RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

fame for the club at last, O4S image

Great stuff you're feeling better, AA. Now it's time to get excited for Boston. Do you have a few days planned over there or is it a DD stylee trip., i. e. fly in the night before, run and fly back the same afternoon image

Very excited to report that I accomplished my March challenge. 31 days run. 419k (260 miles) covered. Yesterday and today were the least enjoyable runs though. Last night I managed a paltry 3 miles inbetween showers but nearly got blown out onto the road a few times. This morning was even worse as there was pouring rain and occasionally sleet on top of gale force winds image. Still, a trendy 5 done in that.

If it doesn't improve tomorrow will be a rest day. At last image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell-thanks-think the achilles is ok....just feeling the effects of the effort on Sunday.Crazy wind today.This marathon will be remembered for the wind.Another good 6 in the bag for you

O4S-from ultras/trecking to intervals...the rich variety of your exercise/life....and I've not even mentioned the bike. Will you be wearing your club vest at London?

AA-very pleased to see the drugs have worked..roll on Boston.I read that they have put green sand over the land at the athletes village to melt the snow and allow it to dry out so you wont be waiting in a boggy marsh. You will get there early so dont forget to take somehing insulated to sit on.I havent done any intervals this campaign

Chick-well done completing your mad March and great mileage.Anyone would think you have a marathon in 4 weeks.Sure you havent kept one secret?You deserve a rest-I had 5 days rest this month.

Massage first thing today-an hour wasnt long enough for all my aches and pains top be attacked but even so I came out feeling well and truly battered.Hopefully the effects of Sunday will wear off over the next few days

Only swam yesterday so an easy 10and a bit miles at about 8mm this lunch time.That ends this month for me with 251 miles and some swims and spinning.About 40miles or so less than March for the last 2 years but as both resulted in injury for me Im not too concerned. Only thing is my hamstring is very tight and Im now sitting on a tennis ball.Any suggestions how to sort it out?

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

2Old: no club vest for me - a 'small' Macmillan Technical top, which swamps me, with my (real) name across the front. The name itself is a bit of a saga as on my first attempt a few years ago I ironed all the vowels on the wrong way round so they ended up permanently stuck to the tea towel rather than the shirt. BA was laughing hysterically until he did his own shirt and burnt a hole in the front between the first two letters of his name. Nobody ever accused this pair of being domesticated image

About to go out and brave the wind...........

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi o4s, I will take your word on it, still waiting on the VLM mag..

Hi Chick, Well done on the March runs.

Hi 2old, Get that spikey ball out. Yes, massages go too quickly...although I do enjoy a good natter throughout image

1.5 mile warm up / cool down today with intended 2 x 3 miles at MP -10 with 1 mile recovery. Splits: 6:37, 6:29, 6:41 & 6:37, 6:54 (wind got me!) 6:37.

Met up with a friend I intended to run London with today and he has had to pull out due to an ankle problem. He is re-focussing on Edinburgh so we will hopefully get together for that.image

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Nell: contact them sooner rather than later would be my advice.

just 4 slow miles today - legs knackered

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell- re mag..what O4S said . Like your MP. Your friends experience shows how cruel marathon training can be . I'm in too much pain to natter 

O4S- won't be any problem spotting you at the start area 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hi Gang!

Sorry I've been awol.  Life and all that....

Some cracking races happening!  Wow, you can see marathon season is almost upon us. 

AA Glad you're getting sorted with that chest.  Steroids might make you grow balls..?

Chick love that picture!  I went to kettlebells last week and couldn't walk properly or sit down for 5 days!!! 

Freemers you're are flying lady! And you carrot! 

Looking forward to cheering you all on in London.  Really wish I was going to be the other side of the barrier though. image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni-nice to see you again stranger...how is the dark side training going? We will miss you too

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    It's very dark 2old! I'll be cheering on in London and if course will be in Chandos afterwards. image
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Great to see you, Minni image. My arms still hurt from Sunday's exploits image I have zero upper body strength ...

