RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi AA, Hope the antibiotics kick in and let you get back on track.

Hi Pink, Probably a good decision to bin bath, hope the hamstring gets better and sorry to hear of the loss...

Hi o4s, Sounds as though you are glad to be home. Maybe go skiing next year it might be warmer!

Hi Chick, Glad to hear things are looking up. Weather just as bad here image

Hi Freemers, Glad to hear you are getting the miles back in, the pace will come back no doubt once you are back in the swing of things...

Hi Barry, yes hear what you are saying. The wind is a pest at the moment. Especiially on an interval day!

It was a busy week last week. Still managed to get all my sessions in and hit the appropriate paces. I have not been pushing the Monday and Wednesday sessions and running them in the middle of the easy to moderate pace. Easy to moderate run yesterday, 6 miles at 7;41mm average, and this morning it was snow so went off to the gym to use the treadmill for my interval session. Warm up and cool down and 12 x 400M @ 15.5kmh with 400M recoveries @ 11.5kmh. Then found out the showers had broke down! Luckily not far from home....

Running Alloa HM 15th March. It will no doubt be windy image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell- good to see all is going to plan. Unlike  Barry, I find hitting the target paces tough even without this wind . Yesterday running head on into a 20 mph wind reduced that particular mile from about 7.45 to 8.30 mm. Tough TM session there 

11 miles in the wind(21mph) and rain. 5 mile warm up including 2 at tempo pace followed by 6 long hill intervals. Strangely very enjoyable. Got almost as wet as last nights swim. 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Nell: Nice when you can manage all sessions image  do you have a goal in mind for the Alloa half?

2old: my run last night was just as vile as yours. I put on head-to-toe rain gear so basically only hands, feet and face got wet. I felt pretty hardcore out there though. No other runners about image. MLR for me today. At least it's dry.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-at least you got the run done.A MLR today,good to see you getting back upto form and yes its warmer and sunnier here too.

9 miles steady done today

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old, Yes with you on the wind, that is what made my easy run into a moderate one this morning I think! Miles coming in for you now, you feeling good now?

Hi Chick, I would like to beat last years 1:30:32, which was running in a near hurricane, alas I guess the wind will be up again this year too. I think they call that run you had the other day character building ;0)

Easy 6 miles this morning. Legs a bit aching after interval session yesterday and S&C Monday afternoon...squats and lunges come back to hurt don't they?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Freemers - cracking 20 from you a couple of weeks ago. All shaping up very nicely, apart from the bug.

AA - oh no! It's not like you to miss work so you must be bad. How are you feeling now?

pink - sorry you missed Bath but it sounds like the right decision.

Chick - hope those niggles wiggle their way put.

Nell - is Alloa quite a good course?

I had a house guest at the weekend. Brolish came and did the Endurance Life Northumberland Coastal Ultra - her first. She only went and finished 4 th lady. She was awesome and I ran the last 7 miles with her but struggled to keep up!

I was struck by the virus and left with an ear infection that has now perforated my eardrum. Very frustrating. Unable to do very much this week because I feel a bit lousy. Ho hum.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    TR - I don't know. He ran 3:14 or something at York so I'd imagine he's looking for something quicker than that.
  • old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Sorry for being AWOL - mad busy since we got back to our lovely new kitchen and redecorated house. Having a bit of a cut back week as i was tired after the holiday. Couple of tough spin sessions plus 2x6 mile tempo runs at PMP minus 30s. The rest has been 3/4 mile trots to keep the legs moving. 50 miles off-road planned for the weekend. 

Changed my accommodation for London marathon, decided to stay Sunday night as the trains are dreadful due to engineering work that weekend - so if anyone is around Sunday night let me know (drown sorrows / celebrate success?? image)

Minni: take care with the ear and AA, how are you feeling now?

Nell/ 2Old: you wouldn't have enjoyed the races in Lanzarote if you are finding the wind here bad (although it was at least a warmer wind over there)

Chick: glad to hear you are on the road back

Freemers: how are you feeling now?

• Morning all. This virus has been horrendous. Just starting to turn the corner now. Get this....not even had a drink for 12 days. Unheard of!! Anyway aiming to get out this morning and run for a few hours and see how I do. Calf a bit tweaky still so will see how the energy levels are and how I can manage. 

freemers good to see you recovered from it ok. 

Minni - not good that you have it. Hope Bro is well. 

O4S - that doesn't sound like you're taking it easy!

Reading half next up for me. March 22nd...

