working at it slowly

Comments

• Afternoon

Sullen grey and chilly here image  Bleedin' coastal weather image but was still good and added another 27 miles on the bike..........idea bringing me to 112 in 3 days (iron distance) image

Bad news is if I do IMA at that speed they'll can me at the first bike cut off image

12 weeks to go  - eek!!! image

Bath now image

Laters

• Wow, Podds, 112 miles in 3 days sounds pretty impressive to me. Maybe you need to speed up a wee bit for the IM, but you do still have 12 weeks image

Yeah, Daffs, you're right, I just ramble on. But it's like chatting with friends, I just can't do it in half a dozen short sentences! image

And if the sun was shining on you, you're lucky----cold and grey here. Oh well, yesterday was fab, and next weekend it might even get to 20 C!!!

• 12 weeks?!!! 

7.5 miles run in glorious sunshine in a t shirt and 3/4 bottoms image

starlings are having a late bath and the sparrows are singing 

• Aww, Chuggy, so sorry to hear that we will miss each other again.  We are staying in the De Doelen (Ithink that's what it's called).

Fantastic pedalling Podds.  I couldn't do 112 miles in three days at the moment.  

Hope all goes well on Wednesday Sluggie. What exactly are you having done?

Yums, can I ask why your Buddhist teacher was texting you at 2am?

I see from FB that XB has been fairly local to me at Saltaire and Bingley Five Rise Locks (Leeds Liverpool canal).  

We've had a lovely day  The weather has been fantastic this last couple of days. This morning we picked up a couple of friends and went to a car boot sale.  We drove over Ilkley Moor in glorious sunshine but down in the valleys there was a thick white mist.  Then we came back to ours and I made an impromptu buffet lunch and we had an Easter Egg hunt in the garden.  To say there wasn't a child amongst us there was a very competitive hunt between four of us image  We finished off with a walk around Oakwell Hall (which was featured in 'Shirley' by Charlotte Bronte) with the dogs.

• Dr DaffsDr Daffs ✭✭✭

I was going to ask the same FP - texting at 2am doesn't seem very buddist!

Gosh podds, that's some proper cycling there lass! And of course you'll be faster on the day - there's the threat of cutoff for a start, and you won't have to start from cold 3 times!

aw chuggs lass, i wasn't telling you off image I love it that you take such time and care to respond to all of us individually, it's so thoughtful and lovely of you image I know we all appreciate it! And rely heavily on your conprehensive updates when we've been away, of course. I was just teasing, didn't mean any harm, don't be sad image I've gone over the cut off thingy myself in the past - mostly just waffling on about myself...

Lovely day here image Worked this morning, then a lovely sunny walk in the woods wih Mr Cheery to a nice cafe image and then sitting in the garden in bare feet with a lolly ice! image Excellent fun. And now knitting in front of the last of pride and prejudice image

Work tomorrow, but only for 2 days befoee i'm off up to Scottieland image hardly seems worth the bother... image

• Nights for me tonight and a quick swing tomorrow, 1800-0200 .... Then on Wednesday night we have a swim session booked. ...... In an open air pool.

i may need a check up from the neck up

• YumsYums ✭✭✭

Morningimage 

Yay, well cycled, Podds image 

FP, love the sound of your adult Easter egg huntimage  Think the WAISTer invites have been delayed in the post due to the bank holibobss cos mine didn't arriveimage  

Chuggy, a cafe with good stuff and fab cakes? Why didnt you say sooner?image 

12 weeks until the ironing is done, m....eldy?

Daffy, the sun shines on the righteous, apparently but id like the southern softie sun back now pleaseimage  

Was briefly lovely here until I got my bike out. Somewhat chilly ride with chum. Not a shorts and mitts day but I only found that out after I wore them. New bike is spritely and easy to ride, if perhaps a little firm.

• YumsYums ✭✭✭

Ah yes,  the Buddhist teacher text. No idea why he text at that time. He asked me to host this week's meeting. My phone is usually off but following the bike thefts I've kept it on vibrate at night

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Evening,

Chuggy, I second Daffy's comments, your posts are always appreciated as it is easy to see the thought behind them.

Sounds as if peeps have had generally  good days, which is always nice to hear.

We went to bff's for afternoon tea with some mutual friends, was warm enough to sit in the garden, even if I did still have my winter woolies on (bff was in summer frock, it takes more than 20C to get me out of my jumpers!).

FP, I'm having another trial of the Spinal Cord Stumulator, last year's trial left me undecided and there were technical problems so the neurosurgeon agreed to have another go. I'm not expecting miracles, just hoping I will get enough information to make a confident decision about whether to go ahead with the permanent implantation.

