Sub 3 Tom: #asics262

Comments

• Ouch, Speedy - are you going to see a physio? Hope it's easily fixable.

Brilliant runs by Tom & Steve - I have to say Tom that you're so obviously faster than me based on your training that I'd be slightly offended if you didn't beat my PBs in actual races!

Barbie - I think it depends what kind of runner your husband is, but Speedy and I both ran sub 3 hour marathons last year with 1:24:xx HM times.

• As it happens Lit my first physio appointment for that injury I picked up last July (!!!) is this Thursday. So glad I kept it despite that injury having long since cleared up.

• Ruth, I tried the 24hr carb load plan. I must admit, I was really enjoying it until the post-dinner meal on Sat, and just couldn’t stomach both cereal and toast after pasta for dinner, so just went with cereal. This morning I also struggled to get everything down, and opted not to have the 2nd piece of toast, although I had already eaten cereal and a banana.

That being said, I’ve never felt better in a race and had a faster 2nd half. 2014 Sub-3 Roger was right – you are a genius! 

• Thanks Barbie. Did you run yourself?

Sorry to hear you’ve picked up an injury Speedy. Lucky you have a physio appointment so soon – really hope you sort it out quickly.  

• Yes came away with a 4 minute PB in 1:38:28 so over the moon with that (don't really belong on your thread but was just checking in to say well done! image )

Good luck with the rest of your training, you're in a different league to me but am loving following your progress. 

• Congrats. That's awesome! Haha, everyone is welcome on the forum Babie.

• Tom it was the training schedule not the food! - it's great it worked out well and i'm sure it was a factor and wished I'd got my preparation right and fuelled better and then might have had better second half. I was consistently bad though as all my miles from to six to 12 were all within five seconds of each other.

Re HM times, it depends on the training and experience and basic speed. ie Speedy Goth's 200 miles per week training make up for the slower HM time!

with my 40 years of marathoning and endurance (Tom kindly pointed out today that all my PBs were set before he was born), I know that a 83 means I am in sub-3 shape as but I wouldn't necessarily be as confident if it was a relative beginner but in theory 88/89 should feel comfortable at halfway.

And there are runners with great endurance who can run 85 for a half and do sub-3 but also I know sub-80 runners who can't break 3.

I think a rough rule of thumb for heavy endurance based runners is add 5-6 minutes to half time and double but to be really confident add 8-10 minutes is better.

• Thanks Steve, we're both much better at endurance than speed! 

• Please note - I do not actually run 200 miles per week. Though I possibly would if I didn't have to go to work to earn a living. 

• I don't run 200 miles per week either. Though I probably would quite like it as I enjoy long runs a lot more than I do speedwork!

• yes sorry - mistyped that - I once did 180 in a week. sorry to hear you had a worst niggle than thought at the National. It was one reason why I did decide to avoid running there.

well done on your time Barbie.

• Congrats on the the 79 minute half time Tom.

• Great stuff Tom and Steve super times.

• Wow!!! Fantastic running Tom & Steve yesterday in Brighton. Brilliant PB for Tom and best result in 5 years for Steve, sounds like an extremely successful day for all concerned. That time must give you so much confidence for Paris now Tom and rightly so!!! I'm really glad that the weather was kind to you and you were able to demonstrate your true potential, congratulations again!

I also managed a PB yesterday at the Great North West HM in Blackpool, hooray!!! The conditions were horrific though and the worst I've ever ran in... We had gale force headwinds and horizontal rain, just vile!!! Having done the race as my first ever HM last year I was looking forward to going back and doing it again, however I'm NEVER EVER doing it again. Blackpool in February; what was I thinking?!?!? It's certainly No.1 on my list of races I'm never doing again...

As for my time, I finished in 1:48.12 (chip time) but I really had to fight for it into the headwind for the final 3miles. I was 49th female finisher out of 478, so almost top 10%, not too shabby... I wish I felt more pleased about it, but in all honesty it was so vile I just want to forget it! Perhaps I'll feel better in the days to come? I guess when you consider I took 4mins41secs off my previous HM PB, and did it last year in 2:00.44 I've come a long way in the past year. At least I really feel that sub4 is achievable in London now...

Will be keeping up with the rest of your training Tom, good luck for all the upcoming long runs!

• Thomas Rann wrote (see)

Ruth, I tried the 24hr carb load plan. I must admit, I was really enjoying it until the post-dinner meal on Sat, and just couldn’t stomach both cereal and toast after pasta for dinner, so just went with cereal. This morning I also struggled to get everything down, and opted not to have the 2nd piece of toast, although I had already eaten cereal and a banana.

Hi Tom,

Well done on PB - training schedule is working for you!

The morning eating was fine and you could do the same before Paris as you had enough to eat at breakfast.

