Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Happy birthday Abbers! Have fun!!image

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    KR - I didnt realise I was turned off, I'll turn it on.

Abbers - happy birthday enjoy the beer. What division are you in this summer? I was initially miffed with sunday as I thought I should have been a minute quicker, but I turned up tired as usual so probably got the result my preparation deserved.
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GM/TR - cheers! We're in County 4 North, as per last year, having saved our spot with the last game of the season when we went from 15th to 12th to achieve mid-table obscurity. I'm guessing your eldest is still a division up from us? I saw your time wasn't as quick as Lordshill, but then in the middle of mara training and given the volume of tri stuff you do, it must be hard to prepare for non-A races. Still flippin' quick from where I'm looking! Birthday presents included an entry level road bike and turbo trainer, so looks like I'll be joining the multi-sports training fun image 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Abbers - welcome to some turbo pain. A mix of turbo and running serves me well up to 1/2 mara. Eldest is county 3 south, youngest might be county 4 south but hes not 14 until april, so he might stay 3rd team for another summer yet although he is starting to make it onto a few radars now.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

TR - I blend in with the crown now... changed clubs to Winchester so not in the Tescos Andover stripes anymore... still wear the bandana though...

Happy Birthday Abbers

Day at home today as car in for MOT etc... so meant I could run down to the track after dropping off.... did a comparison test of a session from a few weeks ago.... 4 x 800m / 4 x 400m / 4 x 200m / 1 mile at MP off 200m rec (the only thing different was I added the extra 1 mile in at MP as felt good and had quite a way to run home, was quicker all round esp the 800s last time out my fastest was 3:14... my slowest today was 3:13.... fastest 3:07 400s weer all between 1:33 and 1:31 and the 200s all 43 secs image followed that up with a recovery run later on so 13.8m for the day

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Abbers

That sounds a tough working schedule Leslie - that make your weekly mileage even more impressive.  Take care though

Ironically the top first world athletes are worried about how much sleep they are getting and the quality of their nutrition.  The top African athletes are worried about having somewhere to sleep and getting anything to eat.

I went to watch the local athletics tonight (That's Entertainment).  The 3000m was won at 4:40 minutes per mile / 2:54 per km, which I think is pretty good for a local Tuesday night race.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Abbers- all the best thread wishes....

I'n running hard early doors this week, to give myself a couple of days rest before my 20 mile race this weekend. Junior also has the National schools XC, so a big running w/end chez OO.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the well wishes.

Abbers-Happy birthday!

I picked up a niggle at the top of my left leg. Google has diagnosed it as my hip flexor. Every time I try to run I have a sharp pain at this point which then seems to travel down my leg.

I've given it a fair amount of rest, plus stretching, roller etc but it doesn't seem to ease off. So it's about time I called a phyisio so they can have a guess at the problem.

I have put in quite a few miles (for me) on the bike during Feb, about 500, as this causes me no trouble whatsoever. Hopefully this is keeping my endurance ticking over but with no cycling races planned it all feels a bit aimless.

Although I did have a go at a 10 mile time trial with the local road club a couple of weeks ago, jeeez that was tough!

Unfortunately most of the meets clash with my son's footy.

KR no plans yet for an Autumn marathon but I'm thinking about giving a triathlon a go, as I would hope the multi sport training would lessen my ever increasing injury count. But I always say this when on the bench.

Christ, I sound a miserable fecker! It's only running.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Moof - we all know it is more than running so don't worry about sounding down. You have every right to be.  Hope it gets sorted. It does sound like a trip to the physio would be beneficial.  The hip flexor may well be the symptom but the cause will be identified by them and you can then do something about it.  Happy healing vibes coming your way *whoosh*.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    I feel better already.image
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

RFJ - excellent progress.
    OO - all the best to you and OO jnr this weekend.
    Moof - sorry to hear your injury woes - hope a visit to the fizz can get you on the road to recovery.
    3 mile recovery run d&d. Carb-loading starts later image

• Don't want to create undue pressure, but at the moment we're the top scoring medium sized team and in 5th place overall!!! image

Belated happy birthday to Abbers.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Moof - cheer up!!

Enjoy the carbs Gul.

Rest day yesterday as I was up at a godforsaken hour to head up to York and back in the day - 6 x 3min reps this morning. Reasonably pleased with how they went.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

My new Garmin 310XT GPS just arrived. The old one packed in and this looked the simplest for a Luddite to operate. I also had to buy Mrs OO a kindle to even the scales image

I doin't know how you can run fast early in the morning Lorenzo...

• I know there are quite a fewthat benefit from Triathlon training Moof - so all good from that. Although I'm not sure how I would fit it in?

Have you got a meal planner planned Gul?

Ditto Lorenzo, I don't function that well first thing, I'm more of a (k)night man

TR - I think I"ve sent you a message?

• Day off yesterday as my plan this week is for 3 runs before the marathon so Mon, Wed and Thu. Got a haircut (saves a few grammes and lowers the drag) but ate a massive bag of veggie crisps and two custard tarts so probably neutral.

I note that my Jantastic target is for 26 miles on Saturday but poor Gul has 26.2 as his.

Don't actually feel too bad at the moment. The taper is not a big one, so February was averaging 54 miles and the last two weeks were 45 miles, 40 miles and this week will be 17 + 26. I had a few niggles but it seems running Saturday am and then just one run since has given them enough rest to go away.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - well done on the early morning reps - I'm with you on that one.
    OO - enjoy the new Garmin.
    KR - I have a rough plan for breakfast, snacks, lunch and supper, but most of the dinners are out of my hands.
    PMJ - I checked with the organisers and there are no changing (or shower) facilities at Raceways, just toilets. How did you find other people's targets on the Jantastic website? My hamstrings felt really heavy the other day, but seem back to normal now, thankfully. That's enough taper madness! Going to be an early start on Saturday. Not sure whether to go via Corby or risk the A14/M6 junction roadworks - hopefully won't be too bad at 7:30am on a Saturday?

