Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options

well done caro for your early morning running. i put my alarm on for 5.50 when i went to bed, so that i could go out on the treadmill before getting the kids up.  then i thought better of it, as i had already done that yesterday morning and know that if i do that too many days in a row, i exhaust myself. so i changed it to 6.30 and jumped in the shower instead of on the treadmill. very impressed with myself and the kids this morning. managed to get everyone breakfasted, dressed, washed, hair brushed, teeth cleaned and out the door by 7.22 with NO shouting. i think the kids are still a bit shocked at being woken up before 7am...

• Options

I struggled to get out of bed at 7am!!  Did you feel good for your early run Caro? I bet it's nice out at that time of day, at this time of year.

• Options
    Nice work CM!!

Brrrr suddenly freezing here, snow on mountain etc. but of a shock to the system!

My SIL's partner is doing the South Island leg of the Tour of NZ cycle race and is coming first individual! Pretty impressed! He's had a fair bit of riding through snow!

Trying to stay calm when M misbehaves - actually trying to stop 'stepping up to the plate' for every argument with hubby as well. Somehow I'm going to become a mindful zen master who calmly deals with all this stuff - gotta aim high right?!

I read something recently about doing nice things for the sake of it (to make others and yourself happy) not to earn praise, get a gold star or keep score. Really resonated with me.
  • Options

i love running early. the problem is when i also go to bed late and get wound up all day at work too. started badly today. the bloody requisition system is playing silly buggers and screwing up two of my vacancies so that i can't submit them. soooooooo frustrating! especially as i have spent about 2 hours so far just trying to get round the errors that it keeps throwing up atme. beautiful day and i'm about to go and get a coffee as i have 2 hours of stress this afternoon: trying to get a release of a major system halted as we are simply not ready to support it; and then an hour of trying to get team members to sign on the dotted line for changes to their job descriptions.

ho hum. least it pays the bills (just).

• Options

I am glad I ran early - wouldnt say I loved it at the time but had a better day for it.

Super fun at the olympic park - took kids swimming stuff and they splashed in all the fountains, played in all the play areas.  Easily killed 6 hrs in a blink of an eye.  

Will is not to be found.  The solicitors does still exist - it had merged, and hubby called them and F in L removed will and house deeds in 2012, and they have no copies.  Where they are now nobody knows........The bit of paper hubby saw was an old will from the 80s apparently, but M in L says there is a more recent one.  But (EF help me out here!) presumably if the only one found is the old one and there is no proof of a more recent one (which basically said the same thing - whoever dies first leaves everything else to the remaining one) then that will do?

Funeral not till 6th May, which is just yet another thing hanging over me.  I wish it was sooner so that I can really start to put the last yr and a bit behind me.  M in L wants 'Unforgettable' playing as we leave the crematorium.  I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  I hate crematoriums anyway, the whole thing is going to be awful.

• Options

Hoggle - it's called intrinsic or extrinsic motivation image The kids who are intrinsically motivated are soooo much easier to teach!

Boo to funerals and crematoriums Caro, I'm with you on that one.  My Granny's ashes were only just buried and her cremation was about a month ago, no idea why it took that long.  The will thing must be such a nightmare, not what you need.  My mum lost some of my Granny's jewellery which she'd specifically listed in her will, but recently found them in her filing cabinet, safely locked away!

• Options

I would say that if there is a will and everyone's pretty sure it says the same as the newer one and no one is going to contest it then you should be ok as it's the last document showing his wishes. i hope everyone appointed as executor (that's our terminology!) is still around. For heavens sake tho get mil to do a will!  I don't know what happens in England if there is no will. 

