Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

Comments

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

lol - love it! image

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Very good Tim, I'm a 2 and a 3 but I'm not sure I'm going into my Turkish barber this side of London, I am on taper illness watch now.  A girl in the next office sneezed earlier and all my colleagues looked at me waiting for me to go and deliver my coughs and sneezes lecture.

Physio went well, she went over my itb and one of my calves and had a look at my stiff neck too, very good value.

Who else travels in their race shoes? I always think if there is one thing you absolutely cannot do without, it's your shoes.  You could run in your undies if you absolutely had to, but forget or lose your shoes, what can you do?

• lol! 

Malcs, I don't really feel like the taper has begun yet mate. I did 10x400's yesterday as well and my legs are knackered today. I did an easy 6 earlier and it took me ages to settle in to it. So I'm kind of looking forward to the taper. Any targets for your marathon mate?

• Malcs I reckon I will struggle to get a sub 3.30 hrs bag packing in!!image  I am into my 6th attempt. You know it so well. image

• Tim (and everyone else running a marathon over the next weekend) good luck guys image

Currently at Gatwick in my way to Lanzarote, so hope to be able to keep up with the forum over there, but just in case...

I have downloaded the Paris Marathon App and have Tim and Sense on my favourites.

It's been great following this thread and been great motivation for my training - go smash those PB's and I'll see you on the other side image
  • Yo yoyo!!! Wanted to pop on to echo my good luck wishes for the folks running Paris and Brighton this weekend.  Do us proud!! Have a great race and remember- trust in the training image 

• Seems I'm having an unplanned rest week! After a rather unusual club run on Good Friday, across freshly ploughed fields, I think I have done something to my foot...

I still did run parkrun on Saturday and then tried to do a LSR on Sunday but 9 miles in I had to stop as my foot and lower calf were hurting. Rested, iced, compressed and elevated for the last 3 days, planned to go out for a short run last night as foot felt fine but as soon as I put my running shoes on I got a twinge feeling, probably just in my mind but still decided another day or two of rest is probably best! I'll put my trainers on again tonight and stand in the garden deciding what to do! 

And things had been going so well... I blame my wife, who pointed out I have 13 medals! DOOMED NOW...

Good luck to the Paris bunch this weekend. SupermanRuns, I look forward to your race report. I see you smashing it with a very strong finish. 

• Glad you were well prepped for the haircut Tim...and made it through!

Andy - hope the foot gets better.

Malcs- love the nonchalance about your marathon...just saunter down and see what amazing time you can smash out eh?!

Still recovering from this cold/flu... but am glad I have taken the pressure off on the marathon front.  Tim- am reading "Feet in the Clouds" at the mo - love the idea of fell running - those runners are a little crazy though!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mr P - you are so right re. the trainers, although running in your undies is surely one set of race photos none of us would be ordering framed copies ofimage 

Maybe better to play completely safe and travel in full kit? image

Good luck with the cold avoidance. I was on the train yesterday and ended up pulling my jacket up over my face. 

Gingermagic - that's great to hear. Try and keep it that way - if you can get through taper without realising you're doing it then all the better I say!

For once I don't have a specific target time. I'm using this race as a sighter for a sub 3 attempt in October. So my plan is simple - go off at sub 3 pace and see how far I can get before things start to go pear shaped. 

If that happens to be at 26.2 miles then that would be amazing. However, I won't be surprised if I get so far and either have to slow down or end up completely bonking out. 

Sub 3:30 is clearly your main aim but are you tempted to go a bit quicker?

Sean - have an awesome time at your warm weather training camp (we all know you're not going for a holidayimage )

Angela - wise words as always image

Andy - don't panic! If it didnt come on suddenly then it could be that something has just tightened up. I've had so many of these things over the years. Puts the frighteners on you and you rest completely only to find it gets worse. 

I remember doing one of my early marathons and limping to the start line with a foot twinge only to find that it got better as the race went on. 

If it's on the bottom of your foot try rolling on a hard ball. Otherwise try some massage and heat if it's not swollen. Reiki will be on soon to tell you to get off the ice unless there is swellingimage 

You have loads of time to sort this out. Best of luck. 

Ruffles - cold and flu are the evilest of evil! You'll come back great though I know it. By VLM you'll feel much more like your former self - maybe a little under trained but you will at least be well rested.

SupermanRuns wrote (see)

Malcs I reckon I will struggle to get a sub 3.30 hrs bag packing in!!image  I am into my 6th attempt. You know it so well. image

lol - don't worry about that, there's only one sub 3:30 you need to focus on. I bet today will be a struggle for you. Are you working or did you take the day off? Working is probably the better option to take your mind off things.

Good luck for this evening's final sealing of the suitcase!

• Cheers Malcs, I'm not at the panic stage yet, still awhile before my marathon and I've get some good training in already, more annoyed at the moment.