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Ooooh carb loading time! Keep us posted with your food consumption don't you, Gul and PMJ?

10@7:50 along the River Wey (hey hey!) Too beautiful for words and no longer claggy with thick mud. Practised my "new running"'!
  • Yes, I'd be interested in what a typical day looks like too MsE.

Good morning run MsE

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

PMJ - "massive bag of veggie crisps and two custard tarts " image excellent snacking !  (although most would indulge after long run rather than haircut) image

Gul - yes, keep us posted with carb-loading details - I always pay attention to this for the marathon. I do turn into Victor Meldrew, though, when I see sport-drink toting parkrunners, for example ! (Here's a footnote from the Retford report I sent to my saturday morning group ) -

"breakfast was mug of tea, and a few RiceKrispies - no nutrition or even water en-route - should have mentioned I had to make sure I passed and beat some bloke who had gels dangling from his waistband!! - in a half mara, ffs !! 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - ah, of course you can see the distance target. I meant the time challenge target. A bit disappointed you can't see them except for the outcomes.
    MsE - nicely paced riverside run.
    Birch - I really ought to practice running on a fuelled stomach - races are the only occasions where I don't run on empty! 
    Just the usual breakfast today:-
    3.5oz of porridge oats with about 1 pint of semi-skimmed milk, a large dessert spoon of honey and several handfuls of raisins/sultanas.
    2 thick slices of home-made bread - 1 with marmalade and 1 peanut butter.
    Large glass of water.
    Another litre of water so far this morning (still no coffee since Sunday).
    Just about to tuck into sandwiches (thick slices/home-made bread again) with mayonnaise, ham, cheddar, mango chutney.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lunch - 1 large jacket potato with 250g coronation rice. 2 thick slices of malt loaf.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Moof - get to that physio and see what they say,only running eh it way more important than that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!image 

Gul-it's only taper madness .

MSE-nice new running 10 image

BIKE IT-different planet over there for sure !

0052-shiny new watch mush be worth 10 secs/mile easy !

Got a good kip last night to charge the batteries up then out for 18.7 miles ...

9 easy into  monsoon conditions with strong winds and driving rain (was like a summers  yesterday tooimage)   then into the sheltered forest lined bit where I got the hammer down and whatever came out of my legs image 7:40, 7:34, 7:18, 7:16, 7:04, 7:13, 7:08, 7:18, then 1/2 mile flat out to see whats left ( 6:29 ) then 1 easy to finish  ,well pleased with that image average run pace 7:49 m/mile .

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - you are rightly pleased with that one! Excellent sustained pace after 9 easy. Bit of sleep worked wonders!
    Snack - 2 bananas with 250g natural yoghurt.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Jkt spud and rice - nice work, Gul  . . . . .

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Crikey, I picked the wrong few days to be absent from the thread!

MsE, great time at Surrey (83%!!!!) and congrats on the wedge of used, non sequential notes. Lovely. A caffeine dosing lasts for about 5 hrs so I'd typically start as soon as I get up with tea / coffee and then take some pro-plus tabs an hour and a half or so before he race and some more on the start line just for fun. Best to practice a couple of weeks before the race if you are going to seriously dose up though to see where your jitters / GI distress thresholds are. What a fun sport!

RFJ - nailed it! image

Well done Birch on your resurgence

Abbers, happy birthday! Great PB, a contract and a new bike. Doesn't get much better.....

Fantastic sub 90 GD - really pleased for you

JF2, get on Birch's diet - you'll be flying. It probably doesn't consist of crisps and custard tarts unfortunately.

That's not too shabby KR but it is below your capability. I think TR has made you an offer you can't refuse.

Sorry to hear about the injury woes for speedy, Moof and ssc. Hope you recover well and that BI and VTr have trouble free comebacks. (Sorry if I've missed any other benchees)

Still cracking on here. Going well image
  • Diet OK today but 2xpackets McCoys crisps (Tesco had special end of line offer of 18 packets for about £1.50).

SSM is 1.5 hours drive from home so will leave at about 7:30 to arrive 9:00 for 10:00 start. Will miss Wales vs Ireland but be back in time for England vs Scotland.

Just under 6 easy today (actually just over 9km) and a km at MP popped in unnoticed so all looks good.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Jacket potato with rice is pure genius.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    KR - I have recieved your message but it wont let me reply. Message me again with an email address and we can arrange where I need to send the epo to.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - weather forecast for SSM is slowly deteriorating. The wind speed is picking up and the afternoon rain is getting very close to being morning rain now. At least for the moment there is no chance of it being hot.
    Pizza and chips for tea last night image Then yoghurt, ginger cake, cereals and brandy snaps with double cream image Weighed myself at bedtime and I had gained 4lbs. Last run this morning before Saturday - just 2 slow miles. Legs feel rubbish, but not I'm not concerned.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Enjoy that new watch OO.  I think I've had mine for three years now and it has steadfastly served me.  Battery life is good (unless you leave it on when not in use and then it is pretty poor) and everything else works.

12 mile yesterday and I blew up in the heat and had to lie under a tree at 10 miles before struggling the last 2 miles home.  Then I bought Addidas Boost Response in the afternoon.  I've always found Addidas a bit tight when I've tried them on before, and these are no exception, but the cushioning is very high.  Also I don't really want to feel that I am a mug for smart marketing.  8 miles in them this morning and they are feeling good so far.  Right leg still a bit sore but progressively getting better.