2Old wrote (see)

Chick-well done completing your mad March and great mileage.Anyone would think you have a marathon in 4 weeks.Sure you havent kept one secret?You deserve a rest-I had 5 days rest this month.

Only swam yesterday so an easy 10and a bit miles at about 8mm this lunch time.That ends this month for me with 251 miles and some swims and spinning.About 40miles or so less than March for the last 2 years but as both resulted in injury for me Im not too concerned. Only thing is my hamstring is very tight and Im now sitting on a tennis ball.Any suggestions how to sort it out? 

I'm rewarding myself with a rest day I think image. Prague is sort of my spring marathon even though I'm only doing it as part of a team. But I'm looking forward to the autumn. I hope to string some solid mileage months together and get somewhere near my old PB again. That would be brilliant.

As for the tight hammy: trigger points for hamstrings are not only at the back of the leg - I sorted mine by foam rollering my hips and sitting on the spiky ball to work on my piriformis (be prepared to swear a lot imageimage coz it hurts). Hope it works for you...  You definitely know when you hit the trigger points - the pain is exquisite image 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- thanks for the suggestion on how to inflict maximum pain on myself . Any thoughts about which Autumn race? You shouldnt have any problem getting back to pb level with all those past  miles in your legs .

busy day today - 1mile swim earlier and just under 13m MLR  in the howling wind and rain which I quite enjoyed...nice to end a midweek run in relative daylight .  

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

I'm hovering between Bremen and Frankfurt. Bremen is pretty much on my doorstep, just 1h drive and about half the cost of Frankfurt. I've done it twice and I'm fond of it because that's were I broke 3:30 for the first time image. It's well enough supported to be fun but there are long and lonely stretches. Frankfurt will have bigger crowds and a red carpet finish in a stadium (or some exhibition all, I can't remember) - it's more expensive though and will involve travel and an overnight stay...   I'll mull it over. It's still early days.

Snap - 13 miles for me too. But in the dark. And for the first 3 miles it was snowing image

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Just 5 miles for me today before my operation at lunchtime.  They had to remove more of the ear than planned and not too optimistic about the skin graft taking. They have put waterproof glue all over the donor site on my neck so that it doesn't matter if I get sweaty, but might have to put our cycling plans on hold as I'm not sure if the helmet will clear the ear properly.  The tumour was ulcerated so I am on antibiotics and have to put ointment on the graft twice a day.  Anaesthetic just starting to wear off image   Beat that for a good VLM excuse image

BA is being worryingly solicitous - it's making me nervous............image

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Chick/2old, Took your advice thank you and called VLM today. I have a place and they are sending out details again on Tuesday for me...

Hi Minni, Nice to hear from you, hope everything is ok?

Hi 2old, Nice swimming, picked my son up from swimming club last night and asked what he did....800M warmup using the 4 strokes! It was the nonchalant way he said it image

Hi Chick, I have thought about Frankfurt before as my company have a training centre just outside the city. Might have a look to see if any interesting courses coincide with the marathon image.....nice 13

Hope the ear is ok o4s, I don't think that would stop you running VLM in the slightest image

5.75 miles yesterday at 7:46mm average at a ridiculous hour before I journeyed up to Aberdeen with work. The address given originally took me to a block of flats around the corner from Pittodrie! It got me thinking as it was 1st April! ended up at an office in the centre I actually drove past to get there....
    MP miles this morning, 1 mile warm up and 1.5 miles cool down with 10 MP miles. Splits: 6:33,6:30, 6:30, 6:45, 6:36, 6:45, 6:45, 6:42, 6:53, 6:43. That is a hard run, probably ran a bit too hard in places.image
    Rest day tomorrow..

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Blimey, Nell image no wonder that felt a bit hard. Your MP is quicker than my 5k pace image

Hope everybody is having fun over Easter. Weather is nice here. Cold and sunny. Managed 10 yesterday and 11.5 today. Tomorrow we'll have friends staying with us but I hope to get a longish run in early doors before hitting the kitchen.
  • Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Chick, Nice 10 and 11.5 image. No way I will be running that at MP!

