Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

Comments

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Evening! Feel  a bit sorry for Mrs Soups, but you have to do the right thing Tim and move out.

I went for the flat option today.  Parked at the gym, ran 3 miles north along the greenway, a 5 mile loop then back to give me 11 miles, then 5 1/2 along the canal, and back.  I'd like to say it was easy but it was hard work after 14 miles for some reason and the last mile was a shuffle. It was about 15 degrees, so I took a litre of water but Couldn't drink any at the end.

• Thanks Reiki... re. your race dilemma - being the queen of caution (!) I'd say plan to go for the more sure 4.15. With the level of experience you have, you could decide to switch once you know what sort of day you're having, or even at that famed halfway mark at 20 miles imageimage.

• Tim fingers crossed you keep a clean bill of health this week.Suggest dust mask to help not breath in germs and disposable gloves. Because this time next week hope your journey will come to a brilliant end.

Had rest today, two weeks till my first marathon April 19th Bungay Marathon. A work mate is also running, in a small field of 200+. No plan just yet,wait to see how your Paris plans work out.Might be a neg, but i normally run even on long runs.

• Marathon list updated

12 April Paris Marathon 

• SupermanRuns
    • Sense
    • Bramster 
    • Karen Murdoch

12 April Brighton Marathon

• Fairyclogs

19 April Manchester Marathon

• Gingermagic 
    • Baldrunnerman
    • Charles Henderson
    • Hans C

19 April Bungay Marathon

• Martin N

26 April - VLM

• Ruffles
    • Buxton Running Bunny
    • SupermanRuns
    • Slow Koala
    • paupau
    • Mr Puffy
    • Angela I
    • Bramster 
    • Sean R
    • neil t
    • Reikirabbit 
    • Charles Henderson
    • Slowkoala
    • Freemers 
    • Fairyclogs

May 4  MK Marathon

• The Running Andy
    • Effillo 
  • Hi Tim, stick me down for VLM as well if you don't mind.  ps thanks very much to you and Chicksta for the kind words was very pleased with how the 20 went in the scheme of things.  Last day in work today before we jet out to Tenerife for some warm weather training, well that's my plan anyway not sure the wife and kids will see it that way!!  I am intending to enjoy myself, but in moderation and get some runs in, just hope it's not too warm but I'm sure I'll manage.

Really like the look of your plan by the way.  Will be making sure I check in on here to see how you get on I'll have everything crossed for you but am sure you'll do fine matey.

Oh and for those of you running Manchester me and the family will be at the water station at about 22 miles I think from memory of last year with my running club buddies so look out for me, not that you actually know what I look like of course!!  However I will give you a shout and hopefully a drink without issu.  I rememer last year they had these water pouches kind of thing that were easy to get into, if you knew what you were doing, but after 22 miles I can remember lots of thirsty frustrated runners smashing them over their heads etc.

Enjoy your final week fo taper all you Paris/Brighton lot and I will look forward to catching up on my return.  Good luck Tim and everyone else.

• Paris weather forecast is currently looking like it will be 18 degrees, sunny with the chance of the odd shower.

Reikirabbit  Hope the yassos go well if you do them. And do you have the knack of picking horses or greyhounds from watching the warm up? These really could be good skills!!!

Fairyclogs Where abouts are you staying in Brighton? The council are today painting some good luck pictures and marathon stuff on some of the walls around the city. Saw one as I arrived at work this morning, it looks excellent. Really adding to what is an excellent marathon. The 15 mile mark is just along from my office and the markings are already there ready for the signs to  go up.

Puffsta Wonder why your run yesterday was a tough one? Maybe you are just a machine who needs hills? You did eat enough I hope? You are the one I can count on to eat well on this thread.

Martin Love small marathons, I have done the North Dorset Village marathon a few times, only 400, its brilliant. Where is Bungay??

I can report we now have a clean bill of health returned to the family, hopefully it was just a 24hr bug thing and that I don't get it.

Todays session 4 of 1M jog, then 1 mile MP, 1 mile brisk, 1mile MP then 3 x strides.

Looking forward to this tonight. Weather is great, evenings are light. What could be better.

• Cross Post Christian will put you down on the updated list.

