RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Freemers, Nice 23 miles, you are sounding strong image

Hi 2old, I wouldn't worry about missing the 20 miler, still 50 miles in your legs for the week image

Hi o4s, Third place is Third place, how many that entered is a minor detail image

Hi 2old/Chick, Just concentrating on bettering the 3:06 PB. If I can do more all the better. Reckon it will be hard though...

• Hi Folks

Just  a quick drop in to show I'm still alive, have been offshore for a month so far running 50 mile weeks around a helideck, 17 laps to 1K. Mind bogglingly boring and hard on the joints running on steel. Home soonish

Some nice racing going on folks, Particularly please to see a debut duathlon.. welcome to the dark side Minni and start saving for that carbon  tri bike!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

DD-Wondered if you were offshore or something...and who said TM running was mind numbing?Do you rerverse direction now and again to make it interesting?At least you know how a hamster feels.Nice(outsatnding in the circs) mileage.

O4S-more likely a cafe in Cardiff where runners met?Dont do BA downimage

Nell-suppose you're right..mustn't be negative at this stage. How are the DOMS today?

• Minni - Very well done, good to see you back racing.

Nell - Boom, cracking time and congrats on the PB.

Chick -  yeah longest apart from the big day, one more 20 next weekend a HM the following then taper time. Well done on the 18.

Carrot - I hear you regarding VLM target time see below, Well done on the Parkrun and v impressive 20 miles.

AA - well done on the 20, all things crossed your fully fit soon.

o4s - Very well done on the hilly 20 and congrats.

Freemers - Great 23 miles done, no one is giving anything away regarding VLM target, how about you?

2old - Good decision with a cold, 50 miles for the week which is enough.

Target time for VLM is hard, head says anything under 3:15 but heart says maybe will never be in this good form again and go for it, lots to think about.

6 mile run done in Blackpool yesterday, tide was in but sea very calm which does n't happen too often.  In the pool this morning with tri suit and swim hat on - all good, and a quick 14 mile blast this afternoon out on the bike.

I've finally got around to organising my fundraising page for VLM. Please find time to visit it but don't feel obliged to donate.  Thanks.  http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/BarryBrierley

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- busy couple of days there eh? You should have swam in the sea to christen your wetsuit ...never mind. Target pace 7.10-7.15 .?  stick to it and at 20  open up.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

For some reason I'm finding it difficult typing here...keeps freezing...wonder what's up.

Did my Sunday LR today ....a couple of miles less....18 av 7.36 mm. The 12 on Sunday will do as this weeks MLR . Not looking forward to doing another LR  later this week 

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi DD, Blimey you can keep that run image

Hi 2old, DOMS ok today thanks, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist that LR, nice pace...

Hi Barry, I think you are in good shape for London, did you get a donkey ride in too?

10 moderate miles this morning at 7:27mm average...

• 2Old: Yes I change direction every 17 laps.... only 7 days more!

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

DD - I know I like running on the TM but even I would go mad doing 17 laps to 1km!

Barry - I'm in the "under 3.15" camp still.  I have 3.12 pace in my head for no reason other than it will give me a 2-3 minute cushion in the second half which I normally need.  I'll know more after the Wymondham 20 on Sunday as I need to hold MP for a large chunk of that (if not all of it).  But I definitely feel like my training is going really well, just don't want to jynx anything!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

DD-that must be a relief for you...only just over 1360 laps to go then

Barry-I guess I'm aiming sub 3.15 as my  target but if that fails sub 3.20 which I need for another GFA even though I may have said to Mrs2O that this is my last VLMimage.I would probably have done the latter at Boston last year had I not had to spend 20 mins in a medical tent.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

DD: good to see you. Blimey, I know I'm OCD and I can easily run up and down the same stretch of road for hours on end if need be (i. e. no clear road/pavement due to ice and snow) but running round a helideck image  the mind boggles. That's mega-mileage under those circumstance. Bet the other guys think you are completely nuts image

Going by your training paces under 3:15 should be easily doable, Barry & 2old. But we all know that things can go tits up in a marathon (like Boston for 2old and for me image). But you guys are due some luck. I'm crossing all available fingers and thumbs on April 26. Won't be able to stalk anyone as we'll be in rural Hungary then image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-crickey ! Is it nearly a year since we met in Boston? Ive got everything crossed too. Hungary sounds nice.

