Options

My personal website about marathon running!

Hi there, 

I'm a fairly keen runner that has completed a number of marathons around the four hour mark.

Recently I've had a bit of time on my hands and so I decided to develop my own personal website for fun.

It does focus quite a lot on my experiences as a runner. Most of what I read online is about really super athletes that are sub 3 hour marathoners so I thought it might be interesting to hear about the experiences of a more "average" runner in terms of both training and the race day. 

Feel free to take a look... I think it's pretty interesting for novices and experienced runners alike but would like to know what you guys think!

Here it is: www.krlock.com

There are two sections about running: reflections of a marathon runner, and running tips with a Q&A. 

I hope that it's useful or enjoyable. 

Thanks

Kevin.

Comments

• Options
    An excellent website, full of really useful information
  • Options

A running blog, wow! Why has nobody has ever thought of writing one of those before?

• Options
    Not sure Scream, Sure Kevin is going to make a killing...

I think it's a really neat concept
  • Options
    K L 11K L 11 ✭✭✭

It's not a commercial thing, I've just programmed it because I wanted to learn how to make a website and I thought runners or those considering training for a marathon might appreciate it.

• Options

Your first marathon in 4.12 and you last one done in 4.54. I'll skip the running tips Q&A if that's okay,

• Options
    K L 11K L 11 ✭✭✭

haha thanks philomena. thats funny. 

For those who haven't read it, the last one was done overnight with temperatures hovering around -9 deg Celsius, on snow, and with no particular training. 

• Options
    K L 11 wrote (see)

It's not a commercial thing, I've just programmed it because I wanted to learn how to make a website and I thought runners or those considering training for a marathon might appreciate it.

Hm, actually I think that's what the users come to this site for.

That and conversations about food and sex. Talk more about food and sex and you might be onto something.

• Options
    Sex ? What's that ?

I've flown Yeti air, beats the hell out Mike O'Learys rubbish every day....
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Did people ask you the questions in the Q&A or did you ask them to yourself?

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Suprised you read it Lit. As a Sub 3 runner it`s not for the likes of you image
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Did people ask you the questions in the Q&A or did you ask them to yourself?

V2.0 will have a meta-Q&A section with your question in it, Lit.

I love using the word meta.  image

• Options

So if the last one was in bad conditions....how much have you progressed over the years and what factors were the most important to get the gains

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    What I find interesting is the boring shit that other people say is interesting before going on to bore me with it. At least in this scenario I skipped that whole middle section by not reading it and arrived the same conclusion that I would have if I had been bored to tears. Oh and I am writing an interesting blog about the things that others find interesting but that bore me. It is really interesting. Maybe those who find boring shit interesting, will find it interesting.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I was just interested to know whether someone really asked 'do you go to the toilet during races?' or whether the OP just really wanted to be asked it.

• Options
    Is that the website covering food, sex or running GL ?
  • Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    There is nothing boring about sex. Everything else is fair game.
  • Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Your site made me feel sick. I think it's the moving/zooming images/backgrounds. That's NEVER happened to me before.

• Options
    K L 11K L 11 ✭✭✭

Haha... Wow... you guys a tough crowd!

@Dave.. thanks

@literatin... i confess I made up my own Q&A. Guess I should tone down the toilet info then. 

@Gideon.... I'm trying to decide up whether you are more jaded or more rude but I cannot make my mind up yet on the weightings. But thanks for the thoughts so far! I'm sure you have a point that it is all too long. Do you others agree?

@seren nos... good question, I'll add that to the Q&A. The short answer (you'll all probably be glad to hear) is that I haven't progressed that much over the years in speed but I've progressed somewhat in stamina due to tackling the mountain runs and the 50k. As I'm 41 years old now, I'm probably also fighting an uphill battle against my age, though I'm not quite sure if that's true or not yet.

@Snap... oh, really? Do you other guys agree and think that I should stick with static images? 

I'd just like to reiterate that I made this website for fun and as a learning exercise in how to program websites. Secondarily, I thought the content might be interesting to, you know, runners like yourselves!

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Why do you think that turning 40 will make you run slower?

I expect to be beaten by loads of people older than me at London in a couple of weeks. I'm 37 and think i should be able to keep on improving for a good few years.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It made me feel a bit travelsick too. I think it's because the background the text is on is a little bit transparent and the background image is moving behind it. I didn't read all of the text, so can't comment on that.

• Options
    K L 11K L 11 ✭✭✭

I guess everyone is different Millsy. I actually ran my first mountain marathon the week after turning 40, and I also got my flat PB after 40, so I am not saying that turning 40 is some kind of limitation. I'm also frequently beaten by plenty of much older runners, that's true!

In fact, I am hoping to do my longest run later this year, and I also think I may still have a few personal bests in me, but just recently I have been feeling my age a little more, thats all. Hopefully temporary. I do have some arthritis in my neck and had a slipped disk a few years back, so I also have to keep that in mind.  

Good luck with London, that's great! I'm going to be doing Brighton for charity this sunday. 

In fact, I'm attempting to run two marathons in a week... Brighton on Sunday and Zurich one week later. Until now, the most I've done is two in a month. 

I'll run in aid of the World Wildlife Fund.. In case any of you want to give a small donation in addition to any more feedback image you can do so easily at my just giving page which is www.justgiving.com/kevinlock 

• Options
    K L 11K L 11 ✭✭✭

@snap and literatin

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I disabled the "zoom" on the slideshow on all pages outside of the homepage, hopefully that should stop the motion sickness!!

You are right, it is better that way.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I love it when someone posts a blog.

You instantly get set upon by a whole squad of forum big names who despite saying how uninteresting it is, seem interested enough to hang around and make numerous posts

• Options
    I said how interesting it was.... And that I thought Yeti Air was way better than Ryan Air, What's wrong with that ?
  • Options
    K L 11K L 11 ✭✭✭

@Stevie G... yep seems to often be the way with internet forums. 

Although my site has a blog, it's not really a main focus and i've been thinking of deleting it as I am not keen on continuous updates. 

@Dave and I thanked you for it. I actually flew with Tara Air in the Himalayas, though I had to check in with Yeti Air. Seems like a long time ago though. 

• Options

Never mind that Dave, you're a forum big name apparently - I am still allowed to talk to you? image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

careful Screamy, I've heard he doesn't even meet up with people outside of the site!

• Options
    Luklua is deffo an airport to remember !

I'm a small and very insignificant name round here, just been here a very long time.

(There are of course at least 2 books containing photos of me meeting other forumites, and several even attended my wedding)