Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options

so what better than when injured to look at how awesome other people are training and buy yourself some expensive shoes that you cannot run in. just bought some boston boost's after everyone's reviews. however impossible finding somewhere that stocked my size....eventually found somewhere on amazon for eyewatering price of £120..they better be good...do love my adios adizero boost 2 though

jap all us benchee's can take heart from your recovery story. hoping my muscle memory means not too much damage done when I eventually return image

PP gutted not to be teaming up this weekend; was very excited for a double pb after our dream team work at Baff

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

DrD - I wore the adizero boost 2 on Sunday.  By the end, the soles of my feet were really battered (surprising as they weren't after running Florence in December and taking 13 mins longer).  Only worn them twice since too, so loss of cushioning won't be a factor.  Was concerned that my calves might cramp up in the second half, but luckily got away with it.  Will make me think about wearing them again for a marathon, so would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Boston Boost (I train in regular Bostons).

PP, TT & Selbs have all come back from major long term injuries to post times as good or better than before - so benchees shouldn't give up hope.  Reckon I've felt like its curtains after various lesser injuries in the past too.  I remember missing my first two FLMs in '97 & '98 due to injury, although the second was a broken leg from falling down the stairs pished at a new year's eve party rather than running related. image

• Options

Super well done to the Barca 3 ! Enjoyed your reports.

Well done also to ES on a cracking half PB. Looking very good for that sub 3 now.

Decent week last week with mileage back up to the level I can afford (time-wise) and my 4th 20 miler bagged in 2:35. Felt really good and picked the pace up from 13 miles to finish strong.

Steady week this week as Wilmslow half on Sunday when I finally discover where I am at. This will be a shock to the system. I ran a XC back in October and then I have to go back to Sep '13 for a road relay I ran. Unbelievably I have to then go back to Mar '12 to find the last road race I did - Trimpell 20.

Blimey, that just goes to show how much enthusiasm, working constraints and family stuff I have overcome in the past few years to get back where I am.

• Options

Awesome run DanA, really pleased you nailed the posh loo qualifier!  When I saw the result I didn't think you ran a pb as I was certain you'd run under 2:45 before, maybe something to do with the amount of times that you should have!  The sub 2:45s will come flooding in with ease now and I'm sure you'll be looking for that sub 2:40 in no time...

Seems like a few on the bench which can only mean that there are many more marathons coming up.  Healing vibes to you all.  

I'm currently testing out a new technique for injury management which seems to be working.  I've had hamstring issues in my left leg for what seems like an age now (September last year!) and it comes and goes but never really clears up.  It doesn't stop me running which is good but I just wish it would feck off.  An MRI shows a compressed disc so more than likely related to my sciatic nerve (old age or something).  Anyway, recently I've gone and developed a rather painful right glute which means I've completely forgotten about my left side as I struggle to run 8 min miles early in my runs!  So there you go, if you've got an injury or niggle in one place, aim to develop a worse injury/niggle somewhere else #simples

Probably about as useful as my old injury strategy which was simply to hammer the body with some tempo running.  It was uncanny how often that actually worked!

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

marders - cheers mate; don't suppose you have much occasion to be scrolling down as far as page 3 of the results normally.  Just another min per mile and I'll be breathing down your neck.  Assume you'll be hammering Reading again this weekend.  Good luck if it's a 100% effort - please don't damage yourself though for Manchester.  Big picture and all that.

• Options
    Great report Dan.

Grats jap , -ve split is always good. Did one once (Abingdon) and the only one I enjoyed if I'm honest.

Hope the rest works lev.

Bainspj, great to run pain free, looking forward to that one day image

Well today was 14miles of xcountry skiing in just under 2 hours. Could feel the knee a bit afterwards, which doesn't look good. Going to try and run later in the week.

Turboed yesterday for 40 mins
  • Options
    LukeSturLukeStur ✭✭✭

Fantastic report DanA - I was in a cold sweat reading in despite knowing the outcome! The feedback on the Adios Boosts is not what I want to hear after forking out £100 on a pair. Maybe you could have done with doing a few more long runs in them?

