Just a Little Bit Further - 2014

Comments

• Afternoon

Sounds fun Ecky and great to keep your motivation up. Well done

15 mile run for me this morning and was a great to be out after being stuck at work all weekend. Averaged 9.55 m/m which is what my long slow runs should be paced at..so I am told Speeded up for the last mile which was 8.3m/m and there were a few marathon paced miles in there too 9m/m so training all going well so far image

Hope everyone is well

• hi all

did 12 miles yesterday, it was such a lovely warm sunny day it was great being out so went further than planned as I was enjoying it so much

Barcelona Half on SUnday - we are heading down to Gatwick on Friday night, airport hotel and fly out early Saturday morning image

• Hi Franny, yes its great fun and makes me run a little bit more so I can find the letters. Well done on your run today too, loved the pics.

Hi Mathschick, fab running from you too, I cant wait till I can clock that mileage again.

Good weekend of running for me though with my fastest parkrun of the year. Nothing for me today though as got a huge piece of homework that's due in tomorrow. I keep getting distracted image

• ecky - I am still doing walk/run. Mind you, I am doing the same pace as when I used to just run! Well done on your parkrun

• OOooooo well done Ecky on your fastest parkrun of the year. The 1st of many I think.

Mathschick Great running from you too.Enjoy Barcelona and the half marathon too. Its great to do races abroad image

7 miles for me today just over the hour.image

Hi AF hope your well

• Afternoon,

Seem to be forgetting about this thread at the moment. image

MC-Have a great time in Barcelona- look forward to the race report.

Ecky- well done on your park run.

Franny- 7 miles in just over an hour. Impressive speed!!

Well I managed to do 42 miles last week including 15 on Sunday. Have done three runs this week and will run with the ladies tomorrow. Not sure how far I will run on Sunday as have the Brighton 1/2 marathon on the 22/2. So need to decide when I will do my next long run.

• hi all

AF - well done on your mileage last week but naughty boss for forgetting about us!

I have had a really busy week at work and have been feeling rough all week with a sore throat image I am hoping I will be ok for Sunday....

• Morning

Mathschick  Enjoy Barcelona and the race image

AF Wow impressive mileage image I too have a half marathon on the 22nd...its a hilly one so wont be fast. I am going to do 16 miles tomorrow or Sunday and then do my half the following week which will be  a cut back in mileage week for me anyway so the half will count as my long run for that week then ramp up the distance the following week.image 

My weekly mileage this week is 32 miles. The most for a long while...in fact I am up to 60 miles for February already whilst my total February miles last year was 67 image

Did my track session last night 1km repeats with 60 seconds recovery..I did 6 image Short 3 mile recovery jog this morning.

Hope everyone is ok and yes you are a naughty AF for forgetting about us.

• Hiya

Thanks everyone, really chuffed about my parkrun results.

Mathschick, good luck in Barcelona, how exciting.

• Afternoon all

16 misty miles for me this morning image

• I'm still here but no running to report as hubby has been in India all week. He's due back late tomorrow evening.  So I've been leaving the house at 7.30am and getting home with kids from their swimming etc at 8pm. Then having to warm up something and get stuff ready for the next day, plus normal marking blah, blah, blah.

Today middle son has a swimming competition and other two have music lessons, training and science club but I've managed to find an hour now for a bit of a facebook etc chillout!  My body is going to pot!!! and what's more, all my friends seem to be on a health and fitness drive! Oh well, I live in hope of getting back into some sort of running routine....

Well done to all you dedicated runners!! xxxxx

• Morning,

Jude-Hope you get some time to do some running again.

MC-Well done for your half I hope you had a great time in Barcelona.

Ecky- Did you do a Park Run at the weekend.

Well I decided to do a long run on Sunday with 4 of my ladies. 16.3 miles achieved and finding it easier- although we seem to be very slow!!

So will ease back this week and my long run will be the Brighton 1/2 on Sunday.

Bye for now.

• AF - Good luck for the Brighton 1/2 and well done on your long run.

MC - Looks like you had a great time!

Hi Franny and Ecky!

We are snowed in.  No school today and probably the most snow we have ever had.  Looks like about a metre from the window.  Daughter still has swimming training later though.....don't fancy the journey much, definitely not driving!

BFN xx

• Woo hoo Jude Snow...enjoy making snowmen and doing snow angels image

Track session tonight for me image Been to gym this morning

• morning all

Jude - I saw the pictures on facebook of the snow! Hope you managed to get your daughter to training, but a bonus having time off school when you were so rushed anyway

AF - well done on your run last weekend! Long runs are supposed to be slow remember...

well, we have had a great week and are not that happy to be home to the cold! The half was a bit weird, well organised, but with a field of 15000 I expected more people of my speed and slower! In the UK a race with that many people I would be far from the back. Also, no crowd! Not even at the start.... I had been ill all week and with the journey I was shattered, but determined to do it. We set off early on Sunday anticipating lots of traffic - but there was none. There were also only 8 portaloos for all the runners!! I really couldn't believe it, and both men and women were peeing in the streetimage Anyway, I managed to get into a portaloo then went to the start line. No charity costumes, and everyone at the back looked fit and fast, I was wibblying a bit, but oh well. There were elites there, and they set off before everyone else - in fact Florence Kiplagat set a new world record! The course was flat and a bit dull, and Barcelona suffers from smelly drains in the same way that lots of Spanish cities do. Within a few minutes I realised that the sweep bus was on my heels and I didn't want that for the whole race, so speeded up and did a few speedy miles (for me) to get away from the back. Overtook a few people and just hoped I could leave them behind. Aid stations had plenty of water and blue poweradeimage so I just had the water. It was basically a case of hold on, grit my teeth and try not to get caught by the sweep bus, by the end those first few fast miles caught up with me and the last few miles were slower, but I finished and have the medalimage I think I need to be faster to enjoy a race in Spain again! But, glad that I did it and we thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the holiday. It was warmish so we went to the beach a few times, went to Barcelona and saw a few sights, did a nice long walk one day