We have to be at MIL's around 8.30 tomorrow morning which, for me these days, is virtually sparrow's fart! I will leave MS with his mum and take SM out for coffee, then go back for MS. That's it for a while for me with MIL as I won't be able to drive for a while and cannot lift, bend, twist or reach while the lead is in place so won't be able to be with MIL on my own. We had a happy hour looking at old photo's yesterday, they prompted a few stories image.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xx

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    What a fan-bloody-tastic day image

Up & out at 8:30 for an 8 miles run, knees ok but felt shattered back & straight in the garden for a good few hours, then up the pub for a couple with my work mate image great day!
  • Morning

Where is everyone?

Typically the sun is shining for the first time in the morning for ages and I'm...........at work.........  However am not intending to stay all day (if things work out right) so may get a bit of sun this afternoon if it holds image

Laters

• Awww, poor Podds, at work AND all alone in the lounge image Well, I envy your sunshine, anyway, and hope you get away from work early. They owe you some hours!!

Sluggie, lovely that things with bff are back to normal. Sounded like she just had a lot on her plate. And mega-vibes for tomorrow! Really hope the thing produces some real pain relief; but as you said what you need most is a clear outcome. And glad you had such a nice time with MIL: sharing memories is the best thing we can do for them. xx

Yums, I DID think of you when I saw the cakes on Sunday image You come over here, I'll take you to the place! The new bike sounds very promising, but you are in the same situation as here: looks warm, but isn't. I've been caught out several times. I now take winter gear. As to texting at 2 am, your teacher is certainly a devoted organiser. Or maybe just an insomniac!

Melds, a night shift followed by open-air swimming?!? Wow, they don't call you an Ironman for nothing, do they? I can not IMAGINE getting into cold open water at this point in the year! 

Daffs, sounds like a perfect day: walk in the woods, nice cafe, knitting, P&P---what else could anyone want? And where you going in Scottieland? Is it for work? 

FP, just had a look---De Doelen looks really nice, and it's in a great location. You can walk to everything. Wish we could see you....if you like the hotel, maybe you'll come back! image Loved the Easter egg hunt, too: you do NOT have to be a kid! I was thinking of doing one for us, but we've been out both Easter days (unusually). Next year...

Spence, 8 miles, garden and pub sounds like an excellent way to spend a day too! image

Don't worry about my gabbing, I'm a lawyer so brevity is beyond me.... image Yesterday's brunch was really lovely, so relaxed (and I didn't have to cook!!!). 4 k done this morning, lovely! Misty and chilly, perfect chugging weather. Mr C has just hoovered the house so now I get to clean the bathrooms and mop the floors. Marital bliss....image Happy days, all---isn't it nice when it feels like Monday but there are only 2 more days til Friday? xxx

