Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

good luck Gul, PMJ - may you both achieve your aim . . .

• MsE - 12 miles at your MP (6:5x?) in the middle of a 25 miler? I think I might have to pass on that one. image

G-Dawg - was sorely tempted to take you up on the offer of joining you on a meander along the Thames especially as a mate has a place that he's not going to be able to use, but Mrs L is at a choir concert in Cambridge so I won't be able to. Hope it goes well - just make sure you take it as easy as you promised.

All the very best to Gul and PMJ for tomorrow. May the force of the thread be with you.

Looking good for TCCSTF team at the mo - 2nd placed team overall. Pleased to see that I'm in no.2 position locally behind, er, Mrs L! 

6.5 miles across various chunks of the commute today, followed by going to see Milton Jones live this evening. image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Good luck PMJ & Gul!!!!! And to all the other threadsters racing this w/end!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Minni - sorry to hear about the ear drum. Enjoy the duathlon on Sunday!
    SJ - Kirkstone Pass? There's a lot to be said for airfields, you knowimage
    Lorenzo - tempted by your advice to ditch the watch, but I daren't risk setting off too fast and not evern realising till I blow up at 10k! I promise to try and not look at it too often once I've settled into a sensible rhythm.
    Enjoy your long runs and races this weekend, guys.
    Now eating my final bowl of porridge and drinking first load of caffeine since Sunday. (Lots of bananas yesterday afternoon and salmon, brocolli and pasta in pesto sauce for dinner). Going to set off at 5:45 for Warwickshire, should be there around 8:30 in plenty of time. Thanks to all for your best wishes.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Smash it Gul! (in a controlled way)

Have a great day the pair of you.
  • Up early with race nerves but I see Gul has left the building.

Odd silly thought for next year. As VLM 2016 will be 24th April 2016 and I assume the Thames Meander will again be mid March, there could be a thread get together for a long run maybe?

• Good luck today PMJ! You'll do fine. Just stick to the planimage

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Gul left early, no surprise there then!

Sorry to hear your swimming woes Minni- will miss you at Locke Park tomorrow!

Steady parkrun this morning, 18:45 and 3rd. Hopefully saved enough for the 20 miler tomorrow.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Minni- swimming is bad for us too then image Get well soon .

Gul-goodluck.

PMJ-stick to your plan image

Slokey- goodluck with the jobs.

MSE-18m with 12 sub 7, nasty but no bother to you now image

0052-good parkrun the day before a 20 miler race image but smash it anyway.

6x400m+3x800m @ 6:10m/mile in an 8 miler before breakfast ,0c and frosty this morn so hard to get going.

• sscssc ✭✭✭

Good luck to those running long and racing this weekend.  Slowly coming back - have completed runs set by the fizz, one 30 min run, run 5 mile run and have one hour run planned for tomorrow.  If all ok that will leave five weeks till Manchester so am planning four weeks of hi mileage as no need for a real taper.  image

• Sending good luck vibes up the M40 to Gul and PMJ - just need to sit tight and wait for the reports to flood in.

PMJ - Thames Meander get-together next year sounds a good idea. Does this mean you've got VLM16 very firmly in your sights?

Also hoping that G-Dawg is going well and hasn't been hit on the head by any of the boats being hauled out of the river. Trust me - it can happen!!

Nice loosener of a parkrun there OO - is it a 20 mile race or just a training run you've got tomorrow?

Went a bit mad this morning and ended up running just short of 31 miles. Found it tough going towards the end but good to get that length of run under my belt.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Lorenzo that is mad, I could not run that far....

Tomorrow is a race proper 20*1 mile laps of Locke park Redcar image  - target is sub 2:20 but it's really to get my pacing right.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    31..... ooff

Thanks Leslie, 2 really good meetings yesterday - couldn't have gone any better really.

Kirkstone. The Struggle. Tick and tick.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Lorenzo-31 miles, that's a proper run !

0052-20 laps.. Id lose count or the will to live I think image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I think I'd like a lap race. Smaller laps are even better. Hypnotic....
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Thames Meander marathon completed without incident! imageimage

Ran a disciplined run (won't say race as I didn't race it) and came home in a comfy 3.32.(8.06 pace)

A bit quicker than I'd planned but I did my best to slow down, including stopping at a few feed stations to enjoy home made flap jacks, crisps and jelly babies!

