Brighton Marathon 2015

Comments

• That was my thought Phil.
  • 7.45 would be my maximum pace for a 3 hour marathon. 8.00 would be more likely.

• well the 20 miles never happened got 8.5 miles into it when Snowmaiden began to feel ill so we abandon it she be to the doctors had has been told she has a virus and told not to run until she's better so it looks like I'm out on my own tomorrow

• Thanks. 7:30 training may equate to 6:52 in a race but I'm yet to see it yet for anything above a half marathon distance. Certainly hoping to get as near to 1:30, ideally under, in this Sunday's half.

Toby 3, I hope Snowmaiden is feeling better soon.
  • Hope snowy feels better soon Toby!

Lombster !!! ? You should be nailing this sundays half at about 1:22-1:24 with  7:30 training on a 20 miler. I have been under 1:30 for the last 3 years for the half and never run a 20 mile training run at 7:30. I am pretty confident you will be much faster than 1:30.

Grinch is faster than me - what pace do you do 20 miles trining runs in Phil?

• Lombster that is a flying 20!! fair play, sure with that kind of strength you will be plenty under 1:30 on Sunday. Which half are you doing?

I could do 7:30 for a 20 miler in training but would have had to be pretty fresh and probably press a bit in last 5 to maintain speed and my PB for a half is 1:22. Lombaster sure you can get around that as you are in that kind of shape. Good luck

• And that has come straight from Sir Swizzle himself!

• J Swizzle - I'm doing Tunbridge Wells this weekend. I think everyone else has more confidence than me! My PB is still only 1:26 (Hastings, 2 years ago) and I was fitter then. My 3:06 marathon, also 2 years ago, ended being a sub-3 around 21 miles but I took comfort in the fact that I could come in under 3:10 and get GFA, until it was changed to 3:05 the week after Brighton!
  • SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Woooooh you guys are fast! I'm more of a steady eddy my LSR of 20m took 2H54m on Sunday. Gonna be a big push to get a PB this year. 

Toby3: best wishes to the other 0.5.

• did 10 yesterday got a little wet but have to say i did enjoy it I'm going through my usual down about the training phase at the moment i've gone through it about now every year will be ok in a couple of weeks

i have the Bath H/M coming up soon will go for a PB although I'd be pleased to get under the 2hr mark

• Yes hope Alison gets well soon.

• Toby the reward will be at the end of 26.2 keep at it.  After a week off with manflu I went for a stead 9 miles today felt heavy but its miles in the bank.  Another 16miles Fri and 10-12 miles Sunday planned before a sports massage Tuesday.  Hope the week off hasn't cost me too much but these things can't be helped. 

• Lombster that was such a rough way London marathon changed GFA times, hope they learn from that mistake and communicate any changes earlier in future. That must have been so demotivational. But the form/fitness is back now so sure you will smash Sunday to give you all the confidence you need for Brighton.

20miles banked for me today along the River near where I grew up while my mum watched my boys, excessive pancake eating didn't hamper me too much and running past the Olympic park on such a lovely day is always lovely for me.
  • I will have to have some pancakes tonight as I had a late one at work last night so missed out. Will make sure I get 5 miles in beforehand!
  • Did some quick 200m intervals with 100m jogs in between on Tuesday, about 4M including warm up and warm down.

8M in 70 minutes on the treadmill last night

9M in 68:49 on the seafront at lunch.  Which is as morale boosting a run as it is possible to get.  I have Eastbourne half on 1 March and sub 1:40 has to be a distinct possibility now.  

Rest tomorrow, park run on Saturday and hopefully a 20 miler on Sunday in 2:50ish.  Trouble is they've got Brighton HM on so mightn't be able to run up and down the seafront as usual.  image

• Just run through them Rob. Do your normal run. We won't mind. 

• Just looking, I will be coming from shoreham, the course turns round hove lagoon about the 10 mile mark.  Starts at 9am, should be really thinning out by 11am at the 10 mile mark.  How cheeky would it be to nick a lucozade off one of the stalls though aye.  

Anyone done brighton before know if they have pacemakers?  Well I know they do but haven't been told at what intervals.  3:30 and 4:00 are a given I suppose, but what about 3:45, or even better, 3:40?  ta in advance.

• They have 3.00, 3.15, 3.30, 3.45, 4.00 etc

You can meet them at the Expo

• Great thanks philomena, so do I give the 3:30 a whirl or just run my own race? see how the training goes.

• Unless you suck at pacing then I would give the pacers a miss as they get quite crowded especially the 3:30-4:00 ones. Personally I would run your own race.

I'm sure they wont mind you sneaking a spare bottle Rob - as payment for your inconvieience.

