Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

Comments

• Angela l Ding dong well done today. You got lucky with weather this morning it's awful up here this afternoon.

Did half hour on TM at gym. Legs felt ok while running but little sore from yesterday.Looking forward to some easy miles.

• Yeah, it could have been much worse Martin.  Didn't even notice it was windy until the last 3 miles, and that section is always a bit windy anyway.  Unfortunately the tall men were either wise to my drafting, or dropping pace too much for me to draft in the final miles image 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, Angela image. Over on Minni's thread 1:36 was the entry ticket to a sub 3:30 marathon. Nice work image

Another strong run, Tim. Awesome when 8:10 becomes easy pace image

Ran 6 miles at 6am (in fact 5am due to the stupid clock change image ). It was pitch black and rather wet but strangely warm (about 10 degrees) and then did a 4hr Krav Maga seminar (Israeli self defence). Cor, 'twas hard work. But deffo worth doing despite the bruisesimage
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Well done Tim on the parkrun PB, that's a brilliant time (and 17 secs faster than my PB!). I really think you can go a lot faster than 3:30 at Paris in the form you are in right now, but understand that you won't want to take too many risks.

Congrats too to Angela, great HM time and shows that you are in great form too.

I did a parkrun yesterday and struggled with the pace in the last 2 miles as was running solo. Bit disappointed with the time (20:15) as had hoped to dip under 20 again. But was at least 1st female and broke my age category course record (it's a fairly new parkrun!) so not all bad. 20 today in the wind and cold, averaging 8mm pace. Had to start early as needed to drop littlest koala at his grandparents in Kent this afternoon. Came over very hungry and light headed a bit earlier but feel better now after 2 bananas, one choc milkshake, 4 Jaffa cakes and one egg pitta with wasabi paste + Greek yoghurt (we had no mayo!).
  • Angela I wrote (see)

Woop wooop pb!  Conditions nowhere near as bad as forecast, although it was a bit windy toward the end.  The race has grown so much that I got really bunched in at the start.

anyhoo 1:36:11- really pleased with that image 

And there she is!! Angela very well done considering your build up this week and also the weather. Well I am assuming you had the same weather as us? Brilliant running.

Chicksta Well done on your early (v.early with the clock changes) run and also what sounded like a very intensively energetic Krav Maga!! 

Slowkoala Wasabi Paste? Sounds lush. Is it bad for you? Or acceptable. As I want some. Where did you get it from? Well done on your 20 today, in rubbish conditions, nice pacing. And sounds like it was still an excellent parkrun yesterday in spite of your understandable high expectations. Well done. 

•  

Week Fifteen (25M) w/c 30 Mar
    Mon Rest
    Tue 1M jog, then 3M brisk, then 1M jog 
    Wed 45 mins slow 

Thu 1-2 miles easy warm-up then 3 x 3 mins fast with 3 mins jog, then 10 mins 10k pace, 3 mins jog, then 2 x 45 seconds hard with equal jog. 1-mile jog down.
    Fri Rest/swim
    Sat 9M steady plus 2 x strides
    Sun BIKE 40 mins easy to include 6 x 30 secs hard with 90 secs recovery.

Wow, week 15 already. Cannot believe it has come around so quickly. I am so looking forward to tomorrow session. image  Tapering is well an truly here. 

• And here, due to popular demand by some is the original pre injury week 15. 

Week Fifteen (31M) w/c 30 Mar

Mon Rest

Tue 6M of 1M jog, then 9 x 400m (or 90 secs) fast, with 200m (or 2-min) jog recoveries,  then 1M jog

Wed 5M (45 mins) slow  

Thu 1M jog, then 3M (22 mins) brisk, then 1M jog  

Fri Rest  Sat 3M (27 mins) easy  

Sun 9M steady

• Right now, I do feel on top of the world (looking down on creation image).  Sub 20 parkrun was always a goal for me but one I thought would be later in the year. And to go sub 20 by nearly 30 seconds, just unreal. Frimley 20 and the long run 2 weeks ago, are also run's which I am reviewing daily to remind myself and anchor the belief that this is going to happen, sub 3-30 is and will be achievable. That said maranoia and taper madness struck earlier when I got flashbacks of all my failed marathons before, in all their glory, and I convinced myself that I was suffering from an acute form muscle wastage. Which just seemed to be havent run for an hour or two itus.  I cant wait for the start line. image

• Great runs girls, with special mention to Angela for a lovely PB.

I went to the Aquatics Centre for an AJ - knew the competition pool was in use for a schools event, but the website said the training pool was 2m deep - except that it was only 1.2, capable of having the floor lowered to achieve 2m I was informed, but this never happens for the public.

