Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options

Oh well done Marshallii - l don't need an excuse to get lost in t'interweb looking up obscure information for an hour, following one scifi page after another image  That's another afternoon the ironing desn't get done........

However, back on planet earth...... Got back late ish from La Belle France yesterday, getting back at all courtesy of a very understanding border person who quite understood how I had managed to get into France on my daughter's passport, having taken it by mistake.

• Options

After a long day in a hot car all the seafood really needed eating up so a high protein, low carb tea last night left me shockingly short on stamina for my early morning 6 miles in the sunshine and gales - couldn't rein myself in to a sensible pace on the way out and couldn't batter my way through the wind to a sensible pace on the way back.  

Tough but at least l looked happier than the Duke of Ed kids being blown off course into the ditches as the wind caught their huge plastic covered backpacks like windsurfers.image

• Options

I did manage 10 miles in the end, 10.3 to be precise. The first half was pretty rough and my sense of direction let me down so the second half where I simply retraced my steps was a bit quicker, 1.41 in the end which is pretty slow but probably a little slower than my planned marathon pace which is of slightly more concern. But ten miles is ten miles and I'm glad that my legs were still fairly fresh afterwards.

• Options
    Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭
    Superb 26.2 mile trail marathon today the Caythorpe Canter, highly recommend this, superb orangisation, super friendly and stunning beautiful route and scenery, but quite tough going, 5hrs 42 mins so plenty time on my feet! Now time for pizza image
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Great off-road effort, Dank-art image - and not slow, PompeyMatt if it fits with your plans.  

Crosby Baths & the Iron Men do often resemble a set looking for a sci-fi series, JT - indeed, an audition request went out only this week for folk with stories of Gormley's installation.  Excellent reference, marshallini, and more signs you're getting back to your best.image

8pm 1 hr 4 min. beach & trail on a breezy evening with only a few dog walkers & cyclists to share the surroundings.  7.3 miles.

• Options

Morning

Drizzly rain here today so far.

Rest Day but been out with Geordie.

Coffee and catch up.

• Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Great park running marshalling and off piste marathoning DanK. 

I did park run yesterday before heading off to Shropshire for the night for the step-grand-daughter's 6th birthday party ( I know, I'm too young etc...).  I seem to have a mental block with park runs because I can usually manage a sub-25 5k in the club races, but never with park run. No exception yesterday with 25.16.  I can't even blame it on the course, because it was a new one and much flatter than my usual.  Still a park run PB, and I was 4th lady, but I must admit to being a little frustrated!  I see a post-marathon running target on the horizon...

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Been troubled by a sore glute and hamstring of late which has put a dent in my running. Managed 7.38 miles today with miles 3, 4 and 5 sub-10. Not too bad (first decent run post my March half) but I've another half in three weeks so I'm bricking it a bit. Physio says there's nothing seriously wrong but I could do without the discomfort. I can imagine that getting old quite quickly over 13 miles.  It's a pain in the arse quite literally.

• Options

Afternoon everyone image

A trip to the hills today for me.

I had a 3 mile route up Moel Famau that I used to do years ago (2007-8?) and my pb was 28:58.

I have run in the Clwyds a few times in the intervening years, but you wouldn't need much more than one hand to count them.

Anyway I've extended the route by 180m to make it a 5k, which at pb pace would give me a 30:02 time.

It was hard, but I made it to the top in 37:02. The descent was cut short as I had planned to run down towards Llanganhaffal, but there was no way I had another big climb in my legs. So I stayed on the top path and settled for 6.5 miles (only a mile less)  A nice descent back to the car and job done.

I plan to go back up there weekly with the aim of going sub 30 for the climb by the end of the year (best laid plans.......)

Totals 6.51 miles - 1:04:13 @ 9:51m/m

• Options

Final run of this holiday today and again it was poor, I can't wait to be back on my local pavements and promenades on Thursday. Did 3.73 miles in just over 34 minutes which is around half way between my normal pace and my expected marathon pace, it was quite an undulating course which I'm not used to but that's still no excuse! Hopefully a nice LSR on Thursdayimage.

