First Timer Tony: #asics262

Comments

• Great running and pacing Tony, wasn't it a fantastic day for it image

• Just seen results. My chip time was 1:37:39. 

• So Tony's 'reward' for a great run at Brighton Half today is a revision of pace guidelines and an adjusted few weeks of training.

Here's what week 10 now looks like, along with the new pace guidelines. A sub-4 finish is definitely in Tony's grasp now. image

Slow/recovery 9.30-10.25
    Easy 8.30-9.30
    Steady 7.55-8.30 (current half marathon pace 7.55)
    Brisk 7.30-7.45 (current 10k pace 7.29)
    Fast 7.05-7.20 (short rep speedwork will be faster than this, with guidelines given) (current projected 5km pace 7.12)
    Long run pace range 8.30 to 9.50

Week Ten (43M) w/c 23 Feb TRAINING DAY
    Mon 5M of 2 x 2.5 miles slow or 5 slow continuous
    Tue Rest
    Wed 8M of 1M jog plus strides then 5 x 1M winders (first one approx. 10k pace then each one faster than the last, 2 min jog between each.) NOTE: Each one only a couple of secs quicker is fine – not masses otherwise you’ll end up sprinting by last one! 1M jog
    Thu 5M of 2 x 2.5 miles slow or 5 slow continuous plus 3 x 60m strides
    Fri 5M steady to include 10 x 30 seconds fast uphill with walk/jog recovery 
    Sat 20M TRANING DAY
    Sun Rest or cross-train

• Hi Tony

Well done again – all your hard work has paid! That is a great time.

Pre-race eating on Sunday was fine; the morning before race is about making sure you do eat something but most of the work for carb intake has been done. You carb intake was high before race so if you felt good on it lets go with that as the plan for Paris BUT I want you to practice exact timing of this breakfast 2-3 times more before Paris so it is something you do not worry about at all- that part of the day should be free from nutritional worry.

Let’s come back to carb loading in a couple of weeks – I strongly  believe for most people it can help maintain your pace for longer so better outcome but the biggest factor will be doing the right training –getting the miles in and correct  pacing so Sam is the big picture in your success. Where I come in is to help you achieve a little more – I become the detail of the picture to make it better /the icing on the cake -those extra few minutes gain than you thought possible so I can help by making sure you are not carrying too much excess weight and having a nutrition plan that can help you in the last 6 miles. Get this right and you should get an even faster time than just doing the right training and pacing but get the pacing and training wrong then there is no come on race day.

So let’s do two weeks of focus on weight and let’s see how you go- I need your head to feel that anything is possible! I really struggle to believe you have not lost body fat on the plan you have been on & I don’t like reducing this further so for 2 weeks let’s aim for weight loss and then reassess. It would be interesting to see if the below plan looks to you like a lot less overall food? I have tweaked it and the intake is less. Try and weight yourself twice weekly on same scales at same time of day so we can hopefully see a trend of how weight is going.

Breakfast:

• 30-40g fruit and fibre or 30g porridge & milk. If not running before work or at weekend/fancy a change have a couple of eggs – boiled, poached on 1 slice of toast.

Mid-morning choices:

• Post run:  400ml of skimmed milk (148kcal. 20g carbs& 15g protein) & piece of fruit (fresh not dried).
    • If no running before work: 25g of unsalted whole nuts look at ingredient list and only the nut type should be on package
    • If running at lunch (rather than morning): 200g natural yoghurt & small-medium banana

Lunch:

Ideally this would be 60-70g dried weight pasta or rice or medium potato or a few baby potatoes with meat/fish/egg salad. Meat or fish no more than 150g. 200g cottage cheese if not having meat or fish. 2-3 small eggs. Loads of leafy green and other veg- grated carrot, beetroot, tomatoes etc.

Mid-

• Between 3-4pm  30g bowl of porridge with skimmed milk & 15g of whole nuts   

Dinners:

• I would suggest again like lunch making this lower carb based but do not exclude so if having pasta or rice then aiming to have 60-70g of dried weight or a small potatoes  or 3-4 baby potatoes and a decent portion of protein so a medium- large chicken bread breast. The aim here is to have loads of vegetables & stay away from cheese and white sauces. Water to drink. Could you aim to have oily fish twice per week – salmon, trout, sardines, mackerel etc (at lunch or dinner)

Post dinner:

• 200g natural yoghurt & 10g of nuts if wish after dinner – let me know if you have this or not or this snack can be used during the day if
  • Fairyclogs wrote (see)

Well done Tiger Tony, grrrreat race. You certainly earned your stripes. Impressed with your pacing too for a well deserved PB. High Five.