Managed a hybrid session of some weirdness and went home in squally winds & driving rain. Seemed to sort the legs out well though. Did quite a few glute manoeuvres from the RIF REV boys and loads of cooking this pm, also booked diamond league / annivresary games tickets for July.

Super I had an attack of negative rehashing when the VMLM mag hit the hall floor. Good to laugh and relegate history to the that was then bin.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Superman - you WILL run sub 3:30, stop stressing and believe! I did my first parkrun a month after running 3:29 at London and the time was about 21:30. And you've just run 2 mins quicker!!!

Wasabi paste is lovely, I got it from Ocado (along with loads of other sushi making ingredients). Discovered that sushi is a bit hard to make but wasabi is good with everything. I think you can get it from all supermarkets.
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

first time I had wasabi, I thought it was Guacamole and got quite a shock!

• Delighted to read about some very impressive runs this weekend.  Tim I know I said it the other day but deserves repeating, to go sub 20 by that margin super impressive.

Well done too to Angela for PBing at Colchester as well.

Well done everyone else on some very decent long runs.

On a personal note had a shocker of a long run but wasnt massively surprised, just had far too much on with work then an all day wedding on Friday so kind of felt tired even before I started.  Actually felt brill for 10 miles despite the weather. Once past about 12 though it was as if a switch went off and the legs packed in, got to 16.5 in the end but just couldnt drag more out and didnt want to risk injury as ITB was flaring which was prob a sign of fatigue. Not gonna beat myself up too much as was pleased I still went out and feel I can ave another go next week at a 20 miler before taper time.  

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Great confidence Tim, not sure you should think of all those marathons as failed though, just practice perhaps?

Great time Angela image

My run wasn't great either, I wanted to do Tim's 3x7 but it was so windy and my planned route is a bit of a wind tunnel I didn't think it would be helpful so I just did my best. As usual on a Saturday I felt like I should wait till Sunday but I wanted a day out with Mrs P and today's weather forecast was poor. I managed 21 and felt pretty crap afterwards, then looked in my diary and saw it should have been 22!

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Happy Monday everyone image

Wow Tim - that was a storming parkrun - fantastic also that you ran it without a watch and just trusted your pace. You must have been stoked when the result came through image

Angela - so pleased for you and your new PB - brilliant! As chick says, definitely in the sub 3.30 territory now image

This deserves bold caps I LOVE THE CRANLEIGH 21!!!! I think I've done it about 6 or 7 times now, and it never disappoints. It's brilliant for a good pacing strategy, and testing enough with lots of undulations and a couple of nasty steep bits that make your legs burn!

The forecast was for wind and rain. The rain came, but the wind was nowhere near as bad as I had feared - the race starts early (9am - just what you need when the clocks have gone forward image) and the worst of the wind came later in the day. So it was breezy but nothing too bad, and only really 2 or 3 miles where it was into our faces.

As we lined up at the start the race announcer told us to watch out for the donkey that was to be part of the town's Palm Sunday procession....and then we were off.  The race has to loops - a 9 mile and then a 6 mile which you do twice.  The 9 mile loop is a series of undulations, nothing too steep apart from one bit just after the 7 mile mark.  My plan was to take this section nice and easy, around 8.15 pace.  I ended up a bit quicker - splits were 8.09, 8.16, 8.04, 7.58, 7.06, 7.50, 8.04, 8.16, 7.56 - but I was feeling really relaxed so just went with it.

The last mile in that lap comes through the town centre and past the church - no sign of the donkey though....

And so onto the next section.  This lap is pretty flat apart from one leg sapping hill in the last mile.  My plan here was to pick up the pace but keep it controlled - had aimed for 8's but again they were a bit quick - 7.43, 7.49, 7.54, 7.48, 7.43, 8.02.  As I came up the hill at the end and down the other side I was wondering if I'd be able to pick up the pace again - I wanted to do the last 6 at marathon pace.  As I hit the 15 mile marker I just went for it.