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Cal - I guess your weights work means the glutes don't get much rest. It was from gym work I'd put some strain on the gluteus. Not injured, just an achey tired arse.

A 20min incline run on the treadmill yesterday - lacks the majesty of the Welsh hills. Got a tiny pull in the left calf. Out today with calf sleeves and springy shoes. Gentle few miles to see how it went, then quickening up. 12.2miles in 1hr34. Seems to be something and nothing.
  • Options
    Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭
    Thanks Nessie, probably bailing out of the three forts marathon May 3rd now as have a slight calf twinge and want to be strong and injury free for the Brecons ultra! Only 7 weeks to go! ) gulp! (
  • Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

I hope everyone's arses and calves get better soon image

great fell running Marshallini

Me- a tapering Long run of 15.6 miles today.  Enjoyed it, nutrition, clothing, pacing all good and on target for the big day.  An even easier week this week, which I am struggling even thinking about image

• Options

Some great running going on here (Marshallini love the sound of the Welsh hills) and some unpleasant sounding twinges and pains. It's funny that running on holiday doesn't feel a bit like home running, it can feel like a completely different activity!

The golf ball is my new best friend as l've finally given in and looked up what it might mean that l hobble out of bed on painful feet first thing in the morning..... (sure l don't need to explain to all you experienced runners!) As a dreadful hyponchondriac l try not to consult doctor Google if l can avoid it else l end up choosing my funeral songs.

Going to try a LSR later on and see how it goes.....

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

According to my physio, I need to work my glutes more, JT! Apparently they're lazy and let the hammies do  most of the work during runs, which is part of the problem.

Lovely blue skies today so out for a 5.5 mile run with a couple of faster intervals at miles 3 and 5. Unfortunately I tripped over a tree root during the first interval and went sprawling. I managed to skin my elbow through my jacket and also graze my hip a little. (There's a photo of the elbow on the stupid o'clock thread if anyone really wants to see).

Speeds were 10:17, 10:29, 9:10 (would have been faster if I hadn't fallen over. Doh!), 10:47, 9:02 and the last half mile at 10:42 pace. Glute and ham are still grumbling but the pain doesn't increase so I guess I can live with it until these two halves are done.

Yoga shortly so I'd better get going. Physio again on Thursday.

• Options

LSR just didn't feel right so I thought I'd see what my body felt like doing and had a great variable speed 4 mile run in the glorious sunshine!  Pace varied between 11 min mile speed and 6.50 mm speed for around quarter of a mile each time.  Not sure what that'll have added to my performance long term but it was fun image and I came back smiling like a mad thing.

A curlew flying over looking like the pictures of flying birds you used to do when you were 6, celandines everywhere, dozens of chaffinches building nests and yattering about it and I don't know about it being called an exaltation of skylarks, more like an inundation of skylarks there were so many of them around.

I'm trying to add a picture but techno numpty here can't do it so you'll just have to imagine!

• Options

A'noon all

Coffee and catch up time

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Sounds like a gorgeous run, Lily. Afternoon, birky.

• Options

Hope tapering folk are finding the physical and mental adjustment tolerable.

Did 17 on Sunday, 8 with 3x 1 mile intervals yesterday and then a short and sweet 4 mile recovery today.  I can feel it tangibly ramping down now (can you ramp down?) and my body is noticing it.  Legs are feeling fresher and more bouncy on each run I go out for and it's certainly a nice feeling.  It would seem that 40-50 miles per week is about my body's limit before it starts to really feel the weight of miles taking their toll.

Out for an extended walk with the good lady and the hound (careful to never mix those descriptions up) this evening, it's stunningly lovely out so best make use of the light and weather whilst it's here.

Good evening folks.

• Options

First run in nearly four years.  

The route was largely flat, consisting of a few slight, but lengthy, inclines in places.  