• DLDL ✭✭✭

Morning

Misty and mysterious here. I went to bed feeling as if my cold were on the way out and have woken up a little husky - and I don't mean the canine kind. Round two of the cold involved vein unable to breathe or talk -  OH will be happy!

~~~~~~~Sluggy~~~~ hope the rewire goes well

Yay to those of you who took advantage of the good weather to practice for iron men, run, ride and do other exercisey type stuff. I spent the day stripping. One of those DIY tasks that you think is great for the first hour, hours 2-4 you just want to get it over, by hours 5-7 you're realising that a day isn't going to do it and wishing you'd never started.

Working from home today - so hoping it's a quiet one.

Happy sparkly, if rather short, new week - hope it brings good things

• YumsYums ✭✭✭

Morningimage 

Oh DL, you do know how to make OH happy. How long do you think she'll leave it before she phones the Docs bout you laryngitis?image  

Chuggy, one day maybe I'll get to take you up on the cake offerimage Glad you managed to dodge the cookingimage  Dunno about looking forward to Fridays now as I'm a full time worker now. Thank goodness I have Easter to break me in gently

I was expecting PC Bush to visit but she's blown me out. Much excitement for me as from what my neighbour says, she may be a friend of Dorothy. Made me realise I'm still in the market for ms right. If only she'd show up! 

Hrumph 

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Afternoon,

What a shame that the lesbanian PC didn't show up Yums image You deserve someone to treat you well.

DL, I suspect your GP surgery is going to booked solidly for months on end, according to your OH image

Glad that peeps have been able to take advantage of the sunshine - but an OW swim is still barking!

Yums, at least there are a few BHols on the next month or so.

It's much cooler here today than yesterday but still bright and sunny. Slept badly last night and was at MIL's by 8.30 this morning. Took SM out for coffee but, rather than enjoying the sunshine, we had to sort out a replacement credit card for her, her previous one having been swallowed by a hole-in-the wall yesterday. She popped in to say Hello to MIL when we picked MS up to go home.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

• Oh Sluggie, how annoying. Credit card replacements can take ages, glad you got it sorted so quickly. 

((((DL))) Hope your voice soon returns to its normal commanding yodel---laryngitis can be surprisingly tiring if you have to whisper all the time! 

Yums, wot Sluggie said. You deserve the best! BTW, when is your friend coming back from Oz for a visit? Wasn't that in here somewhere? 

• YumsYums ✭✭✭

Bummer bout SM having her card swallowed and making you miss out on the sunshine. Nice for her to be able to pop in and see MiL thoughimage 

Chuggy, chums messaged earlier this arvo to say she's leaving for the airport in a few hours. We're planning to meet up on 17th. Apparently another chum had arranged for us to tag along on the lezzas group meal and then on for a knees up. Oh gawdimage 

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Hello image Another super sunny day image 2 hour doggie walk means Dotty Dog is snoring image

Did PC bush turn up Yums!?
  • Evening All

Are you all sitting down............I have actually run today image

6 1/2 miles - the 1st mile along the beach and the rest cross country....does make me realise that Plannitt Ffannitt does have its advantages image  The beach on the door step (quite literally on windy days!!) being one of them image

I have also swimbled this evening.......... but safely indoors oh yes, no outdoors for me no siree..........although some of the club hit the sea at the weekend - minimum time managed was 10 seconds up to a lordly 10 minutes for a couple of tough ladies image

Sluggie - fingers crossed that everything goes well tomorrow and that they can at least fix the electrode this time so that it doesn't go wandering off in search of fun elsewhere!  do let us know how you get on when you are able to

**waves to everyone** - across the sea at Yumbly and Chuggy and inland to the rest of you image

Bed now - spin booked at 7am tomorrow.......how good am I doing that on an unofficial school day image

Sweet dreams

• TubsterrTubsterr ✭✭✭

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Sluggy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

((((((( waisters ))))))))

• Evening/morning team   image

Twas indeed a beautiful day .. I missed most of it by being asleep, conscious that I had to be up at a reasonable hour to come back to work I actually did manage to get an hour sat on the terrace (how very grand) in the sun with the GPO stalking anything that moved

May finish at 0200 rather than 0300 tonight and grab an extra hour if I can.

Podds, highly commendable on the run and the spin ... I am hoping to get a few sunny hours on the road bike this week

Nice to know DL has woken up with a husky ... I always thought she was going to the dogs

Yums, I take it no trace of the other bike?  That'll be dumped somewhere I reckon, I'd go and have a look in the general area of where you saw the yoofs and look 'round the back' of places.  if they hadnt sold them on and were jsut larking about with them then thats the likely scenario IMO

Chuggy, lucky you getting the good jobs eh ?!   How is Monty getting on with his training these days ?  Is he still eating visitors?!

• morning

Lots of activity going on here, makes me feel guilty!!!

For some reason I've fallen out of love with running, in fact been feeling very blurgh.  So took the tip of doing something I want to do and joined the gym.  First kettles class last week and I couldn't walk for 3 days!!!  going tonight for my proper induction before I do myself a training plan.  I'm hoping I will get back to running at some point.

Easter has been quite eventful, nan was here for 3 weeks, all going well then she got really ill.  Last week I was literally a "carer" and I have to say hats off to those people who do it every day.  I found it extremely difficult.  She was very confused, couldn't even get out of bed, fluid and food was very difficult to get her to take.  Shes back home now and the nurse has been out and doing tests.  My fear is she has dementia.  We wait and see.

Harry went missing over the weekend too, he was at my friends Snaunty had brought her dog on holiday and I wasn't sure they would get on.  Anyway, Harry escaped somehow, went missing for 24hrs then mooched back to her house and went to sleep on her bed.  Little sod!  He's now at home like nothing has happened!

Did manage to go out and have fun with family over Easter too.  Monday was spent, getting them back to stoke and putting my house back in order.

Think some of my lack of energy is because work is extremely stressful at the moment, its one problem after another.  But summer is deffo on its way so I need to start enjoying it.

Right better get myself to the hell hole of work.

• DLDL ✭✭✭

Morning

~~~~~~~Sluggy~~~~~ hope it all goes well today

Snaily - sounds like your life is as busy and as stressful as ever. (((((Snaily nan)))))

Podds - very impressed with your activity levels

Yums - hope you manage to connect with PC Bush today

I don't have laryngitis - more like the Barry White syndrome.

