Broken Ankle

I broke my ankle between Christmas and New year. Slipped on some black ice. Hobbled home thinking it was a sprain but went to A&E next day and had fractured fibula in five pieces. Had heavy cast on for a week, then at follow up appointment had it taken off. Consultant said all I'd need was an airboot, so I'm wearing that when I leave the house but barefoot rest of time. Something about this doesn't feel right. I thought I'd be in a cast a bit longer - a lighter one. It still really hurts and I can't put any weight on it. Swelling still quite major and lot of blue bruising.

Searching online just brings confusion.

Anyone else had a broken ankle and experienced similar laid back treatment? And any general advice from a runners perspective on making a solid recovery - physically and mentally (I'm a bit blue about missing out on the marathon I'd planned and looking on jealously as everyone else is out running).

Comments

• JazzijJazzij ✭✭✭

Not a broken ankle but did break 5th metatarsal last September. I was in plaster from A&E , then a week later at the fracture clinic was hoping for an aircast but got a hard soled shoe, which for me was even better, and told no weight bearing for 2-3 weeks from initial injury then weight bear as pain allowed with crutches. I was told they don't like to immobilise the ankle as it causes loss of muscle and stiffness, although I assume this is different if its the ankle that broken.

My break was non displaced, so quite straight forward and once it starts to knit together, the stress of weight bearing helps to speed up the healing process. The hard soled shoe was worn all the time except in the shower and in bed so there was no movement to the broken bone.

• limperlimper ✭✭✭

I suspect you should be in your aircast boot for all weight bearing activity (ie: hobbling from the sofa to the loo). Best to check with your doctor before you do more damage.

• Hi Johnny, 

you will need to be on a progressive rehab plan, http://www.summitmedicalgroup.com/library/adult_health/aha-ankle_fracture_exercises/. A tailor made plan from a physio would be better.

it not too late for a spring marathon (if you had good fitness levels before your incident) as long as you lower your expectations and are prepared to run walk if needed.

• Thanks Jazzij and limper for your replies. 

Hi Scott1973

many thanks for that link. Will be useful in a few weeks. Still too painful at the moment.

My fitness levels were good leading up to my slip. i was taking a very long-term approach to marathon training and had already been building up over the previous few months. Was doing up to 10 miles at weekend and 4 x 3 or 4 miles in the week. Mainly at low intensity, couple of tempo sessions - but I was attempting to build a solid base.

I would still like to do the Brighton Mara and wouldn't be put off by run/walk. My biggest concern would be making the injury I have worse or seeing a recurrence. I'm aiming to make running a lifelong pursuit (I'm 50) and don't want to risk rushing back just to achieve a single objective.

Would really love to hear from people who had broken ankles and made successful returns.

• Hi Johnny,

I think the thing with broken ankles, and the danger of reading too much about it on the internet, is that "broken ankle" actually covers quite a range of different injuries, with very different recovery times. I suffered a broken ankle when I was hit by a car riding my bike a couple of years back. That was a single break (medial maleolus fracture - basically the knobbly bit on the inside) but I had to have an operation to have it pinned, was in a cast for two months, and off running for the best part of year. From there it's been a very gradual process to build the mileage up again, and it was a long time before I was running without any discomfort.

• Hi Kamoshika,

you're absolutely right. When I tell people I have a broken ankle and I don't have a cast they're surprised but I've subsequently discovered that for my kind of break -(fibula) - this is quite common depending on how bad things are. I'm reasonably optimistic of a reasonably fast recovery.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Really does depend on the break like has been said.  My broken fibula needed 2 plates, 11 screws and a cast!  

Good luck with your recovery image

• Thanks Cinders, how quickly did they decide you needed an op? How long before you ran again?

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Had the op the next day Johnny.  Think the total was about 4 months before proper running again.

• 4 months doesn't sound too bad Cinders what with an op. Were you running with discomfort or was it all OK?

Not even been a month yet for me. I know I'm also going to be scared of a relapse when I eventually do. Rehab exercises and strengthening is the key I guess.

Any good broken ankle recovery stories out there to keep me upbeat?

• 10 weeks since break, still feel a long, long way from being able to run. image