RUNNING WITH A PACE MARKER

I'm running the Manchester Marathon on Sunday - This my 3rd Marathon (2nd time at Manchester) I got a 4:08 last year and I am desperate for a SUB 4 - Training has gone well and mileage is up and I feel strong - Just wondered if anyone had any advise about running with a pace marker? Last year I was in-front of the 4 hour person until mile 23 and then they over took me and i couldn't keep up! Did I go to fast - Who knows - Just wondered if any one has any experience? Thanks

Comments

• Well you didn't go too fast if you wanted sub 4 and did 4.08.

Maybe you paced the first part too fast and faded? Check your splits on the result?

How has the training gone? Any Half marathons to go off? How have your long runs gone?
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

The McMillan pacing site (google it) will give you a good idea of what you're capable of if you've done a recent half. I'm hoping for sub 4 in June and ran a half in 1:53 yesterday, should have me thereabouts if training continues to go well. 

As a first time marathon runner I'm not as experienced as you but as with any race running a constant pace is generally the best way. 9:10 per mile is bang on. Follow the pacer instead of running in front? Impossible to go too quick then surely?

• Thanks - My PB on a  Half is 1:44. I think you are right cougie I def was consistant until the last 3/4 miles. Just Run I agree it has to work if I follow him? Right? This is my final one don't plan on doing another so final shot at it! - Good luck with your run Just Run hope you get the Sub 4 image

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Assuming you are in 1.44 half shape now, you should be ok for sub 4.  I did 1h51 and 1h53 in the build up to a 4h6 marathon on Sunday.  Personally, i would sooner have a bit of wiggle room for a bad mile or two/contingency.  This is just my opinion, but i would set out at 9mm pace. Sub 4 is 9m10 pace just about so you have a little wiggle room for a bad mile/pee stop/something else.  

• K L 11K L 11 ✭✭✭

Some people like to follow the pacer but I prefer to go on ahead and occasionally keep an eye out for him behind. 

Good luck in Manchester. 

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

First of all, a 1:44 HM puts you in great shape for the a sub 4.   I ran my first marathon in just over 4hrs off a 1:47 half....  and I've never run sub 1:44 but my subsequent 3 marathons have all been sub 3:50.  I think you gain from experience, and a cumulation of endurance over 2 or 3 marathons... and you've said yourself, you've done more training this year.  So I think you should go in with confidence.  If you look at McMillan and other  "race time predictors",  I think they will all predict you can run sub-3:40 or sub 3:45...  although many runners find them slightly optimistic in predicting marathon times.

Manchester pacers have a great solution for you... I just took this from their website.

"To help in your mission to hit a specific time, we have recruited a group of experienced pace runners who will be running the race at the following paces:

3:00, 3:15, 3:29 and 3:30, 3:45, 3:58, 3:59 and 4:00, 4:15, 4:30, 4:45, 5:00"

So if you're desperate simply to achieve 3:59:59... then if I was you, I would go with the 3:58 pacer.... and expect a relatively easy* race. (*there is no such thing as an easy 26mile race!)

But with that half...  if your training has gone well, and you're prepared for a more gritty race, you have every right to start with the 3:45 pacer and perhaps accept that you could slip back a bit....  but I think you've a realistic chance of grinding out 3:49:59.... which looks even better  (and don't forget, if the race time predictors are correct, then  3:45 would get you guaranteed non-sponsorship-based entry into London as a good for age entrant - if you changed your mind about this being your last marathon!)

Maybe I'm overplaying it... it depends how adventurous or risk-averse you want to be.  Just make sure you read up on fueling strategies. too.  And enjoy the challenge.

• Hi, No need to go fast, just make it 4.8. Long-distance running is safe for athletes with pacemaker implants. Overall fitness and sufficient endurance training remain the prerequisites for maintaining the condition necessary for successful completion of a marathon regardless of medical status. I love running and got some ideas about pacemakers from “natrun.com.au”. Pacemakers are experienced runners tasked to complete the course in a given time and are generally capable of running a lot faster than the pace they are assigned to.