Just over an hour spinning today-recovery day .Trouble is the sun is shining and I want to get out there.

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Freemers, Sounding positive there, which is great to hear, hoping all goes well with the 20 image

Hi 2old, You must have plenty of miles left in you after London this year?

Hi Chick, Please no negative thoughts image Rural Hungary sounds good...

Moderate 6 miles today at 7:27mm. ..

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell- I did say it was my last VLM....know any other marathonsimage

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Freemers:  hope the 20 goes well, its amazing the effect one race can have on your confidence.  I was really knocked back after Reading, but last Sunday gave me a bit of hope.

DD: I can't survive more than a mile on a TM due to the sheer tedium, so think the helicopter pad would have brought on a meltdown of epic proportions

2Old / Barry: fighting it out for sub 3.15 bragging rights??????

Nell:  moderate at 7.27 image.  You can go off people you know..........

Quiet week for me.  20k of hill reps on the spin bike on Monday and then had my chest CT scan Monday evening followed by the Club AGM, where I had to present the accounts.  Luckily I am too scary for anyone to dare challenge them image

Tuesday 6 miles walking and legs still rubbish, today 9 miles mix of running and walking and another hill rep session on the spin bike for an hour.

Had some bad news today re VLM.  My latest cancer op has been delayed to 2 April and it requires a skin graft.  Saw the surgeon today and he said that due to having had so many operations on my ear already [it is already a very peculiar shape] the skin graft was quite likely to fail, and if this happens I will be running London with a raw and weeping ear, dressings and an infection.  I feel as if I have been here before..................................Still, suck it up etc  Anyway with the luck of the Irish perhaps I will defy the odds and it will take OK first time.

• 2old - Great pace on the 18 miler, I reckon we might be seeing each other quite a lot from the 3 mile point.

O4S - 2old  currently has bragging rights with Nell even quicker.  Hope the op goes well, you are an inspiration to us all not letting the small and big problems in life get in your way.

Not a great run this morning, plan was11 miles (1WU, 3MP, 3HMP, 3MP, 1WD) splits 7:44,(7:16,7:15,7:01),(6:35,6:35,7:02!!!),(7:06,7:10,7:01),7:26.  So lost it completely on 3rd HMP mile and then rest of the run felt way too hard.

• Barry: Bad days happen to remind us of the good days

O4S: As usual you don't let life's problems get in the way.

Chick: Hungary sounds good, hard to believe its been a year since Boston.

Nell: That would be a sprint for me these days

2Old: Come and have a go at North Dorset Village Marathon May 2016, its fun! At least 5 spectators guaranteed.

Off to the Heli deck in minute for another wind swept 5 or 6 miles, depending when the "god I'm bored" moment kicks in. Longest I've managed was 12 miles, really need longer but there are limits!!!!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

DD-thanks for the invite but I cant see me getting to Dorset in May. I have been offered to pace the 4.15 group at R&R Liverpool marathon in June and am thinking about it though it is two days after the GN Swim . Enjoy the run today. Dont suppose swimming is a good idea where you are

Barry-ha ha, in your current form and looking at your mp from your effort today I will be looking at the dust as you disappear off into the distance. Which start are you at?Think Im green but need to check.Dont fret about todays run -some pretty good pacing there...

O4S-Fingers crossed for you...I'm committed to give you a big  hug at VLM, if thats acceptable and dont tell BA. Barry is going to smash 3.15 to pieces this year.

Think I might run the Trimpell20 on Sunday-any advice on how to approach it. I did it in 2009 in 2.28 and went sub 3.15 in Boston a few weeks later.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

2old - if you are on Green you'll be able to hug O4S without BA seeing as I think he's on a different start image.  For your 20 I'd definitely do a fair chunk of the race at MP.  Still 5 weeks to go so time for recovery.

