RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S- expect you'll do 29 then. You make ultras sound easy. 

AA- I've never had a dope test in Boston (no where else either!)so you'll be ok. Nice 22 after your HM. A bit more confident now? I can still feel the excitement of the run up to Boston. Another set of bright run shoes too 

Free- shoes look good enough to eat. Good plan for Sundays 20. I know you're disciplined enough to stick with it.

DD- you should be sharing the wealth of experience you have a bit more. Welcome back to sunny England 

Chick - how do follow stupid March.....foolish April. Run doubles every day? Good going. 

Barry- fast splits for that 10. Have you decided to race your HM. It will be hard for you not to

YKW personal worst today but I was pacing my mate who pb'd by 11 seconds so quite pleased with that. Felt odd jogging along whilst those around were running eye balls out. Hope the rain and wind I had to put up with lays off tomorrow

good running and racing this weekend all 

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old, Good luck with the HM tomorrow, hopefully the run this morning gave you the relevant fell good feeling image

Hi freemers, That is a busy old back end of the week, good luck with the 21 on Sunday. I feel a bit of a fraud nowadays not going over 16 for a LR... my daughter would kill you for those trainers, they are her school colours. Just don't ask me her school colours image

Hi Chick, yes they do keep slightly messing with the Kinvaras. It has never really caused me many problems thankfully. Nothing worse than the weather playing tricks on you, I have sometimes complained quite openly and loudly remonstrating against the wind whilst running over Braid Hills Road..image

Hi o4s, I think you show us up with the miles you knock out, enjoy whatever distance you choose today..

Hi Barry, Nice running, still not tempted of a little bash at the HM?

Hi DD, I guess you will trade the cold for the roads and trails?

Hi AA, Good news on the 22 and fingers crossed the steroids do the job quickly!

Working this weekend, but managed to get out for 10 miles during the grace period of the upgrades image 10 miles at average 7:30mm bit up and down depending whether I had a headwind or tailwind!

Just wondering if my VLM details will be delivered today, everyone else seems to have received them except me ....

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Glad to find you more positive, AA. The Boston excitement is building. I almost wish I was doing it again image

Got 16 in this morning. Bright and early to avoid the worst of the storm. Next week is going to be a nightmare. 60 mph wind and rain forecast every bloody day image

No foolish April for me, 2old image I'm going to reduce mileage and throw some slightly faster work in provided my heart plays ball. We'll see. Nice work at parkrun with your mate image

Hope your postie didn't steal your VLM pack, Nellimage
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA- me too about Boston....after last years crisis I feel I have unfinished business there but I'm not sure I fancy Heartbreak Hill again.The steroids will do the trick 

Chick- Hope all will be in order for your speedy stuff in April 

Nell- nice average in that wind .Im all set for tomorrow. Maybe your postman wants your place image

My YKW still resulted in me coming 2nd for my age and I'd have been 1st if my pal had kept  to the planned target. Looks like the weather kept the fast ones in bed. 

• AA - well done on the 22, hopefully the drugs will work.

Freemers - Nice quick stuff, the weather looks "testing" tomorrow.

2old - Impressive, not even trying and coming 2nd, good luck for tomorrow, think the wind is less harsh up north.

Plan for tomorrow, is one hour warm up and then attempt 13.1 at MP. 

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Ferocious winds, torrential rain and monstrous mud - just an average event I suppose image

Got blown over twice, once on the Roaches and once on Shutlingsloe, we both slipped and fell in the mud (along with most of the other participants) and on reaching the 15 mile checkpoint declined the offer of the 7 mile 'Cheshire Loop' and carried on to finish the 22 mile course. Plenty of steep climbs but not really a running route given the conditions. Still, 125 miles in the last week and a good time in the pub tonight - forecast looking a bit grim for tomorrow so good luck all you racers.

AA: don't overdo it now!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-you'll have experienced being blasted off the fylde coast on a bad day ...it's pretty much the same along the Mersey for the last 4 miles of the race tomorrow I think.  Looks like a challenging 20 for you tomorrow . 