Last night I rehoused a frog - never a dull moment

The mother of OH arrives today for a couple of nights - I am girding my loins

Happy sunshiny Wednesday

• +++++++++++++++SLUGGIE+++++++++++ wot Podds said

((((DL)))) cos in-law visits are such fun image

((((Snaily))) Caring is utterly exhausting. My cousin (now in his 80's) has been a full-time carer for his disabled wife for 20 years---I don't know how he copes. Hope the tests on nan are reassuring. And good on the gym: if you hate running right now, don't do it! You can always come back to it later. Sorry about work, but the NHS is not a happy bus just now, is it? Most of all, be nice to yourself: your last year or two have had every major life stressor known to man, no wonder you're tired!! xxxx

Meldy, sitting out on the terrace? Sounds like the new house is definitely a good place to be image Yes, Monty still gets excited by visitors (he probably always will) but he now knows to go to his bed (which is closed off with a sturdy baby gate!) until he settles down. Lots of ball games help too: physical fatigue is very soothing image

Podds, running, swimming and spinning all in 24 hours??? Hats off. ma'am, definitely an Ironman here! imageimage How's the DG getting on now? Has the wound healed?

Spence, could you shove a bit of that sunshine over here? It's grey, misty and cold: feels like Sinterklaas, not bliddy spring!!!

Yums, nice to think of seeing your friend so soon, but I hope you manage to get some proper time with her, not just swilling around in crowds!!

Studying this morning, several trips into the village by bike this afternoon I think---I have two big saddlebags, but even so there are limits to how much I can get into them! image Happy days all. xxx

• Morning All

Spin spun - although I have to say my quads were pretty tired after yesterday's perambulations image  Work now then pump and balance this evening image

Tomorrow I am playing hooky (shoooshhhh) and going out on the bike with some friends.......problem being they are all way fitter, faster and better at going up hills than I am..............

At this rate I'll be going on a hollibobs for a rest, not more training image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Sluggie~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DL wrote (see)

I don't have laryngitis - more like the Barry White syndrome.

Oh DL - gone all sexy on us have you? image

Snaily - quite right to do what you want to do......not what you feel you should. Also don't estimate the effect of a social life on running!!! Hope Nan is feeling better........I too take my hat off to carers - I cannot imagine anything worse image

Chuggy - Monty sounds bright as a button if he's now learning about bed before visitors image  What an absolutely sweetie he sounds image

The DG seems fully healed now thankfully and is actually being really naughty at the moment image which is not like him - think he has spring fever image  They have Mother Podds in charge next week and then we are back to the vets for Sharkey's old fart MOT and vaccinations and the DG's latest lymph nodes check.......fingers crossed for that 

Oh Yums - 9 sleeps..........and hope you find your bush today image

Right - work calls.......

Laters

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~Sluggie~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blimey Podds, get you!! Did you, dare I ask, enjoy the run!?

Snaily, caring is a tough & very undervalued job....hope nan improves

Another beautiful morning here image
  • Parts of it Spence !!!!

Don't want to go overboard with too much enthusiasm but I have to say I've always enjoyed running along the beach and appreciate how lucky I am to be able to do this literally on my door step image

• morning all!!

haven't had chance to stick my nose in the waister lounge for ages

Hope everyone is well - I haven't got a chance of catching up after all this time

my summary - work going well, but so busy!! Got promoted to 2nd in dept (starting sept) so the move was definitely the right one for me 

ran the Barcelona half - tough race, enjoyed the rest of Feb half term out there image

have been suffering with colds etc more or less since then, but have been trying to get some consistency back into life over the easter hols - but I go back on Monday so not long left. Swimming going well, getting the running/plodding back on track, cycling not so good and I have some triathlons coming up - oops, well, whatever will be will be, all in all life is good

• Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭

Hi everyone image  Sorry I've been so absent - not being able to run has been a bit of an emotional challenge for me particularly as the weather has improved recently!

Hope you all had a nice long weekend over Easter even if you didn't have any more time off work.  We got given 3 extra days by the University so I had a week off resting at home which was delightful - interrupted only by a trip to see MrC's aunt (the one with lung cancer) and her cousin who has been recently diagnosed with asbestosis; and my parents visiting us - with my mum anxious about her cataract surgery which went very successfully this morning. 

I've had x-rays done on hips and knees and they show that the situation with my right knee (first dislocation and surgery 20+ years ago) appears to have worsened.  I'm waiting to have an MRI scan done so that we know the full picture and can get advice / make decisions.

The pain is better since I gave up running and reorientated myself back to swimming and I'm enjoying the swimming a lot. 

We have an outdoor (unheated) 50m pool near us which is due to open for the summer on 1st May and I am thinking about getting a wetsuit so that I can enjoy swimming in it - do the triathletes out there have any advice / guidance on wetsuit purchase and what it's like swimming in cold water?  I'm very inexperienced as I have almost exclusively swam in heated pools and warm open water.  Thanks!

Hmm, just been interrupted by colleagues so apologies for the poor train of thought in this post and not having been able to read back.  Really hope you're all well and running miles and miles in my absence...!

• Evening. No gym as I only got home half an hour ago. annoyed

Tomorrow ive blocked my diary out from 4pm which says GO TO THE GYM!

I can't wait for the weekend, I'm having 2'days selfish days to myself!