Splits were very consistent and I resisted the temptation to push on in the final 10k. Legs a bit sore but then it is a marathon but not the usual post marathon feeling, just regular LSR stuff.
    All bodes well for Brighton as long as I recover well from this distance in the next couple of days.

Absolute chaos for us runners when we got to the turning point in Putney and the boat crews were packing up after the head of the river event. Rowers, spectators, cars, trailers, dogs on long leads, loose dogs...utter mayhem! Good fun though but not so good for those actually racing as it slowed runners down to a standstill at some points. After running through it, we turned and had to run back through it again! image

Overall, pretty pleased as I'd never dreamed I'd be able to be this casual about a marathon and knock out a time like that as a training run.

Hope all your weekend runs go well (time to read back now...)

GD

• So Shakespeare Spring marathon done. Trace is on Garmin https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/719211584 and Strava https://www.strava.com/activities/267928919 and I am fairly sure they are all public. Scores on the doors are 3:07:53 so I'm saying 3:07 which is comfortably inside the 3:10 target and so I am GFA for VLM 2016.

Full report tomorrow but the synopsis is fast start (that was unexpected!) so halfway in about 1:32 and 20 in 2:19:10 so inside 7 minute pace. Got tough over the last few laps so some of that is down to the start but also the wind got stronger and stronger and the field got thinner and thinner.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Excellent marathon, PMJ! And congratulations on achieving your objective of a GFA for VLM 2016.  image

GDawg - top job.  What did I say about those dogs and boats?! 

• Well done PMJ, a very respectable time.
  • Great stuff PMJ - any thoughts on an autumn marathon?

Equally impressive from you G-Dawg. Don't say you hadn't been warned about the boats!

Now, what's happened to Gul?

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Nicely done PMJ

GD, nice and easy now for the next 10days - no heroics, plenty of focus on recovery.

C'mon Gul, the thread is on tenterhooks....
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - Never a doubt! Great time! Nice bottle of red tonight? image

Where's Gul? I can't bear this waiting to hear..........!

Nutter of the month award goes to Lorenzo!image - Holy cr*p man, 31 miles!!!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

PMJ - nicely achieved - good work . . . . .
    G-Dawg - racing or not, the "mayhem" would have had me raging - but nicely run . .
    Lorenzo - I can't improve on or add to Gerard's comment  . . . .
    now - Gul ?  

22 here this morn - legs bit tired first hour or so (prob leftovers from last weekend's half mara), but pretty strong all the way . . .      

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Sorry to keep you all in suspense and apologies for not reading back but I need to get back to the lounge with Mrs GD after a long day out! Unfortunately, it's not even good news I've kept you waiting for. Must say though what an excellent run by PMJ - job done in style.
    Set off and for the first time ever was almost spot on my target pace at the first split! Felt comfortable and just nudged under target pace to get to halfway in 1:40. Shortly afterwards the wheels fell off again image As PMJ said the wind got steadily worse and the wind chill factor meant it felt like sub-zero. Finished with a positive 20 min split in 3:40, so 10 minutes worse than Mablethorpe and no PB. On the positive side, I didn't walk/run! It was a really good day out and a mate came along for the ride - don't often get to chat with him so good to catch up on the way there and home.
    Here are the gory details: (each lap was 5km and my target was 24:00 per lap):-
    Lap 1 23:36 (4:49, 4:34, 4:42, 4:51, 4:37)
    Lap 2 23:40 (4:48, 4:37, 4:44, 4:51, 4:37)
    Lap 3 23:17 (4:43, 4:35, 4:39, 9:17 missed 4km split!)
    Lap 4 23:28 (4:44, 4:37, 4:42, 9:23 and again!)
    Lap 5 24:00 (4:47, 4:43, 4:48, 9:40 and yet again!)
    Lap 6 25:25 (4:58, 4:48, 5:01, 5:18, 5:18)
    Lap 7 31:55 (7:25, 5:44, 6:07, 6:30, 6:07 spot the 2 min loo stop!)
    Lap 8 32:03 (6:17, 6:11, 6:24, 6:49, 6:20)
    Last 2.195km in 13:01
    Well not sure what that tells me. Do I blame compromised training again, bad training plan or am I just not cut out for marathons? Time to think it over.  