Rest day yesterday, . We have got my sister and family up for the BH so bit manic. Got out for 10 miles this morning at 7:18mm average. Lovely morning. Taking the boys down to Easter Road this afternoon. I am cruel image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S-hope you're recovering well 

Nell-your MP miles are my 5k 10k and HM paces. Nice one.  Today's wasn't bad either. Great weather for a change

chick-some mega miles coming from you now. About timeimage Don't keep the visitors waiting for their food. 

23.4 miles at 7.50 mm pace today ....think that means taper or something image trouble is next weeks schedule doesn't look much easier 

good running all this weekend. Happy Easter 

• Hi all, sorry for absence.

2old - Very nice long run. Good the wind has dropped and nice to see the sun this morning. Thought you were nt swimming for a while? How's the hamstring?

Chick - Good you are back getting the mileage in.

Is the whole thread injury free? For once.

Nell - Yeah very happy with HM, you are flying. Has your mag arrived yet?

AA - Great you are feeling better, not long for you now.

Training went OK this week.  First triathlon on Friday  a new experience but enjoyed it and happy to get first one done details as follows:

Swim 400m, time 10:24, pos 242/260 had a mare.
    T1 time 2.55, pos 216/260 more work needed
    Bike 22k time 44.30 pos 77/260 loved it set off like an idiot after swim frustration 19.2 mph avg v happy with that even though peeing it down
    T2 time tim 2:17, pos 219/260 work needed struggled to tighten laces on shoes hands cold
    Run 5K time 20.18 pos 32/260 thought i might be quicker but hard off bike and half of course was x country mud fest with loose shoes.

Overall 1:20:27 and 90/260 so pleased with most of it but more work needed in certain areas.

15 mile loop today at MP? unfuelled and came out at 7:15 so all good.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Nice one, Baz image

And a super long run, 2old image

Plan was to get up really early for a long run but in the end I had so much stuff still to sort out that I scrapped the idea and did intervals instead image

First time for about a year. Shock to the system.... My cardiologist said to stick below 90% of max so I inched myself closer with each rep

I did 5x 1k and managed 4:30,.4:26, 4:21, 4:15 and 4:15 (that's 7:15 pace for the slowest and 6:50 for the two fast ones). Quite happy with the outcome. Heart seems fine. No arrhythmia so far image

Baz, your MP is my interval paceimage
  • Happy Easter everyone image

Well done completing your March challenge Chick! The wind was horrendous here earlier this weekend - like you say, blow you into the road stuff - so great work still getting out and putting the miles in. Any plans for an April challenge?

Minni if you stand at the right point in London (maybe around 22 - 23M) you'll not want to be on the other side of the barrier! Hope the tri training is going well.

O4S it should be you on the front of that London magazine! Hope the ear is healing up ok.

Any news on the VLM magazine Nell?

That's the thing about the start of the taper isn't it 2old, it doesn't actually get easier that first week, it's just less miles!

First triathlon is always going to be a learning experience Barry! Looks like you did brilliant on the raced bits, just need to practice those transitions. I'm sure some of the more experienced trialthletes among us can offer a few pointers, DD, AA, et al! Would help Minni too. I'd probably still be trying to get my wetsuit off!

Last long run today - 20M progression run of 6M easy, 7M steady, 7M marathon pace then a mile easy. Gorgeous morning for it, legs were a bit bushed after a 10K race on Friday.

I'd not entered in time but managed to get a number exchange last weekend. So rejigged my week a bit so I could have a few easy days before the race. The weather was perfect - damp, overcast and barely a breeze. Ran with a friend with the plan of the first mile in 6:25 then settle into the pace. All great, passed halfway in 19:40 and felt good (as good as you can in a 10K race) Next couple of miles were tough but still on pace, last mile I died a bit but knew it was just a case of hang on, grit my teeth and get it over with. Second half in 19:53 for a new 10K pb of 39:33 and my first sub-40. You forget how much it hurt as soon as you've finished and realise you've hit a target you once thought was what the 'fast runners' did.