• Christian Have a great trip to Tenerife buddy. Hope the weather is okay and you get your runs in. Catch up when you are back. image

Marathon list updated

12 April Paris Marathon 

• SupermanRuns
    • Sense
    • Bramster 
    • Karen Murdoch

• Fairyclogs

• Gingermagic 
    • Baldrunnerman
    • Charles Henderson
    • Hans C

19 April Bungay Marathon

• Martin N

26 April - VLM

• Ruffles
    • Buxton Running Bunny
    • SupermanRuns
    • Slow Koala
    • paupau
    • Mr Puffy
    • Angela I
    • Bramster 
    • Sean R
    • neil t
    • Reikirabbit 
    • Charles Henderson
    • Slowkoala
    • Freemers 
    • Fairyclogs
    • Christian B

May 4  MK Marathon

• The Running Andy
    • Effillo 
  • Malcs or anyone who has done Paris. Is it true that you get bottlenecks in the 2nd half of the race, and by bottlenecks I mean quite bad bottlenecks?

• Superman, don't forget I too am running Paris this weekend! I'd love to be in the list too.

Also, can I say wow, to the runners who appear in the Paris list and the VLM list, double header, 2 marathons in 2 weeks!!!! I'm just going to be happy in completing my first marathon this Sundayimageimageimageimage

• I've chickened out of Manchester marathon - concentrating on VLM alone !

Best of luck S'man! Feeling butterflies for all of you already - I'm sure you're all going to smash your targets !
  • Hi Tim so this is it. ‘The week’.

Someone seems to have turned up the thermostat outside. But hey, we only worry about the things we can control!

The race strategy looks good and Sam has tailored it well for you. I notice that your steady run was a bit ‘steadier’ that the generic plan that had me shuffling round 10 miles at 8.30m/m pace on Saturday. But job done and the countdown is well and truly on.

We’ve had the lurgy in our house over the weekend. Diagnosis for other half and the youngest is a norovirus, real nasty stuff – it’s gonna be a tense few days as it’s highly contagious and I’ve been nursing them through it.

Gingermagic, good to hear you are in shape for Manchester

I’m with Fairyclogs at Brighton on Sunday and will also be trying to tag onto the 3.30 pacers.

Current forecast is sunny, 12c, SW wind at 4 mph.

Heading down there on Friday to pick up race pack etc

Tim, any final tips on Brighton regarding race congestion, bottlenecks?

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

All getting very exciting for Tim and the rest of the Paris crew, and Fairyclogs at Brighton.  Bet you all can't wait for the weekend to come.  Hopefully the weather will stay kind - not too much warmer, but staying dry I hope.

Struggling to catch up on the thread....but just a quick report, 21 mile last LSR done on Sunday, so at least I am now tapering. Mind you I did a pretty swift tempo today, 5 miles at average 7.05 pace and quite a bit of it was sub 7, so not sure if that really is tapering.

We are off on holiday to Cumbria/North Pennines on Thursday for 10 days...hope I can get online to check the results image

• Hey Superman I am coming down by train and staying at a hostel in Richmond Place. This worked well last year being in a 6 bedded  room with other runners. I am usually hyper before a race so don't sleep well anyway. It is great being able to cook/reheat my own pasta meal in the evening and not worry about eating out. 

B K CAnter Look forward to seeing you in Brighton. I will be wearing my fairyclogs vest so come and say hello and maybe we can motivate each other. It is not too congested at Brighton so quite easy to follow the pacers. The first mile is the worst doing a hilly lap round the outskirts of park but then it spreads out.

Freemers Excitement is definitely setting in helped by this glorious weather. Hope you have a fabulous holiday and return raring to go in London.

• Freemers Nice running. Very good LSR all done and now as you say the tapering. Sam made a very interesting comment on tapering which is it is a reduction in volume not necessarily intensity so your tempo run today was fine. A number of people had expressed concern/knowledge that my last weeks sessions were too, shall we say hard. But they weren't, the overall miles run had been reduced but you need to stay sharp with some of the tempo/reps etc. Have a great holiday, looks like the weather is going to be good. Are you travelling around or staying in one place? 