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

My dinner tonight - 1 x creme egg, 1 bag of bacon rasher crisps, 1 pack of pork scratchings, 2 x chocolate eclairs, 2 x glasses of champagne (still fizzy from sunday) 1x beer.  Might have another creme egg.  I have about 12 in my cupboard.  I have given myself 2 days to eat what i want and i havent really taken advantage.. until tonight image

I am reading an amazing book at the moment called Overwhelmed by Brigid Schulte - its changed the way i think.  Its about the overwhelm of life today, focusing on mothers and working but it touches relationships, how you think about time, how everyone is obsessed with being busy, childcare, work and flexible working and so much other stuff.  It's one of those books I want to read again as soon as i have finished it. Anyway there was a great quote for us ladies

'The way you live your days is the way you live your life'

I liked it.  I also really liked your one Caro about the bad bits of life.

Caro - you could really do without Will stress image  Glad you had fun at the olympic park though.

CM -hope your work went ok.

Hoggle - how is SIL's partner doing?  Is he the one that doesnt want to change his life when they baby arrives?  If he is an uber cyclist, she  is going to have a job on her hands...

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Might go and have another creme egg. I only have 3hrs left of my 'free to eat whatever i want' period!

• Options
    EF I have a feeling the executor was hubby's godfather who is dead, which is why they did the new one....but what does an executor do anyway?? Surely a solicitor can just read the thing.

I already told hubby to make sure his mum does one ASAP-although perhaps we won't mention it till after the funeral!
  • Options

Go for it PG3, I am busy ploughing my way through the kids' collection (and I'm not even ashamed!) and I ran half the distance you did!

• Options

Boo to running with milky boobs, to lost will and delay until funeral, to leaving application to last minute, to time without kids (only you though CM, the rest of us love having a break from ours) and to homework! 

Yipppeeeee to tubing, fab race reports, early morning runs and creme egg feast (although i think they are yuck!)

We wrote wills but havent actually got them signed yet.... Must do! 

I scoffed about watching twilight films but loved them too! 

hoggle - wow to speedy sil partner even if it is snow biking? 

confession time - i have raised weird children..... I gave them a choice for tea and Tom picked and scoffed a whole mackerel. Archie did not choose fish but instead ran into a branch and gashed his cheek open so he looks like scar face. 

• Options

I have weird children too, Camlo - JP asks to eat celery and sprouts for tea image

Oh carp, Caro, that's such a nightmare about the will image Hope it turns up very soon. Love that quote and totally agree! 

PG - that sounds like my tea every night ATM. Really need to sort my eating out, lol image 

Impressed by the early morning running. I woukd need to go super early usually as Ben leaves at 6.30. Don't think I could do it! 

Hilly club run tonight followed by chips! Didn't end up with many because the guys from the fast group were also fast at getting the chips. Hmph! Had a really lovely day out with B - went shopping and had lunch before getting JP, then went with him to a big playground and for an ice cream before fetching G. Then B had the kids while I was out and he made Jack Daniels sauce from scratch image It is mighty fine! Alton Towers tomorrow image

• Options

That's impressive food consumption PG3 image  I usually get delayed hunger after a long race anyway ... it usually always catches up with me though, often in the middle of the night!!

What a flipping nightmare re the will Caro.  I don't have one either ... got paperwork for hubby and I to do them but somehow it never happened. Once things are all sorted here that will definitely be next thing to do.  Think when my GA died, my uncle was executor, just meant he did all the sorting out basically - transferring of money etc (along with a lecture to spend it wisely etc!!).

Please send some of your lovely warmth up to Scotland, yes I know we had glorious sunshine last week but it's bloody winter again here and rather depressing!!

Yay to the early doors run - hard but so worth it as it's done and doesn't have to be fitted in.  Also massive yay to CM getting the kids out by 7.22 with no shouting - we are just about all out of bed by then and on breakfast but that is about it!!

And also hurrah to a zen-like Hoggle, sounds like you are doing fab.

I definitely liked the Caro quote about the bad things in life - I have to say, I think I've always had that kind of philosophy, even if I'm a bit crap with other philosophies!!  

Chips after a hilly club run sounds rather good actually image

Sitting rolling tennis ball in calf muscle at the moment, it's sore!!! Feeling totally shattered tonight ... how can that be???  Did 10ish miles earlier and legs had virtually no rebound, really can't hack semi-high mileage, let alone high mileage ... destroys me!!!