Just hope I can keep this up for the main event in three weeks!
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- nice tri. You'll strip minutes off over the next few .Bet you passed loads on the run and had some fun going it. When is the next one. Excellent 15. Is that MP for 26th? Hammy very tight - sore in the left glute and left Achilles. I'm back swimming as an alternative to running too much. Think I might only run every other day for the next week. 

Chick- some fadt 1k's there. Just shows how quick the body recovers .

Carrot- yes taper has  less miles-7 I thinkimage Sub 40, 10k pb image Very pleased (and jealous ) for you. Sub 40 will be easy after that. Cracking 5k in there too. 

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Barry:  get yourself some special tri shoe fasteners, no need to lace the shoes [also workd well when you hand is in plaster!! image

Carrot:  imageimageimage  Fantastic time WELL DONE!  Good result in the footie too

Nell:  Easter Road??

Chick:  I couldn't even make Nell's times in intervals image

2Old:  obviously time for you to consider an ultra image

Anyway I'm sulking and reasessing VLM.  I can't run because after a mile or so the blood pumping round my body starts to leak out through my stitches, which is a big 'no-no' at this stage.  Can't cycle because my the strap on my helmet lies right across my ear, hurts like hell and is less than spotlessly clean, plus I can't look over my right shoulder as the donor site on my neck has been glued so tight image

So no cycling, no running - what's a girl to do [apart from drink wine and eat chocolate].  Walking it has been - just 6 miles Friday as I felt a bit  wobbly, 22 yesterday and 15 today with 26 planned for tomorrow with lots of hills.  I feel I'm OK for  endurance but speed is an issue, especially as I have done all but two of my long runs off-road.  I am beginning to think 'Professor Whiplash' may have to be resurrected for the marathon - you have been warned!image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S-I expect you to be at Green Start in full working order. Don't worry about speed the endurance training gives you that. Re ultras -I was thinking the same myself when I got to 23 miles and thought how easy it was image

Will run later to make up for all the chocs consumed this weekend. Easter is too near the race ....my weight management is a disaster 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Blimey, O4S image take it easy, will ya? Give that graft a chanceimage

Woooo hoooo carrot- sub 40 is bloody brilliant image Great news image Now you're a proper fast runner image

Very hungover today image Only managed a slow 5 with Mr. Chick. But we spent an enjoyable day with a house full of friends yesterday. I cooked for an army and thought it was way too much but they ate it all image
  • Carrot imageimage image so well deserved and one of the big ones to tick of. AMaZing. 

O4S - loom after yourself. You put yourself through so much. 

Baz - amazing running and well done in the Tri. Dark side looms bigtime!!. Cotton wool time for you!! 

Chick - you entereda marathon yet?

not great news frim me. 16 weeks and either been ill or injured the whole time. Back on antibiotics for an ear infection now. did y last 16 mile run on friday with last 2 @ 7:45 pace and my left foot still has tendonitis. Think I need to rest now and get well and mend. 2 weeks to boston. London might be in doubt... image

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

AA: you have been having a rough patch and no mistake.  Just take it easy and think about enjoying Boston.

2Old: make it 40 miles with hills, mud and map reading - it may not seem such an easy  option!  You don't want to be entering one of these expensive commercial events where they mark the course for youimage.  If an ultra of 50 miles or less costs more than £25 (absolute max) you are being ripped off...........

i certainly plan to be at the green start even if not in full working order (in fact even if not running).  Bits of blackened dried blood have been raining off my ear like confetti today and it has turned a rather alarming purple colour. Still can't get it wet and my hair is stiff image

BA has gone to the dark side and been to join the local Crown Bowls Club tonight

• AA -  Have you upset someone recently, you are having a crappy time of it. Yeah looking forward to more tri's. Still hope to see you at London

Carrot - You are flying , congrats on the 10K PB.

O4S  - I would say take care of yourself and rest, but wasting my breath.image Yes been recommended elastic laces which will probably save 2 mins on T2( yeah I got the lingo). I used to love crown bowling as a kid.