I was less consistent with mile splits gradually getting slower and slower. It didn't help having to run through slippery mud in the woods around mile 12. It was a case of dig in and hold on. I think my PB days are over but happy with 1:38:26 and 1st VW55. Thank God for Age Grading!!!

Awesome run from Amy too. She will be closer to 3:30 than 4:00 in Paris at this rate.

Enjoy the rest of the day, basking in your Glory. xx

Hi Fairyclogs/Merilyn, thanks for the post and what great news - a trio of PBs with Tom's the best of the bunch (HM in 01:19:26) beating his previous PB by 9 minutes. I'm really pleased for Amy too as I know she was feeling the weight of expectation to post a sub-1:40 time but not the confidence. Hopefully this will have given her confidence a boost.

I like your HM time especially given you'd had mud to contend with (and not the perfect running surface I enjoyed). The 1st VW55 sounded like it was a consolation for no new Pb (there's hope for me yet to get a top ten finish!).

• Barbie1976 wrote (see)

Great running and pacing Tony, wasn't it a fantastic day for it image

Hi Barbie1976 - thanks for the virtual backslap (the only noise heard from Amy, Tom and I yesterday). It really was a perfect HM day - sunny enough to enjoy the sights and cold enough to cool you down when running. What sort of time did you post?

• I came away with a shiny new PB by over 4 minutes in 1:38:28 so absolutely over the moon image There was definitely something in the Brighton air yesterday for PBs - my husband was hoping to go sub 1:28 and came away with 1:24:00 so we were both a bit shell-shocked by our performances! 

Have you got any other races between now and Paris? 

• Many congratulations, Tony!!! Thrilled for you, what an excellent time yesterday at Brighton! And Amy, Tom and Steve as well! This must be a massive confidence boost for what's to come. The good thing is that you ran at a very consistent pace (and what a pace!). It's also a great opportunity to practice the carb loading. I also struggled a bit last year to get used to the volume of fluid and actually reduced it a bit but other than that, loved carb loading days image How are you liking the gels? I hope you are having a good recovery.

Please stop doing so well or we will have a pace review soon again!!!! (just kiddingimage

I did my 15 miler yesterday and everything went according to plan until the last three miles, where I should have gone down to 9.10 min/mile but my legs were feeling heavy. I think this is related to a massive cramp I had in both of my calves that night, it was horrible, as it happened in my two legs so I couldn't even wake up and try to walk on a cold surface. Cramps were an issue for me last year and Ruth helped me a lot with that so I will ask for her advice later again image As a new thing, I introduced gels in my training for the first time since many months. I just had one Torq with guarana at mile 8 and felt the boost immediately and I did feel good in the stomach.

Thanks for the advice on the running track, I will be definitely doing the speed intervals there because as you say, psychologically sounds like you can concentrate more. Absolutely great if we can meet up one day and train together!

Now that you mention Valencia and Seville marathons (not offended at all image actually, I was born in Zaragoza!), I have read excellent reviews about Valencia and its organisation. Running in both cities must be fantastic. I haven't done so yet!

I have a HM in three weeks, the Monaco Run, a favourite in my calendar. I ran it last year for the first time and the course was beautiful, along the coast, running through small beautiful villages and doing the last miles in Monaco, which is fun. Well, technically is a bit longer than a HM, it's 14.1 miles. I think the reason is that the village where it starts in Italy it's really small and there is no space to start anywhere else because soon you are on the road, and then the geography of Monaco is quite special too, so I guess this is the most convenient start to end distance. I am looking forward to it and sits very well with the training plan as that's the end of week 9, where you had Brighton HM scheduled.

Have a good rest and enjoy your free day!

• Hi Ruth,

I am seeking your advice again regarding the cramps, as they are back image I had a massive cramp (I think the longest I've ever had) in my two calves, at the same time, on Saturday night. It was really painful and I didn't know what to do because, since it happened at both calves at the same time, I couldn't even move. Interestingly, this happened before my long run and not after like last year. I am following all your advice from last year, same diet, same carb loading and I even had a Nuun tablet on the night before.  I did my long run anyway and felt ok, just a small pinch on my right calf every now and then. I have entered yoga classes to improve my stretching.