O4S - not again! Hopefully it'll go to plan without any complications.

Barry - forget about a bad run. Next one will be better image

Off for some intervals shortly.

• Morning all. 

DD - I can't imagine laps around a heli deck. Good oneimage

O4S - poor you. Fingers crossed It goes well. Not the first time you've run London patched up!

barry - doesn't look like a bad run to me. 1 mile 20 seconds off? Still bloody good. 

2old - looking forward to green start party?

carrot - are you on the champ start this year?

im resting this week in the hope of a recovery in time for Reading on Sunday. Feeling so nervous. 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Hope your recovery goes well, AA. Probably a smart idea to take it easy this week and let your body sort the rest of that virus out once and for all.

Barry: You've knocked out some superfast runs lately. Perhaps it's cottonwool time now?

O4S: image  well, you've done it once ...

Dubai Dave wrote (see)

Off to the Heli deck in minute for another wind swept 5 or 6 miles, depending when the "god I'm bored" moment kicks in. Longest I've managed was 12 miles, really need longer but there are limits!!!!

12 miles on a heli deck count double image

Just another 6 easy ones d&d this morning. It's so gorgeous right now. The sun is just rising when I leave the house, there is no wind and the temps are nice and cool (between 2 and 8 degrees). Just perfect. I think March is my favourite running months. April is usually too windswept and wet and then it gets too hot ...

I've just signed up for a 10k race on 12 April image. What was I thinking? It's not quite a 10k, but a "quarter marathon" (which apparently is 10.55k). But I wanted to get a feel for some speed as I'm part of the relay team from work in the Prague marathon on May 3. I really don't want to be the slowest! Especially as they've given me the final 12.2 k leg which takes you over the Charles bridge and across the Old Town.
    And I've just paid the entry fee for the Hamburg half marathon on June 21. I'm strangely excited about entering some races again. Boston was my last ... it's been too long!

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

2Old: hugs are always acceptable and in any case Freemers is spot on, BA is on a different start - in Stratford-upon-Avon imageimage  BTW you don't fancy eloping do you?? I could offer BA to Mrs 2Old - bathroom cleaning and ironing a speciality (his not mine).................................

Barry:  I was assuming Nell would have bragging rights on sub 3.00........

AA: are you starting to feel any better yet?  Champ start or green start this year?

Chick: I agree about March v April for running.  I reckon doing a marathon as part of a team is the way forward for me.

Freemers: have faith and go for it, you are definitely training at sub 3.15

Currently worried about my surgeon's eyesight and level of intelligence - he has just described me (in a letter to my GP) as an extremely pleasant lady.  BA reckons he has mixed me up with the person before or after - so hope their operation is nothing too drastic image

• O4S - decided on GFA green as 6 days after Boston I'll only expect to do @4:30 and I might run fancy dressimage

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Free- that's probably my plan if I do the 20 though there is a local 10k which I might do after a 14 mile warm up instead.It will save me a two hour drive and free me to see Liverpool v Man U. Big decision ! How did the intervals go?Anything other than sub 3.15 is not an option !

AA- looks like it's going to be a wild party at the green start. Why not wear all the souvenir gear you will buy at Boston including the coveted jacket?

O4S- Can't wait to get to the Green start. Hmmm not sure about the swop .,, I like my shirts nicely ironed ????. Doctors use codes in their letters.., the word 'extremely ' is telling the other doc all he needs to know about you

Chick - great to see your rehab progressing and you splashing the cash on some races. I would run the Prague leg really slow .,, all the best sights of the city and atmosphere .,, just take a camera and record the run home

MLR today , 15 miles av 7.50, first 10 slow last 5 in 36 mins.

Easy day tomorrow
  • old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

2Old: I also like my shirts nicely ironed - why do you think I have been married to BA for coming up to 40 years!!  image

Wonderful day today - out on the bikes to view the eclipse, then 40 miles in glorious sunshine, primroses and daffodils in the banks, blossom in the hedgerows, wobbly little lambs in the fields plus a tea stop with homemade gingerbread and back for lunch sitting out in the garden.  Spring has [at least temporarily] sprung!!

