Sub 3h15

Comments

• Been away for a while but lots of good running going on.  I missed 3 days last week due to my niggly knee but everything seems ok this week.

64 miles with the Garioch 10k today, fairly pleased with 40:02 but would have been happier with sub 40.  Amazing the difference 3 seconds can make.

• Nicely tabbed Jools. An impressive week wrapped around it too. I shall refrain from saying the obvious, just in case I'm the jinx.

It looks like it was a great day for racing, so I shall pop back in later to see who else has produced results. I've got to remember that 1) I'm a coffin dodger 2) my A race is not until September. Therefore two consecutive heavy days is enough, and rest is actually likely to be a good thing.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Looking good, Jools.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Birch / Lorenzo / scc good long runs

Bike It - Great Report, well done

Jools - good 1/2 racing

JF2 - Nice 10k of hard miles

Blisters - ADIDAS do the same to my feet too....

Eastleigh 10k this morning in the middle of a long run. Bang on 2 hours for 15.28m with the 10k done at MP 44:17 (ok so was 43 secs too fast as was aiming for 7:15s.... - had to keep checking myself as body felt like it should be racing.... Followed up with another 5 on tired legs tonight - 20.28m for the day image

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

Jools - well done. I enjoyed your steady pacing for the first 5-6 miles or so but soon after that I was toast. I can confirm that you looked very comfortable as you pulled away from me!

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Great work Jools, you must be very happy with that. Particularly impressive in the midst of a big week.

Sound like Wool did alright as well
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Nice to have you back Blisters- you've been missed!

• Nice run there Jools. Report please Wool.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    83:39. Head gone at 7 miles. Same old story for me - often fit enough to go faster but lose the plot when out on the course. Good to get a race in though, it's been a while.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - great parkrun. Hope the hamstring is OK.
    Lorenzo - good 20 miler.
    OO - good parkrun efforts by you and jnr.
    PMJ - excellent parkrun.
    GM - I'm hoping to do the Grand East Anglia Run 10k. A long way to go to get to sub 40 fitness though! Nice 4 miler.
    Blisters - good to hear from you. Do you have any plans to race a tri? Ah, in September maybe?
    Birch - a varied 21 miler!
    Bike It - excellent effort. Well done.
    ssc - a mixture of those sessions sounds good - just not all 4 in one week!
    Jools - great HM result.
    JF2 - nice 10k. You must be gutted to miss sub 40.
    RFJ - another good weekend of running!
    Wool - still a great time.
    Attempted some 10k paced intervals this morning. 7 miles with 4 x 1200m in 4:53, 4:51, 4:45 and 4:53 - not too bad (4:48 was the target). Got lots of work to do yet.

• Wool wrote (see)
    83:39. Head gone at 7 miles. Same old story for me - often fit enough to go faster but lose the plot when out on the course. Good to get a race in though, it's been a while.

What is the plan ahead? London marathon is 34 days away (5 weeks yesterday) and you have just run 1:23 and all the calculators say that is easily good enough for a sub 3 at London, but you were slightly faster last year. Your training is definitely there but if your head goes at 7 in an half then you need a plan to ensure you reap the benefit. Maybe you need to find the Wool who drove the 1:30 bus at Wokingham so well.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Nice strong run Joolska

What happens to your head, wool?

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Wool-great time even if you lost your head image

Gul-great reps.

Had a bit of a lump in my hammy so rollered it flat again image rest yesterday and out today but only got 3 x 10 min miles, don't have any power in that leg at the minute image but at least it isn't sore now so not quite on the bench yet image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Cracking time Jools!

And you too Wool. What time do you think you can do with your head sorted?

Solid outing RFJ.

Bike race yesterday on an undulating 60m course around Penrith. Lovely day for it and went off pretty hard. Flew past hundreds of other riders (rolling start event) and just when I was easing off on the last third I got dragged into a 3 man chain gang that was powering past. Expertly marshalled by a super manic and aggressive rider who seemed determined to bury himself which inspired the other 2 of us to dig deep. Great fun. Until my chain came off with half a mile to go. Cost me about a minute and I came in with a 3hr:15:30s time (harrumph). 41st / 1000ish.
  • SJ, 60 metre bike ride and you weigh 41 stone image 

Or 60 mile bike and you came forty first image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Not telling.....image
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Incidentally, the Jonathon Brownlee who was racing (who I beat by 45mins) was probably a different Jonny since he is listed as 10years older than he of Olympic triathlon fame. But I'm still claiming it as an epic takedown....
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - image. Do the marathon, do it man! It's your home turf too, is it not? Great win over Jonny, show's what good form you're in!image 41/1,000 sounds prettty impressive to me.

Gul - Won't take you long to get there. Nice reps.

Wool - Very good time even if your head melted. Hope you can keep it together for London.

Jools - Excellent run and I'm sure a great confidence boost for your A race.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - take care now.
    SJ - impressive performance. Would be mahoosively impressive if you were 41 stone!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    When I am forced into training retirement then I probably will end up 41 stone the way I am currently eating. Yum!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Wool- don't put yourself under too much pressure. You are obviously a very good runner you just need to turn up on race day in the right frame of mind. Easy for me to say, racing for 20+ years. Just remind yourself why you are there- you decided to do this, it's fun, probably the main thing in your life outside work and family. The targets are important but not life critical. Revel in being a good runner at the top of your game, and come what may...  

• Tosh OO52.
    Shoot for the moon, and one day you'll get there.

Shoot for the stars, and you'll always miss.

Aim lower, and you'll always look at the moon and wonder "what if".

• Chapeau to Jools for a cracking performance at Reading. Target for VLM?

Congrats to SJ for a notable scalp image

6.5 commuting miles for me - nothing special. Buying a new pair of Sayonaras was the running highlight today.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - enjoy the new Sayonaras.
    Easy 5 miles for me this morning while playing postman around the town.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Another final interview today (I'm going to have to choose one of these some time soon!) so a double session this morning - 45min turbo, then straight into a run session including 3x1k at 6mm then 2x1k at 5:45mm all off 400m. Lovely.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    What did you deliver Gul?
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo, did I just see your picture on an MT Facebook post? Fame at last!!!
  • Did a bit of a run: 11+ miles at 7:52m/m. A little more of a push than a cruise. Ave HR 132 max 142. There's a lot more work to do before I'm at a stage when I could consider going for a marathon time.

I was feeling good with myself, then my young daughter arrived home from school. Everyone in her class had forgotten that it was her birthday (15) so I needed a mop for all the tears. Can it be solved with cake?

/members/images/26252/Gallery/IMG00198-20150321-1706.jpg

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

BENCHED! image

2 days of rest followed by a simple 5 miler at MP yesterday and then strained my right calf muscle (soleus) in the final mile. Gutted!

Have had this before, 2 years ago prior to Paris but it was worse back then.
    This was the first run of my taper period, pi$$ed off that it's happened but as it's a light strain I reckon I should be alright for later this week.
    Have been icing, stretching and foam rolling and it feels better already but it's really knocked my confidence.

A bit of a scare but a warning not to be complacent. Just a nervous wait now until I get to test it our in the next run. Getting through that will give me time to build my confidence again.image

GD