Brighton Marathon 2015

Comments

• J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭
    Decided to run at exactley 9:15 this morning and did an hour along the canal with the wife, lovely run and great marathon chat as we both talk through race plans.

Had to calm her down a bit as after a 5k PB yesterday her eyes are getting a bit tempted to go for a stretch time from the gun, which is bad for me as if she does the gambler in me will want to go for it to.

So after a solid 8 yesterday with a few sub 7 min miles and a nice controlled 8m today I will do a 30 min spin session on Monday, 6m with 2@MP on Wednesday then an easy 5 thurs and easy 4 Friday then eat.

What is your plan Mark?
  • Finished my 12. Good pace (for me) a few MP miles and averaged mp+15 seconds overall. Legs are still heavy but that's cos I've been on my feet/up ladders all week. 6 Monday 5 Wednesday 2@mp and a couple of light weight sessions but no leg work. Won't do a thing after Wednesday. Cut out caffeine until race day and reduce calories until Friday night. Cut nails thursday. And get kit sorted Thursday for Friday travel. Will get sis gels at expo. May treat myself to sunglasses and new vest if weather is looking sunny image
  • SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Jo Ransom: thanks. It's amazing what the mind can give you when the legs get tired.

Emmyg2: I agree. you only get one first marathon so I would run your own race. Set a pace as per your training. Sounds like a 4:15 And enjoy the moment. Next time start chasing pb's, use pacers etc. 

my week: Mon: 30km cycle, Tue: 10km run, Thur: 8km run, Fri: 1 hour swim and I'm done. lots of fruit, vitamins and water, cut back beer and coffee. 

• I did a nice 12 yesterday with a few hills and miles at MP, 4 on Tuesday at MP and a little speed at the end, last 4 on Thursday. Travelling down to Crawley on Friday evening ready for spending the day in Brighton on Saturday. Really looking forward to it now. Good Luck all

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Forecast currently looks good for Sunday http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/7day/BN1 - 11 degrees and wind behind you on the last few miles.

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I keep resisting the urge to look at the weather. I will try and wait it out until Thursday.  Glorious today, perhaps a little warm for marathon running image

• Hi to you all, I have posted on here for ages but have been reading almost every day. Some reall i trending posts with some great tips/help.

I have trained really well and was looking forward to Sunday until last night whe I was sick and think I have 1 of these 24/48 bugs that are going around. I now feel terrible just taking paracetamol and drinking water with little food.

Question is do I pull out and defer place- has this happened to any one else before this near to race. Can't believe how bad luck this is as I was feeling reall positive about race. Panic is setting in was meant to go out for easy run tonight. I don't think I could run 1 mile. Have been reading Brighton details trying to get my mind posative. Has any one had these bugs before do they go as quick as it hit me?

Thanks in advance fellow BM runners
  • It's only Tuesday. Hold on and see how you feel at the weekend. No point in deferring. I mean,. what is the point in deferring? I nearly always get sick the week before and am fine the week of the marathon. I'm almost jealous that you are sick NOW. Better then getting ill on Thursday/Friday. Hold on and don't give up yet. Hold on for one more day.

• J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭

Stephen still plenty of time to get well, could look at it as a depletion phase before some old school Carb loading!!

As you have trained well the fitness it there, fingers crossed it is a quick recovery sure you will do well Sunday.

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Stephen - poor you.  I dont think you can second guess this, i think you just have to ride it out and see. I got sick the Wed before a marathon 2 years ago and by Sunday I was still not great and couldnt run.  I did miles on the Monday and that was about all i could manage. I was lucky that Kent roadrunner was a new race 1 or 2 weeks later and i entered it as soon as i got sick which kind of took the pressure off.  Would it make you feel better to try and find another one to enter as a back up?  As others have said though, it's early days and you might be fine by tomorrow, 100% by Thursday.  It's just impossible to tell.  Someone else will come along and tell you that they were sick as a dog a few days before marathon and still ran a massive pb.

Dont pull out and defer, no point at all.

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I just saw that Milton Keynes still has places for the marathon...

• Stephen, like others say, there's still time to recover and in all likelihood it will pass as quickly as it came. Philomena has a point, I started feeling ill in the Thu/Fri before the race last year!

I'm currently getting over after a rather messy stag weekend. My legs feel pretty fresh but I ache pretty much everywhere else. I'll do a short run tonight and that'll be it until Sunday! Getting quite excited but still got 3 busy days of work to get through first.

Trying to decide what time to get to Brighton on Saturday. Think I'll leave it to later in the day, whistle stop tour of the expo (as usual!), dinner then back to the hotel to chill.
  • Hi All,

Been lurking on here and following all your training even though long term injury has meant I cannot take my place and run this year. Depending on what the MRI Scan reveals I may have to switch to cycling instead for the future . . .