And now I was flying - my legs were sore but I felt fantastic, and was overtaking a lot of people now which is a great feeling and made me feel I was going even quicker.  I didn't look at my garmin to check the pace until the next mile marker and I was really chuffed to see 7.19. OK, this feels good, manageable and I think I can hold this....the next 3 miles were into the wind, but I kept up the effort and those times were 7.29, 7.24, 7.29.  Then we turned the corner out of the wind for the last 2 miles.  Mile 20 was 7.12, and then into the final mile and that hill again at the end.  As I started the climb I had just caught and passed another runner - he then kept with me and we ground it out side by side, pushing all the way.  Up to the top and down the other side and then to the finish line (where he let me win!).  Final mile was 7.13, which I was amazed with.  Time on my watch was 2.43.58 (actual race time will probably be just over 2.44 as it took me a few seconds to cross the start line), and that is over a minute quicker than last year, so I am really really pleased with that.  Especially as I had the 20 mile race just last weekend.  Bring on London image

• Reikirabbit Sounds like there wasn't much difference between the inside of the aquatic centre and the outside with yesterdays weather. Thanks for the reminder of the anniversary games, an excellent event!

Slowkoala I remember when my HM PB was 1.50. I never thought I would get to 1.45, let alone 1.34. Every time I lined up I convinced myself I would not be able to run sub 8's. Yet yesterday I went out and pretty much did this on a training run. You are right its all about belief.

Christian Very wise to have curtailed the run, some days it is just not to be and you have got time on your side next week. And you haven't risked injury by trying to bash out the rest of the run on potentially tired legs when it could have been more chance of flaring up old niggle.

Puffsta I reckon though you had some nice food though yesterday? image

Freemers This deserves bold caps

BRILLIANT RUNNING - WELL DONE - WOO HOO WOO HOO image

That is excellent run in yesterdays conditions, no wonder you are so pleased and so you should be. I love Cranleigh too, such a nice event and also the laps, and its undulating to challenge, especially that sapping hill near the end of the lap and finish. As you say Bring on London!!

Angela Are you still enjoying and basking in the post peeeebeee achievements. Thought it deserved another well done.

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Freemers, really enjoyed reading that report, it almost made up for having to get up what feels like an hour early this morning. A really strong run, especially in those last 2 miles. I don't think that guy just let you go first, reckon he was outsprinted! Are you doing another 20 next weekend before the taper?
  • Morning!

Soups, massive well done on the parkrun PB.  Big high 5 to Angela as well.  Great stuff.

My half at Yeovil yesterday was v wet and windy and far hillier than I was led to believe.  I finished in 1:50 which is far off my best.  I felt pretty tired the whole way round and the only positive thing I can take away from it is that I managed to give my naughty chimp voice a good talking too when I thought he was going to get the better of me from mile 6 onwards.

Thank god London is still a month away and my ultra 2.  Still time to get back in the game!

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Slowkoala - yes, one more 20, but there will be no MP in it - just a nice slow pace.

3 miles recovery run this morning. My quads are feeling it a bit but hopefully that's loosened things up.

• Puffsta the thinking that there is no failure only learning applies to your 21 also.

Freemers you are ready, what a run.

Ruffles that practice and prevailing over the chimp is always useful.

No running for me today again, am dong a VO2 max test, but on a bike, followed by a Speedflex class.
  • Thank's y'all.... I had a moan at my hubby last night as I didn't think he showed enough appreciation of my pb... he said its hard when every b***dy race I do is a pb... which made me realise of the 4 races I've done this year, all were pbs image  Even the two 20s which were training runs! image  Hopefully this augurs well for the next race.  London!!

Freemers, that's a really fab run at Cranleigh!  You must be full of confidence for VMLM.  My next long runs is 20, attempting the second half at MP - that could go either way really.  Not sure if the half was enough to make my legs too tired to do it next week or not.  If it is awful, please remind me of the other 20 milers I've done!

Ruffles, sorry your half was so tough.  wet + windy + hilly- no wonder there were inner gorrillas x (oh, wait, its a chimp... sorreee)

Superman, like the others say, your previous attempts are experience.  I'm trying to come up with a meme at the moment of something that;s been running around my head for the past few days 'The only thing holding you back is your self-limiting beliefs' - so many people said to me variations of 'i could never run your time - I'm just not fit enough' - I did my first half marathon in 2hr 15 mins.  The difference between 2:15 and 1:36 involves a bit of training, but ultimately belief that it was possible is what got my legs moving yesterday.  You need to really believe in yourself that sub 3:30 is yours for the taking.  We all believe it, but you need to have complete faith on the day, as there are going to be times during the run where you may doubt it, and that's where it can all fall apart if you don't have faith (I hope my ramblings make some sense).

• Thanks Angela Everything you and SK said makes perfect sense. I have got to have a word with the chimp and HTFU image

Reikirabbit What do you do for the VO2 max test? Sounds intriguing....

Ruffles Plenty of time to get back in the game and a positive to have given your chimp a good talking too!

