Sub 3h15

Comments

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Good result RFJ.

Badbark - not good and I hope the doc gave you the anti-virals which these days are amazing as they worked wonders with my daughter and wife when they had it a few years back.

Congratulations OO on the 101st Parkrun and great result.

3 days off here due to virus and feeling about 10% of normal.  Made plans for a 20 miler today, but in the daytime.  Typical story, first 8 miles good, next 6 start to slow, by 18 dead and collapsed under a tree, walk/shuffle the last 2 home.  Big dehydration and too hot again seems to be the cause.  Anyway, I got to run with some barefoot kids who said 'we always watch you running on TV' (I don't think they were specifically meaning me), saw loads of birds, ostrich, antelope and got attacked by a dog.

Poacher - the only person I know who can pull off such a recovery is you. Best wishes on it.  Comrades training has been going rather badly.  I've had a bad leg since the beginning of Feb after a fast HM I hadn't trained to run fast in and then a tempo session that overdid things.  Since then slowly been recovering whilst having frequent collapses due to the heat/general mediocrity.  3x 20 milers this year and generally struggling with anything longer or faster so Comrades looking more like a finish to me rather than a time. 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Birch - isn't it your round in Chandos? image So yes I hope to be be there with my thirsty, needy face.  image  Keen to keep up the streak as it's due to be 10th LM on the trot. Thinking about a PW for Carmen Miranda.

Lorenzo - if the training has gone well, then a Bill Rowan must be the target - which would be a result, you can do this.

Bike It - sorry to hear that. Comrades takes no prisoners. I think you like me have previously finished in 8.XX so surely there's a chance of getting round even if just scraping under 12h? Fingers crossed. 

Badbark - err, if I were you I would be worried about storing up the risk of Shingles for the future. which is a very, very painful ailment. Look after yourself.

Dashed good running by the OO family too.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Good luck on the job front Poacher. I seem to remember you had a pretty unorthodox build up to Berlin a couple of years ago and did fine so I'm confident you'll get round (albeit painfully!).

Sounds like you are putting yourself through the mill a bit BI. Have you started your new role yet? Hope the dog fight didn't cause you too much damage. On animal sightings, I saw a seagull flying along a main road in Barcelona yesterday carrying a dead pigeon in its beak.

Looking good ssc. I'll try to hold on to your coat tails at Manchester!

Take it easy Leslie. Backs are a real bother when they play up. Is this a recurring thing for you?

Well done on the result RFJ image

Junior OO is a machine. How much faster does she have to get before she gets spotted and dragged into a development programme or something?

BB! Ugh. Careful you don't get any post viral fatigue issues. Great if you can keep training though.

Impressive mileage Birch

Nice park running Jf2

The comeback is oooonnnnn speedy!

Lazy week for me with hols although still running everyday and managed a speedy 8.5miler in under an hour in the Spanish sunshine on Saturday. Spent too much time on the beach and got sunburned yesterday so a bit sore today and look out of place back in Blighty as a lobster in the local fog. 2hr brick session tonight. Felt strong.
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Badbark, wow! That is quite a display of varicella. That virus thrives on stress so am concerned about you logging 90 mile weeks. Are you getting better and slowly clearing virus or is it staying the same and/or getting worse? Be really careful as you need to let you body clear the bug and recover. I second the antivirals too. Best of luck.

I'm on a plane to San Diego right now. Headed to my old stomping grounds for the week. Can't wait as still cold in VT. 

My running is slowly rebooting. Last 3 days have been 13, 7, 11 and managed 43 for the week last week. Finally getting stronger after the norovirus hit and able to rebound run to run. Have been fighting a bit of patella femoral pain as clearly have a slight imbalance in left leg. This was in the background all last year just a bit but never flared like this. But after 10 days now of some simple strengthening work the symptoms are really improving. No pain as I've sat for 5 hrs on the plane now (anyone who's had this knows what sitting can do!).

