Friday Session - 29 November

Short and sweet today.

What: Nothing. (Maybe a swim, but likely not)
Why: Last day of 3-day rest.

Last hard: Yesterday - upper body stuff.
Last rest: Today.

Comments

• what: Funky 5 Miler (or 8 if the flesh is willing)

why: James Brown - Gold collection and a pair of trainers - Papa's got a brand new bag

last hard: yesterday

last rest: wednesday

Psi you're going to end up all upper and no lower.
  • Yesterday was one of those will I won't I managed to get out as we had a long work day (nothing new there) followed by a three hour staff meeting so that everyone could air their grievances (we're being relocated) followed by drinks and nibbles. Anyway end result was arrival home at 8:30 pm - still squeezed out for a gentle 5 so feel very virtuous. Tried out my knee strap and can't say it made a difference but I guess if an injury takes months to develop it will take a few weeks to repair.

Today: Cross Train (bike and rower)
    Why: Reduced running schedule.
    Last hard day: Monday
    Last Rest: Wednesday.

Will try and make sure the bike is on the right setting tonight! Also met someone on Wednesday evening who did the l'etape du tour last year and has reignited my interest.
  • Morning all,

What : RW/Serpies 5k in Hyde Park
    Why : Seems like a good idea, and I'll treat it as speedwork.

Last Rest : Wednesday
    Last Hard : Last night club winter handicap 3.5 miles. Boy I was knackered after about 2mins.

Cross country at the weekend and then two days of rest I think. Have a good one all
  • Morning all. DArk here, oh, what a suprise.

The Runners World 10k programme is paying dividends. Training schedule said "45-50 minutes fartlek (posted the wrong session on yesterday's thread BTW) so I ran a route which usually takes me 45 minutes ... and was back home in 38 mins! So had to do 7 minutes of shuttle runs up and down my street (I live at the top of a 1:4 hill....).

I'm either getting faster or the roads are getting shorter ....

What: 10-12 miles easy
    Why: Friday is long run day

Good luck everyone racing this weekend, hope all the injurties and aches and pains reported this week go away. LizzyB
  • Morning - I thought I wa dreaming this morning - the sun was out and its not foggy.

What: Couple of miles @ lunch time on treadmill plus some speed work tonight
    Why: Usually do speed work on a Thursday but did a steady run last night coz the kids are racing on Saturday.

Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Wednesday
  • G'day

Yesterdays session was not delivered as required due to not being as fit as hoped.

Today:

what: rest
    why : contemplating X/C on sat (first since 1979)
    last hard day : yesterday
    last rest day : Tues.

WWill: such a brief post is concerning, hope things are going OK mate

LauraL: you can't get away with yesterdays posts about a PB with sharing your target here for your 10k - if you're really bashful about it then just share the improvement target - I'm sure it'll be measured in minutes not seconds given your recent routines (and I don't mean taking medecines to the O60's!)

good luck to all otehr racing this w/e
  • Morning all, Friday already and Parky's only got 3 races to do before Monday - or did I read that wrong??

Everyone's working so hard! Yesterday we had the Horvill fans trading masochistic sessions (it's looking bad guys, no cure in sight) on the track, sfh legs going into HR overdrive on the treadmill and Lizzy breaking PBs left, right and centre.

Good luck for everybody's racing this weekend - Hilly, sounds like you're really happy with your running at the moment, good luck with your 10K.

Sfh legs, y 10K target is to reduce my pb from 48.08 to sub 47, 46.59 will do. Thanks for your good wishes everyone, I'm secretly scared of the pain, must read that visualisation thread again.

What: 4-5 miles easy tonight.
    Why: need an easy day, going to rest tomorrow as well.

Have a good weekend everybody.
  • Hello me lovelies.

What: Get something nice to eat and park myself in front of the telly.
    Why: Cos I've been a bit excessive lately and my iffy knes need their quality time. Had a gym sesh last night where I couldn't stay off the treadmill. ITBs now great due to supports for my freaky feet, but at the expense of one or two other aches. Don't think I'm built to run!
    Hard: Nothing for a while.
    Rest: Tuesday.

Good vibes to all racers/ill/injured people out there. Oh, what the heck, same to everyone else too. :-)
  • Laura,

thats right but looking forward to rest on Sunday (and maybe Monday). Its really nice to read what everyone's upto - it really gives me new ideas to incorporate into my own training.

To paraphrase Alan Titchmarsh (sort of) Whatever the weather this weekend ...enjoy your running (for aficionados of Gardeners World)
  • What: nowt
    Why: yesterdays hard run (It really hurt)
    Last hard session: Yesterday

resting my poor legs before long run on saturday (after tonight on the town it should be interesting)
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Knock em out at the 10k Laura! I'm sure you're up for a good PB. Can't wait for your race report.