Stephen - don't stress about not running during this week, you have done all the hard work training so the body won't mind a few days off. Rest and recover and I hope your stomach allows you to begin carb-loading for the big day on Sunday.

Want to wish each and every one of you all the best for Sunday, have a great day.

• Fingers crossed for you Stephen.

In 2011 I was sick on the morning of the VLM (pre-race nerves).  It was only a one-off and I was able to eat again within the hour though and then take part in the race.

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

just looked at faqs and couldnt see any tracker info - anyone know if there is one or if you get a text at the end with your time?  thanks

BarryM - thanks and good luck for your scan

• J SwizzleJ Swizzle ✭✭✭

PG3 runner lookup on the desktop site says it will have timing info during race. The mobile app has tracking info from a smart phone. You can add people to favorites in the mobile app so you can see how multiple people are going at the same time.

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

There is a tracker app, is this what you're looking for?

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/brighton-marathon/id364623370

• Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

After 10k, HM and 30k when I looked.

Think last year it was every 5k.

• Thanks all for earlier comments.

When the pain began to subside in my leg I could tell it was my ankle and not calf. I've been icing, wearing an ankle brace and resting it where I can.The pain has virtually gone now, though I still feel it throb now and then.

So I'm going to start on Sunday and see how it goes. I'm toying with running a mile or 2 Saturday to test it out, but am worried it will flare up again Saturday night.

Sounds like tapering has been going well for most. Hope you're feeling better today Stephen.

A couple of train journey questions for those coming into Preston Park, what time are you planning to arrive at PP station? Will 8:15 be too late? Are the trains generally busy (coming from Croydon, am considering 1st class to hopefully guarantee a seat).

• Hi All

I've been following this thread for a few months now as i'm running my first marathon at Brighton on Sunday. Training has gone pretty much to plan (Hal Higson Beginners 2) & really looking forward to it.

This may seem a silly question, but i can't see the answer on the official website, but does anyone know where the toilets are positioned on the course? & from previous experience do they tend to have long queues? I do tend to need to wee on my long runs and want to be as prepared as possible in advance.

Any toilet info/advice would be much appreciated - many thanks

• Hi Sammyjo,

No mention of the toilets on course map however in the essential guide I've seen 'Toilets are frequently positioned close to a drinks station, just before or after every drinks station. These will be at approximately Miles; 2.5, 7, 9, 11, 13.5, 15, 17, 19.5, 21.5, 23, 25 and at the finish.'

As for queues have seen posts (from memory) there were queues but unsure how long.

• thanks Robert - that's great - much appreciated

hopefully i'll only need one visit - good to know where they are

• I would say that being able to recognise what a potapotty looks like is all you need. Seems there are plenty and the guys on the first mile will keep the queues down by weeing in the bushes. 

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

thanks guys, i have installed the tracker image

• Hi guys, thanks for comment/suggestion i have taken your advice on board and am not going to defer my place. I did nothing yesterday and had a little to eat later on. Went back to work today for a few hours and have managed to eat/drink with no ill effects. I then went for a very easy run tonight (4m) legs felt great, however stomach still tender. I am determined to run this race as it is 1 of my favourite marathons and have trained hard for it. No run for me tomorrow last day at work before heading to Brighton on Friday. Going to do 1 more easy run fri AM and then enjoy weekend. Thanks again for your comments, I hope you all have a great run,
  • Looking like a breezy Sunday is coming our way!!!!
  • Stephen Elkan 2 wrote (see)
    Hi guys, thanks for comment/suggestion i have taken your advice on board and am not going to defer my place. I did nothing yesterday and had a little to eat later on. Went back to work today for a few hours and have managed to eat/drink with no ill effects. I then went for a very easy run tonight (4m) legs felt great, however stomach still tender. I am determined to run this race as it is 1 of my favourite marathons and have trained hard for it. No run for me tomorrow last day at work before heading to Brighton on Friday. Going to do 1 more easy run fri AM and then enjoy weekend. Thanks again for your comments, I hope you all have a great run,

Good news for you Stephen - Good luck!

• Met office says 10% chance of rain, 10/11c, feels like 7/8c, 13/14 mph wind SSW to SW. Much prefer that to how it's been this week as it's currently way too hot for me.

Glad you're feeling better Stephen.
  • Wind is only issue lombster.

Are you wearing your wig again this year????

Booked into jamie Oliver restaurant Saturday.

Pizza I thinks???
  • I am wearing a wig this year; a red one this time.

Pasta for me Saturday. I've booked Jamie's for after the run!