Sir Terry Pratchett

2»

Comments

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

For any die-hard fans, Steeleye Span released an album last year called "Wintersmith" which is based on some of his books (and has his voice on some of the tracks).  Some of it is not to my taste, but the last track "We shall wear midnight" is brilliant, and particularly poignant.

Muttley - you'll do fine.  Just suspend any sense of reality and accept that there are some things you won't "get" until later.

My favourites are probably Soul Music, Pyramids, Small Gods, Feet of Clay and Mort.

I love the fact that someone has started a petition on Change.org to have him reinstated - with the tag line (a TP quote) "There are times in life when people must know when not to let go. Balloons are designed to teach small children this."

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Has he died again?
  • I wonder what he actually died of...he was only in his 60s (it really annoys me people saying he died of Alzheimers!!)  It's really sad...I found him in his documentaries to be so insightful and funny...not afraid to talk of his disease, but not afraid to show his fear of his future.

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

GNU-ed my website, makes me smile every time image

• Gingerfb - why does it annoy you people saying he died of Alzheimers? It's a.terminal illness.
  • When a patient with alzheimers dies it's normally from some form of illness or codition... it is a progressive disease - but the most common cause of death for Alzheimers sufferers is pneumonia.  Or in the case of my father in law the head injury he received in his new *care* home when he was neglected and fell out of his chair and lay in a coma in hospital for a month.  

• I'm sorry to read that about your father in law and hope the family got the answers you deserved.

Im still not sure however why it would annoy you for people to talk about someone dying from Alzheimer's disease. Yes the actual cause may end up being pneumonia but that is due to the frailty caused by the Alzheimer's. People need to understand the disease is more than just memory problems, and when someone like TP passes away, especially when he has spoken so openly about his condition, then to not acknowledge that his death was attributable to Alzheimer's ( assuming he didn't have a heart attack or stroke) would be fudging the issue. National statistic apparently show that for the last two years Dementia was the biggest cause of death for women. For men its still heart disease. We need to be clear that dementia is a terminal illness - over time - so we get adequate funding for research and care and people with late stage dementias get the same palliative care as people with other terminal illnesses. I know you will be aware of all the above and i will get off my soapbox.