80/20 Running by Matt Fitzgerald

Any good, or does the title say it all?

pick any plan and do it 80% easy n 20% hard? 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/80-20-Running-Stronger-Training/dp/0451470885/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I haven't read it but the theory sounds sensible.

I think he has been interviewed about it on the Endurance Planet and Runner Academy podcasts so may be worth listening to them first.
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Thanks Millsy.

Will try to dig them out, not really a podcast listener, enjoy reading more, but will maybe try to give them a go. 

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I heard it on Runner Academy. There is an old article here in runnersworld that lead me to the podcast. Basically run 80 of your time/miles a easy- at or less than 77% of max heart rate and then beast yourself for the other 20% by doing hard intervals and reps well above 88% while avoiding anything in the middle.

It all works in theory right up until he squeezes in that the Kenyans do 80% of their running at 85% of max HR (just under threshold) which is way above what his book recommends.

I think the idea is generally that we can only get a small gain from each weeks trainng so there is no point doing too much hard work unless you are trying to squeeze the very last bit of potential out of yourself.
  • It's a good book, though a bit vague on whether it's time or distance at 80/20. I have it on ipad. At least it makes a serious attempt to sum up some research (e.g. by Steven Seiler) rather than just pontificate. I like the style of training one ends up with. As it happens, the marathon heart rate plan, intermediate level, built into Garmin Connect, fits well with this method. I keep an eye on heart rate percentages I have run, with the help of Strava and Fetch.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Thanks. 

Going to buy it and see for myself. image

• A word of warning on this. Part of the issues I have surrounding Seilers 80/20 research is that people are confusing a training distribution with a training modality (and these are not the same thing). It was a retrospective assessment of a summary of elite athletes training (80/20) not a rule synonymous with success.
  • > @SteveCRunner said:
    > It's a good book, though a bit vague on whether it's time or distance at 80/20.

By Seilers own definition, it's neither - it's by session. e.g. if you do 5 training sessions per week, one of those will be a higher intensity session. The other 4 would be low.