OO, shocking result from your daughter. You must be so happy and proud. Is fun follow her incredible progress. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

ssc - good HMP run.
    OO - well done on the podium finish at parkrun. And congrats to OO jnr - awesome time.
    Speedy - hope the recovery continues.
    RFJ - nice long run.
    PMJ - good pacing at parkrun.
    JF2 - nice parkrun debut!
    Poacher - good to hear from you. Hope you can make it to Comrades in decent shape. All the best with work.
    Badbark - how is the virus affecting your running? Hope you know what you're doing!
    Birch - ready for a well-earned taper?
    Jools - happy tapering!
    KR - don't listen to the taper madness!
    Bike It - I think I would die if I tried to run in the heat of the day in South Africa!
    Leslie - hope your back is OK.
    SJ - sounds tough out in Spain.
    VTr - great news!
    Rest day for me on Easter Sunday. Overslept on Monday. 20 laps of a caravan park this morning (family on holiday while I work), including 4 x 3 laps fast / 1 lap recovery (probably somewhere around 2k reps).

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Dramatic 20 there Bike It, one way and another  . . .
    Poacher - never been in Chandos, - better start filling the piggy-bank, I guess  image

VTr -things looking up . . .

SJ - "feeling strong" - that's a good feeling . . .

Gul - good to see all "normal" with you - 20 laps of caravan park  (!)

yes, I suppose taper begun - this week not much different to previous, except Sat will be around 13 rather than 20 +

• Birch - don't worry. As London pub prices go, Chandos is quite reasonable although the final bill will obviously depend on how many Carmen Miranda fans turn up as well!

Who else is planning on being at Chandos? I'm hoping to be there if only to toast Poacher.

Gul - 20 laps of a caravan park?! Aaargh!!!! What's happened to that field you used to run around?

6 x 3min reps for me this morning. Moderately satisfying.

• Your laps of the caravan park brings back memories of my Maravan Gul!

A good session Lorenzo!

2nd week of taper started well last night with 5 miles and middle 3 @ MP. New marathon shoes felt super light. Is it too early to be thinking what to wear on the day? Has everyone got their favourite kit to run in?

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Hi all, just had a quick read back to catch up on the last week or so. Congrats to racers (RFJ, family OO and parkrunners spring to mind), healing vibes to those benched, ill (BB - don't push too hard) or on the comeback trail. Strong running by those of you about to enter the realms of taper madness!

Away for the weekend at the in-laws, but managed a few runs round the country lanes of rural Northamptonshire, most pleasingly a 10 miler with the 1st half at 8mm, 2nd half at 7mm, which didn't feel too stressful, so hoping all is on course for the Bournemouth HM on Sunday. Will try to pay closer attention as the run up to VLM (and other Spring maras) always makes for fascinating reading.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Birch - Great mileage

Jools - Nice LR and enjoy the taper.

OO - Awesome 10k time from Junior                            

LesH - Tut tut, on giving in to your inner chimp

Scc - Excellent 22 miler and strong finish. I'm glad you liked the TU 80 interview.

GD - Embrace the madness!

RFJ - Nice result in your 20

BI - Sorry to read about your virus and your tough run. Are you still following a low carb, high fat diet? If so you should listen to the Talk Ultra 80 Mark Hines interview.

SJ - Well done on running every day on hols and enjoy the brick session.

VT - Great to read your recovery is going well.

Gul - Nice laps and reps. I'm sure the other campers loved you run striding round.

Birch - Enjoy the taper

Lor - Glad you had a good holiday. Good reps 

KR - Good MP sessionsand glad to hear your shoes are feeling light. I like to make sure I wear a different kit each year for each major race. This makes it easier to remember the year when looking at photos.

Ab -Nice 10 miler and good luck at Bournemouth

Thanks for the concern and advice about me having Chicken Pox. I did indeed get Aciclover anti-viral pills within 24 hours of the rash showing. As far as I was concerned the pills were taking care of the virus so I could continue with my running.image I know it was risky to continue but sometimes you have to take risks to excel.

I had planned to run 22 miles with 8 at MP on Saturday but instead ran 23 with 4 at MP+10% and 1 at MP. Not as tough as I wanted my final LR to be but still a decent run under the circumstances, and importantly I haven't lost confidence for a PB attempt at London.

Yesterday was my first rest day after 22 days running although I still managed a weights and ab session. I felt good this morning and ran 10 miles including 5 x 4 mins with 90 sec rest. I was very happy to average about 5:52 min/mi pace for the intervals which is my fastest for this workout.