As I'd not run since August 2011, I wasn't so much bothered about how quickly the route was completed; I was simply concerned about concentrating on a 1 minute run/walk routine.   At no point throughout the route did I feel as though I couldn't continue.  However, as it was my first run in almost four years, I resisted the urge to run for longer than 60 seconds at a time.  

What I found most encouraging was that my running pace didn't seem to be too far away from how I remembered my easy pace of four years ago.  

Over the past 12 months, I've dedicated a lot of gym time to strengthening my legs, so I can only assume the gains I've made in the gym supported me throughout my first run. 

Most encouraging, however, was the fact there was no discomfort felt in my knee - the reason I'd ceased running in 2011.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Race yesterday in Battersea Park.

30 minutes exactly for 5 miles, but only 3rd V50.image.

Keep going old lads, retirement is a long time.

🙂

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

marsh, I've run in the Clwydians often, including the 'A' rated fell race image - but that was many miles ago!  Wonderful country!

Porker's a tad easier: 7am  7.3 miles over Crosby Coastal Park, the Marina & up the beach as the tide lapped gently around my feet.  Friendly breeze too. image 

• Options

Hello image

MiserableGit Welcome back to running I'm 4 weeks in to a comeback after only 1 year out, all the best image

After Monday's hill run my quads were quite sore, surprisingly so as the descents weren't that extreme and I didn't work to hard on them.

Not too bad today, so off for the Capenhurst 10k loop sub 7 m/m attempt again.

Looking at the splits they deffo highlight the wind in my face along the A540, which does detract slightly from the very nice 47.9 second negative split.

Garmin gave me a 43:48.2 time for the 10k @ 7:02.8 m/m still no quite there but getting closer.

Total 6.84 miles @ 7:15m/m - 49:32 image

• Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

6 mile easy club run in the forest this evening. chatty and very enjoyable The bluebells were a highlight. Am finding the taper tricky-- am used to so many more miles!  

• Options
    marshallini wrote (see)

Hello image

MiserableGit Welcome back to running I'm 4 weeks in to a comeback after only 1 year out, all the best image

Thanks for the words of encouragement, marshallini.  Hoping to get out again tomorrow. 

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Short barefoot run in my evoskins this evening. Under 4.7miles in under 46mins. Went through the train station which slowed things down. On the way back got shouted at "you can't run" - which is either genius, or the profound disconnect between someone's desire to shout and their ability to think of anything quickly enough.
  • Options

Morning

Been out for a 30 mins easy session.

Dry, cold, no wind. Okay session.

Off soon to work a 12 hour shift

Catch up later

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Morning birky.

Gorgeous weather - first T-shirt run of the year.

3.68 miles at what I'd intended would be 10 min/mi pace but I ended up running a negative split, heh. 10:01, 10:02, 9:39 and the last bit at 9:46 pace.

Hamstring is still an annoyance but once again, isn't getting worse over the run (it actually seems to improve slightly once it's warm). I will have to see how it fares over a long run on Sunday. Seeing the physio later anyway.

• Options
    DunkyDDunkyD ✭✭✭

Hello strangers

I've been super busy with a very hectic life the last couple of months. Only managed 2 or 3 runs a week over this period and life is still pretty crazy. 5.5m yesterday morning with Arthur leading the way in the buggy! He loves it. 

I've come back to mix at taper time. Are we feeling confident Nessie and SB? SB, I think I made a bet with a donation for a sub 3. Should I be dusting off my wallet?

Chin chin
    D

• Options

Nice to hear fom you again DD!  Goodness me, the thought of a sub 3 marathon makes me feel ill and very very respectful.  In fact the thought of a marathon at all makes me very respectful!

A patchy 10.5 miler for me this morning, combining effortless 'in the zone' miles for at least half of it, with breathlessness and dizzy spells leaving me walking for a hundred yards or so a couple of times and general ouchiness the rest of the time. Hmm.

Never mind, the thirty or so junior school kids shouting 'run Forrest run, rather unimaginatively, cheered me up, as did the ducklings, the nesting swans, the handful of bluebells out just yet and the fact that l nearly fell into the canal trying to see the woodpecker l could hear. (I saw it!)