Really interesting back story JAP - I would love to see a post of your mile splits in Barcelona - I may print them out as a pacing band for VLM!

Marders - great to see you gracing the thread. Huge congratulations on all your amazing wins recently. I was hugely proud to know you when you stormed to the win at Bath to be the first British winner for 12 years!

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Luke.. if you click on the chap in position 51 (JAP) here it will give you his 5k splits..  http://zurichmaratobarcelona.com/resultados/ZMB_resultados-en.html1

DanA.. I was going to suggest that the Barcelona Marathon logistics make for a stress free weekend, unless of course you are running within 23 seconds of your target pace!

Good to see you popping in Marders, best of luck with the hamstring/glute niggles (FWIW mine are much better after 3 weeks of daily stretching).  Also fingers crossed for the podium in Manchester.

Legs feel surprisingly ok today so will go for a steady run with the club shortly. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    JAP - I couldn't remember your exact pb but knew you werent too far behind it sunday off a compromised build up. Great story of keeping positive to get back to marathoning. You could have gone quicker too. Maybe the training mix suits you.

Sj - I think you'll be fitter than you realise.

Even my numpty legs did a few second -ve split at vlm before, it just means I ran the first 1/2 too slowly.

Turbo and swim intervals today, nice to feel a bit more energetic doing them too. BAC day ttomorrow.
  • Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

Cheers for all the comments. I might add I was still able to do a lot of cycling and x-training while I was running little, so my aerobic fitness stayed pretty high.

I will add to a few of the other comments already about Barcelona being an excellent race to run. Course has a few inclines but nothing that drastic, although I am sure the last k can feel a lot steeper if your tight on your target or struggling! Logistics are great. I think my total travel time, including flight, was not that much different from London and I only live about 25 miles outside London! Oh, and it is a great city for a bit of a break after. 

My feet felt like they had been battered with a hammer for a few hour after Sunday, and that was in the old non boost adios. But that is more a lack of miles on my part as I always used to be fine in them. 

Luke, will post my splits once I am back in the Uk. 

Feels nice I can now sit and watch you all build up for London (or other marathons) with mine already in the bank ????

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

TR I do think I now have a better all round fitness now as all I ever used to do was run and at times my body did used to feel a little fragile. 

• Options

Marders - we don't know each other but I want to add my congratulations on your recent performances. Epic! I hope the glute clears up quickly.

So no let up for me after Saturday's HM race, it was the P&D scheduled 6x1K reps today. I ran them round Victoria Park in Hackney which I mention purely because of the connection to the gentleman mentioned above! The average pace came out at 5:50, which I'm well pleased with all things considered. So, just two MLRs and 14 miles of MP on Sunday to finish off this intense week of P&D!

• Options
    LukeSturLukeStur ✭✭✭

ES - fair play sticking so rigidly to the schedule. I only manage to follow plans very roughly.

Keith - where are you doing the x-country skiing? I'm off to Avoriaz next week and might try and give that a go.

---

Track session tonight. Didn't have time for the prescribed 8 x 1 mile but managed 6. After a slowish 1st 2 I stepped up to run with the lead group finishing with a 5.06 last mile (only 2 seconds off my mile PB!)

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Marders - I thought you were going to say your injury management strategy was to go out and smash a 65 minute half marathon every week. Can't wait to see what you can do at Manchester. All the best fella.

ES - Solid reps. Definitely a big P&D week.

SJ - Good luck with the half. I'm sure the race pacing memories will come flooding back!

Mile reps this evening (5 x 1600, 200 recovery). Was originally thinking anything inside target 10k pace feeling not too uncomfortable would be nice, so I imagined aiming for 5:15 or thereabouts. Maybe it was the rare outing for race shoes (Adios Boost) for intervals but that went out of the window after the first rep, and I felt great. 5:10, 5:05, 5:05, 5:05, 5:03. Most pleasingly, nearly everyone else opted for 4 reps so I paced the last one myself without blowing out my arse. Game on for pb hunting at Eastleigh.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    JAP - sounds like its done you good. Ive done ok at 1/2 and below off tri training, but marathons need miles, so top work there.

