Brighton Marathon 2015

Comments

• Thanks J Swizzle and John2443 for your advice, it really is appreciated.  I didn't realise it was 9:15 start, I have booked for London Road station and I won't have any baggage to worry about anyway.

• Anyone else having problems trying to find the tracking app on ITunes?

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I was planning on staying the night with a friend in Brighton the night before but am now thinking about registering on the Fri and driving down Sunday morning.  Anyone have any ideas on where to park?  how early to get there?  I imagine it will be quite busy in Brighton on race morning.  

Not run much since Thursday as i have had a lurgy.  Convinced myself that i wont get ill just before the race now.  I hope I am right.

• VF2 - be prepared to take at least 10 minutes to get out of Preston Park station.  It gets very busy and there is only a narrow exit.

• Well I have awoken from my slumber and so have come to say hello.

hello.

See you all soon image

• Got my race no. today for the BM10k - no. 512.  You wont be able to miss me, I am running for Marie Curie Cancer Care and will be dressed as a daffodil.

Looking forward to the run now, and then watching the marathon after I finish.

Good luck to everyone running either the Brighton Marathon or BM10k.  Hope your tapering is going well.

• What time does the 10k start Ann? 

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

PG3 - Sunday morning, the A23 (main road into Brighton) will be mostly closed from Carden Avenue, just before elite Start, so you won't be able to get to central Brighton by that route, if you want to park in a multi storey in town so you aren't too far from finish you can get to Churchill car parks by coming down Dyke Road, past Brighton Station and down West Street BUT the traffic getting out of there during the afternoon is an absolute nightmare!

I would park on street in the area north of Preston Park - around Surrenden Road, you will definitely find space there in under a mile from start and it's free. The 5B bus from the Pavillion will take you back there afterwards. buses.co.uk to check details.

You'll need to look at a map to make sense of the above, don't use sat nav as it probably won't know about road closures, coming down the A23 you need to turn off not later than Carden Avenue, I'd turn off before then because there may be a queue there with people asking what to do!

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

10k starts at 0830

• Im staying in Crawley the night before and have booked the park and ride on Mill road I'm hoping that its straight forward to get to, it looks like it on the map. I wanted to stay closer but not much in the way of hotels left not without paying an absolute fortune anyway. How's everyone's training going?

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Rick - Mill Road is straightforward, just off the A27. I think that the reasonably priced hotels were probably booked up a year ago!

• Thanks Greenfairy, I booked tickets to get me into London Rd on the advice of John2443 so hopefully won't get delayed for long getting out of the station.

The logistics of travel, hotel and babysitting all seem harder to sort than the run at the moment.

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Vicky - I don't imagine London Road station will be very busy, but you can exit either side so if there's a queue to go over the footbridge you can stay that side of the track,.

Whichever side you are, head downhill and turn right, there's hardly any difference in distance one side or the other.

• Please advise people to use park and ride, buses or trains John. If everyone tries to park in residential area it will be chaos!!

• I'm staying in gatwick and training it to Preston park, train arrives about 8.10. I tried to book a hotel a year ago but they caught on this year and hiked the prices as soon as the rooms became available.
  • I booked a premier inn on 20/04/14 (first day they became available) and for 2 rooms for 2 nights in Newhaven in will cost just under £300. I could have gone this weekend and it would have been half the price.  Supply and demand I guess.

• Maybe cos it's school holidays too? Gatwick was ??31 and train ??10. Wife will drive in with kids later.
  • I am staying near Brighton sea front and walking to the start - someone told me they had already booked dinner as places get booked up - was just assuming my hotel would feed me? guess i will have dinner and then just try not to get nervous till morning - mmmm what do people do the night before? can't drink red wine (normal Sat night activity).... scrabble, cards? Anyone fancy a game? image

• You can't go wrong with Donatellos. Nice simple pasta. 

• They are filling up! I just booked table now

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

there are some bargains still on airbnb.  John thanks for the info.

• Im back from Jerusalem marathon, and everyone seems to be getting into things here. only 2 weeks to go......Taper time!

• 3.57.07. Looked a bit warm over there. 

• J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭

Good week of training for me so far, 10m with 6 at a MPish followed by 10 easy miles the next day. This morning i finally broke 18 minutes for 5k with a new PB of 17:54 which made my day. Near enough time to wrap myself in cotton wool and take it easy until the 12th.

• Wenter - Hope it went well and you enjoyed it.

Congrats on PB J Swizzle!

I'm not sure I'll make it to the start line. I was staying in Liverpool with work Thursday night and went out for a 14 mile run alongside the Mersey and somehow turned my ankle. It didn't feel too bad, so I carried on. That night I started to get a pain in my lower leg which got progressively worse. I'm now limping around, still in pain and can't work out if it is my ankle or calf.

I hope it is ankle, if it is calf there will be no chance of making it as I've torn it before and it took a couple of months to recover last time.

If I do make it, injury aside, will missing the last 2 weeks of training have much of an adverse effect?

• J Swizzle, that's flying! Great work.

Manatbar, shame about the injury. Hopefully it is nothing serious. Can't imagine it'll be too detrimental not getting in much running over the next couple of weeks.

I went slightly quicker than Tunbridge Wells half at Hastings last weekend, finishing in 1:26:16. I've got Paddock Wood half tomorrow. I'll be aiming for MP tomorrow so hoping for a comfortable 1:30
  • J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭

Top effort Lombster, all looking good for you!! Keep a lid on it tomo though.

Manatbar, sorry to hear about the injury and hope it is only a tweek. 2 weeks taking it easy is probably what most of us should be doing so probably no harm done. get healthy soon

• Manatbar Hope its not too serious next couple of weeks is made up of easy stuff anyway hope you make it to the start line!

• Booked a bunkhouse bed two weeks ago for 27 quid!!! Includes breakfast... Worth checking out!!