O4S- amazing stuff again. I'd probably have a full English breakfast after a long lie in tomorrow if I were you 

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Fortunately for my figure 2Old, you are not me! What is this lie-in you speak of? I have plans for tomorrow, of which BA is currently blissfully unaware image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S-BA knows exactly what you have in store for him I'm sure image Lie ins are the why reason brunch was invented.....your students would have told you all about it.image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Liverpool HM completed and pretty happy here. Rained continuously but fortunately the wind wasn't too bad. Official time 1.28.27, 3rd in my age group and fwiw 223rd overall. Plan was to go for 1.29xx so under that and faster than last year's time. Splits- 6.45,6.59,6.34,6.41,6.40,6.35,6.53,6.40,6.45,6.48,6.44,6.46,6.50,0.47.  When I reached the 9th mile I knew sub 90 was in the bag if I didn't blow up so aimed to run the last 4 around 6.48 which I succeeded in doing. Hope I've left enough to get next week done ....the last big one before taper. 

• Yeovil ½ M for me in 1-48-01 which is about what i expected after 5 weeks of running in circles, torrential rain, gales and hills didnt help, finished 323/1407 so probably not as bad as I thought was also 4/17 of runners from my club so the bad run thought rattling around my head is probably not quite right.  Did 5 miles before but ditched the two after, soaked! Must now get some 20 milers in, 5 weeks to marathon. Today was one of those days when you just know from the first step that its not going to happen!

2Old: well done great result.

O4S: I feel that BA may well expect something fairly demanding today, you have him well trained.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

DD-very well done. That sounds very hard ;just what an old warrior needs to prove how tough he isimage The 20s will be easy after all those hamster runs . I didn't do the extra few miles planned  before my HM preferring to stay in the baggage bus and stay warm instead. 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Excellent running, O4S, 2 old and DD image. image

Hope BA survived your weekend plans, O4S image

Just back from a 4hr Krav Maga seminar. That's a self defence technique from the Israeli army. Hard work although it's mostly about de-escalation and how to get out of a potentially dangerous situation. I've learned a lot but I'm also quite bruised now.

In order to keep up with my March challenge I got up at 6am for a wet 6 miler before the course image
  • Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Chick/2old, Hmm, my postie doesn't look like a runner. But you never know..image

Hi Chick, Nice running for the weekend, and an early Sunday run before the course. That is dedicated!

Hi o4s, 125 miles in a week? Here was me thinking I had doen well getting in 60!image

Hi 2old, Well done on the HM today, gives you a positive feeling going into the taper?

Hi DD, Well done on the HM, that doesn't sound a very enjoyable experience. But I suppose you were glad not to be running in circles?image

Working again today, but again there was a 2 hour grace period which gave me the opportunity for a 16 mile run. Didn't really feel great, my own fault just got 5.5 hours sleep last night. But once I got started things went ok and ended up running the 16 miles with average 7:21mm. Out and back, which I don't regularly do, Torq rhubarb and custard flavour today. Different, will have to try that one again...

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Nell: quality v quantity! In any case some of mine were walking image

2Old: nice HM - where was it?

DD: conditions sound similar to those up here today, well done for running in a straight line image

Chick: I know what you are going through - we stupidly signed up to every day this year - no rest days image

BA was double bluffed by his scheming wife today. He assumed I had another epic planned so when we woke to howling wind and torrential rain he was a trifle grumpy. Having strung him along I then told him I would let him off, made him a proper coffee - and slipped the price of the new glass splash backs for the kitchen casually into the conversation image  He didn't bat an eyelid, although I have a sneaking suspicion he switches off his hearing aid when he needs some peace and quiet............

• Love the RASPBERRY shoes Freemers. Those were some impressive 1200s earlier this week! Flying! I didn't even notice the course change until you pointed it out. Nothing like an out and back section at 19M. And a nice later start so it can get even warmer for those later miles.

Smashed that 1:30 target 2old, well done! Just shows how you've improved over the last couple of years. I'd take a few easy days, races are all speedwork too and a raced HM takes a lot out of you. Today has shown you're in top form! Well done helping to pace your friend to a new PB yesterday too, always a nice feeling image

10M at marathon pace is always a tough run Nell. You're on for a fast London, roll on the taper! Any London magazine yet?

Nice progressive running on that 10M Barry. Don't think you need to worry about securing that GFA, it's in the bag image

Well done on the HM today DD, and welcome back on dry land! Or maybe not dry land by the sound of the weather....

Have the steroids kicked in yet AA? For the coughing, not the facial hair.

