Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• I'm sure that the gravel at M'head will pack down nicely over the next few weeks/months and the course will be faster. I like the lump in the course too. Certainly makes you work for it.

Good HMing Johnas, well done. Nice relaying SC and SE. Hope the foot is fully sorted Matt.

I saw Dachs smash Woodley. Everyone else was having an easier week after Reading.

SG - agree with the wind sentiment. I raced Hillingdon Du yesterday in the wind and the rain. Usual problem in that I run hot but cycle cold.

First 2mi run in sub 12 minutes, and a quick change on to the 10 lap bike. Except I did 11 laps. I knew I had miscounted but didn't want to risk a DQ. Another quick change then on to the final mile run. Of course there was no one to chase at this point and I started to slack off. When I finally saw a couple of people ahead I put in some effort, reeled them in and crossed the line with a 6:09 minute final run.

Had I only done 10 laps I'd have been top 10 and had someone in my category to chase on the last leg.

Rest day and easy week to shake off a sore throat and cold.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Scott - Not a bad relay leg at all, if you're on the come-back trail.  Very similar time to some of our short leg runners who would normally run 16/low-16 for 5k.

Simon has the dubious pleasure of being one of my benchmark runners to assess my performance.  So having run within 15 seconds of him yesterday, either we both ran well or we both ran crap, and I was very pleased with my leg, so I'm gonna say well done Simon!  image

And I did spot the rather more hirsute Samir jogging round.  I'd like to see him attempt a beard now I think.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    robT wrote (see)
    Just for info Chingo is now married and still struggling with injury !!

Same one? Has he made a few comebacks,or trying a different sport now?

• Thanks guys, yes SC Wall-Clarke was injured and has been a tad inconsistent since but expected really as getting back into it. Think he was taking a bit of a break too with job stuff?

Unlucky with the duathlon IC but good effort otherwise

Thanks PP - been tough old year but gradually getting there. Saw your result so well done good running

Matt - hoping the foot sorts itself out! Take it easy, long term game image
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)

And I did spot the rather more hirsute Samir jogging round.  I'd like to see him attempt a beard now I think.

Attempt?  You have clearly forgotten the first of all the Samir Haddad facts:

Samir Haddad can grow a full beard in 32 seconds, or 29 seconds if he gets one of his adrenaline rushes.

Great to see you back racing Scott, and a really tasty time too.  I'm not sure it works out as 5:22 miling if it was longer than 5K though?

Likewise, really good runs by PP and Simon.  Sounds like these relays were the place to be at the weekend.

Good duathloning IronCat, particularly in those conditions.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i would imagine samir's mid-race regeneration, to avoid geting lactic build up, would cause havoc with growing a beard.  so maybe have to give him a bit of slack on that.

sounds like many of you had a good day at the relays, are any of you doing the nationals on the 11th?  if so see you there

not that i understand much about it, but good duathloning Iron.

dachs , i agree with the bandana / injury / chingo...must be some link there. 

• IronCat5 wrote (see)

a quick change on to the 10 lap bike. Except I did 11 laps. I knew I had miscounted but didn't want to risk a DQ. .

Why did you do the extra lap if you knew?

• Ta Scott - Yes thought as much regarding AW-C. Good racing Iron, always remember how funny it is trying to run after cycling (from my one and only sprint tri!)

Well Dachs, the relays had a good turnout, such a shame about the weather. from similar fitness i did 25.20 ish last year, so we all agreed the wind has taken 20-30 secs off, going on the general rule that you that on a circular course you work hard into the wind and tend to 'coast' with the wind behind you, getting your breath back. So you will always tend to be faster when it's less windy. Good rule??

Dean - yes doing Sutton pk. praying for a calm day. It was windy last time and going out on the long leg it feels like you are hardly moving forward at some points!

• Cheers Dachs - I guess the 5:22 is strava's rounding up/down. Garmin had 3.12m so actually still 5:22...

I think I'll be attempting one fast parkrun or solo effort in two weeks (two weeks before 10km race) and will hope as close to 16 as possible but will see, MTSS is back so having some easy time this week again. Fitness shouldn't drop I don't think

Maybe at the nationals but my weekend with my daughter and being a Saturday means coming from the island or bringing her with me which for 5/6 hours at least in the car isn't fair. So probably out image

In regards to Samir, man dog also made an appearance at Liverpool HM on Saturday. Great to see
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

These relays sound like fun, good runs SC,SE. Impressive HM Johnas. Nice work Iron, I started an extra lap at Dorney once an that was just 4 or 5 laps or something, god knows how you count to 10. Maybe you should keep a bedpost to notch on the tri  bars or something. Matt hope that foot is ok.

I was meant to do my long run test, to see if GFA London at MK is possible yesterday but it was so filthy I subbed it for a brick session and did the long run today. It was windy but gloriously sunny this morning.

Started slowly as I hate running early, plus it was really slippy along the river and I almost stacked it about 3 miles in. Plodded out the first 8 muddy miles at a bit over 8mm. Then along firmer paths picked it up to about 7.35 up to 14 miles. Then hit the hills as I left the river and picked up a Strava CR up a stupidly steep hill. Another steep hill led to two miles at just under 9mm and a slow decent through the woods that was treacherous in normal runners.

With 17 miles done I had a 4.5 mile stretch left slightly downhill but into the wind along the pavement to try at GFA pace. Seemed to come out about 7mm or just under so I am pretty pleased with that. 21.4 miles done @ 7:47.

• Stevie G as far as I am aware Chingo injury still linked to original one post London I think he keeps fit by cycling and looks flushed with the joys of married life on FB

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Still quite shocked it was such a dramatic stop Rob. A cautionary tale to us all to enjoy the simple pleasure of training and racing while we have it.