Pp - you are in good shape, all the miles are paying off. Who paces the other reps then if its not you? Do you take turns with others?
  • Options

LS, yeah, I need structure in my training or I tend to lose focus!

PP, it's all coming together for you!

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

PP, tasty reps. Nearly match your culinary efforts! image

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

PP - very nice reps, I've never done a set of mile reps faster than that.

Good to see Marders popping in. Didn't realise you were doing Manchester - hope it goes well.

Track session last night was 15x400 going every 3 mins. That didn't seem like a great marathon training session, so I took the 400s a bit steadier and was just about managing to do 400 recovery by the time they started the next one. Efforts were in about 75s, so recoveries about 1:45 i.e. alternating 5 m/m and 7m/m. By the time I got home I worked out I'd done 13M, which was a bit more than planned but just a result of running the recoveries.

5M this morning with the dog became interesting when she managed to chew through the lead with a mile to go....

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Luke - Smashing PBs on reps is definitely a good sign of progress!  As it happens I've only covered the distance in racing during a road relay but I see there is a mile race at my local open track meet in August this year (BMC fixtures recently finalised if anyone's interested) so think I might give this a go.

TR - The "B group" covers a bit of a range, so there's a re-group after each rep rather than everyone running round strictly together, and people generally sort themselves out with the quickest at the front. It can get a bit confusing as some of the youngsters duck in and out, whizzing past, doing half the interval length...  Keeps you on your toes though!
    (edit...) You also get the "A group" whizzing past every now and then, which helped me out on the final rep as I managed to hang on to one of them.  This had nothing to do with final selections being made for Southern road relays on Sunday week, honest!  image

Padams - Looking back on my log, the only time I've matched those splits there were only 3 reps, and I was practising for a 5k pb last Summer.  So, very encouraging!  Maybe I'd do them quicker with a dog pacing me.

• Options

PP - That's some session.

LukeS - Top mile reps.

Padams - Another with a brilliant track session.

TR - Hope the BAC session went well.

Nice to see Marders pop in.

7.5+7.5 mon, then 11 (6x1.25 mile kenyan hills) and 5.5 yesterday and a 5 mile death march this morning.  Legs are starting to feel it.

• Options
    LukeSturLukeStur ✭✭✭

TR/ES - Are you twins, or maybe even the same person!? (see avatars above)

PP - awesome mile reps there, all bar 1 faster than my mile PB (from my one and only mile race 7 years ago!). Good to know that I'm getting close enough to throw a rope around the likes of you speedsters though. I put it down to the fact that I am trying to get down to race weight well before race day so that I can benefit from being lighter whilst training. Usually I'm struggling to get to goal weight in the week before the marathon, whilst simultaneously trying to carbo-load!

SL - good mileage and those hills sound painful!

Padams - nice track session

• Options
    Well done to the Barcelona crew, JAP, Wardi and DanA.

Especially impressed with Dan who I seem to remember took about a dozen attempts

to go sub 3 so a sub 2.45 is really remarkable.

Really impressed with Wardi too. My last outing was a 3.33 at VLM 2011 aged 54 so a

3.30 aged 57 is top draw stuff.

Can't really comment on JAP because it is way beyond anything I was capable of doing.

While I'm on I thought I'd update you on the Dull family. Some of you will have met them at one of the post VLM drink ups.

I can't run more than 1.5 hours now without running the risk of having a limp the next day.

The problem in in the calf achillies area. Got a roller now which has helped but my marathon running days I think are over.

I'm still in good health though and happy.

Mrs Dull came off the breast cancer drugs last year and is all clear which is a massive relief. She is a runner and recently ran her first half.

Miss Dull is about to go into her final year at Surrey where she is studying Law.

Master Dull is in his first year at Oxford where he is studying Maths and Computer Science

a major shock to me as I thought he was a bit dim.

Neither of the kids are runners then again I wasn't at their age.

My next post will probably be next year when I'll become a V60 that is unless something massive happens on here like another Barcelona.

