Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Matt3 wrote (see)
    It appears I ran a short leg of the northern relays today despite being in the Trafford centre 30 miles away at the time?

Matt, that's something to do with your basic speed. It's about 'light' and relativity.

Einstein had something on it.

🙂

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Andrew G wrote (see)

Bus - Are you sure it wasn't a dog?

Quality Andrew if a bit near the knuckle!

Tried the new Maidenhead parkrun today. Just over 19 good enough for 4th and only a few seconds of the winner (sorry 1st placed runner!). Many on here are also local to it I think so could probably go and win it whenever you feel like it. Odd mixture of terrains; mostly very fast tarmac but with a loose stony bit and the odd muddy stretch. I'd be interested in others' views when they've tried it. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Andrew G wrote (see)

I'm not going to cast aspersions on the lady drivers of Wycombe Mr G, but it's a possibility image

Might try Maidenhead sometime - how does it compare to the Rye Pete?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Both incidents of 'fail to stop' that I've witnessed were women drivers.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Nice run Pete, I will give M'head a shot soon. Is it a single loop? Would be nice not to have to lap back markers. 

and Ric leads us nicely on to a slag off women drivers tangent!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Although for balance. both the drivers who knocked me off my bike and the one who deliberately drove over it while I was still on it were men!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    My missus has crashed every car she's ever owned. I think it's 5. She put our 11 month old car into a 2 month old Range Rover just over a week ago. I wish my running was as consistent as her driving.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Andrew G wrote (see)

Andrew G wrote (see)

I will give M'head a shot soon. Is it a single loop? Would be nice not to have to lap back markers. 

Its two and a bit laps so you'd have to be really speedy to be troubled much by back markers. I wasn't!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Matt, that's some driving.

However, I know a women who despite having driven thousands of miles in over 30 years of motoring has never had as much as a bump.

She's had dozens of near misses and seen loads of accidents to the cars near her though.

🙂

• PeteM wrote (see)
    Tried the new Maidenhead parkrun today. Just over 19 good enough for 4th and only a few seconds of the winner (sorry 1st placed runner!).

I noticed your result when I quickly scanned them yesterday.  303 runners for the inaugural and 174 yesterday. Wycombe, by contrast, was 132 for the first and 82 for the second and was close to a year before it exceed 132 again: now ticking along at about 260 for 3 of the last 4 weeks. Shouldn't be surprised that you can start a new parkrun close to an existing one and new numbers shoot up.

Maidenhead parkrun is under 10 miles from my house so wondered about public transport there and run back for a nice outing: good route back. buses are awful: best part of an hour, and costs £6 as far as I can tell.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

What about the train Philip? Its very close to Maidenhead station.

• PeteM wrote (see)

What about the train Philip? Its very close to Maidenhead station.

Train is worse. If I pay £20 I can leave Wycombe at 6:50, into London, across London and out to Maidenhead by 8:30.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Don't worry Philip,  I'll sort you out with a nice express bus when the Coachway opensimage

rible run this morning-15miles of wind and rain, all on roadand felt uncomfortable the whole way round...Cant have been nice for Johnas at Paddock Wood

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Actually, the forecast heavy rain managed to stay away. At times the sun even shone through the light rain.

But the wind was considerable for the last 3 miles and straight in the face too. Target was to run 5.45 pace. Finished 13th in 1.15.19 so 5.44 pace image 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey Johnas - is that a new PB? What a comeback - fantastic time!!!! Very nicely done!

Sub 75 without the wind probably too! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Well done Johnas, although because you don't post too much, no one ever knows if you're injured, training excellently, or what image

Am sure you've gone sub 1hr 15 at least once, so second best ever time? And closer to your best than I got at Reading!

How's the course compared to some of our other local favourites?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Matt - no disrespect, but should she be allowed anywhere near a car? Sounds a little dangerous!

Phil, I have to chuckle at even the idea of making those sort of efforts to do a parkrun. Even the one at the bottom of my garden feels like too much effort to stroll to!

My sunday run was a 3miler image

All planned though, as a recovery to yesterday's quality long.

Worked quite well really, with the lost hour in the evening, combined with some hectic footy travelling.

Tried the not eating before a run for the first time ever. Was ok for a 3miler, but probably wouldn't try for any sensible distance.