We shared a fair few PMs around the time, as i'd had an injury in a similar area, but clearly mine was a lot less severe, and unfortunately any advice i could give was only general to the minor thing I'd done.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

On a more positive note....

Happy thread birthday.... 5 years old today imageimage

Big thanks to Moraghan for his unstinting support, and also to everyone who has contributed over the years and enabled me to keep keen and motivated to continue.

Here's to many more years.

• 5 years and nearly 30000 posts. Well done. But this is not a comeback. image
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

imageimage

hopefully first of a few guest appearances.

any other lurkers/past regulars out there?

• Andrew G wrote (see)

With 17 miles done I had a 4.5 mile stretch left slightly downhill but into the wind along the pavement to try at GFA pace. Seemed to come out about 7mm or just under so I am pretty pleased with that. 21.4 miles done @ 7:47.

Reckon that is fairly safe for a 41 year old (3:15 GFA, 7:27 pace) but you are 40 so need 3:05 (7:04 pace) which is still well within the possible framework but not 100% given. I just looked at MK and if you enter today or tomorrow you get your name on your number as per SG at the Reading Halfimage

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

UG!

I've now been to a lot of 5th birthday parties, as you can imagine.  Typically, there is a bouncy castle.  Can we have a bouncy castle please?

(of course, if we did have a bouncy castle, Bus would either be injured on it, or it would be deflated by the jaws of the dog that is chasing him).

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

of course, if we did have a bouncy castle, Bus would either be injured on it, or it would be deflated by the jaws of the dog that is chasing him

hahahahahahahaha

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday thread. I'm still relatively new to this thread then. Would be good to see just how many old posters and any lurkers there are out there.

Nice long run AG.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

5yrs eh!

sg (or any of the original crowd) - how have your PBs improved from 5yrs ago ?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

UG!

I've now been to a lot of 5th birthday parties, as you can imagine.  Typically, there is a bouncy castle.  Can we have a bouncy castle please?

(of course, if we did have a bouncy castle, Bus would either be injured on it, or it would be deflated by the jaws of the dog that is chasing him).

Oi!! I don't always get injured on bouncy castles, but they usually make me feel sick image

Nice long run Andrew. Nice time Scott! Good work at the relays Simon, and nice Tri-ing in horrible weather Iron (are you rusty now?)

Happy birthday thread imageimage

Don't be a stranger UG - I miss your exploits!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

ps - any track Tuesdays planned for tomorrow might be a bad idea given the forecast of 40+mph winds for an extended period!!

• Thanks all.

PMJ - I knew I had miscounted inasmuch as I wasn't sure whether I had done 9 or 10 as I approached decision point.

AG - I was monitoring my Garmin for distance but couldn't do the mental arithmetic; the track is slightly short of a mile and that threw me completely.

Good running at the weekend PP and AG today. You really need to start work..

PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    Andrew G wrote (see)

Reckon that is fairly safe for a 41 year old (3:15 GFA, 7:27 pace) but you are 40 so need 3:05 (7:04 pace) which is still well within the possible framework but not 100% given. I just looked at MK and if you enter today or tomorrow you get your name on your number as per SG at the Reading Halfimage

I always have my name on the race number. On the backside where name/address/nok all appear image

Dachs wrote (see)

UG!

I'll be in the kitchen with the other pissed adults.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

Good running at the weekend PP and AG today. You really need to start work..

I couldn't disagree more, not working is awesome! I now have a job, so I will see how long I can defer the start date. Best bit is after my run I had a nice sleepimage

PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    Andrew G wrote (see)

Where do you get this info on the names? I assume it's just a cut off date for their admin team to process the fancier numbers. I agree on the 7:04 it is tough enough. Having said that, I didn't feel tired today and that's off no taper and a bowl of cereal.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good racing and training over the weekend guys. I would have been at the 12 stage but my club had an AGM instead.

Chingo and the injury. I can remember the exact sequence behind that one. London marathon, and wanting to get cracking one week later.

A training error. All overuse injuries are just that (Coe senior). Argue against from a position of ignorance and denial at your leisure, he's dead.

Out of interest. How much food does anyone around here get through each day? I eat an entire loaf (800g, 15 x 116 kcals) of quality bread as a mere basic. Anything  else I get through would double the cals.

Once in a while I spot someone who has clearly trained their butt off but not fed the machine. They are so emaciated, they look hideous. Not only do their races times collapse, but injury is almost a given. Just thought I'd mention that.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

5yrs eh!

Love it! Dean. I know just where you're coming from.

🙂

• Where is the race report from the AGM Ric. I want to know who is left at the club.

I eat a bowl of porridge with sultanas in the morning. Made with fat milk, sometimes double cream. I may follow it up with an egg or a banana. Nothing until lunch or maybe a banana.

Lunch could be a sandwich and yogurt or similar. Sometimes eggs on toast. More fruit follows.

Dinner is often something with rice or potatoes or pasta. Followed by yoghurt or fruit. Plenty of water throughout the day in the form of squash, water, tea (black and peppermint) and small amounts of coffee.

I'm slower than I was, but slightly heavier and vastly healthier.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

5yrs eh!

Love it! Dean. I know just where you're coming from.

Ric, can you bore off from your snide digs, just for one day? At least let us enjoy the festivities?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

5yrs eh!

original pbs are on page 1. Naturally the pbs have become harder to keep moving, but am hopeful to have at least one set left image. Can't afford too many 6month spells like the end of 2014 though!

Like to think 3k has something in as it stands, I'm sure Stevie See can vouch that my pacing was less than spot on!!