Have binned the 20 mile race tomorrow to concentrate on the 30 mile off-road jaunt on Sunday, then off for a week of walking and running in the Peak District with another 30 miler there next weekend.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S- but your not offering BA to me....I hope. Nice bike ride....sounds like Wordsworth on wheels. Slacking again tomorrow eh? 

Guilty day not running today. 

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

HI o4s, I can't see an op stopping you, especially when in the next breath you are binning a 20mile day run for a 30 mile one the day after image

Hi Barry, I don't think I would remember what pace I was supposed to be running with that interval session. We move on, I wouldn't say that was a bad session. It is a training plan remember, things aren't meant to be perfect every time.

Hi DD, I doubt you can build up speed on your circuit, at least you are getting outdoors for your run image

Hi AA, Good luck with Reading...fingers crossed for you.

Hi Chick, Right thing to do, give you some focus.

Hi 2old Nice 15, got you on the VLM, Edinburgh next year then?image

Interval session yesterday, 2 mile warm-up/cool-down and 6 x 1 mile -10 secs MP with 400M recoveries...went a bit faster in places, but it was one of the best mornings I have had in training this year for weather. Sunny and no wind. Splits: 6:39, 6:24, 6:34, 6:24, 6:34, 6:25 managed to slightly pull my calf going round a corner, so grid roller out in action! Rest day today and no guilt felt, bit of S&C in the gym.

• DD the 17 laps around a helideck must take some concentration! Did you never lose count? A chap from our running club set himself the challenge this week of covering 30 miles by running around the centre circle on a football pitch. I'll have to introduce the two of you some time image

Barry I hear you with the head v heart marathon target conundrum! Don't despair with the run earlier this week. You hit target pace on more of the miles than not, and remember that is only one run in a long (injury free) build up.

Freemers I really think 3:12 is well within your capabilities. Hope the intervals went well yesterday.

Nothing holds you back O4S, what's surgery when you've got a busy race schedule planned! Enjoy the 30M 'jaunt' on Sunday.

Are you feeling any better AA? Really hope you've shaken that lurgy off in time for Reading. Yes it's champs start for me this year, trying not to think about it to be honest!

2Old pacing sounds like fun, how did you get into that? I'd go for a progression run at Trimpell, or 10M easy followed by 10M marathon pace.

Chick you've got a few races to look forward to! Different distances to the usual too, I very much doubt you'll be the slowest of your relay team.

I've had a fairly easy week this week apart from a 10M marathon pace run on Tuesday. I'm doing a 10M race on Sunday so no long run this week. I find the easy weeks harder than the hard ones, can't seem to motivate myself to run when it's less miles.
  • Hope the calf is ok after the mile reps Nell. If the grid roller doesn't ease it off nothing will!
  • Nell - quick stuff, more like HM pace.  Take it easy with that calf, been there don't push it.

Carrot - Champs start - enjoy the experience, the way you are running you will be a permanent fixture there for many a year, is Parsnip off the same start?  I know I will need some serious self control not to set off too quick come race day. Good luck for tomorrow.

2old - I'll be in pen 2 on blue probably, so you will get a less congested start. Nice 15 miler.

AA - Good luck and enjoy, if you can, for tomorrow.

14 mile blast on the bike yesterday morning, raised the seat by 10mm and was nearly 1mph faster than same ride on tuesdayimage, swim club last night - lots of kicking.

20 miles this morning at  7:31 avg, plan was 3 slow, 3MP, 3slow, 3MP, 3 slow, 5 MP.  Splits:3 slow - 8:11,7:52.7:52
    3 MP - 7:19,7:18, 7:14
    3 slow - 7:55,7:43,7:48
    3 MP - 7:24,7:31,7:32   wtf
    3 slow - 7:42,7:39,7:44 not slow enough
    5 mp - 7:12,7:08,7:10,7:11,6:54

Legs not happy from the start, yesterday's bike and swim taking their toll maybe. I was n't happy during the second set of MP but the last 5 more than made up for it.  So at mile 12 I was thinking another bad run which turned into a good run on tired legs.