Like CM, not helped by the fact I never go to bed early either.

Back to class teaching this morning, good to get back on a roll again.

Was having a dither, one of the part-timers has handed in her notice so her job is up for advertisement ... 17.5 hours including a regular evening shift and a Saturday morning ... part of me thinks yes, as it would give me regular income on top of the pilates, but the other is no ... evening shift alone will be a PITA and at the end of the day, I still earn more from one class than I do from a morning of shifts in the library ... need to get me another daytime class I think ... and then find a way to get the Sports massage back on a roll ... and sort my life out!!! image

Pelvic floors - the exercises should in theory work if you do them religiously, if you have and it's not worked DO NOT accept this as normal as it's not, we are all entitled to pelvic floors that work properly again ... and so endeth the preaching from the Pilates instructor image  who needs to go to bed because she is so darn tired ...

• Options

Quick answer for Caro - I'm afraid executor generally pretty important as need to get probate granted so that his assets can then be transferred into mil name. If everything is joint it might be ok and it may depend on how ownership of their house is worded. There's usually a fallback executor as well as the main one so fingers x. 

Sorry don't really know how English works at all. Up here you would need to get executor appointed. It can of course still be done without a will(executor dative rather than executor nominate) but it's a lot more faff. We don't say probate either- here you confirm to the estate but suspect much the same!  I haven't done executry since 1998 I admit But obv we have just done andy's mum's estate. Everything has to be accounted for at the end and the executor signs that off too 

creme eggs. god I could murder one right now. 

• Options
    Oh god now I NEED a cream egg!!!
  • Options

oh no i will never get this fixation with creme eggs. they are the work of the devil!

i'm not doing very well with food again. i did really well for 2 or so months and made myself healthy dinners every night. now i'm back to square one again. i really can only lose weight if i actually leave myself hungry for most of the day and restrict my calories to the point of near starvation! inevitably i get fed up with this eventually and then it all goes to pot. so all the weight i lost at the beginning of the year is going back on again. gah! then i think 'life is too short to be miserable and starving all the time' and try to get used to it. but then i hate myself when i catch a glimpse of myself because i look so vile. rubbish!

• Options

I have one here...but I don't actually want it at the moment! I'm trying to follow PG3's 2 days post-race rule...we'll see how long I last...

Off to the physio in a minute, hopefully she can sort out my sore calf and twingeing-on-the-downhills knee, and not tell me not to run or anything image.  Just had a very interesting meeting with the HR lady at the college, who I told in great detail what a carp experience I'd had of working there. She was very understanding and agreed with a lot of it, so hopefully things might change.

After the physio I have to take the cat to the vet for his boosters - I'm willing to bet he'll be basking in the sunshine somewhere and nowhere to be found!

My mum's been talking about probate and things like that but I don't think she really understands it all either!

Agh forgotten what was on the previous page now...will try to send the sunshine further north!

• Options

CM - that is EXACTLY how I feel about weight loss, I'm so fed up with it!  I think the key is planning and organisation, and I just fail at that with kids to think about.  One day I will get rid of this stone...

• Options

JG - if it was planning and organisation, i'd excel at it. i'm good at planning. i plan everything to within an inch of its life. i plan the kids' food. i'm organised enough to make sure everything they wore when they came to me from their dad's is washed, ironed and in the bag ready to go back to his when they return. i organise my own work stuff and take food to work with me, which is fine. that works well. but when i come home, i'm tired, lonely, fed up, stressed, too much to do, and i just shove food in my gob mindlessly. i know that's what it is. it's to do with feeling that i have done so much for everyone else and have so much left to do that i just eat crap. i'm starving and fed up, so i fill myself up with crappy calories and don't eat a proper tea.

last night there was chicken dhansak in the fridge for my tea (made at the weekend). instead i ate a packet of crappy monster munch while cooking the kids' tea. then i ate a load of their easter chocolate with them after they'd had tea. then i had a leftover (stale - it wasn't even nice) scone. then more chocolate. then when i finally put them to bed, i had a bowl of cereal. i wasn't even hungry at that point. i should just have eaten nothing after all the crap i'd shoved in my gob. but i didn't. i sat down and ate a bowl of cereal. gah.