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi o4s, Love the way you slip in a 50 mile run after 3/4 mile trots! Yes, I think I have lost my humour with the wind now o4s! I am back on the 1730ish  flight to Edinburgh after London, decided to give the train a miss...

Hi Minni, You are not having much fun lately are you? Alloa is not a bad HM. There is a bit of a hill on mile 11 for 1/4 mile or so, but not as bad as everyone makes out. Problem is the wind coming off the Ochil Hills. If you don't get that you get a nice stretch to get some good pace going...

Hi AA, Hoping the run goes ok and you can get back into things for Reading.

Hi Carrot, I have started to keep my running socks on in the cold bath. Seems to feel better, but then I think it is because I can't see my toes turn blue! image

Well out for my Tempo/MP run this morning, and it was blowing a gale. I managed to run most of it at the intended pace but the wind kicked the hell out of me in a couple of places as can be seen on the splits: 6:45, 6:40, 6:47, 7:08, 6:41, 7:10, 6:41, 6:47. Cold bath when I got back in, legs were screaming at me, thankfully rest day tomorrow...

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Nell - well done for running in that wind!  I had a shocker yesterday in the wind - meant to do 12, only managed 10 and I hate to think how slow it was (I left the Garmin at home).  The wind was just sucking all the energy out of me!

AA - hope your run today goes OK.

Chick - hope the MLR went well.

Minni - nightmare with the ear infection!  You are having a run of bad luck.  Fab result from Brolish image

After yesterday's poor run I wasn't expecting great things from today's intervals - 4 x 0.5 miles and 2 x 1 mile, at increasing pace on the TM.  But it went pretty well in the end - paces for each rep were 6.39, 6.35, 6.31, 6.22, 6.18 and then 6.15 for the last mile. 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Nell/Freemers: Running against the wind counts double. So you have done a lot more than you think you did image

Freemers: those were fast reps.

Wow, well done Bro image

Minni
    : hope you are on the mend now. Perforated eardrum image. Does it heal on its own or do you need to do something about it?

AA: hope you managed a little run. A couple of hours sounds a bit tough for a first outing image

MLR went well yesterday - managed 12.5 miles pain-free. I wore the compression sleeve though. Better be safe then sorry. Will try to wean myself off it over the next week or else I end up with one really weak left hammie ...

I wanted to do a trendy 5 at lunchtime just to find out they are refurbishing the showers at work image. At least I checked BEFORE I ran image. Seems like a quiet day at work though, so I should be able to get home early enough to fit something in. I have this silly streak going on - I'm trying to have a no-rest-day March. Let's see how long I can keep this going image

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Freemers, Yes, I can fully understand pulling out of the run at 10 miles. Sometimes there is only so much you can take image Well done on the intervals and the mile ones faster still. That is pretty good going, must have been hard going on the TM?

Hi Chick, lol! I will take that double theory into a race and see what they say? imageGood news on the pain free 12.5 miles, and even better that you noticed the showers were out of order before you went out on the runimage

Well another very windy morning here, o4s would be right at home! 8 miles to be ran at easy to moderate pace and ran an average 7:25mm. Half the run ran at 7:15ish and the rest a bit up and down, at one point 7:45, uphill against the wind. Hard to keep a steady pace in this kind of weather... but it has been completed. Funny Saturday morning is usually a busy one for runners, think I only saw 3 or 4 today..

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

53 miles with 8,400 ft of ascent yesterday - route not for the faint hearted and required good navigation skills. My mate Jon (he of the sub 3hour marathon aged over 60) and I went round together and got lost 3 times - twice in the section after dark image

Good time had by all, BA wandered in some considerable time later, but in good shape so all round image here today. Not sure about another 47 though image

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi o4s, That is some running, and ascent?? image

Another windy day today, but at least slightly better than yesterday.14 miles from me this morning ran at moderate pace. Mainly 7:15-30mm but the last mile was uphill and was against the wind and rain (8:29mm!). Average overall 7:26mm. The difference in the plan this time around is that my long runs are mainly ran at moderate pace and if not the majority is to be ran at moderate pace. No easy Sunday LR's image 

• O4S - brilliant news. What date is the 100 this year?

nell - good fast runninG again image

freemers - amazing intervals. Glad you've recovered well. 

Chick - great that youre running pain free. 