It's nice to get the long run done on a Saturday Chick! You're doing great with the recovery. I have a feeling April will be even better image

Triple figure mileage O4S!! Well done battling the elements yesterday. Nice double bluffing today, maybe the new splash backs were nothing compared to the though of another ultra?!

Penultimate long run today after a garmin-free parkrun yesterday, was pleased to still sneak under 20 minutes although I think my pacing was a bit off as a couple of runners went gliding past on my last lap and I couldn't hang on. Ah well, ignorance is blissimage
  • 2old - Very nice HM, you must be very happy, glad the wind wasn't too bad for you.image

DD - That's a very good effort today in shocking conditions.

O4S - The power of the female mind.

Nell - Tasty 16.

Chick- Remind me not to mess with you.

Carrot - Another good weekend of running for you.

White Horse HM today and pretty much went to plan. 7.5 miles before at 7:44 avg wet and windy then HM  at MP avg 7:14 very windy and wet at the end .  Splits  7:13, 7:19,7:01,7:03,7:03, 7:09, 7:28, 7:40(f*** this is windy), 7:24, 7:41(windy again going backwards), 7:21,7:24, 6:34,5:45(last bit).  I made the comment to other runners at least it was n't raining then at 10 miles it battered it down, hence the quick last mile or so I was soaking and cold.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Nice HMs 2old, Barry and DD image

O4S - very sneaky image

AA - are you going to be all muscle bound when I see you at VLM??!!!

Carrot - nice parkrunning.

Chick - Blimey - Israeli martial arts sounds interesting!

Nell - well done on getting the 16 miles done.

Cranleigh 21 yesterday went really well, overall time 2.43.58 which was over a minute quicker than last year.  My pacing strategy worked, although the first two blocks were a little quicker than planned, but the last 6 miles at MP were great - I just went for it and felt like I was flying. Overtook loads of runners and had a storming finish with the last two miles 7.12 and 7.13.  That last mile has a steep hill as well, so it was great to finish so strongly. 

• Some great running in atrocious conditions gang!

2Old- awesome HM from you and very nice consistent pacing! Good work on parkrun pacing as well, I bet all those poor sods hanging on for dear life appreciated you happily jogging along next to them...image

DD- good effort, must be a relief to have a bit of a change of scenery!

Barry- very well done in those conditions... I think I would give up!

Free- you are flying indeed! Great job and very impressive MP!

O4S- nice mileage... superwoman.

Chick- I don't dare ask why you're practicing Israeli martial art... image. And always dedicated to the cause!image

Carrot- I love how you sneak in under 20min without a garmin... sigh... just a bit jealous!

What a day it was yesterday... running against the elements is what I call it. Had to get 20m done... felt like crying 15m into it. Blowing gales and rain coming from all sides. But then at least wasn't racing like some so shouldn't be complaining. Nice end to a 70m week.

It's Battersea 10k this Saturday (not sure why I'm doing this to myself) and Exmoor mara next weekend (more like it).

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

great confidence booster, Freemers image

And a great HM@ MP, Baz image.

I'm aching all over today - goes to show that there are loads of muscle groups that running never touches. Notably upper body, and especially the arms. I think I should incorporate regular push-ups into my routine image

Nice to bag another sub 20 parkrun, carrot.

As much as I enjoyed the class - it's too hardcore for me to do regularly. The injury risk is huge (we were a group of 18 and 2 were injured after Thurday's training sesh. One wrecked his knee, the other his foot). You have to sign a waiver form anyway, otherwise they won't let you participate. I'd much rather keep my old bones intact to pursue my love of running image

Having said that with muscle soreness, storm and rain today I don't feel much love for running at all. Only 2 more days though and March is over. I hope I can drag my sorry butt out after work for a 3 mile recovery hobble in the rain  image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

xpost Bro: hardcore mileage in a tornado image  10k image  enjoy image.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Carrot-that was a bit of an under the radar report of a sub 20 5k ,well done.I assume the LR went to plan?Yes very pleased with my HM  more because Im becoming more consistent.That was my 5th sub 90 HM and it should really have been 6th but I had to do a loo stop in last years Liverpool Rock And Roll HM.I've got 2 more LRs to goimageas will most here I guess

Barry-great running yesterday even inspite of the elements.Cotton wool out yet?Only a few days to your tri.Wish I was doing one too.I didnt feel cold at all yesterday until the moment I stopped running then exposure kicked in