The Chicken Pox are all now crusting over and the sore throat and ear ache that I had has gone. So it looks like my gamble has paid off as no training was missed, I'm still running well and my confidence is high. I've a 10k race on Sunday which I'm really looking forward too. If I can run somewhere near Junior OO's time I'll be well happy.image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I also have a 10k on Sunday Badbark- and my objective is the same (beat junior's time)image .Glad to hear you are on the mend- will make you look even more lean and mean!  

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Good comeback VTR - you've got to be happy with thatett

Poacher I have one sub-9 and in the last up of 2013 I was on course for the same until collapse at 4km to go in the 32C heat and having tonsilitus 42 hours before.  Hopefully I could get enough preparation in for a decent bronze. Let's see.

Job going well so far thanks SJ. Good people and spacious modern office with view over the bushveld. Will be starting bike commute soon once I get a site pass (typical African administration slowness).

BB - good news that the chicken pox is passing and impressive training continues.  I'm not on the LCHF at the moment but will get around to that interview

Rest day today

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Glad you're on the mend, Badbark.

4 miles at 7.22 avg just now. too fast for an easy run but it felt easier going quicker.

Just one 3 mile run to go on Thursday and that's me done. Still trying to decide which shoes to wear as the recent lower leg issues have put doubt in my mind. One final test on Thursday should sort it.

GD

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Ooh, a bike commute BI? How's your swimming?image

Sounds promising BB.

Nearly there GD - exciting! image
  • Gul Darr wrote (see)

Rest day for me on Easter Sunday. Overslept on Monday. 20 laps of a caravan park this morning (family on holiday while I work), including 4 x 3 laps fast / 1 lap recovery (probably somewhere around 2k reps).

Come on Gul, 20 laps at 2k is 40km, 42.195 is what you need. Race Jase does it, Steve Way does it.

• Glad to hear that you're well on the road to recovery Badbark. Just be careful you don't push things too hard too quickly.

Slightly disappointing 8.5 mile run this morning. Was trying to go for a "feeling comfortable marathon pace"; it felt comfortable, but only ended up around 7:30s. Hope it's just down to the residual effect of the weekend's running and yesterday's interval session, and nothing more worrying.

Made a mental note today that I need to get plenty of rest in the fortnight (and especially the final week) before VLM so will be focusing on short stuff for the last few days.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - always good to do the classic 6x3mins. The field is still there, but I'm a few miles up the road in Pentney this week at a caravan park!
    KR - yes, I did think of you and the Maravan. This is a very small site - the loop I'm doing is less than half a mile.
    Abbers - all the best for Bournemouth this weekend.
    Badbark - sounds promising - pleased to hear it. Hopefully I didn't wake anyone up.
    GD - not long to go now!!!
    PMJ - Sorry to be even more of a wimp than you thought - I meant 3 laps is approx 2k!
    Lorenzo - no need to fret about one slightly disappointing session.
    Nice swim yesterday evening. Me and Mrs GD had the entire pool to ourselves. 3 mile recovery run this morning - 7 and a bit lapsimage  I had plenty of time so paced out the loop and estimated that it is 675m.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    GD: nearly there! Comfy shoes probably easiest on the mind (not a typo). Hope the taper madness isn't too bad.

Lorenzo: every training block has the odd inexplicably bad run. Don't sweat it. Focus on 3 sessions which were great and take your confidence from them.

Club session last night of 8 X 2 mins off 90s. Long recoveries for a marathon runner, so 5k pace was the aim and averaged 5.48s over the set. Legs slightly sore today but in a good way.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I felt the same on Sunday/Monday Lorenzo- really flat and slow pace (more like 8:45 for me). However, 9 miler y/day felt much better. I'm planning 45 miles this week, but with a 10k race instead LSR on Sunday. 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

similar here - legs felt tired today - did my 3 miles to park, 2 x 0.5 mile, 3 x 1 mile, 2 x 0.5 mile, 3 miles home session.  was 12th consecutive running day, though  . . . .

• Sounds a tasty Club session Jools.

Nice session too Birch, are you starting a Ron Hill streak?

Good luck with your 10k race OO

Gul - I bet soon you will be able to see where you have worn down the grass doing those laps of the caravan park on google earth! I've stayed in Pentney too. Some friends own a converted Chapel in Pentney and we've stayed there a few times.

