Tenerife 0-4-0 2015/16

Anyone done /doing / going ? Looks a great event , feedback from anyone who's done this greatly appreciated image

Comments

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

I went to Tenerife in December last year and ran this route, it's about 35 miles total and 14,000' up and down! I didn't get right to the top of Teide as the weather was horrendous - it was a whiteout and very dangerous with snow and ice, you shouldn't have that problem for the race.

tenerife is a trail running paradise, the Anaga mountains and Masca gorge are also worth doing. 

As far as the route goes, well - it's 17.5 miles up, then 17.5 miles down! The first 10 miles or-so is through forests, and trails with a bit of road at the start. Then you hit Teide and it gets more barren and volcanic... There's nothing super-steep or technical , it's more of a long, long climb/descent. Your quads will be screaming by the end!

I hiked most of it and it took around 15 hours, but I wasn't pushing the pace and stopping a lot for photos. You go up to 14,000' which if you're not used to altitude will start hurting at around 8,000'

it's fun - though I wouldn't pay to race it, (and I didn't) for around half the price of the 0-4-0 I got a weeks holiday, with car hire, flights, hotel etc... Depends on your motivation for doing an trail like this...

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

This was my GPS track, a beautiful elevation profile

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/648044693

Looks like it only took 14 hours and was a mere 12,000' of ascent... Easy, peasy

And some photos to give you an idea of what it's like!

The top of the initial climb through the forests to about 8,000' - above cloud level

/members/images/488343/Gallery/DSC_0177.JPG

That's Teide and where you're heading, (about 5 miles and 4,000' to go)

/members/images/488343/Gallery/IMG_20141208_185202.JPG

Near the summit - maybe not this bad on race day

/members/images/488343/Gallery/DSC_0197.JPG

Turning back 400m from the summit

/members/images/488343/Gallery/IMG_20141208_185350.JPG

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    Hi Geem, I've been to Tenerife on holiday & to Tiede twice now . The views I had last May were beautiful and clear like your pics . The trail through the forest was just calling to me to run on it so that's why this race appeals to me . Heat I can cope with , I was interested to know about the altitude so thank you for the info on that .