Also happy for you to reduce supper but suggest practice carb load once more on a 20mile plus run and I think you have a few planned? I would also like to see you practice in race fuelling  so need to make the most of long runs. I do feel your gut  needs more practice to take on carbs whilst running. Only suggesting you do carb load once more before Paris but taking on carbs during long runs need a few more efforts and suggest even in  a couple of hard interval type sessions see if you can stomach a gel- although you don't need the fuel it would be good to see when body is tired if will struggle with this - suggest take in around the last 15-20minutes of this type of session.

Well done again- that is an awesome PBimage

• Barbie - last year i ran a 1:25:18 half PB and later that year went on to run a 2:58 marathon so in my books a 1:24 half should be ok...

Well today was a really good day... I got my running gear on and went out for a gentle run. I ran 4.5 miles completely pain free so it looks like the rest has helped. Now to take things slowly for a couple of weeks and then i can start to rebuild my training..WOOHOO image

Tom - excellent PB well done.. 

• good news Iain - hope the sensible patient approach pays off.

Tom Looks like it will be a long run on Saturday at RW training day so can practice fuelling there.

To make sure I can keep up with you I will probably be on my bike!

• Iain Love wrote (see)

Barbie - last year i ran a 1:25:18 half PB and later that year went on to run a 2:58 marathon so in my books a 1:24 half should be ok...

Well today was a really good day... I got my running gear on and went out for a gentle run. I ran 4.5 miles completely pain free so it looks like the rest has helped. Now to take things slowly for a couple of weeks and then i can start to rebuild my training..WOOHOO image

Tom - excellent PB well done.. 

Awesome news Iain. Welcome back!

• Buxton running bunny wrote (see)

Wow!!! Fantastic running Tom & Steve yesterday in Brighton. Brilliant PB for Tom and best result in 5 years for Steve, sounds like an extremely successful day for all concerned. That time must give you so much confidence for Paris now Tom and rightly so!!! I'm really glad that the weather was kind to you and you were able to demonstrate your true potential, congratulations again!

I also managed a PB yesterday at the Great North West HM in Blackpool, hooray!!! The conditions were horrific though and the worst I've ever ran in... We had gale force headwinds and horizontal rain, just vile!!! Having done the race as my first ever HM last year I was looking forward to going back and doing it again, however I'm NEVER EVER doing it again. Blackpool in February; what was I thinking?!?!? It's certainly No.1 on my list of races I'm never doing again...

As for my time, I finished in 1:48.12 (chip time) but I really had to fight for it into the headwind for the final 3miles. I was 49th female finisher out of 478, so almost top 10%, not too shabby... I wish I felt more pleased about it, but in all honesty it was so vile I just want to forget it! Perhaps I'll feel better in the days to come? I guess when you consider I took 4mins41secs off my previous HM PB, and did it last year in 2:00.44 I've come a long way in the past year. At least I really feel that sub4 is achievable in London now...

Will be keeping up with the rest of your training Tom, good luck for all the upcoming long runs!

Hi Buxton running bunny! Thanks a lot – it really has been a timely confidence booster for Paris after a few dodgy weeks! I’m very realistic though and certainly won’t get complacent as I know I still have a lot of LONG hard runs to get in!

Well done on your HM PB in such terrible conditions! 49th female is v. impressive. Imagine what you could have done in favourable conditions…..

Haha, I’ve heard ‘I’m never ever doing it again’ before though, and suspect you just mightimage It’s like the London marathon – I’ve heard many people say they’ll never do it again immediately afterwards, and then a week later they start craving running. The ballot for the following year opens a few days after that and funnily enough people apply again!  

• Thanks Ruth! Training schedule is definitely working for me.

Would be happy to do the same morning eating at Paris. On Sunday I woke at 6am and had cereal, and then had banana and toast at 7.30am. I wouldn’t mind eating half hour earlier though just to let everything settle that bit more.   

Good idea Steve, I can practice in-race fuelling this weekend at the Asics 26.2 training day 2 on the longer run. Ruth, how many gels and how often should I aim for? Also, should I try the 24hr carb load again for that session if I’m trialling the in-race fuelling then or is it better to separate them across different sessions?

Steve, would be a tediously slow boring cycle for youimage 

• Just back from a track session. 1600m warm up and then x6 1000m reps:

3:23

3:20

3:20

3:15

3:17

3:18

Must admit the legs felt a touch heavy and I didn't quite go 100%, but nonetheless still very happy with it. 

Off to Glasgow with work tomorrow, but obviously the first thing I'm packing is my running kit! Will find a 13 mile route for tomorrow evening. 

• Tom did a good session, I wouldn't gave minded him missing it after the half-marathon but he'd effectively missed the last two weeks track and felt he needed some speed in his legs.

While he said his legs were heavy, I'm sure it was the fastest he's run for the session.

My older legs weren't up to a full session and even cutting back had worst session for months but best to have run better Sunday than tonight.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Tom - awesome result at Brighton. You must be well chuffed with that! Just keep an eye on that achilles and you'll be sorted. 