BK Canter Hopefully you are able to stay virus free and make it to the weekend in tact!! My advice to anyone doing Brighton is to get your bags on board the lorries and into your pen's at a reasonable time and to get to the  front your pen. Brighton has had a history of poor marshalling at the start and there is a real mix of people in the pen's from those who should be there to those who should not and those who really should know better. What exacerbates this is the fact that it is tight start. It is a bottle neck for the 1st mile and care should be heeded. Idiots try and run through you and take care on the hill immediately you leave the park to your left.

I would recommend you run in the middle of the road to give yourself the most room. I would also say take care on the sharp hill down at the opposite corner of the park. You will notice on this downhill that there is, on your left, the 1st real opportunity for a pee break, in the trees. So many people just veer left without checking and Ive seen numerous falls etc. 

You will be fine from then on as it is run on nice wide roads. No other real bottle necks to speak off apart from circa 8 miles when you turn in land again. Here the the runners ahead of you are coming back to the sea and this road is not exceptionally wide. You just get the odd idiot when you do a sharp turn back on yourselves heading to the sea try and steal a yard or two. 

Its a great course, maybe a bit soul less out by the power station miles 18 to 22  but the rest of it makes up for it. 

• Thanks Sam! After the progression 10 this Sunday I will know what to do, but I too prefer to enjoy rather than to suffer, and to have a plan rather than to hope.

I had a fab blast at the 30-20-10s this morning early before camp, didn't do the Yassos which would have been a very long session, & I had 292 emails on top of the camp to handle, dodge etc. Knee didn't hurt today, what's going on?

This is now gettng into my weather, fantastic.

Puffsta I'm wondering where you pick the Greenway up? I'm on it a lot, mainly to get to the Olympic Park at the moment, although my house to Beckton Park and back is a HM!

Super I dunno, have never tried it with dogs or horses. See what you're saying though and could do with retiring as the physios have bitten the dust today already as a a casualty of time.
  • SupermanRuns wrote (see)

Malcs Spot on about feeling perkyier in the morning light, I definitely felt much more sprightly and alive yesterday morning. I had used up most of my energy on Thursday and could see nothing to be gained from going out then. I got a message from Gareth yesterday saying hello etc. I had forgotten it was a year earlier last year, so you were there and preparing a year ago! How time flies. 

Bramster Great to hear from you buddy. And a big well done on your HM PB and also on your recovery. Cant have been easy having such a hard dose of Manflu so to have PB'd during this campaign is excellent. 

Might have to get every London runner to post up their starting colour in case they dont get to the bench for a meet up???

Ruth I have a shopping list for all my last minute essential food purchases. Some of my food is already purchased, such as weetabix, jaffa cakes, raisons.  I was going to replicate the previous carb load strategy, do you agree?  Also what should i be eating on the Friday. As normal? I recall a discussion about maybe a different Friday night meal? Can you advise? 

Martin Was there a game yesterday.  image       Pace and width the difference yesterday. Biggest playing surface in the championship and to contain you we played narrow until Redmond was unleashed to go wide. Massive difference in squad depth to be able to achieve that. You are certainly ready for the premiership. Nice running there too!! And like SK, over the years, I know and have used pretty much all the local toilets with vary degrees of urgency. image

Slowkoala Really pleased to hear no further tendon problems. Enjoy your long Easter Sunday run, bet it will be nice to have Dad for company. Hope the weather is nice in the dales. image 

Has anyone got a nice Sunday Roast planned? If only for me.......

Reikirabbit How were the light winds with you? Tui Na enjoyable? 

Tim,

Sorry not been on thread since weekend but family life took over!

I never thought  I would say this about someones wife - but keep her in quarantine!!!

Start carb load at fridays evening meal (that means also the supper snack on Friday) then full carb load on Saturday.

Canny belive it is almost here!

Great reminder/list of who is doing what marathon.

Ruth

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Different greenway I think RR, mine is the old railway line from Connah's Quay on the North Wales coast through Chester to a village called Guilden Sutton image

Glad  your wife's feeling better Tim.  I dunno what went wrong yesterday, I feel bloody sore today though, bit worried. Need a pie I think!

Taper madness, cleaning and polishing the cooker on a Monday night...