On a positive note I don't think it's anything too serious didn't start hurting till hours after the run! and the parkrun I did the day after the foot pain didn't stop me from running a PB image. Think the main thing is it's obviously causing my to change my running style which is in turn using my lower calf more and that can't cope with the longer miles.

The pain is more to the inner side of the foot, between the ankle and the arch! isn't painful to the touch and no marks or anything! seems a very odd place, having google'd it (as you do) I could find any common injuries in this area from running...

I will lay off the ice, don't like the stuff anyway, it's too cold, mainly I have been compressing and resting anyway. 

• Time has come!!!!

Very best of luck, Tim! Buena suerte!!!

I know you will be busy enjoying Paris tomorrow and on Saturday so I want to send you my best wishes for Sunday now.

I am more than sure that you will cross the finish line with flying colours and that you will enjoy every moment of that sub 3.30 marathon that is waiting for you and for which you have work so hard. Now it's time to enjoy!!!

It has been really great to go through your journey with such a positive attitude and optimism and that will only translate into a superb marathon! Your thread has been really enjoyable and I hope I can run a sub 3.30 in the future.

I also hope you have a lovely time in Paris tomorrow and on Saturday, can't wait to see your pictures and read your write up!!!! I will be sticked to the computer on Sunday around this time.

Have a wonderful time, bon voyage and all the best!!! imageimageimage

• Sean Have a great time in Lanzarote buddy, hope the weather is good for you and you all have fun in the sun!! Thanks for all your support. I am assuming it is a relaxing holiday and not what Malcs said and a warm weather training camp? image

The RunninG Andy Take care buddy, hopefully the rest will do it good. Most of the time the area causing the injury isnt actually the injured area. I had a foot complaint before and it was healed with a stretch of the glute muscle!! Hope its all okay for you mate. 

Malcs Like your race plan, not too much pressure on yourself and see what you might be able to deliver. You have got the experience to know by now how its going during the run. Who knows you might deliver it now but if not, you have your plan of Autumn marathon!

Ruffles Hope the cold/flu etc go soon, you might be right as rain for VLM but sensible to not put undue pressure on yourself and panic etc. Fell running not only looks like a whole lot of fun but looking at the Brownlee brothers, its an ace way of getting fit!! 

Isabel Thanks for your kind words and good luck message. I hope your injury continues to heal okay? You know how exciting the coming weekend is and nerve wracking. I cannot wait to board the train tomorrow and enjoy the weekend. This is going to be the best marathon EVER for me and I know my dream is waiting for me in Paris. Any way hope all is good with you. 

• sensesense ✭✭✭

Super super tim - in case I forget in among all the last minute packing and panicking, just wanted to wish you the very best for sunday.  hope all the uncontrollables go your way and you perform as well in the race as you have on this thread. very best of luck, should you need it

(and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that I bump into you at some point)

• Tim all the best from me also, its been great following this thread over the last few months.

• Thank you Tim! My hamstring is progressing slowly but steadily, that's where the physio is focusing on. Still hurts a lot as the injury is quite deep so it will take time. The knee is another thing. There is not much the physio can do and still gives way. Yesterday I got rid of the other crutch but I had to take it today again as I am a bit unstable. I have been horribly busy for the past two weeks so that is not helping. But I am very optimistic and I will come back at my absolute very best image

Agree!!! Best marathon ever! And I am sure the nerves will go away the moment you board the train. Then, the butterflies in the stomach will come in image I checked the forecast and looks good for running! And for that amazing photoshoot on Saturday. I read you were asking about bottlenecks earlier. I am not sure about sub 3 and sub 3.30 but last year it was clear all the way from the beginning for me. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised. You know my only struggle: "croissant street" ;D Bon voyage and happy carb loading!!!!!!!!!!!

Angela - Thank you for your words last week. I didn't know about running buddy for races, that is an excellent idea!!!

Best of luck for Sense and everyone else on the thread running Paris as well!

• Malcs, your plan sounds exciting and a wee bit scary at the same time! You might surprise yourself and hang on a bit longer than you expect with absolutely no pressure on. I'm going to see how I feel when it comes to how much under 3.30 I'll aim for. If I can get to 22/23 miles with the sub 3.30 looking good I'll push a wee bit harder. Having experienced blowing up in the past I'll be more cautious I think.

• Crunch time guys and gals! Carb loading, packing and travelling are now our priorities.

I had a confidence boosting final fling track session last night. 10 x 400m getting faster, starting at 1:42 down to 1:27 a lap. 

Sadly I then woke in the night coughing and had no sleep. Surely I can't be ill again so soon. I went out and bought loads of cold remedies to dose myself up. Hopefully I am just suffering from taper paranoia.