O4S-it was Liverpool HM-my slowest split was running up Parliament Hill past the Anglican Cathedral...you must give me some tips on hill running.Lucky old BA...you are all heartimage

Bro-a real character building 20 yesterday for you. What will the weather conditions be for Comrades?Hope its not too hot as you seem well adapted to the cold.Cant beat eye balls out 10k running...nowhere to hide.Enjoy your Easter masochistic race schedule

Chick-Extreme exercise classes can be a real injury risk for us runners-lots of aerobic fitness make us feel able to do anything but generally we are without the flexibility and range of movements needed. My body aches today which suggests I pushed it a bit yesterday.I am sure you'll finish March madness in style....how will you reward yourself?An Autumn marathon?

Free-That strong finish yesterday says it all about how ready you are for VLM.What pace are you thinking of for 26th?

My achilles is grumbling a bit so Im glad I have a massage booked for tomorrow.Swam 2.1k this lunchtime.

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

VLM booklet waiting for me when we got home today, amidst all the bills and election leaflets.  I have forgotten my number already!

We finished the holiday with 10k yesterday, so BA got off lightly but not entirely.

Brol: proper ultra weather then! image

carrot &Freemers: you must both be feeling quietly confident for London.

Chick: I used to love doing Body Combat, but my legs couldn't cope with running after the kick boxing stuff - I do remember a few of the moves however in case anyone gets in my way. 

• O4S: I cant imagine that anyone would be brave enough to get in your way.

Chick: that sounds way to violent for me

Carrot: you really are running well these days, nice YKW

Brol: nice out there yesterday wasnt it!

2Old / Brol. Up Comrade runs tend to be a bit hot and sticky, Durban is quite a humid place even in winter and whilst Petermaritzberg is higher and cooler it will be warm by the time you get there. The first half of the Up Comrades is much harder than the second half, Fields hill is a long haul with a terrible road camber, either run in the rain gutter or go out to the centre reservation (its usually a lot quieter at the centre).  The second half is undulating until you get to Polly's which is a steep old haul with 50 miles in your legs, I personally have never managed to run all the way up it during a Comrades, dont forget to smile for the TV cameras at the top. From the top its 10K to the finish, job done. Make sure you have your nutrition plan nailed before you start, its the key along with sensible pacing to Comrades.

off for a trendy 5 now

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

/members/images/411726/Gallery/41ef7b5433ef151d901f87518d8c0587.jpg

That's a pic advertising the women's course - the text translates as "we kick higher than we need to" image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- now I've seen that I'm a bit worried which moves O4S might show us at the Green start 

DD- I see why you don't work in a marketing department- Comrades now struck off my bucket list . 

O4S- only a 10k yesterday.? How many miles was that last week? Makes my 54 look pathetic. ...reminder to self : stop slacking 

• Well that was a very successful weekend for the team. Looks like everyone's races went to plan even with the horrendous weather. image

10 x 800s done for me on Saturday with only a slight  calf tweak to complain about. 3 week til Boston today And finally my chest is improving. Yay image

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Tempo run at the club tonight, but due to a lack of leaders I had to drop down a group - which would have made it just a steady run for me. Luckily(??) the group was rather mixed so I had a good interval session dashing from one end of the group to the other. 6.5 miles done.

AA: good news on the chest. 3 weeks from now it will be one down and one to go.......

2Old: be afraid, be very afraid.............

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi o4s, you're good, but sounds as though BA is a good matchimage

Hi Carrot, Nice 5K indeed. No still no VLM mag. I think I have until 8th April until I get worried..

Hi Barry, Nice pacing on the HM. Very sensible. Give you a good feeling?

Hi Freemers, That sounds a very good 21 run. Sounds as though it went just as planned?

Hi Brol, That sounds a rough 20 miler, unfortunately there has been quite a few of them this winter!

Hi Chick, I am afraid as soon as the waiver surfaced I would be off! Lovely poster

Hi 2old, Hope that achilles is nothing to worry about?

Hi DD, After that sypnosis, the comrades is not top of my list.

Hi AA, Great news on the chest improvement.

6 miles easy to moderate this morning at 7:39mm, legs felt a bit heavy, wind didn't helpimage

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Take a look at the front cover of your VLM mag (if you have one) - my running club is featured on the cover. The wearer of the coveted vest (!) is a friend of mine, though somewhat faster. The club is Westbury Harriers , white vest with blue hoop.