Options

Sub 3 Tom: #asics262

Comments

• Options

Sounds good Steve. I'll give that a go tomorrow. Think I'll wear my heavier shoes with a bit more heal rather than racing flats just to be sure. 

I've got another physio appointment tomorrow as well

• Options

Steve would you be able to offer some advice please? The Asics plan has 18M with 9M at marathon pace for me this Sunday. I am entered into a local 10k and am trying to work out the best session to do. What would you recommend? 

I've already done 20M with 8M at MP so don't feel like missing what is scheduled would be disastrous, but I am keen to get a long run in. The course is flat and fast and offers potential for a PB. I am a little tired from two races in the last two weeks and have been doing some good mileage. That said, it is half term so I'm certainly getting more rest than usual. Any thoughts? Many thanks. 

• Options

Hi Thomas - I am surprised that you are choosing to race a half marathon so soon after injury. Also as it is the endurance you lack, wouldn't it be better to replace the race with a long training run (20/22)? 

If you take out the 3 week taper from the Paris date, then after Sunday you will only have 4 weeks left for training. As far as I know you only have the one 18 miler under your belt - unless you did that planned 23 and I missed it. What long runs do you have planned between now and the race? 

It is generally accepted that your 5 longest runs should add up to 100 miles  and I have always seen that as a minimum.

But then I am (very) old and do not have anything like your basic speed.

• Options

Hi One Gear. I think this is a fair point, and certainly one which I've been thinking about too. It's been really depressing having been setback by illness and injury recently, but I'm trying to remain positive. 

My longer runs between now - Paris are:

• HM race - 22nd Feb
    • 22M steady - 29th Feb
    • 22M steady -  8th March
    • 17M with 1st hour at 8 min miles & 2nd hour at marathon pace - 15th March
    • 23M slow - 22nd March
    • HM race at 90% or 17M slow - 29th March

This is over your suggested 100 mile mark. 

I've also mentioned to Steve that I can be flexible and am happy to arrange some additional longer runs mid-week if required.

Staying injury free and healthy between now and Paris is the most important thing.   

• Options
    Thomas Rann wrote (see)
    • HM race - 22nd Feb

Staying injury free and healthy between now and Paris is the most important thing.   

Hi Tom, here, here to that last point! From your list of races/runs, it looks like you're all set for Brighton on Sunday? I'll be down with la Pocket Rocket and it will be good to catch up. What time have you been advised to go for as I'm assuming this is a 80-90% Tom we'll be seeing?

• Options

Hi Thomas, that works but is a big step up to hit 2 x 22 milers that close together, so hope you get through it in good shape.

My only reservation would be on your last run. Personally I wouldn't race a half that close to the Marathon, I would normally do a training run of that distance 2 weeks out.

• Options
    That's quite a few 22 & 23 mile runs. What sort of pace will those be Tom? I thought the 23 milers were more for a time on feet kind of run.
  • Options
    Thomas Rann wrote (see)

Just back from 10.07 miles at 7:21 average pace. Felt good throughout which is encouraging. Looks like it might be the last dry run for a while unfortunately! erg. I don't mind racing in the wet but training runs are not so great. 

Ruth - I will be good to do Brighton and can do a practice carb load? 

Good pacing considering the last week.

The half this weekend should be a full 24 hour trial for carb load as well as practising your pre race breakfast and  pre -race snack as if it where Paris with the exception that you don't need any fuel during the race and only drink if and when you feel you need during half. Will pop on tomorrow with any last minute queries.

Brilliant to see you back on your  running feetimage

• Options
    Ant McNeill wrote (see)
    Thomas Rann wrote (see)
    • HM race - 22nd Feb

Hi Tom, here, here to that last point! From your list of races/runs, it looks like you're all set for Brighton on Sunday? I'll be down with la Pocket Rocket and it will be good to catch up. What time have you been advised to go for as I'm assuming this is a 80-90% Tom we'll be seeing?

Hi Ant!! Had another good run this evening so definitely all set for Brighton. Looking forward to you guys down there! If I can run sub 1:23 I'll be delighted, but also aware that the weather might give us some issues! How about you? 

• Options

One Gear – so do I! The HM race pre Paris won’t be at 100% by any means.

KN – will take Steve’s guidance on the pace for those longer runs.

Ruth – I’m actually quite looking forward to eating all those carbsimage I’ll use the suggested meal plan you sent through last time.

Had a good run this evening. 5m acceleration & 1m slow cool down. Splits of 7:06 / 6:51 / 6:37 / 6:23 / 6:03 / 7:36.

Steve, what should I do tomorrow and Saturday ahead of Brighton?  

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Tom - no problem, just don't let it happen again ok! image

Looks like you're back on track again which is great to see! 

Ruth - thanks for helping out there. I completely missed that Tom wouldn't be able to see my post - d'oh! image 

• Options

Tom

really good pace yesterday.

suggest a rest today and then just a few miles jog and strides on Saturday.

I think it is marginally better to do a half-marathon than a very long run having missed the earlier half-marathon and there are enough weeks to focus on the long run and the time target will be less ambitious than it would have been.

I wouldnt expect to do the half-marathon a few weeks before Paris

• Options

Sorequads

after your two pbs I dont think you need another race and would be best to focus on training and you can't really combine the 10k into the suggested session.

KR the three runs over 20 mile will all focus more on time on feet and the length suggested will be adjusted but probably one will have some faster running in.

