manchester marathon 2015

Comments

• Just been to see a client in stretford, the back of my shirt is now sweaty. Outlook for Sunday 16 degrees with cloud cover. Almost perfect at 9.00am and it should get the people off their backsides away from their left over Easter eggs to come and support us.
  • Alanb- congrats, Garscube will have a new junior member in a few years!!

Looking forward to Sunday, heading down to Manchester on Thursday, get climatised and maybe some altitude training.......lol

Looking forward to sunday, in the green start no. 6541 so say hello if you see me. 

• AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone! And congrats to you too WJH! image

Wow looks like a very busy year ahead for a lot of you, lots of racing planned!

Ali - What ultra are you planning? I've heard the D33, Clyde Stride and Speyside Way are good races for 'newbs'. There's plenty of choice these days though.

3 of my friends were over in Turin at the weekend representing Team GB at the 24 Hour Ultra World Champs (and they did amazing, Gold for the Men's team and Bronze for the Ladies!). I am planning to use them as motivation on Sunday. When I get to 20 miles and start feeling sorry for myself i'll be thinking "how far did they still have to go when they got to 20 miles and you've only got 10k left? Suck it up!" and "how many miles had they already covered when they only had an hour left to go and you're moaning about 18??" etc etc.

• Yep AM - I had to drag the winter layers out at the weekend but was out in short-sleeves last night and will be again tonite. Bit of Manchester rain never hurt but cool and dry will do me and as JJ says it will be nice to get the crowds out supporting

It might just have been me but there seemed to be less supporters out last year, although they did seem concentrated in a number of places

Not sure whether any of the Timperley posse are heading into a local pub post-race but I may well do that once I've got home and had a good soak. Have some beers stashed for Sunday night but I do know a much larger number of people who live locally who are doing the race in some form or other on Sunday

• This thread moves so fast - I can't keep up! image

Thanks for the timing pointers. I'll be on that tram at 7.30 or probably before knowing me!

Congrats on all the new arrivals (arrived or nearly so) - exciting, busy times ahead. 

Caz - I agree, I wish John had done mine - mine is very wonky, but ah well!

Slightly more successful are my new nails. I have a thing about races- new snazzy gel nails(short as can be) are a must. One of my friends challenged me to give up skittles for the 2nod half of my training plan (I'm literally fuelled by them) and to celebrate I now have snazzy coloured skittle nails. Hoping they bring me luck and a finish on Sunday image

Off out in the sun for a gentle run with a running buddy. Wasn't planning any speed work but just had to chase my daughters rabbit around the garden for twenty minutes -   Dumbledore the rabbit can proper shift it image

Next challenge for me is. Equinox 24 and then depending on Suday I may do the Robin. Hood marathon...we'll see!

• Ps. Sally - ouch!  Take care- I hope you feel enter soon

• RRR - Ill be heading to the Bishops for a few pints post race then i'll be heading home for a shower then off to Hale Grill for a nice roast. 

• sscssc ✭✭✭

Pls to see that my incompetence has started an interesting debate about the use of Garmins!  It seems fine today and even though I won't be too surprised if it has issues I'll use it Sunday to gauge my perceived effort and feel v actual pace and time.

• A strange run tonight, was fine but my lower calf started to feel tight. Any ideas? Is this normal in taper and will loosen once i get some distance in them?

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

JJ (if not already tried) try rolling it and hold but press the roller into the tight area to see if it eases off.  if not you can have it looked at if it is tight again tomorrow.  Its probably nothing, just one of those taper madness things but a bit of rolling will no doubt shift.

Magic, good to hear the weather is cooler on Sunday.  enjoy the bishops btw, I would drop in but in all likelihood I will not be able to sit down and will just want to get home for some food etc before my legs give up on me.

on garmins I have two so will use both just in case one doesn't work!!!  I like to monitor my pace and effort being as adrenaline makes it difficult to truly assess. just my view.

congrats Alan on the baby news.

arrival, I hate hanging around so will rock up to the start line at about 8:45 to 8:50ish. 

• Snaffle...I'm doing my nails on Friday night...I have some blue nail polish that's as close as I can find to the club colours, left ring finger will be white (club vest is blue & white hoops) and right ring finger will be yellow (I'm in the yellow start pen) image  OK, that's enough girly stuff...did someone mention a pub???

Talking of Garmin errors, during a 20 mile race last year mine ran out of memory space at about 14miles...6miles of constant beeping from the bloomin thing...how do people put up with the pacing doofer on them beepiing at them for 26.2miles?

Just been out for a 5mile run...it was warm out there and a bit windy, why is it the wind is always in your face when you're going uphill??

Sally, ouch!!  Hope you're pain free for Sunday.

JJ it could simply be that you're more conscious of every little ache/niggle at this stage in the game...don't panic just yet. 

• Ok so the girls are having nails done, what beauty rituals are others doing.

I am having my hair cut on Friday and will be trimming my beard. Need to look my best.
  • Hello!

I am staying at the ibis on Portland street. Could any locals please advise how long it will take to get the tram to the race village/ start?