• Mathschick  Well done on your Half Marathon in Barcelonaimage I do find that there seems less crowd support in foreign races and defo no charity folk although I can say the crowd was good at Lisbon however patchy at bits. Prague was much the same image

Well I did my Half marathon on Sunday and the weather conditions were brutal. Very strong wind,gales icy cold sleet and snow plus a bit slippy underfoot and a very undulating course image As I said earlier I wasn't looking to PB but to do it my hope to be marathon pace and finished in 1.58.16 so was more than happy given the tough course and weather. Really only 3 mins off my PB image and was 7 th in my age category out of 35.

Hope everyone is well. its still not great weather wise up here

Speak soon

• well done franny!!

back to work for me this week image

• loula!!! how are you????

• Thanks Loula sis

Track session last night for me which consisted of 1km repeats with 90 secs recovery.image I did 7 and a bit image

Have a good weekend everyone

• AF - hope you had a great birthday

Franny - well done for your track session

tough week this week - one of the 6th formers (well, she had already officially left) committed suicide. Very sad

Belvoir challenge tomorrow - 26 miles off road run/walk - might be more walk than run to be honest

• Oh dear Mathschick Such a shame about the young lass. So sad that she felt the need to take her own life. Hope your challenge went well today.

18 miles for me..tough going..think my legs are still a tad tired from track and my race last Sunday. Would normally have left my long run till Sunday but the weather was better for today than tomorrow.

Yes AF...bossman Hope your birthday was good. image

• Boo Anyone there

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Hope everyone is well and managing to get some running done.

I did 20 miles the other day...longest run for about 2 years...image Track session last night 600m repeats x 8 in the torrential rain...was more like a swimming session lol

• hi everyone

sorry, I have had a cold and have been sulking a bit about it! Missed a half marathon last week because of it.

feeling better now though image

Well done on the 20 miler franny! I need to get a long run in this weekend or Manchester Marathon is going to be far too hard!

• Mathschick Glad your feeling better and hope you get your long run in image When is the Manchester Marathon??

I did 21 miles this morning ...a straight route right along the union canal from home to Linlithgow...Hubby came a picked me up to take me home..really enjoyed doing a one way route and hadn't been that far along the canal so was very enjoyable. Did it in around 3 hrs 20 so am happy with that image

• well done on your run franny

had a bit of a failure this morning. Hardly slept but still got out of bed at 4 to squeeze a long run into a hectic day (I was lying there awake anyway so may as well) but got 7 miles in, really wasn't enjoying it, was feeling tired and grumpy. Have promised to take the kids swimming then for lunch and really didn't want to be snapping their heads off, so after 7 miles went home, shower, back into bed.

Now, I am supposed to be doing Manchester Marathon on 19 April, the longest run I have done so far has been the Barcelona Half a month ago. Problem is, I have been plagued by colds etc since xmas, have had a week of good training, then a cold, couple of weeks good, then another cold, so training has really suffered, specially the long runs. I need to decide whether to DNS Manchester and put more effort and time into cycling as I also have Outlaw half coming up - in something like 2 and a half months (1 June?).

I need to decide this when I am not tired and irrational though! 

Did have a good 3k swim with the kids (they played on the slides and stuff) so the day wasn't a total failure!  
  • Hello All,

Managed 20 miles yesterday in 3.07 so similar pace to Franny. Somewhat hilly, but had the company of 4 ladies from my club!! Not sure when my next long run is all of the people I am training with our doing Brighton Marathon on 13/4 so they have done their long runs. May have to man up and do a long one myself.

Franny-Well done for all of your training you will be flying in London!

MC- RE Manchester- I guess it is whether you are wanting a time or not? Still have a little time left for a long run.Not sure where you have got upto.

At least I am more positive with my running now.

• wow, well done on that 20 miler AF, glad you are feeling positive about it!

Yeah, I don't need to decide yet, in fact I don't really need to decide until the day before as we can cancel the hotel up until then. I'll see how the next couple of weeks go

• Hi Great running AF...image you are speedier than me so don't mind if you want to run your own race at the marathon image  I am not sure I will be able to keep pace with you and chat too as all my long runs have been done solo so not used to chatting whilst keeping up my marathon pace. Up to you what you decide I will not take offence but looking forward to it. However I had a nightmare of a long run on Monday...did it after work which I am not used to and 18 miles felt very hard compared to my 21 the week before image I guess we all get training runs like that and hope I don't feel like that on the BIG day.

AF..Have you decided if your travelling on the day or staying in a hotel the night before. Final instructions magazine due out soon image

Mathschick I am pleased your feeling more positive about your running and hope you feel good to go to Manchester. I have heard its a great one to do.

• Hi Franny. Think I will be traveling up on the day. I would be happy to run with you- need to work out how to find you & hopefully be in the same starting pen. RE speed at the moment I am really slow and think I will struggle to go sub 4 hours! However, I would like to run with someone as only one other person from the club is running. 

I hate running in the afternoon!! Not sure what to do with my long runs now as everyone I have been training with is doing Brighton 2 weeks before and therefore no one to do long runs with.

How many more long runs are you planning?

DId 10 yesterday and may just do a couple of 15 miles in the next couple of weeks.

MC-How are things?