• Options

Great, thanks Steve. It's a pretty course so I might just do it at MP at the end of my long run. 

Good luck with the half, Tom. 

• Options

Evening all, Hope you are all well... I sat down and calculated that it has been nearly 5 weeks since i last went out on a run. I haven't been able to get to the physio for a follow up appointment but have a 2nd week off next week so hope to fit in a visit then. I might try get out for a slow 3-4 miles on monday morning as I have been playing football with the kids this week and haven't had any pain so I'll try run and hope for the best..

Tom - Glad to see you back on your feet. Best of luck for tomorrow, hope all goes well.

• Options

Was at the Nationals at Parliament Hill this afternoon.  Unbelievably muddy!   Also v congested.  2005 runners in men's race and first lap involved stopping and walking on several occasions due to congestion.  My slowest ever 'race' at average 8.04 pace (I can't normally run that slowly when I try!) but still came about 60th percentile, so not disastrous.   Strangely enjoyable but probably helped by overtaking best part of 200 runners on second lap.   Oh, to do similar in a marathon!

Good to see you recovered quickly Tom.  Enjoy Brighton.

• Options

Good luck in Brighton today Tom!!! Hope you have a great race and the weather is kind to you... image

• Options
    Weather was kind and tom ran 1:19 - I did 1:22 so did at least beat him on age-grading!
  • Options
    Awesome running today to both Tom and Steve. Complete inspirations. What and apt name you have Tom Rann, cause you sure did image
  • Options

Wow - well done Tom and Steve. Brilliant times. 

• Options

Tom - wow!!!, a fantastic time. 

That is more like a Championship time for London (2:45).

I take back the training advice, with that basic speed you can probably do what you like in training and get round in under 3 hours.

• Options

I managed to persuade him to change his target from 1:23 to 1:20 before the race when saw conditions were going to be better than predicted and there were a few others who i saw were capable of a sub 1:20 who Tom has beaten over 10km.

He paced it really well - unlike me as I was a little too aggressive early on and headed Tom for quite a while did my best 5km time for a few years and found the last 10 hard and slowed but ended up with best half for five years though only my 101st best.

It was a five minute PB for Tom and I think worth pyshologically getting a good half time under the belt when they may have also been a need physically to get long runs in.

Now he has to focus on long runs as obviously the speed and speed endurance is good. In close on a year, Tom will be a sub-2:50 marathoner but the focus has to be a sub-3 first.

• Options

Good national Golfer - I was there all day and it was very muddy. I wanted to run but was having to report and thought I needed a half marathon more and less risk of injury.

• Options

Excellent running Tom and Steve.  Different class!

Managed 22 today at 7.40 pace.  Was supposed to be a slow run but the last few were a little quicker, so happy with that.

• Options

Top running guys - you made the most of the break in the weather!

1:19:xx should be a comfortable sub 3 from here on in........if the endurance is there, as I am sure it will be by mid April.

I was at a very much slower pace today on a hilly 20 miler over Wayfarer's Walk which runs south of Newbury. A good 75-80% of the total was off road. There is a route from there all the way (65m) to Emsworth on the coast.

Anyway, 387 meters of climbing for our 3 hour run in cold, frosty conditions from 8:30 am - it is now blowing a gale and pouring with rain.

• Options

Good runs today Golfer and Mike - it was breezy today in places at Brighton but temperature ideal and conditions were much better than they predicted midweek. Maybe because I went out fast, it had a few more ups than I recall from before but it's a faster than average course.

• Options

Afternoon all and thanks. Absolutely delighted to run 1:19:26. Steve was 5th on age grade – v. impressive.

Any (First Timer) & Amy (sub-4) also ran PB’s, and it was great to catch up with them.

Weather really was kind despite some dodgy early forecasts! Roads were icy when I arrived around 8am, but it warmed up quickly which led for some awesome support.

Particularly delighted with the consistency of my mile splits which were all between 5:59 - 6:11, and I finished strongly with my last 4 miles: 6:04, 6:00, 6:00, 5:59.

Steve did change my target time during the warm up which I’m very grateful for.

Have an annoyingly large blister on the sole of my foot which is rather irritating. I’m wondering if I did my laces up to tightly, squeezing my foot, and not allowing for the fact that feet expand when running. I was slightly paranoid about it pre-race as last time I wore those shoes the laces came undone mid-run.   

Amy – I know right. It would be embarrassing if I couldn’t run though! 

• Options

Iain, great to hear you’re on the mend. You must be pretty excited to be getting out there again! I started craving running so badly even with my comparatively insignificant injury layoff!

Sounds like a frustrating muddy run golfer, but great you managed to enjoy in nonetheless. Great 22 today.

• Options

Amazing times Tom and Steve - I it was a fantastic day for it wasn't it?! image 

Question for Steve - what kind of time in a half translates to a sub 3:00 marathon? (Not for me I hasten to add but my husband who finished today in 1:24:00 - he was previously aiming for sub 3:05 in Brighton marathon, but wondering if he should up the ante a bit after today). Thanks!

• Options

Brilliant run Tom (and Steve too). That didn't look likely a week ago. I'll take heart from that since I'm on the injury bench now. Stupid muddy stupid National XC. I've never dropped out of a race before, but I slipped in the mud and landed awkwardly and have done something to my lower leg. It was much worse this morning but has improved slightly after first my lower back went crunch, and then there was a massive crack in the vicinity of the pain a few hours later. Still hurts a lot though.