Dull
  • Options

top sessions and looking in pb form from padams and pp pretty special paces

dan may be while before I can let you know about boston boosts as expected delivery date anywhere up to a month.  only ever done marathon in Asic DS 17 which now feel very heavy and boggy after use of adios boost whihc have felt great on all sorts of training runs and up to half races

managed 1 hour spin last night, don't think aggravated things really so despite my 4 pound weight gain in a week things might be looking up

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Dull - great to see you pop in! Sounds like the family are all doing well and great news about Mrs Dull. Just a shame Master Dull picked a rubbish university.

Hope to see you setting some good V60 times in the near future!

• Options

dull great news about the family. got some brains there and fantastic to here Mrs Dull has the all clear at present. keep working with the roller adn you never know about a future marathon

luke great session. looking for for vlm

• Options

Blimey, first Marders and now Dull Napoleon popping in - who's next?!?

Dull, Have you tried the eccentric heel drops for your Achilles problem?

LS, the avatar similarity between myself and TR has been mentioned before! All being well, we will be able to dispel the myth at the Red Lion in a few weeks!

• Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭

DanA - re. the shoe/foot problem at Barca, could it be down to the increase in temperature? i.e it was probably quite a bit warmer in your March marathon than the December one and maybe there was a bit more swelling of the feet going on?

PP/LukeS/Padams - Very impressive track sessions! PP that must be one heck of a club you're in if 5:03 mile reps only gets you into the 'B' group!

ES - Sounds like a pretty tough plan that P&D, I'm sure it'll be worth it come race day. A half marathon/long run double is quite an effort in one weekend.

JAP - You were on the Amsterdam thread (2010) when i completed my first marathon, i don't think you actually managed to run it in the end but you were a great inspiration to me at the time. I remember my mind boggling at you talking about aiming for a sub 2:45 at the time. It seemed super-human to me then.

A very sore 10 mile recovery run for me on Monday, legs were still suffering from the racing flat shoe trial long run on Sunday. Club yesterday with 5 x 1km reps, 2.5 min recovery on our usual loop which has a sharp hill about half way round. Splits were 3:20, 3:18, 3:14, 3:07, 3:09. I was very much hanging-on on the last rep as legs are really feeling the mileage at the moment. Cycle to work today (25 mile each way) as the car is in the garage, not complaining though as the weather is cracking! image

• Options
    Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

Am a big fan of the boston boosts and will be using them at VLM unless I find something EVEN better .... the drop is perfect, and use them for alot of training too, I've previously had sore achilles and bursas especially from speed work on the track in lower drop flats.

The boost material is great especially in the last few miles where a bit of a heel strike might be going on. A friend of mine just went to the Adidas research labs to see what they are up to and its like a Car manufacturers testing lab, they really seem to be putting alot into materials research. The ultra boost are super comfortable, but not as a race shoe obiously. If you haven't tried the boosts out its worth it, especially if you have slightly narrower feet.

Had a great track session with the boston boosts last night image Averaging just under 5:35 miles   600,800,1200,1500,1200,800,600 with around 45 seconds rest.... not overly marathon specific but good to keep the top end ticking over.

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

Dull, our founder -- honoured to have you back. Glad to hear the family is in good form even if your achilles isn't.

Must chip in to say well done Marders on your sequence of wins -- you must have amassed a significant wadge of cash!

Like ES, AlanB, Banksy, Padams and PP (nice going all!) I was due for some quality today. I didn't have so much to carry so I only had a 1.1kg bumbag (as used for fell racing) instead of the normal 2-3kg rucksack. I did:
      1M w/u
      6x(0.5M avg 5:37/M, 0.25M off 7:42/M)
      8.4M @ 6:20/M tempo -- overall 14.2M @ 6:26/M.
    That's noticeably better than the last couple of weeks when I've done much the same session, but to be fair I was carrying less this time. Still a bit worrying not to be getting down to MP towards the end of the tempo too (maybe that means 2:40 isn't realistic). And my legs are a bit stiff now, I'll be joining SL with a death march return home (which will make it 20M for the day).

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Good to hear from you, Dull

Nice repping going on last night.  My legs finally felt a bit better and had a bit more zip in them than they had of late.  Still not great, but managed 7 x 900m at an average of 6.05m/m.  Getting there - and I suppose it's better I'm in peak shape late April than today!