• Tim Bungay is about 20 miles south of Norwich just into Suffolk.The route is a loop from Bungay to Beccles and back twice. It's run by the Bungay Black Dog Running Club.Country lanes and ups and downs.

Steady 6 miles tonight @8.28 with climbs.As usual had to ease my self back off the gas after glancing at watch.Intervals tomorrow 400m unleash the beast!

• Reikirabbit I think there could be a future on this prediction lark. And you do like a bit of the sun eh? Hope you have got your preferred strategy sorted now after Sam's advice. 

Puffsta I reckon you deserve a pie. What would be your pie of choice though? My top 3 would be  1. Chicken and ham. 2. Steak & ale. 3. Chorizo and cheese. mmmmm!!! Hope the soreness has gone soon.

Ruth Thanks for the advice. Mrs J is currently in quarantine although feeling much better and asking to be released. 

Martin Bungay sounds like a very tough one indeed!!! Well done on your steady miles tonight, Take care of unleashing the beast. Has a different meaning where I am from. image

Todays session was 4miles 1M jog 1M HM pace 1M brisk 1M half marathon pace 3 x strides.

Wore full marathon kit to just make sure all was good. splits were as follows:

Plus the strides. 

Lovely to be running in the gorgeous weather which was today. The kit felt excellent and I was imagining myself on the streets of Paris. Not too long now!!! 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sorry, time has evaporated today.

Tim - great to see you looking forward to the trip, it will be awesome!

The course did narrow at a few points in the second half I seem to recall but it wasn't too bad for congestion - certainly better than London. You'll be fine I'm sure.

Stick me down for Great Welsh Marathon on the 19th image

• Thanks Malcs, clearly I dont need to adjust my strategy.

Marathon list updated

12 April Paris Marathon 

• SupermanRuns
    • Sense
    • Bramster 
    • Karen Murdoch

• Fairyclogs
    • BK Canter

• Gingermagic 
    • Baldrunnerman
    • Hans C

19 April Bungay Marathon

• Martin N

19 April Great Welsh Marathon

• Malcs 

26 April - VLM

• Ruffles
    • Buxton Running Bunny
    • SupermanRuns
    • Slow Koala
    • paupau
    • Mr Puffy
    • Angela I
    • Bramster 
    • Sean R
    • neil t
    • Reikirabbit 
    • Charles Henderson
    • Slowkoala
    • Freemers 
    • Fairyclogs
    • Christian B

May 4  MK Marathon

• The Running Andy
    • Effillo 
  • Puffsta - That would expain it.

Off for an Aquajog now before camp....will decide finally at the weekend Super but am respecting and loving the advice, and the runs in this weather!!
  • Soups! The countdown is on...hope you are flying around in excitement! I have been struck down with the lurgy (maybe what Mrs Soups had?) and have been in bed all Easter weekend.  It's been made more miserable by the fab weather.  It makes me realise how much of my free time I spend running and cycling as as soon as I couldn't do either I was proper bored! So I have been reading running books instead.

After another week of no LSR I am just going to have fun an VLM and enjoy it for the festival of happy runners that it is.  My PB mara campaign can wait until the Autumn I think - when I definitely will not have honeymoons and flu to thwart me!

I can't wait to hear how you get on this weekend.  I loved Paris.  Just don't be tempted to be on your feet too much the day before!

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Martin - what will you be wearing in Bungay?  I like to watch the full marathoners go through the half way point as us HM'ers are waiting for the start - you know, an encouraging shout of "only one lap to go!" image. So if I spot you you can expect a Freemers cheer! Assuming you go through in less than two hours that is, which is when the half starts image

OMG there is a reason I don't do 400m intervals - did 12 of the buggers this morning and nearly died by the end.  And that last one was only just inside 90 seconds so hardly in Malcs league....but quicker than I did the same session a year ago so that's good. 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

OMG, the excitement is building image

And Malcs is doing a spring marathon image

How are you feeling, Tim? I hope you managed to keep the missus nicely quarantined image I like those 'dress rehearsal' runs. I would have preferred if you'd have done the run in your Superman caped socks though image

Nice intervals, Freemers image

Just an easy 10k for me this morning. Did a tempo(ish) run last night (7 miles with 5k fast) and legs still felt it. I set off at 6:58 pace as I was chasing down another runner in the distanceimage ....  caught her and created a bit of a wake-turbulence but then I died a bit and finished the tempo part with 7:10 average. Still quite delighted actually - it's my HM PB pace image

• Jeez this thread is so quick! Soups, I do remember getting nervous about those 15/16 mile runs aye! Now they are almost 'easy'. Have a good taper mate and get to that start line lurgy free! I'm excited for you, I'll be glued to every social media outlet Sunday morning and looking for TV coverage online.