• Talking of pacers, it says on the Brighton Half site that they will give info on the pacers soon....they better hurry, it's 2 days away. Anyone know what pacers they will have? 1.30 natch but any others?

• Hi All

I've been 'lurking' since Christmas reading all your updates and progress with interest, it sounds like you're all doing some impressive training. I've registered in the hope of receiving some advice from the 'seasoned veterans'.

This will be my first marathon, I ran the Selsdon Half (quite hilly - 1hr 51 mins) a couple of years ago. I'm hoping to go sub 4hrs.

My typical week is Mon: Football 1 hour, Tue: 7 miles (treadmill) 8m30-45 pace, Wed: rest, Thur: LSR 9m30-45 pace, Fri: Bike (gym) 1 hour, Sat: rest, Sun 8-12 miles 8:45-9:15 pace.

My LSRs seem to be inconsistent and my body seems to struggle for the last 3-4 miles. My stamina seems fine I ran 18 miles last night and was hardly breathing heavily, but legs felt very weak. The week before my body almost shut down around the 15 mile mark (got tram home rest of way). My pace also drops during  these last few miles. So I'm not sure if this is to be expected with the increase of mileage each week, or am I not getting enough mileage into my legs the rest of the week (I'm considering getting 5 miles in before football each Monday).

The other thing I seem to be struggling on is pace, when training for the half marathon I seemed to be about 30secs a mile quicker on my shorter runs, but I'm putting this down to the extra mileage the rest of the week making me more tired and come race day I'll be feeling a lot fresher, however but it could be that I'm just getting old now image.

Apologies for rambling & the long 1st post all, but i really have no idea of how I'm doing at present.

Rob - With regards to the official pacing according to the essential guide sent out last week they have pacers for every half hour between 3hrs-5hrs, so it looks like they've dropped the :15 & :45 ones.

Cheers

Kel

• manatbar - your training sounds very similar to my first marathon training 3 years ago. (and i was not a runner then).

I especially struggled with pace at the end of my long runs almost slowing to walking pace. I found the reason was (apart from not being used to it) that I was running out of fuel and if i took a gel or 2 half way through my long run it helped.

Regards the pace, dont worry about that, its all about distance at the sub 4hr level. (you can already run fast enough, just not for long enough) 

Dont do 5 miles before football, thats a receipe for dissaster. you need rest, as that is when the body gets stronger. sounds like you are doing quite well to me. With 7 weeks left, you need 2-3 weeks taper which only leaves 4 weeks of long runs, so you are almost there and sub 4 looks a good target, providing you can get the long runs in.

It will all come together on race day.

• I agree with Wenterrapin, have just used my 1st gel on a training run managed 15 miles but took a gel on at 11.5 miles and did seem to give me the boost I needed.

15 miles at 8.27 pace felt good at the end, legs were tired but 5 more long runs planned before 2-3 week taper hoping to get upto the 20 mile mark at 8.30 miles.  Feeling positive about my pace at the moment fastest mile was 8.04 7th mile and slowest 8.54 11th mile.

Silverstone half or training run.  Have ran 4 marathons before so not a total race day novice, but not sure about transportation to the event yet, amd don't fancy travelling into london to get on a coach then to do the same on the return.  I think a 18-20 mile training run could be more beneficial any one got any thoughts......

• 12 miles and stopped.  Was supposed to do 20 in 3 hours but legs just felt like lead.  No idea why, somewhat depressing how every good run has to be followed by a rubbish one.  god help me if I feel like that on race day.  Eastbourne Half next Sunday.

• Ran first HM a. Hampton Court today. Despite chilly start and nerves clocked 2:05:54 which I am chuffed with as wanted sub 2:15- thanks to the 2:10 pacers who coached me round the first 10 miles!

Am tired now and need a snooze....
  • Rob. Maybe a hangover from running 20 miles to fast last week? Wenterrapin...you said "ask me again how you feel after 13 miles" when I passed you in the first mile. I got my 1.25. How did you do?

• Fantastic day for a half marathon in Brighton today and got a shiny new PB in 1:38:28 image

Great running Philomena, I really enjoyed the half today - after the 'long course' episode 3 years ago they've got a slick operation going on now. They even seemed to have enough toilets!

• Just thought i'd say hello, and introduce myself, this will be my first Brighton Marathon, but my 10th marathon in all.  You would think it would get easier but I've still to run a marathon that I'm completely happy with.  I just wanted to ask people that have ran the Marathon before, is the course similar to the half course, I ran that a couple of years ago and really liked the course..  ?

Good luck with the training everyone, I did 17 miles today at my race pace, which was great, now it gets serious!

• Ashley the half marathon course is all part of the marathon course.