Good luck to everyone travelling to Paris tomorrow. Enjoy those carbs!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Yay, let's wish Tim luck in all sorts of languages - Viel Glück & Bonne Chance image

Don't think too much - just run. And enjoy. You put in the work, now reap the rewards. I wish I was going to Paris too image

Running Andy: hope the foot settles. Uneven ground can unleash all sorts of bad things ...

Fairy: a 1:27 400 is bliddy fast - it would make me feel image. Hope the cough settles. Not sure, but I often cough after a hard sesh. It triggers my asthma big time...

This has been a wonderful thread to follow - I hope we can keep it going like we did with Malcs' thread after the marathon. It'll be nice to follow what people are doing over the summer and in the build-up to their autumn races.

Malcs wrote (see)

chicksta - wow, excellent tempo run! That's awesome hitting PB HM pace - no wonder you were delighted. Are we seeing signs of the chicksta of old starting to reappear? image

I certainly hope so. So far the meds seem to work and I feel almost like the old me again. I'm still very apprehensive though and scared it may start all over again image

Malcs wrote (see)

Anyway, I only entered it, I didn't say I'd run it!

I'm just planning to wander up to the start line (in full kit of course) - only to see what's what though. You know, check out the lay of the land and the like. Then I'll just loiter for a bit and see what happens when the gun goesimage

Yeah, right.... as if .... image

• Thanks Sam! After the progression 10 this Sunday I will know what to do, but I too prefer to enjoy rather than to suffer, and to have a plan rather than to hope.

I had a fab blast at the 30-20-10s this morning early before camp, didn't do the Yassos which would have been a very long session, & I had 292 emails on top of the camp to handle, dodge etc. Knee didn't hurt today, what's going on?

This is now gettng into my weather, fantastic.

Puffsta I'm wondering where you pick the Greenway up? I'm on it a lot, mainly to get to the Olympic Park at the moment, although my house to Beckton Park and back is a HM!

Super I dunno, have never tried it with dogs or horses. See what you're saying though and could do with retiring as the physios have bitten the dust today already as a a casualty of time.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

lol - ok so yo may have me there chickstaimage 

Great to hear that the drugs are doing their stuff. Your apprehension is totally understandable. I think we'd all be the same in your position. Nothing wrong with a bit of caution as long as it doesn't hold you back too much. I'm pretty sure it won't. 

Fairy - great reps there! You completely smashed me out of the park with those. I admire your confidence too - not many people would have the balls to go at that kind of pace in race week. Nice one!

Gingermagic - totally understand your caution. I reckon, much like Tim, once you've run sub 3:30 and not had a blow up the doors will be blown wide open for much faster times to come. 

Isabel - great news on the second crutch going. You've probably been so used to it that it'll feel weird to ditch it. 

Tim - I'm going with chicksta's suggestion and will wish you massive pob lwc! (got that from the missus - I'm sure you know the translation).  

Needless to say I will have everything crossed for you on Sunday. I know there's still a few days to go and knowing you, you'll still manage to get on here before the race.

However, now the focus has to be on you. You've done an immense job here on the thread. It's been an absolute pleasure to follow you. I can't wait to hear all the details of the trip but you will have quite a packed schedule so once you leave on that Eurostar to glory just make sure Tim Jones is priority number 1!

We all know you can do this. You know you can do this. All you need to do is turn up and run. The rest will all happen and history will be made.

Just remember the eyes of a whole nation are on you, so don't f**k it upimage

• Malcs!!!!

Tim

What can I say other than you are as prepared as you can be... your jouney has had its up's and down's but this thread has been brillant from day one. Stick to your plan on Sunday and enjoy the whole weekend!!!! Wishing for what you wish for on Sunday!

• Hi all I'm getting so excited now for you lot at the weekend and guess what Eurosport are showing Paris from 07:30 on Sunday.

Have been laughing at the preparation talk, feeling a bit shattered myself as keeping up the physio alongside training [only 4 x easy this morning] means getting up at 5:15 to allow for camp all day.

Today involved a trip to QPR stadium where we played board games and had a tour. It could be a lot worse I know, but it's tiring getting them off Instagram long enough to justify such excursions.

Am totally with the jacket over mouth and nose approach to the Central Line. The weather is getting hotter though so it's starting to look a tiny bit sussed.

No matter, I shall wash my hands and breathe selectively for half an hour at a time.

I went on a date at the weekend and he pitched up buried in a giant hankie and proceeded to cough continuously for several minutes. My pointing out how completely out of order this was when all I have to do for 3 weeks is dodge lurgies was not well received.

It was like I was the problem.

Running Andy - could this be your posterior tibial tendon? That's one of my perennials since the exacting Pickering and the Moors 10K of 2009 [a lumpy quagmire surrounded by steep hills], I'd get it checked out.