Put in my request to do a/some races...so no doubt Bus/Phil i'll see if you fancy doing the same one(s) when confirmed.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Yes youre right SG - 74.45 is PB so pleased to be 30 secs or so away. It's exactly where i hoped to be 4 weeks before London. And most on here know my training through either Strava or Garmin!

Paddock Wood is a bit marmite. At least for those from my club. Its a local race so turn out from the Harriers is always good. But the Harriers love their off road, muddy, hilly stuff and PW couldn't be anymore opposite. Flat tarmac country lanes with nothing to see except a few Oasthouses and lots of hedgerows. It's perfect for VMLM though in both terrain and timing

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

similarish to Wokingham? Maybe without the bumps?

My next half that I'm after a time at, I'd like a nice consistent course. Reading is one a lot find fast, but I'd prefer something the splits stay pretty similar. Not 20secs down as early as mile 3.

ps stick it up on here, just for my benefit. Although actually, if it's runs like 30mins threshold at mid 5s maybe best not, so I don't feel unworthy image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

It has an incline early on and a few hump back rail bridges, but not far off Wokingham for total heught gain.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Johnas, very fine running indeed, particularly in the conditions of the day, must be worth well under 75. Really good to see you back to some sharpness. But you must tell us in every race report whether it was a bearded or regardless effort, so that we know whether the beard is the source of your Samson-like power.

Run this afternoon in the most ludicrous wind I have ever run in. It was so strong, it was almost like an average day training in Scotland for Lit.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I think it was Chingo years ago who said wind was the worst weather to run in.

At the time I'd have probably gone more with heat/humidity, but I'd have to agree on the wind now.

• Just for info Chingo is now married and still struggling with injury !!
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

If ever I was looking for a reason to never race london, chingo's is it.

nice work johnas.  Sounds like you are getting back to where you were before getting injured doing marathons......hold on a minute this could be another reason never to race a marathon image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Chingo's issues had nothing to do with London. He started wearing a bandana whilst running, within a couple of days was injured. Coincidence? No chance.

• Thought I'd just post before I drop off for the night, Jonas- good effort there in the conditions today. Agreed the wind is an absolute ball ache, can't stand it!

So into the southern's at MK today. So apart from holding onto gazebos I managed to get a long leg done! It's 7664m for a long leg which takes in two loops if the woods on Tarmac trails then a long last bit round the side of the track and in. Started into the wind and felt awful, especially Richard Goodman who flew past. (It was Thompson and Overall last year)..so along the back you get some respite and then you swing back round to start lap 2. Staggered back in 25.51..initially pleased to be under 26 and now happier after comparing other times. Herne hill were 10th, noticed Scott E in the next team.

But god the wind was a bugger. If it's that windy at Sutton park I may cryimage
  • Nice run SC! Sorry I did not see you! Was fortunate to see lots of other famous faces though, saw some of the big boys (John Beattie and co)

Samir haddad the standout but he avoided me image get a haircut mate and decent long leg

Short leg for me 16:43 official time (5:22 miling for smudge over 5km)- pleasedish with current training etc, felt good to be out there though that's the main thing

Top run Johnas btw..
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Well run Johnas, things coming together nice leg for London.

Congrats to simon and Scott at the southerns. Solid running.

Tried the treadmill yesterday, 40 mins easy and my foot felt ok so pushed on and ran exactly 20k in 1.14.50. 6.01 min ave. bit of a shit or bust run before Salford. Hopefully that's the last of it.

Same time every year I end up feel like I'm missing out on the marathons. Might have a bash later this year or certainly next year.
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Dachs - I can confirm it was Beard Assisted.

SG - Agree with Bus. I'd say the profile is pretty much bang on to Wokingham. And being a bit later in the year, weather is usually considerably better than it was yesterday.

Dean - can't blame marathons for the last injury so you can't use that as an excuse!

Top racing Simon and good to see you back being competitive Scott.

Maybe do some x-training Matt??

• Cheers Jonas - bet you're not as beardy as my and Philpub's mate at Kent, Stu Beany. His is getting out of hand. He had a headband on too yesterday so Scott may have seen him!

Scott - good time in those conditions. Saw Wall-Clarke in the Soton team, beat my time by over a minute yesterday, but I beat him at the Poole runners winter series 5k in December..presume he was coming back from injury?

Matt - good to do a mara just to tick it off. Did that with London in 2004. Berlin this year is an excuse for a holiday image