Chick - Good training when feeling image, self inflicted no sympathy. image

2old-  Yeah passed loads on the bike only overtaken by one, who soon got reovertaken on run amongst others, loved the bike and run, swimming not at the moimage  Next one is another pool one end of May before I venture into OW. Not sure about MP, heart says 7:10 head says 7:20,  on day I will  set off too fast I'm sure. By the end of the day on the 26th O4S will have signed you up for some 100 milers, the chat will begin at the green start and by the 3rd pint in Chandos you won't be able to say no.image Weighed myself after yesterdays run and 64kg, will probably be 66 at start line which is 6kg lighter than 2 years ago.

In the pool this afternoon, expected it  to be busy due to bank holiday but had lane to myself, after a few 100's warm up I swam a comfortable 9:26 400m that's a minute faster that the tri. image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA- only 2 Weeks Until Boston? Hope some of your probs are just inflamed by  taper madness . Stay cool you'll have a great trip...the Boston Marathon weekend is an amazing experience.....started looking at the weather yet?    Forget about London ...defer if need be though you don't need to I expect. 

O4A- there was a bit of mud on the road on Saturday and I tried a different route without a map too and didn't get lost so I think I can hack ultras if I save up.Is BA signing you up too? glad your presence at the green start is not in doubt 

Chick - always tough running stuffed with food and booze. 

Barry- fast 400m today. Yes those special elastic  laces work wonders . So you'll be about 8kg lighter than me...think how many minutes head start that's worth image not to mention the 5 years image. Know what you mean about deciding on a pace. I will be like you...go off too fast ,panic ,slow  a bit then think it's too much so get faster then slow then just hope to hang on. 

Just over 10m today...slow start then faster 9 miles-overall average 7.12. That run suggests to me that I will run on 26th with a variety of paces between 6.50 and 8.15 with no idea when. image

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Carrot - brilliant sub 40, that's really fantastic image

Barry - well done on the tri. Once you sort out your swimming and transitions they will be a breeze image

O4S - take it easy please!

AA - you too....just do enough at this stage to get to the start line.

Chick - good to see some speed coming back for you with those intervals. Hope the hangover has gone away image

21 miles on Sunday for my last LSR.  Wasn't perfect and my last long run never is - just kept wanting it to be over so I can start tapering.  An easy 3.5 miles recovery yesterday and then a quick 5 miles this morning @ average 7.05 pace.  Tomorrow will be my final interval session, then we are off on holiday to Cumbria for 10 days, so some nice running up there I hope.

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old, 23.4 miles! steady on....Interesting pace strategy .

Hi Barry, Sounds a good learning experience on the Tri? Nice unfuelled 15

Hi Chick, Great news on the interval session, sounds as though things are coming on well? If you got 5 miles in you can't have been that hungover image

Hi Carrot, Great news on the sub 40. Very well done! You sound in a very good place at the moment? Rang up VLM last Thursday, and I am in the London marathon apparently, they are going to send out the material today as missed the post last Thursday, so should get it about Thursday this week  image

Hi o4s, Sorry Easter Road = Hibernian FC. really hope things get better with the ear... more interestingly, I am considering the prospect of you giving BA a game of crown green bowls...cheap drink at the bowling clubs o4s!

Hi AA, You seem to have collected everyone's bad luck up this spring. Fingers crossed you are feeling better soon.image

Hi Freemers, Enjoy the holiday. That last LR is always the longest isn't it... Must be all the dreams of tapering...

Busy old weekend, Sister was up with her bunch so pretty hectic. Early rises for me so I could get my runs in but worth it as it was a great weekend and the weather actually fab, we even made the beach at North Berwick on Sunday and it was fantastic! Sunday 16 miles at average 7:26mm. Actually glad I was out early for that as it heated up quickly. Had a Banoffee Torq gel which was ok, also tried a Clif shot Double Expresso gel. Yuk, it was like paste and ditched it. 6 miles yesterday at 7:27mm average and then intervals this morning 3 x 2 miles at -10 secs MP. Splits: 6:43,6:32. 6:41,6:33. 6:39,6:32. Week off so having a bit more time treated myself to a cold bath after the session image