Is there anything else I could do?

Many thanks image

• Barbie1976 wrote (see)

I came away with a shiny new PB by over 4 minutes in 1:38:28 so absolutely over the moon image There was definitely something in the Brighton air yesterday for PBs - my husband was hoping to go sub 1:28 and came away with 1:24:00 so we were both a bit shell-shocked by our performances! 

Have you got any other races between now and Paris? 

Crikey Barbie1976 - and Mr Barbie1976 - nice work! That's brilliant stuff and I imagine you're still basking in the afterglow. I might have to make the Brighton HM a regular thing - sea air conducive to PBs maybe? Sadly, no more races for me - with the exception of the Kingston Breakfast Run 20 miler on 15 March - until Paris. There's a bit of me that would like to run a proper 20-miler then but I think Sam is keen for me to just do the distance. I'll check in with her on this when we meet for our training day on Saturday.

• Hi Isabel, thanks for your post but sorry to hear about the very unwelcome return of calf cramps - ouch.

I will take your advice and try to slow down as I've had 3 pace reviews already (getting faster each time)! Even I'm not sure I could cope with a fourth revision!

At last, I can allow myself to believe that sub-4 hours is possible. Around December of last year, I was talking the talk about finishing under 4 hours without fully believing it (sort of aim for 4 hours but be happy with 4:05). Now I really think I can do it. I think I've a better understanding of the pace I can run at over an extended period. So, yesterday, I was running at just under 8:00 min/mi avg for the 13 miles but I felt really strong and I was confident I could have managed another 3 or so more miles at that pace. It's not a pace I could keep for 26.2 miles but I think I might manage that distance at a slower pace - say just under 9:0 min/mi avg (i.e. sub-4). Time will tell again.

Btw, I love the idea of your just-over-half-marathon in Monaco - brilliant location and nice timing for you too. It will be a good test of fitness. Will you be able to post any pics?

• The Kingston Breakfast Race is a great run (my husband ran it 3x) as we used to live in Ealing.

Regarding your sub 4:00, based on yesterday's HM time, I would say you are more than equipped for it. When I ran my first sub 4:00 (3:59:46 and yes I don't mind admitted I sprinted for that finish line!) it came off the back of a 1:46:46 HM time at Brighton a couple of months prior. As I'm sure everyone is telling you, as long as you pace yourself correctly (I think the biggest way for the wheels to fall off in a marathon is going off to fast - I learnt that the hard way!!) then I am positive that you'll be basking in a sub 4:00 glow in Paris image

• Hi Tony the Tiger!! Love the puns Fairyclogs just purrfect!

Check out Fairyclogs, and Mr and Mrs Barbie1976 with those amazing PB times! Quite incredible.

Will be interesting to hear the outcome of the cramps answer Isabel Abos. What was thw advice from last year that you are following? Am I right that cramps are related to a fluid and electrolyte imbalance??

Great to see SamMurphyRuns revision of the Tiger's plan based on this new PB. Tony was good Sam and listened to you and did not just follow me; we wished each other good luck on the start line and then ran our own race.

Looks like you need to be well behaved diet wise these next two weeks Tony...no Thai takeaway on Friday night then....oh dear what a shame!imageimage

Thought I'd just pop in with these:

Ok, so I didn't take this one but I like it, it's the start of the Brighton half...

/members/images/859931/Gallery/Brighton_half_start_1.JPG

Here is two fifths of the #Asics262 team, myself and Tony about 30 mins before we set off...

/members/images/859931/Gallery/2_fifths_of_the_Asics_team_0.JPG

And I found this...how appropriate for this weekend!!!! imageimageimage

/members/images/859931/Gallery/Appropriate_for_the_weekend.JPG

Haha! There is also a pic of Tony and I and the Humphries (the camels in London zoo that back onto Regents park! we had to ask a guy to take the pic for us making sure that he got the camels in the background...he def thought we were a bit nuts!) but it is too large to upload and I can't work out how to make it smaller sorry image

And...I couldn't resist....bet you regret teaching me this now Tony!!!