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Excellent Racing PMJ, you must be pleased

GUL sorry to hear it was not your day, but you have missed a fair few weeks over the training period, so dont beat your self up, pick another in 6 weeks or so and sure you will reap the rewards.

G-Dawg - nicely paced effort

What a race that was today, Ashridge Boundry run (not far from where I was dragged up) set in the grounds / boundry of Ashridge estate, with plenty of hills and a few road crossings, lots of wildlife including a lot of deer (a herd / pack) of about 8-9 ran right in front of me at one point, quite amazing. Also amzing were the marshalls and the organisation, it was better than clockwork. I had a good steady run and didnt even fall (though did have one moment over about 4-5 paces that I thought I would go but was actially able to hold my balance) a nice steady start and kept it that way passing quite a few as I went. The views at the top of Ivinghoe Beacon were worth the climb....... as a certain film star says "I'll be back" 16.5m 2:21:40....

Kingston breakfast run in the morning for another 16m race..... (well paced effort) image

Take care

• Gul - sounds like it was tough out there today. Clearly everything was on track up until halfway and I just wonder whether your mind starting telling you things when the first couple of splits fell outside the target on lap 6. Have you read The Chimp Paradox (http://chimpmanagement.com) by Prof Steve Peters? 

It may well also have been down to the interruptions in training - perhaps you need a shorter training plan for the next one. Just don't give up on marathons - I'd still maintain you've got a sub 3:15 in you. 

Best thing for now is a glass of wine and take it easy for a few days / weeks and then you'll be in good shape to make plans for the autumn.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

I can't sleep (bit of a temperature and thinking things over too hard!)
    OO - nice podium finish at parkrun. Hope the 20 miler goes well today.
    Leslie - well done on the interval session - at least we didn't have frost yesterday!
    ssc - good luck with the recovery.
    Lorenzo - wow! Now that's some run.
    SJ - nice one.
    GD - cracking run - on course for a good race as Brighton, I think.
    Birch - steadily plugging away. Really hope you have a cracking race in London.
    RFJ - One down, one to go. Going great guns.
    Lorenzo - thanks for the advice. I'd kind of already decided that after 18 months of marathon training (apart from a few spells on the bench) it's time to give it a bit of a rest. So the plan is to cut back on the mileage and target some shorter distances for the rest of the year. Then get back on the marathon roundabout in 2016. Who knows, I might even get a ballot place for London. On the plus side, I'll be 50 in 2016, so will only need sub 3:20!

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Morning All,

Gul - take care.  3:40 is still a marathon many would be envious of, but probably you are dissatisfied given your capability for faster running and the work you have put in over the year.  You are a good runner and have the intrinsic capability to run sub3:15.  Finding the way to achieve it is often trial and error and to discover how to do it, you need to discover how not to do it.

Nice training races from GD and RFJ - that race does sound a great pleasure RFJ.

Good to see PMJ delivering as planned.

31 miles is a good preparation run Lozenro. It is good for both body and mind to prepare for distances above marathon. If I recall right you have run around 24 miles last weekend and the weekend before you also did 20+ miles.   I'm getting worried that you would arrive at the Comrades start line too fatigued if you keep up running 20+miles per LSR. Time for a cutback week?

8 fast miles in the mid-day heat yesterday and 13 slow miles this morning to take me to around 50 miles for the week, which I have not done since January.  Leg still setting down and causing some pain and slowness, but generally manageable and improving.

Next week is a mini-taper prior to Om-die-Dam 50km race on Saturday, which as it says we run 50km around the Hartbeesport dam west of Johannesburg.  Given my current condition, I'll be satisfied to complete it as a training run and have reasonable training the following week. 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Gul - tough one, but don't be too hard on yourself - imo definitely the interrupted training - you did miss a few solid weeks  . . . . .

RFJ - good work - good luck for part 2 !