Strengh Training

Hi Yesterday I ran half marathon in preparation for VLM and at mile 10 was in great deal of pain in groin area , and pelvis , it is not to bad today but as you can imagiane not very happy with my time as had to walk for 2 miles due to pain, I am assuming that maybe my upper legs are not as strong as the lower part (no trouble there) I had a bone graft 18months ago which was taken from my hip so could not do anything for 5 months  so could anyone give some advice on how to strengthen my hips etc . I am sure by the way it feels today that it is just lack of strengh rather than a torn muscle etc. 

Comments

• Have you felt that pain on your long runs before ?

Was it just the pace that brought on the pain ?

Was the half pace faster than you're planning for the marathon ?
  • Hi  no not had this pain before , not sure the pace was the problem , I started hoping to do 6 miles in hour , but slowed to a bit longer was hoping to do half in about 1.20 .the legs was badly swollen last night (Monday) so iced them and used foam roller again , have gone down.

at the moment I would like to do the Marathon in about 5-5.15 , I ran the brighton in 5.35 so was hoping to do VLM just a tad quicker

• 6 mph is a bit faster for a half than even a sub 5?

How many long runs have you done so far?

How are the legs today?
  • Done 3 longer runs not been to bad, but this morning I looked on this site again about my pacing and realised that I was going a bit to fast , so will be adjusting my pace. Legs are not to bad today , I have a desk cycle so doing a bit on that and will try nice gentle run tomorrow morning  as long as I can do a longer run Saturday or Sunday round Bushey or Richmond park I will be happy

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Sounds like it was just a bad day in the office, maybe combined with a very slight tweak of a muscle.

Generally doing some work on your core strength will only do you good with your running as long as you don't overdo it. So no harm in considering doing some core work, but realistically you probably need to do it for a few weeks to start to really notice any effect.

I've done some light work with kettlebells, a 2kg weight in each hand and just do lots of repeats.  I did some last year and really felt the benefit.  (but got lazy in december and stopped). I'm trying to get into the habit again now.  Just doing 120 - 200 reps a day when i have a few spare minutes.  Not sure how much it's having a real effect and how much it's a placebo, but even if it's just in your mind anything that helps you stay strong (even if it's just in the head) in the last few miles of a race cannot be sniffed at. I've been doing it daily for 3 weeks now.

Last year I was doing 30-40 minutes twice a week, but you always find excuses when you don't have the time, so even though i'm not sure how effective it is my 120-200 reps only take at most 10 minutes, so frankly there is no excuse to not find that short amount of time somewhere in the day to squeeze them in.

• HI Booktrunk

Thanks yes I think your right , yes I have some kettlebells used as door stops at moment , but your right must start using them properly , I dont think it helps that I sit in front of PC all day , so today my little underdesk cycle is being used , and so far no pain (good) , I also think I made an error on sunday , I was doing stretches before the race and it was freezing cold , and reading the advice on this site I should not do stretches when cold .