Thanks

Ann
  • Ann - you are at most 5 minutes walk from St peters sq metro stop. once on a met no more than 15mins to old trafford, then a 10 minute walk up to the race village. You could leave your room at 8 and make it but personally I would leave at 7.15-7:30 as I like to be there in good time. Also check metro times a they are a reduced service on Sundays but should still be every 12mins

• Also for anyone staying in town, you can get any metro going to Altrincham, manc airport and didsbury but need to get off at trafford bar (its pretty much the same walking distance to race village as old traffrd stop is). Only the  Altrincham line stops at old trafford itself

John

• Lovely thank you both! I will aim to leave 0715 as I like to be prepared!

Good luck to everyone running on Sunday. I'm very much looking forward to coming down to Manchester now. Feeling really relaxed ( so far anyway) and ready for the run.

Ann
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Congrats Alan and WJH (seperately). Aren't we a virile bunch ! Surprised you've the energy (or was that before all the training) image.

JJ - Don't expect it's anything. I always get little niggles as I start the taper, but rolling it is a good idea anyway. I was just going to post the link to that tram map but see you've just done it.

Caz - love the idea of the nails. 

Possibly my last run tonight before the day as I'll be travelling Thursday and Friday. Eight miles done, mostly at marathon pace, but got caught up with a club mate who's hoping for 3:15 - 3:20 and did 2 miles with him at 7 mins 20 sec pace (1 min 15 sec faster than my pace). Ooops.

• I spent the day in Amsterdam... in a 6hr meeting... and had to apologise to the woman sat next to me because I spent half of it massaging my left calf and right hamstring.  Must have looked odd... but as with others, we're at the stage where this marathon is a rather big priority. I can live with a bit of embarrassment!

For me, I'll be leaving my hotel about 8:30am image  I'm assuming that turning up at the start line at about 8-45 is OK.  I turned up at that time in Dublin... which looks like a similar time and similarly organised start.   I'd appreciate it if anyone advises that that's stupid!

• Hello runners! I wondered if anyone could advise me on the best route (without a car) to the Race Village from the Marriott Hotel on Water Street please - not knowing Manchester and booking a little late, I've a feeling this might not be best location! Thank you!

• Of all the stupid things to do I wore new shoes to daughters christening ... Ended up with quite bad blister on top of each big toe of all places , any one got any good advice as they are quite red raw at moment and even though didn't cause to much discomfort on last nights 5 miles it is something would rather be on mend if possible by Sunday !

On last nights 5 mile run felt very heavy legged and struggled to maintain a steady even pace. I have only done a 2 week taper but is this something expected during taper process .
  • Julia - same stop as Ann (St Peters square). Straight up Quay Street and carry on across deansgate and up Peter Street. It's a 5-10min walk tops.
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

5 easy miles yesterday in the lunchtime sunshine which left me sweating quite a bit. Apparently there is a heatwave on the way ! Massage done in the evening and the legs are feeling great today. The back is aching a bit now though !

Nice to see some last minute panicking from people image 

• /members/images/31446/Gallery/Manchester.jpg

Don't think we need to worry about the suncream and sombreros just yet folks!

Looks like near perfect conditions to me

• Agree Robert - it does look like we are going to get really lucky.  Its been windy the last couple of weeks but even that has died down completely today.  Today's conditions would be perfect for a marathon.  Certainly don't think we will be having the same heat as the Paris runners had last week.

• legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

Not getting to excited that the weather might actually be that for Sunday just yet but really hope so.

JJ - I'm going opposite on the beauty regimes, not actually sure when it started, but been letting beard grow at least a couple of months. Now mainly just an excuse when the wife tells me to have a shave I'm going with 'it's my marathon beard' and I'll shave it off after Sunday.

Couple of miles with club with lengthy warm up / cool down routine and lots of stretching. Very easy jog planned for Thursday and that'll be it.

• Jonny, blister plasters...you can get smaller sized ones that fit nicely around poorly toes.  Follow the instructions to the letter to put them on as soon as you can now, and leave them on as soon as possible.  

The weather will have changed at least 5 times between now & Sunday.

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

improvement again today.  will look at flexibility and stiffness tomorrow with the view of doing a 3 miler to wake up the muscles as I have not run since Saturday and not really walked much since Sunday when I walked to United and I hadn't done much before then! 

I took the week off this week so to keep the hip tendons stretched out (physio advice) after my rolling, rubbing and pressing in around the area hence my inactivity. I'm like a beached whale atm. image

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Very happy with that forecast RJ2! They would be perfect conditions.

Massage last night, then 4M easy this morning with a few strides. Think I have too much nervous energy! Might risk getting the BBQ out today the weather is that nice - although I might, for once, actually clean the think before cooking on it. 

Hope everyone's niggles are easing off a bit.

• Legend - I'm with you, haven't shaved for a few weeks and have decided to go with the "wild man" look for the marathon, a la Samson, it can all come off before work on Monday. That said my family like it whereas I don't

Regarding niggles, I went out for a very stiff 5 miles last night and felt every stride, have decided not to go out tonite but might go out for a final 4-5 miles in the morning as my last run pre-Sunday. Was fairly quick which might not have helped but certainly didn't feel like I'd had a couple of easy weeks

Going to try and stretch and roller tonite but it's not making much difference and I struggled to get comfy in bed last night

Compeed plasters are the best for blisters, pricey but they do the job