/members/images/859931/Gallery/Tont_the_Tiger.jpg

• Brighton Half Marathon review

I thought I'd write a brief review of the Brighton Half Marathon. It was a fun morning at the seaside and a pleasure to run. I had my doubts about the route which looked a bit linear: a straight line along the coastal road until a turning point, a little loop through a bit of the town centre followed by another stretch of coast road with another turning point. 

/members/images/676683/Gallery/brighton1.jpg

On paper, it doesn't sound as if the route should work, but in practice it actually does. It didn't feel monotonous and there are plenty of well-wishers to cheer you on and offer you jelly babies. It was nice to catch a glimpse of the Royal Pavilion as well as the sea and beach huts.   

/members/images/676683/Gallery/brighton2.jpg

Practicalities? It was quick and easy to park at the race course and then jump on one of the many shuttle buses that took us to the start line. The carnival atmosphere seemed to start on the bus with plenty of noisy, excited runners and their families looking forward to the race. 

/members/images/676683/Gallery/bus.JPG

Eve supervising Pocket Rocket Amy's race number positioning

I've never run a half marathon in a coastal town but it was kind of fun with Brighton's seasidey vibe adding further to the carnival atmosphere. There was lots of activity going on: circus performers on stilts, funky stretching classes and runners in all sorts of fancy dress or running club or charity shirts.  

/members/images/676683/Gallery/stretch_0.JPG

We met up with Tom in the Elite & Media Runners tent that Katie got us into - we're "elite" runners now dontcha know image - I grabbed a quick half cup of coffee and regretfully declined the hot bacon rolls on offer (are you reading this Ruth?). We had another quick chat with Tom at the start line before sneaking into the crowd of waiting runners. I don't think we started in our correct colour-coded section but it didn't matter as the road opened out in town and we found our natural paces.  

I won't bore you with the details of my race as you've already read it, but will just say well done to the organisers and the runners for making it such a great day. The clever postponement of bad weather and its replacement with a beautiful Spring day was much appreciated. I think I'm going to make the Brighton Half and, who knows, maybe the Brighton Marathon too, an annual fixture in my running diary.   

I'm sort of tempted to run the Brighton Marathon this year but I've a hunch I might be busy that day ...   

• Hi Ant

Just sent you a couple of messages (I hope)

• Barbie1976 wrote (see)

The Kingston Breakfast Race is a great run (my husband ran it 3x) as we used to live in Ealing.

Regarding your sub 4:00, based on yesterday's HM time, I would say you are more than equipped for it. When I ran my first sub 4:00 (3:59:46 and yes I don't mind admitted I sprinted for that finish line!) it came off the back of a 1:46:46 HM time at Brighton a couple of months prior. As I'm sure everyone is telling you, as long as you pace yourself correctly (I think the biggest way for the wheels to fall off in a marathon is going off to fast - I learnt that the hard way!!) then I am positive that you'll be basking in a sub 4:00 glow in Paris image

Hi Barbie1976 - yes, I'm looking forward to the Kingston Breakfast run. I quite like the route although the bit from Kingston Bridge to Hampton Court is one I do free of charge a lot. It is my local race so the idea of leaving the house 5 mins before the start is nice.

You first sub-4 marathon sounds a hair-raising adventure! When did you realise you were in danger of missing your target and start pushing on? 3:59:46 is cutting it fine but you must have had a big grin when you'd realised you'd done it! Do you remember what sort of pace you were running at for the first few miles? My plan is to run Paris at about 9:00-9:10 min/mi for 20 miles or so and then see if I can up the pace slightly for the last 6 miles. A modest negative split again - it seems to work for my abilities as a runner.

• I wasn't even aiming for sub 4:00, I was still a bit of a clueless runner then and had no idea about pacing and it was only in the last mile or so that I realised that if I put my foot down and really motored I'd get sub 4:00 - definitely NOT the way to run a marathon and I like to think I'm a bit older and wiser these days! 

Your strategy sounds perfect - now I tend to adopt the approach that the first 20 miles should feel 'easy' and then the race really starts at mile 20. Seems like you've mastered that on your first marathon attempt! image

• Hey Amy - I love your write up of the race on our forum thread - http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/sub-4-amy-asics262/284860-35.html - full of drama, determination and triumph.

I'm liking the new multi-media posting. I'm just sad now that I didn't earn the 'Tony the Tiger' tag before confirming my race name for Paris (plain old 'Anthony'). I can feel a trip to London Zoo on the cards for a photo op - me in my usual hands-on-hips pose in front of the tigers.