7.5 mile Club run last night over the fields/villages with a fast last 1.5 miles along the “solid” pavements on the way back. Good to catch up with ‘The Purple One’. His training is going well for VLM.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Slokey-nice brick session, as for my back its not something I usually have any bother with ,it has settled down quickly again but 3 days rest wont have done it any harm.

Badbark-well gambled image

Gul-nice caravan lapping.image

Jools -great pace.

Birch-with a good campaign you should do well.image

Back on the wagon yesterday with 7 slow early ones and 6 in the evening then 6 this morn again image

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

SlokeyJoe wrote (see)
    Ooh, a bike commute BI? How's your swimming?image

If I swim less than 800m I survive, if it's longer than that I have lots of pain due to swallowing too much air.  It's a question of technique I believe. I do have a pool at my current and new house however, plus the uni Olympic pool so I've got no excuses other than it being too cold.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    No excuses BI! Tri it!

Hope the back clears up soon then Leslie.

3x 2miles at HMP last night off 300m. It felt suitably unpleasant. Brick and swim tonight - whoop.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

BI it sounds like life in SA is getting itself in gear, which is great after making such a big move. It's a county with such huge potential (but so many problems). This will my 6th time in SA in work or leisure mode and looking forward as ever. Haven't told MrsP about Bunny Chow yet...

BI & Lorenzo - what are the longest LRs you are doing for Comrades?

I am getting to the point where running days feel numbered and I might just give it all up.  Thinking about a folding mountain bike which could slot in the back of the car with the inflatable kayak. Anyone know anything about folding bikes?

• Poacher - I've done a couple of 30 milers. Might squeeze another one in during the May bank holiday weekend or the weekend after. How about you?

My only experience with folding bikes was with my trusty Strida (www.strida.com) which I used to get me Mr Bean-style from Waterloo to Oxford St and back. Great design, but suspect you might want something a bit more robust for mountain biking!!

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Landed back in Blighty late last night after two and a half weeks in Asia and spent all day doing laundry. I managed to fit in my last 20 miler which I hadn't done on Sunday as my Achilles was a bit tetchy from all the treadmill running I think. After two days' rest it felt much improved today, although jet lag definitely was present. I failed to fit in a decent MRP block managing just a few around 6:45/6:50/6:55 before sacking those as I'd gone out without water and just one gel. Ended up averaging 7:21mm having had to slurp from the River Wey around 18 miles I was so parched by then.

I've decided that race pace will be whatever it comes out at on the 26th. Too many variables can affect pace so I'm going to just see what happens on the day.

Now for a massive read back while I cook dinner for my family who are all dropping like flies with jet lag!
  • Hi

long time no post from me.  I had a couple of v busy weeks at work and then off to Costa Rica on holiday, which is where I am now. Running has suffered and I have only just been ticking over for the last few weeks. However, this has included a few spectacular runs in the jungle and the cloud forest. Nothing more than 5m as that is all I have managed to fit in. In any case the combination of heat, humidity chalenging terrain and (in he cloud Forrest) altitude, make 5m feel like plenty.

i have access to a treadmill for the rest of the trip which may help Get some speedwork in at least.

in effect I will have had a 5 week taper. But looking back I have done 2x22m, 5x 20 (one raced) and a couple more LRs plus a handful of 10m at MP runs and interval sessions.  hopefully sub 3.15 should therefore still be achievable come April 26.

got my pack through and will be on Green start (slow SFA). Never been off Green before.

good to see poacher back and people generally seem to be peaking nicely.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Hang in there poacher, I am sure there will always be a place for running among all your exotic options. You might want to give nordic walking (or skipping) a go, great for anyone living near a beach. Happy to loan you the poles if u r down Tynemouth way.

Welcome back MSE and GA from your very nice excursions....

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Sorry to read about chicken pox (BadBark), damaged ACLs (Poacher) and less than ideal training still from those coming back from the bench (BikeIt).  It is the hardest part of training for a marathon, staying strong and healthy.  With 4 bug-harbouring minors in the house, I fear my chances of staying lurgy-free during the taper are very small.  Any tips, SJ, PMJ and others?  In Vietnam and HK practically everyone wears those masks that cover your nose and mouth because the pollution is so bad and there is a genuine fear about avian flu.  Perhaps I should have bought one of those...