I did my 20 on thursDay. First 15 was ok then kind of died on last 5. Ran on empty. 3 recovery Friday, failed threshold run yesterday (all felt hard) and 9 this morning making 47 for the week. I'm still not right at all. Chesty cough, no voice and no energy. I've managed 5 20 milers this year now. Reevaluating Reading half target though. Sick of feeling rough now image

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

AA: second May bank holiday weekend. The Marshals event is the week after London so I'm doing the main event this year - decided to make it my priority rather than VLM this year.

Had to do 5k today to keep up with my challenge. My legs are tired...........image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    old4speed wrote (see)

Had to do 5k today to keep up with my challenge. My legs are tired...........image

no wonder .... that was some crazy running!! Glad BA made it too and you didn't have to call in the search troups image

((AA)): sorry to hear you are still feeling rough. At least you've banked those 20 milers already. And you still have a few more weeks. Maybe take it easy for another week?

Managed 15 yesterday, followed by a 2 hr bike ride in brilliant sunshine. It was gorgeous out there image

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi AA, Lot of miles for feeling bad? Which I suppose running those miles and not feeling good is going to be tough. Fingers crossed you start to get your mojo back soon image

Hi o4s, I can get my inspiration from you for Edinburgh then, whilst I am running the marathon if I get any negative thoughts I will think of your 100 and think myself lucky! image

Hi Chick, Nice 15, followed by a 2hr bike ride. How are the legs today?

Easy to moderate 6 this morning 7:36mm average...

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Morning all-7 weeks to London which is 5 allowing for a 2 week taper-gulp! You all knew that though !

O4S-53 miles and most of it up or down?????Makes my week of effort look second rate. Cant say it sounds like fun to me. Good going anyway. Cant imagine driving a 100mimage after VLM let alone running it..

AA-well done getting all that done last week-this will be easier.Reading really doesnt matter, its the 2 big ones next month that do.You've done one more 20 than me and didnt I know that on Thursday when I did another.

Nell-just think how easy the marathons will be without the wind.Consistently fast going by you. How are your LRs going?

Chick- Im going to enjoy seeing you keep the silly month on track.You just have to accept that sometimes you wont be able to shower after a run.Who needs friends any way? Pleased to see you putting the injuries behind you

Free-excellent intervals-I have wimped out of mine-terrified of getting injured. I expect to pay for it in April

Minni-Thanks for updating Brols impressive progress-its always good to see how your apprenticesimage get on. Glad you're getting back into the swing of things too.When are you tri/bi-athlon type adventures starting?

Barry-how are you getting on?When is your pool tri?

Did a 60 mile week  including 21miler on Thursday-had a minor hitting the wall experience-and 10 mile -including 5k each of mp and hmp (overall av 7.18 mm )yesterday

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

2old - well done on getting the 21 miler in, and a good quick 10 miles as well.

O4S - madness as usual!

AA - really sorry you're still poorly.  Fingers crossed this week will be better.

Chick - sounds like a nice run/bike combo.

A nice 20 for me yesterday - although I was shocked by a sodding great hill in the middle of it which I wasn't expecting....new route but pretty much all my LSRs are flat - this was about a mile of steep incline which wasn't fun.  Anyway, average 8.20 pace to bang on what I need.

And (drum roll) - 62 miles for the week, first time ever over 60 image.  5 miles slow earlier, making it a 10 day streak....but tomorrow will be a rest day.

• Well done on the 53 miler O4S! And for managing 5K yesterday, that's dedication to the cause. Feel free to join the Northern Veggies on the Sunday night for a few drinks in London.

Pink hope you're OK, so sorry to hear of your bereavement.

Freemers well done on a great end to your training week, you'll enjoy the hard earned rest tomorrow. I'm in for Berlin this autumn or would have been tempted by Abingdon.

AA you've done well getting those runs done when you're feeling rough. Still plenty of time before Reading half for you to get better, hopefully it's on it's way out.

Minni how long does a perforated ear drum take to heal? That sounds painful, hope you're OK. Brolish did brilliant image

I like the sound of that 10M you did yesterday 2old. Great mileage this week, any niggles? Yes indeed, seven weeks to go!

Nell for the sort of times you're capable of there probably shouldn't be any 'easy' long runs, the faster you get the harder you need to work to improve! Are you having a mini taper this week in advance of your half marathon on Sunday?

That's a good run and bike session Chick! Is your hamstring still OK? Have they sorted the work showers out yet?