Hmmm ... I wonder if I could get away with wearing a red kerchief and tiger-striped Asics running tights in Paris come April ... image

• Sally Boulton 2 wrote (see)

Hi Ant

Just sent you a couple of messages (I hope)

Hi Sally - I've just been to my inbox and read your messages. Thank you so much for the description and the link to your Garmin data (which worked without you having to grant me access). Btw, nice run - 20 miles spot on in under 3:40!

Yes, I will definitely give that run a go. The section of the Thames north of Teddington Lock footbridge that takes you through Ham and the edge of Petersham is completely new to me. I've been a Kingston-based runner for 4 years now and I've never run there with the exception of the Kingston park run which uses a small part of that stretch of river I think.

• Barbie1976 wrote (see)

I wasn't even aiming for sub 4:00, I was still a bit of a clueless runner then and had no idea about pacing and it was only in the last mile or so that I realised that if I put my foot down and really motored I'd get sub 4:00 - definitely NOT the way to run a marathon and I like to think I'm a bit older and wiser these days! 

Your strategy sounds perfect - now I tend to adopt the approach that the first 20 miles should feel 'easy' and then the race really starts at mile 20. Seems like you've mastered that on your first marathon attempt! image

Haha - not bad to be so clueless and still get a sub-4! image Your fitness then must have allowed you to power through the lack of strategy. I think the approach you describe in your last para is one both Steve and Sam advise: when running a marathon they say you need to stay as comfortable as possible for as long as possible with enough left in the tank to cope with the challenges of the last 10km. It's the idea that's stuck in my head and that I'll try to put into practice come April.

• Hi Tony, and I completely forgot to say congratulations on a great time last Sunday!

•  

Isabel Abos wrote (see)

Hi Ruth,

I am seeking your advice again regarding the cramps, as they are back image I had a massive cramp (I think the longest I've ever had) in my two calves, at the same time, on Saturday night. It was really painful and I didn't know what to do because, since it happened at both calves at the same time, I couldn't even move. Interestingly, this happened before my long run and not after like last year. I am following all your advice from last year, same diet, same carb loading and I even had a Nuun tablet on the night before.  I did my long run anyway and felt ok, just a small pinch on my right calf every now and then. I have entered yoga classes to improve my stretching.

Is there anything else I could do?

Many thanks image

Isabel

I think last time the cramps where more frequent and after long runs and not before? You are prone to cramps and often can be no reason but the calf cramping  during the night is most common (not sure that this helps to know it is the most common  area of the body to cramp and at night ). The advice I am aware of with no known cause is stretching calves before bed. Physio may know more about this.  If numbness or swelling then I think you should go to GP to rule out any underlying cause (I don't think this will be the case).

Not much help but the exact cause of cramp is not actually known but we know some triggers - as what we discussed last year.

• Morning Tony, loving my catch up of your thread, brilliant pictures and are you still basking in the PB of Brighton? Hope so.  I have packed the red kerchief and a pair of striped puma tights for you.  They can airbrush out the puma logo. You will look brilliant. image 

Looking forward to seeing you Saturday.

• SupermanRuns wrote (see)

Morning Tony, loving my catch up of your thread, brilliant pictures and are you still basking in the PB of Brighton? Hope so.  I have packed the red kerchief and a pair of striped puma tights for you.  They can airbrush out the puma logo. You will look brilliant. image 

Looking forward to seeing you Saturday.

Aw ... thanks Tim - I'll look forward to wearing them! It will be great catching up with you all and hopefully we'll have that little jogette too. 

• Sally Boulton 2 wrote (see)

Hi Tony, and I completely forgot to say congratulations on a great time last Sunday!

Many thanks Sally. It was a brilliant triple PB with Tom, Amy and I as happy as we were surprised at the times we achieved. The wonders a bit of expert advice can achieve eh?

• Feeling a bit guilty that it's Thursday (already!) and I've not updated my running diary. Here it is:

Week 10/Monday

A busy start to the week meant I had to revert to a bitty run-commute. Here's what the miles looks like:

• Home to station: 0.47 miles (8:50 min/mi avg)
    • Waterloo to office: 2.2 miles (9:19 min/mi avg)
    • Office to Waterloo: 1:92 miles (8:44 min/mi avg)
    • Station to home: 0.45 miles (9:29 min/mi avg)

5.04 miles in total  

Week 10/Tuesday  

A rest day although I had a PT session with Musty at the gym focusing on developing core, glute and leg strength. The DOMS returned the next day (and the day after) although to a lesser degree than after my first session. I did run the 0.4 miles from office to gym (8:32 min/mi avg on my way there and 9:30 min/mi avg on my way back).  