On the plus side, I had severe agonies of my left foot a few days before York last year, and even the day before was hobbling about, but on that Sunday morning it was transformed, and fine since. Just as well as I already had a chest infection!
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Bonnie chance Tim! Quand tu arrives a la derniere mile, cours aussi vite que possible. Rester fort et sourir image

Getting very excited for you and can't wait to find out how you've done.

RR - glad I'm not the only hypochondriac! My throat feels dry (probably due to being outside all day and the warmer weather) but I've just checked my tonsils in the mirror and had a vit c tablet! My 8 yo has been on loads of play dates over the last few weeks and I really should return the favours but I'm loathe to invite any germ ridden kids around.

10 mile bike ride today with littlest koala along a canal. Then did 8 miles tonight with 5x600m reps at 5k pace. There's an old cinder track near me which has been resurfaced. It's still fenced off but I managed to squeeze in through a gap! Was so much easier doing the reps on a track compared to the park which is where I usually do them.
  • Tim wishing you lots of luck for that massive PB on Sunday. See haircut tick bag packed tick training tick. All done enjoy the weekend relax and get your pacing spot on. I have every faith in you and can't wait to see the results. imageimage

• Allo Allo listen very carefully all you Paris runners. I will say this only once have a great time and enjoy.

Went round the school as the lines for the running track have been painted on the field. Did 10 x 400 @ 1.26 to 1.29. 

Freemers will let you know my choice of t shirt or vest next week depending on weather.

• sense wrote (see)

Super super tim - in case I forget in among all the last minute packing and panicking, just wanted to wish you the very best for sunday.  hope all the uncontrollables go your way and you perform as well in the race as you have on this thread. very best of luck, should you need it

(and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that I bump into you at some point)

You too buddy, you too. If you get a chance, pop your race number down on here so peeps can track you! 

Good luck Fairyclogs! Hope it all goes well for you. image

Chicksta Always love a bit of language luck!! Thanks. I really hope all the meds and stuff continue to work for you. Its great to see you getting back to your old self. I have my fingers crossed it carries on. 

Malcs Always tough shoes to follow in this sub 3-30 thread and you were no exception. You have always been a shining example of how you can benefit from the threads, learn and develop as a runner. You have given so much back to the forums and have helped me no end whenever I've needed anything. Now what was it you told me to go and do. Ah yes f**K it up. Or was it dont f**K it up. Shit I cant remember now. image

reikirabbit I take it date 2 wasnt arranged  that quicky?? And many thanks for reminding me to tape Eurosport on Sunday, I had quite forgotten. Hope the germs havent spread to you. 

slowkoala I love cinder tracks. I used to train on one when I was about 14. SO many happy memories. Sounds like a lovely active day you have had, weather was perfect for it. Hope you have a good run at the weekend.  Ps what did that french stuff mean.... image

Martin Nice reps today buddy. Was it fun running on the school field?? Have a good run at the weekend too. 

• Ruth Many thanks for the guidance and support you have given me. Success is where preperation meets opportunity. You have been both to me. Cant thank you enough. 

Sarah Thanks for helping me through the dark days of the injury and giving me hope and keeping me sane with your support. The run at Battersea Training Day 2 will remain one of all time happy run's. 

Sam This is it coach. Its now the business end of the campaign. I have my race strategy embedded in my head. If it goes as well as everything else you advised, we are onto a winner. image

•  

OMG, the ASICS express leaves for Paris tomorrow. Where has 16 weeks of training gone?  This has been the greatest, best, happiest 4.5 months I can recall. Its time for me to deliver. I have never been in better shape. I have never trained as well. I have never run as well. I have never run as fast. I have my carb loading plan. I have my race strategy. As long as I have my running shoes, shorts, pants, top and vaseline, what could go wrong!! 

It does promise to be an action packed weekend.

• Tomorrow am travel.
    • Tomorrow pm expo.
    • Tomorrow eve - tuck.
    • Sat am running with the ASICS team and video/photo shop
    • Sat pm free time
    • Sat eve - tuck
    • Sunday am - MARATHON!!!!!!
    • Sunday pm - PARTY!!!!!
    • Monday am - Nurofen, bloody mary, and travel back 

I will try and post up during the weekend.

Can I wish anyone racing this weekend all the best, to those LSR for later marathons, happy LSR's and thank you thank you for making these last few months just the best!!! 

PS having decided to follow Malcs advice and try to not f**k it up I quite like the idea of following his race strategy. I'll see what Sam thinks of it. 

"I'm just planning to wander up to the start line (in full kit of course) - only to see what's what though. You know, check out the lay of the land and the like. Then I'll just loiter for a bit and see what happens when the gun goesimage"

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Ignore Malcs and listen to Sam!

PS - the French blurb just said good luck, run as fast as possible when you reach mile 25, stay strong and smile image