Another week ticked off for me too, the main sessions being 3 x 2M on Thursday and 20M with 10 at marathon pace yesterday. Planned the route so that the easy 10 were into the wind and those 10 marathon pace miles were with the wind at my back! No point making it harder than it needs to be. It wasn't strong wind but I wouldn't like to think I was running it in the other direction. Legs felt OK after a decent effort at parkrun on Saturday. 20 mile race this coming Sunday, but first is a 10K time trial to get smashed out tomorrow.
  • Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old, Nice running and a good 60 mile week with a 21 miler. I do hope it isn't windy marathon day!

Hi Freemers, Nice mileage for the week, I too introduced a new route last week and forgot about a hill. That hurt! image

Hi Carrot, Nice 20 with the MP 10, Good luck with the time trial. Yes easier week before the HM. I run intervals tomorrow morning and then no MP run Thursday just 10 miles easy to moderate. Yes, I hear what you are saying and this plan has felt the hardest so far...what pace do you run your 3 x 2M?

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Some pretty impressive training going on looking at these posts - yet again I have failed to follow a schedule and by concentrating on the 100 mile event have watched what little speed I had ebbing away image

Carrot:  good plan on the 20 - if only London could have a gale force wind at the back all the way round.  May take you up on the offer for Sunday night, Parsnip should be safe enough given the state I will be in.

AA: how are you feeling now?  A bit of R&R sounds like a good idea - take it easy whatever you do.

Nell: hope the weather is kind for the HM, but in any event your training seems to be going well

Freemers: just think how efficient it would be to do all of those miles in one go - then you could rest for the rest of the week image [or not if you had signed up to this 5k challenge]

Chick: glad things seem to be back on track, it's really nice to get back out on the bike at this time of year without having to wear endless layers of waterproof gear

2Old: my two week taper for London starts with 26 miles on the Saturday followed by 35 miles on the Sunday [both off-road] image  If we do eventually manage to meet at the green start you will find I am several inches shorter than you might have expected..................Good mileage, just be careful not to get injured in the last few weeks

Hill intervals in the spin class today and my quads were not happy at all.  Planned to go to running club tonight but I think I need a day off running and have already done a tough session [plus it is pissing down with rain.....]

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Monster mileage, 2old and Freemers image

Carrot
    : good to see you. Hope the time trial goes well.

I did a medium long run today - 12.5 miles. It was raining, but no wind and quite mild. Now it's sunny and windy image

The work showers are back to full functionality btw. image

• Some mega mileage going on now! 

and some real quality runs too!

chick - are you running double figures every day?!

O4S - 54 miles in one day then your 5k challenge is nuts!

managed 7x1200s this morning on the tready. was really horrible And hard. but done. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Free-congrats for breaking the 60 in a week and for getting that rest day.Did you do any doubles?

Carrot-you are doing some very focused training which should be well rewarded. My 5k mp, 5k hmp was a variation of a Minni session I think. Hope the 10k trial went well

AA-that sounded a very nasty interval session ,good going.Are you doing lots of down hill running ready for Boston?

Chick-pleased your showers are working so you can continue your silly month.Nice mlr too.

Nell -I should have done  3x2 last night but couldnt face it so did a longer run instead.How did yours go?

O4S-not getting injured is constantly at the back of my mind thanks...maybe it should be at the front? Im determined to get to Green start to meet a few more of the team from here. I will remember to lower my eyes for you thoughimage Looks like you're planning a perfect taper. Hope the quads are ok now.

12m mlr Monday, 2k swim and 14m at 7.12mm av yesterday

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

2old - doubles? You have to be joking! No - just got a full 7 days in last week, including a MLR, so it just all added up. 

AA - well done on the intervals. As you say, they are done!

Tempo this morning - 5 miles @ 7.10 pace. Might get another MLR in tomorrow, and intervals on Friday. Sunday will be my "time on feet" run, so looking for a full 3.15 run time, probably 22-23 miles.

• Hi all,

Good to see everyone running well and long, and the lurgified are better.  Managed to get some training in last week and this week is going well, working nights is quite good for doing doubles:

Mon -  Hour swim am, hour easy bike PM
    Tues - 15 mile run at 7:27 am(happy with that), hour swim PM.
    Today -   Hour swim am, hour easy bike PM.

2old - Tri is 3 weeks friday, and currently trying to do some "wrong way"(clockwise for me) swimming so it does n't go badly wrong come race day.

VLM is 6 weeks Sunday so getting to my normal "injury time".  Fingers crossed we all get to the start line fully fit.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-impressive work these last few days. Not long to the TRI ...you'll really enjoy it. I am tempted by one on the 6th but the cautious fairy on my shoulder is saying no. I know all about injury time though mine tends to arrive in about 3 weeks .