• Options

oh my good god - one tiny update to someone's JD and they call in the unions. weeeeeeeeeeep

• Options

I would probably have eaten the chicken dhansak then everything else you described image  I am a terrible snacker!

• Options

I also feel a sense of injustice - I do loads of exercise so why should I have to diet in the same way as everyone else?!  Yes ok so I know the answer to that (see above) image

• Options

i do know i can lose weight if i am REALLY strict with myself. so no snacks. at all. ever. which is fine. except that i then have to eat very little at mealtimes also. i lost weight successfully when i was eating a peanutbutter and marmalade sandwich for breakfast; a bowl of home made veg-only soup for lunch; and then an evening meal which was usually vegetable based, with no oil for cooking; with some protein such as pulses or lentils or fish or lean meat; with no carbs with it (so no potato or rice or anything along with it). and semi-skimmed milk in tea.

but i was bloody hungry ALL the time.i would go to bed hungry. wake  up hungry and be hungry all day long. it was miserable. but i did lose weight. as soon as i eat any more than that, it all goes to pot. as soon as i eat to hunger levels, i put weight on. and i can't exercise enough to make a difference these days. am going for a 5 mile trot tonight, but there are too many days of the week where i can't do anything significant enough to make a difference.

• Options

Don't. I'm on ww again. Had to get myself back on track. I think I've shifted 3lbs this week tho so a bit happier but heavens I am so hungry. 

Pip this is a random comment but every time your friend Fiona Holton posts on FB it surprises me because I too have a friend with that name - and it's not exactly john smith popularity!  It's not the same person but still it catches my eye every time. 

Off to Gym. Have PT at 7. I'm on the train still and have to get to car, move car, get to gym and change. Argh. 

• Options

I'm still doing the high fat diet, trying to stick to 4 days a week with 3 eating carbs and some sugar.  Have found it pretty affective, still under 10 stone and have stuck around 9st10lb which is basically the half stone I was always wanting to lose.

The first few days of it were hard but now I don't mind it at all which I find a bit odd as I used to pretty much have pasta every night and a lot of bread too.  As I'm only really doing 4 days of the week doing it I know its not long until I can have spuds or cake or wine but to be honest sugar does taste a bit weird when you stop eating it.  

Grr to the will Caro - where can it be??

• Options

once a day this is my meal - 15g conchigliette (can't spell and can't be arsed getting up to check the pack in the kitchen. It's the mini pasta shells), 2 slices of ham chopped up into tiny squares, 12 slices of cucumber (quartered), 6 -8 cherry tomatoes (quartered), large handful of baby spinach. 

That equates to just 2pp and is big enough to con my mind into thinking I have eaten. it also leaves room to have a freddo (3pp) or some other small pre packed bit of chocolate. Quite partial to the mini green and blacks packs so I get variety. Also always have a pudding - yoghurt at 1 or 2pp or a sugar free jelly as I'm actually a child and quite like jelly and it's free. All fruit and veg are free too. 

For me it does work but I am quite monotonous in my meals. Will make chicken Provençal in slow cooker tomorrow though and that's just 4pp for the chicken and the tinned tomatoes and fresh peppers are free so if I have it with a load of green veg or even 2 or 3 mini potatoes that's also a low point meal. 

Incredibly i got to gym and changed and on floor for 6.59.59!! 

• Options

Feeling pretty sad about that Glasgow student. Not exactly looking hopeful now. 

• Options

Just saw TT's post on Facebook about her. How awful, yet another awful end to a tragic story image

• Options

Yes it looks like the terrible ending will be confirmed today. They have arrested the man she was with earlier. I guess that selfishly makes me feel a bit safer but I feel so sad for her friends and family.