I also found the *proper* carbo loading a real struggle post lunch the first time I tried it.  It definitely gets easier with practice though. I'm ashamed to say that I can easily wolf down that volume of food (and drink) now. A bit more practice and you'll find it a doddle too I'm sure.

Steve - what a great race for you! Very noble of you to slow down and let Tom overtake you as well!image

I know it's a bit different for you having run much faster in the past but you've got to be pleased with where you are now given how things were for you a year ago. 

180 miles in a week? That's just crazy!

Barbie - congrats on the new PB!

Lit & Speedy - wow, sub 3 off a 1:24 half is awesome. Good luck with the physio tomorrow Speedy.

BRB - ah, typical Blackpool weather eh? image Well done for getting round and an excellent PB too. The conditions were probably worth quite a few minutes. Puts you in a great place for your sub 4 attempt.

I've been continuing to do the odd weeks off the programme. Last week went great. Had a decent 18 at 8mm pace. Legs were a bit sore at the end but I think that's to be expected given how little long running I've done since October.

I did the 4x2K reps yesterday and only just avoided vomming. Struggled a bit to hit target speed averaging 6:15-6:30 instead of 6mm pace. Maybe the legs were still feeling it from the weekend. But then I'm probably still a little way from the speed and fitness required for sub 3 at the moment. Hopefully that will improve.

• Such a brilliant time at Brighton Tom, well done, especially given the recent calf niggles.  And Steve brilliant time too, well done.  Hope Glasgow has gone well for you Tom and looking forward to catching up with you and Steve on Saturday.

Don't be late this time image

• Did a slow 13.11 miles at 7:50 pace last night in Troon despite having some rather impatient colleagues waiting for me in the hotel to go out for dinner afterwards!

I met up with an old friend who ran with me for the first 3-4 miles which was cool but after that I didn’t really know where I was going, although it’s quite nice running and exploring and trying not to get lost at the same time. The run included time along the coast, over a few golf courses, and through a forest. So just a little different from my usual London runs! I did forgot how windy Scotland can be though and got a shock after 6.5 miles when I turned into a strong headwind which I hadn’t fully been appreciating with the wind behind!

Today is 9 miles alternating pace of 6:45 & 7:45. I’m travelling back to London this evening so will do it late tonight! 

• Thanks Malcs. It was kind of Steve to let me past!! Are you nervous for England Vs Scotland this Sunday? Guess it’s normal for you to be a little off the pace all things considered, but it sounds like you’re making pretty good progress to me.

Speedy, how was the physio?

Thanks Tim. Hope you enjoyed a great holiday? Looking forward to catching up this weekend. Rumour has it you may be joining for a wee run out? 

• Yup I might be stepping out for a jogette Tom. image  

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Tom - I will definitely be nervous when we play England but it's not this Sunday image You have Ruth's lot this week and we have the Italians. I will still be nervous though, perhaps even more so as we are expected to win! image

Well done on getting out in the bracing Scottish breeze!

Thanks for the reassurance on pace. Technically it's only week 3 for me and I'm on a bit of a steeper curve by skipping the even numbered weeks so probably more knackered than normal. I was close to a sub 39 10K last summer so if I can get back to where I was then I'll feel alot happier.

Tim - awesome to see you back up and running. Hope you all have a great time at training day 2!

• Thomas Rann wrote (see)

I did forgot how windy Scotland can be though and got a shock after 6.5 miles when I turned into a strong headwind which I hadn’t fully been appreciating with the wind behind! 

Welcome to my world, Tom.

• Thanks for the congrats on my HM PB Tom, it was a toughy!!! I really do mean it when I say "never again"... I'm sure there are other HMs out there I can tackle that have less chance for 'biblical' weather conditions!

Great track session on Tues too! It's fantastic that you can excel at a speed session so soon after a hard race; this all bodes very well for Paris I'm sure. Good midweek LSR too; I love exploring new routes and hoping I don't get too lost on the way!

Tons of thanks as well to Malcs for the kind words; it really was typical Blackpool weather! When I did the race last year we had 50mph gusts of wind but somehow it didn't feel as bad as this year, maybe because we ran in the opposite direction this year and so there really was no shelter in either direction, plus the horizontal rain made it hard to actually draw breath in places. Looking at my splits it's clear to see which miles were into the headwind as the rest were very even 8:00-8:09min/mile. I did lose about 3-4 mins with the weather but I still exceeded my expectations so I can at least feel pleased about it now! Great to see you back running well Malcs and good stuff with your 4x2K 'vom paced' repeats as Angela I calls them! I'm sure the speed and fitness needed for a sub3 marathon for you will come in time with the steady progress you're making; "slowly, slowly, catchy monkey" as they say!image

Have a great day at Training Day 2 on Saturday Tom, I look forward to reading all about it!