• Harden the F*** up!  I think Seren or Minni once advised me to try it. image

• Hi Tim

A huge congratulations on the PB – sub 20 is such a great milestone to achieve! I’ve no doubt that you are in great shape for the big day and you will nail it.

Been following the thread in the background over the past few weeks and picking up some really useful tips and pointers, especially having been benched myself for weeks 9 to 11 in the plan.

It’s been a right old slog to get anywhere near ready for the start line at Brighton, but 15m at Cranleigh yesterday gives a small glimmer of hope ofr at least having a stab getting round in a reasonable time.

Only positive thoughts for the next week!

How many 20m plus did you manage to get in the programme in the end, and what’s the plan for this week/next week?

BK

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

My foot could do with a bit of hardening too!

• Freemers Superb write up of Cranleigh 21.

I was down the road at the Spitfire 20. The weather wasn't as bad as forecast but it was still atrocious!!! Cold, wet and windy. Not so bad with the wind behind you but the full facial attack was fairly unpleasant. Managed 2:40:48 so avg 8.05 mm. Not sure I will be able to hold 8mm for 26 miles.

Didn't manage to meet up with Malcs or Shady Ady as everyone stayed huddled in their cars until the start and made a quick getaway at the end.

Nice recovery run this morning. Intend to enjoy the Taper phase.

Happy Easter running all. xx

• Great parkrun result Superman. That makes me want to have a bash at parkrun in taper week see where I am.

I'm hanging on in there with training. Had a shocker of a 22 miler on Saturday, all my own fault. To fast, lack of water and standing in a queue to buy some water resulting in seizing up after 11 miles....anyway got there and now i've got the 22 miles in the bank. Seriously dehyrated when i got home, weighed myslef and was 4kg lighter than normal.. Will plan better for this weekends final 20 miler. If anything it has been a good reminder how important taking on water during the race is for me (im a real sweater!)

• Fairyclogs you should be fine for 8s if you managed to get so close over much more difficult terrain, and in much worse conditions.

Super this was a bike test. You put a mask on & get on a bike. Then every minute [I think it was] for 15 minutes they put an extra weight on until it gets impossible to hold cadence at 70 RPM.

Once you go below 70 it's over, well this is how mine was conducted.

As my cycling is almost all conducted at zero resistance [my bike's zero is still a little heavy], I am not adapted to resistance, still I scored 42.5 which is not that bad.

Now I want a treaddie one!

Another hilarious test result suggested that I have gained 1.5 kilos of muscle since January, but I think the body composition ones can be rather spurious as I a more or less a marshmallow.
  • BK CanterGood to hear you are at least in some sort of shape for Brighton, hope for you its the speedy shape. I have done 3 20+'s this campaign. All have gone brilliantly which is excellent. I have copied below the last 2 weeks of the programme for you. Good luck buddy, hope it all goes well. Whats your goal for Brighton now after your training was interrupted? 

Week Fifteen (25M) w/c 30 Mar
    Mon Rest
    Tue 1M jog, then 3M brisk, then 1M jog 
    Wed 45 mins slow 

Thu 1-2 miles easy warm-up then 3 x 3 mins fast with 3 mins jog, then 10 mins 10k pace, 3 mins jog, then 2 x 45 seconds hard with equal jog. 1-mile jog down.
    Fri Rest/swim
    Sat 9M steady plus 2 x strides
    Sun BIKE 40 mins easy to include 6 x 30 secs hard with 90 secs recovery.

Week Sixteen (39M inc race) w/c 6 Apr
    Mon 4 M easy or 35 mins easy bike or swim. Or rest if feeling tired.
    Tue 4 of 1M jog, then 1 mile MP, 1 mile brisk, 1mile MP then 3 x strides.

Wed Rest
    Thu 3M easy plus 2 x strides
    Fri Rest 
    Sat 2M (or 20 mins) easy 
    Sun The race

• Fairyclogs Well done on your running yesterday, impressive pacing given the weather. I would echo other comments, that was a great run which must hold you in great stead. Shame you didnt get to see the others, understandable given the weather. What does tapering hold for you, whats the plan? 

PWC If its worth doing a run wrong, its worth doing it in training and not the real thing. Doubt you will have to queue up to buy any water along the marathon road come race day image And as you say that is 22 miles in the bank. You must feel better for that? I would agree with your better planning for this weekends 20 miler. 

Reikirabbit I love the write up of the VO2 test, it sounds brillo. Are people watching you whilst you do it? Can you just rock up and do it? And does it cost? And can you do a treaddie one there? Oh I want to do one. And the body composition one, wonder if its like the one i did at Asics. And would you be pink or white? image