it was amazing.  But the Winds just blew me away. Lots of fun and the other competitors were awesome.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Thought I'd post my ultras for 2015.  Anyone doing any of these?

4 Apr  American River 50, California

22 Aug  Race to the Castle 42 (mid-Wales)

5 Sep  10Peaks Brecon Beacons 55

12 Sep  Black Mountains 40-ish (MCN)

• Options

T Rex, I'm not doing any of those, here are mine.

17 May - Dukeries 40m 

11 July St Cuthberts Way 46m

15 August Ultra Tour of the Peak District 30m

19 September Hardmoors 60

• Options

I think I've signed up for the Dukeries image 

• Options

You think ???!!

• Options

Need to look on sientries, pretty sure I have image

Edit: Yep, looked and I am.

• Options

For me:

25th April Fellsman

15th August Ultra Tour of the Peak District 60m

Really excited about both of them!

What drew you to that US one T-Rex?

Dukeries and the Hardmoors series are both on my radar for future years, so will be interested to hear how you all get on.

• Options

For me:

April - SDW50

May - TP100

July - Racing the Planet's 155 miles/7 days in Ecuador

October - Downslink 38 mile ultra

• Options
    GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

March - MCN Round 1 Ultra, (Black Mountains)

April - Fellsman

May - Transylvania 100km

June - Dragon's Back

Everything prior to DB is just training really image

And possibly, a 100-miler in the USA in the Autumn... Looking at Pine to Palm, Javelina, Chimera, Rio Del Lago

• Options

Dragons Back. that looks fantastic.  Good luck.

Hope your 'training runs' go well image

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I see I've started a trend.  All looks very interesting!  Some monsters in there.

Hardmoors 60 is on my to-do list.

LN&B - eldest son is getting married over there 10 April, so we are having an extended stay for a couple of weeks.   I just happened to search on various websites to see if there were any races I could do on 4 or 5 April, our other free weekend, and came up with that one!  It involves a 0130 departure from San Francisco to catch a 0410 coach taking runners from the finish to the 0600 start ...  Going to be a long day.

• Options
    GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

T-Rex, if you're up in Northern California you could do a lot worse than go exploring some of the parks around there, especially the redwoods...

The Muir Woods just off the Golden Gate bridge are a bit of a tourist trap, so if you head south for an hour there's loads of alternatives. I went to the "Big Basin State Park" for a day and hiked about 13 miles last year, it was absolutely brilliant. It's the natural version of being in New York, looking up at the skyscrapers!

The trails are superb and I would have been running but had done 105 miles around Lake Tahoe a few days earlier so wasn't really up for itimage

• Options

Sounds as though you are in for an exciting couple of weeks T Rex, although the early start is not so appealing!

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I'll try to sleep in the day on Friday and get up about 2300.

GeeeM - thanks for tips.  Trying to avoid too much driving and Jnr has arranged various activities lined up for the wedding party the week before, including something involving mountain bikes ...   We'll check out the tree, though.

• Options

My schedule for this year is not finalized yet.  

I did the Thames Trot two weeks ago.  

I have confirmed places in the Thames Ring, and the Wasatch Front 100, so some big dreams.  

• Options

Enduroman 200 for me. Doing Run Until You Drop challenge thingy at the moment, which is good training and good fun.

I did some Haribo handing out duty at the ThamesTrot around Long Wittenham, first one in 4 years I haven't run, so thought I should support.

• Options

Compton 40, Ridgeway 40, Ridgeway Challenge

• Options
    Ashridge trail- March

Compton 40-April

TP100-May

Northants ultra (?) - June

chiltern challenge ( as training ) - July

NDW100-August

hi Tigs * waves *
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

That's a serious collection of ultras, loulabell.  The only one of those I've finished is NDW100.  A great race.  I seem to remember the last 20 miles being a little dispiriting - probably my state of mind by then!   Got to mile 72 of the TP100.

TMW - is that TRA's Ridgeway '85' late August?  A brilliant choice for anyone doing their first overnight event (or if you are at the sharp end - going into the night ...)

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

The Thames Ring is outrageous. Don't know how folks do it.  But I suppose Mimi Anderson is planning her double Thames Ring ...