It's great to see that list of marathons, its almost time! image

BK, cheers mate. I think I'll be able to squeeze under 3.30, quietly confident. Good luck at Brighton! Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Afternoon, bloody annoying to read about French Air Traffic Control, what a week to pick!!!

Very excited though, I can't wait to be sat in front of Eurosport on sunday with a massive Pie cheering you on Tim & Co.

Off to see physio tonight to repair any damage done on Monday, hopefully all will ok after a good pummel and stretch.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ruffles - sorry to hear about you having to downgrade VLM. At least you take all the pressure off now. It's an awesome marathon to just go out and run comfortably. 

Your Autumn attempt will probably be all the better for not knocking yourself out in the Spring.

Freemers - lol, you know you love those 400s reallyimage I did 10 lots of them yesterday and not a single one was under 90 secs. Just shows what a difference it makes doing them in a group track session. 

I don't think it helps being in the middle week of taper either.

Anyway, nice going!

chicksta - wow, excellent tempo run! That's awesome hitting PB HM pace - no wonder you were delighted. Are we seeing signs of the chicksta of old starting to reappear? image

chicksta wrote (see)

And Malcs is doing a spring marathon image

lol image Shhh, don't say it too loud, the marathon demon jinxsters may hear!

Anyway, I only entered it, I didn't say I'd run it!

I'm just planning to wander up to the start line (in full kit of course) - only to see what's what though. You know, check out the lay of the land and the like. Then I'll just loiter for a bit and see what happens when the gun goesimage

Gingermagic - great to hear you sounding confident, you definitely should be! How is the taper going?

Puffsta - can it be true? You've invented a pie that cheers? Praise be to the Lord! image

Sadly I will only be sitting with Mrs Malcs but I can get her to dress as a pie as an act of solidarity.image

Hope the physio goes well!

Tim - one more full day to go. How many times have you packed and re-packed now? Come on admit it, you're in double-figures aren't you?image

• Puffsta Hope the physio has given you a good pummel and stretch and it has gone okay buddy??  And thanks for the reminder about Eurosport, need to tape that! 

Gingermagic Thanks fella, I have avoided the lurghy thus far and aim to continue this. I wasnt able to reach for my cheeky whisky this week, my normal anti lurghy approach!!

Chicksta Nice running there, especially that tempo run, someone is finding some excellent form there! No wonder you are delighted with that, its brilliant!! Mrs Soups is out of quarantine and back in the game. Caped socks all ready for the 2mile Saturday run in Paris. image

Freemers Excellent reps there, well done. Nice to have a benchmark over last year and see the improvement!! 

Ruffles Who knows, maybe you will relax enjoy VLM and run a good time, but the best thing is you are not beating yourself up over it. I hope you take care and are recovered soon. What books were you reading out of interest?

reikirabbit how was the aquajog??

So today I went for the pre marathon haircut. I wanted to make sure i was mentally prepared for it. I got up early and had a pre haircut breakfast, needed to make sure I had suitable nutrition on board. I also wanted to make sure i was hydrated, in case there was no offer of a haircut coffee. Glad i did as there was no sign of a coffee or water or pop on offer. And limited magazine choice also. 

I am glad i had decided on my hair strategy and got it straight in my mind so there was no messing when he asked what I wanted. Grade 1 round the bottom, leading into a grade 2 and then thinned and trimmed on top. Simple but effective. 

I was planning my last minute shopping items whilst he whistled and he cut. Periodically asking me how my training had gone and was I confident. Not sure I had planned or catered for all possible scenarios as there was a strange silence when he asked me did I want something for the weekend and i replied, 'yes please vaseline'   

Anyway, despite the awkward finish, I left happy with my marathon cut exactly what I wanted. 

Now onto the packing!!