What: 45 minute turbo trainer
    Why: Easy day after 3 intense days in a row
    Last rest day: Monday
    Last hard day: yesterday's track session
  • Morning folks. Nice and sunny in Tunbridge Wells.

What: 7 miles at sort of marathon pace but too fast really, turned into more of a tempo thing
    Why: I've got a v.tough 10K on Sunday (Crowborough) and I need an excuse for a poor time. Knackering myself out on Friday should do the job:-)
    Last hard: 13 miles on Tuesday

Happy weekend people.
  • Laura - will it be any worse than Stockholm??
    You got through that - and this is much shorter.

what: oh sh*t - it's key session day again. Plan: go thru 8 miles in 52 as last week, but this time continue & try for 9 in 58:30....

why: that's a leading question

last hard day: Tue
    last rest day: Mon
    last long day: Sun
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Finally managed to get a run in last night, having wimped out on Wednesday night due to adverse weather conditions (I know, I know ...)

What: Haven't decided yet - probably my 3.6 mile route at tempo pace.
    Why: 'Cos I've been doing too many steady runs.
    Last hard: Last week!
    Last rest: Wednesday.

Ran a new 4.1 mile route last night which I hadn't run before, and which I discovered is almost all uphill (albeit gently in places). You never notice these things in a car! Managed 34:24 which is 8:23 pace - quite pleased with that as it felt very relaxed and easy at that speed and there are two killer hills in there too, one right at the end taking me to the front door!
  • PB - Bah - jealous. Just come back from 10 miler. Doesn't get light properly here so really spooky in the forest. All the birds have migrated so it was really quiet too. Saw a dead rabbit and a ptarmigan (alive, but is probably going to be someone's Christmas Dinner).

Had enough of forest so ran up into the foothills of the mountains and watched the fishing boats coming and going out to sea, and aeroplanes coming in to land. So although I was quite tired before my run, I feel good about life.

going Christmas shopping with Mr LizzyB this afternoon ... his students have to hand in their assessed work by 2 p.m. so at that time he's closing his door and leaving the university for the day ...
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Good luck Laura , with all the work and efforts you've been putting in,I think you'll surprise yourself (sub 45 ?).

Had a rest day yesterday and was going to do the same today (5.5m x-c tomorrow) but feel a bit fed up and an easy 3 mile jog will help.(Also its lovely and sunny out there...)
    Last Hard : Wednesday

• I see it's that time of year when runners pit themselves against assorted game birds - pheasants, ptarmigan, quail ... a bit like those events where men try to race trains, or horses, with the added advantage that if you run fast enough you've got dinner sorted.

What: 5 miles @ 6:58 pace
    Why: Frank's word is law

Last Hard Day: yesterday

good luck to everyone racing this weekend.
  • What: Rest/travelling

Why: Going for a walking weekend near Shrewsbury somewhere, might include a run as we are going with the exercise police.

Last Hard: yesterdays 8.7m club run, only two of us wanted to extened the run so ended up doing the last 4 miles or so with this lad who said we'll take it easy and is also one of the stronger runners in the club. I told him to look the word up in the dictionary!

Last rest: Sunday/Today

Also good luck to all those racing.
  • what: gym day, 4 mile run, 2.5k row, upper body weights
    why: because I want to

last hard: Sunday
    last rest: Wednesday
  • What: easy day today, going swimming later
    Why: I did do yesterdays hill session after all (although I only did 10 hills while all the speedy boys did 16) so my legs are quite tired today. Trying to improve my swimming technique - next year I will try a tri
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Mon
  • Hi pb - yes, I am the Icelandic forumite. Or at any rate, the forumite who lives in Iceland.
  • LizzyB

so you'll be the Icelandic forumite who writes so eloquently about the joys of running in Iceland in this week's RW letters column, and who comes on here every day and whinges about how miserable it is running in Iceland. ;-)
  • Don't winge! Merely point out that it's a bit dark at the moment! And there are too many dead rabbits, jellyfish and F15 fighter planes for my liking. Not to mention the dog poo.

Sulking now. Off to off licence. And as I pointed out on another thread, only wrote the letter to win trainers and that didn't work. So REALLY sulking. Big time. Bah!
  • Lizzy -

of course you don't whinge - honestly I love your reports from the frozen north.

although I suspect that your original letter was full of roadkill and fighter planes, but those shiny happy people at RW edited to make it all sound so much more fun.
  • Post-Thanksgiving Day Feast run, 6.5 miles. Think I ate too many desserts in one day -- pumpkin pie, chocolate cake, ice cream and 3 big cookies which resulted in another bit of struggling today. Still looking for the elusive easy run. The bad news is I'm going for another Thanksgiving dinner with in-laws tomorrow. Plus there are all these leftovers...