/members/images/676683/Gallery/IMG_0287.JPG

0.8 miles in total  

Week 10/Wednesday

The 'hero' run of 8 miles was scheduled for Wednesday but time constraints meant I had to postpone it. I did a 5-mile run instead involving 10 x 30 secs brisk uphill + jog recoveries (mainly mile 3 but a little bit of mile 4).  

/members/images/676683/Gallery/IMG_0289.JPG

Primrose Hill

I managed the steady pace - between 7:55-8:30 - with the exception of the mile involving running fast up a hill with a slow jog recovery. Inexplicably, I decided to do the last mile a bit faster.        

8:16 - 8:16 - 8:52 - 8:27 - 7:42

5 miles
    in total      

Week 10/Thursday

This was the day of the 'hero' run of 8 miles including: 2 x 1 mile jogs bookending the run 3 x 100 m strides and 5 miles of winders starting at 7:30 min/mi avg with 2 mins of jog recovery between them. The idea was to run each mile just a couple of seconds faster than the last. This is the sort of run I really look forward to in my week as it's easily the biggest challenge for me. A bigger challenge even than a long run at a distance I've not managed before.

So did I nail it? Groan, no (*throws himself on floor in frustration*). Here are the stats:

• 1 mile jog - 9:58 min/mi avg although closer to 11:00 as this included 3 x 100m strides)

• Winder Mile 1: 7:27
    • Winder Mile 2: 7:23
    • Winder Mile 3: 7:21
    • Winder Mile 4: 7:23
    • Winder Mile 5: 7:31

• 1 mile jog - 10:58

So, I start well but just can't find that extra gear for the last two miles. The reason? Possibly a bit of tiredness from the hills the day before and the gym session the day before that. Or - and I hate to have to admit it - I've not quite got the fitness yet to cope with 5 miles of winders starting at my 10km pace (7:29). I'm not that far off and I'm determined I'll get there before April.  

Not only that, I didn't even run 8 miles!  

7.75 miles in total.  

Week 10/Friday

Nice and easy run of 5 miles slow (9:30-10:25 min/mi avg) with 3 x 60m strides throw in. Almost a rest day really.   

• Tony.

You kept the mile reps under 7.31 so considering the PT session and hill session still in your legs, I personally think you are being very  hard on yourself. You may be a Tiger but even they will get tired!

Have a good weekend.

• Primrose hill Tony the Tiger eek!! That was the one you were telling me about? And wow look at those times for the 5miler! You are going from strength to strength. I'm really pleased for you. Looking forward to my McNeill family night in tomorow image

• Ant McNeill wrote (see)

Hey Amy - I love your write up of the race on our forum thread - http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/sub-4-amy-asics262/284860-35.html - full of drama, determination and triumph.

I'm liking the new multi-media posting. I'm just sad now that I didn't earn the 'Tony the Tiger' tag before confirming my race name for Paris (plain old 'Anthony'). I can feel a trip to London Zoo on the cards for a photo op - me in my usual hands-on-hips pose in front of the tigers.

Hmmm ... I wonder if I could get away with wearing a red kerchief and tiger-striped Asics running tights in Paris come April ... image

And yes you could def get away with this!!!!!!!!! imageimageimage

• Week 10/Friday

It was too beautiful a morning not to have a full run of 5 miles slow (9:30-10:25 min/mi avg) rather than break it up into 2 x 2.5 home and back run-commute chunks.   

I ran it from Waterloo to Regents Park via Covent Garden, Holborn and Bloomsbury and included 3 x 60m strides around the British Museum in mile 2. Yeah, just a lovely, gentle run.   

5.01 miles at a 9:35 min/mi avg.

9:25 - 9:20 - 9:32 - 9:23 - 10:08  

I also ran from home to station beforehand (0.51 at 9:41 min/mi pace) more to catch my train than add to the weekly mileage.   

Total mileage: 5.52 miles  

Oh, and here's a picture of a humphrey (very close to the fence this morning):  

/members/images/676683/Gallery/camel.jpg