My Last Run

Comments

• Legs were too tired for the planned 6 with efforts, so just did a steady (slow) 8.08 miles mostly down the country lanes including a few undulations. 1:03:25.7 @ 7:51 m/m ave. Longest run on the comeback .

Rest day tomorrow.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Silly run today of 25.5miles in under 3hrs23. Mainly road with some miles of dirt track and fields. Knew it would be a long run but felt fine so kept extending it out. Herded some exotic looking geese down a road for a time before they flew over a hedge. I think they'd done a runner from a farm. Surprisingly my sense of direction did not totally let me down as I cut through a wood to intercept with some farm access roads. Passed through Marston Moor. Plenty of lambs, bunnies and pheasants scattered about. Saw a dead badger - they're bloody big things up close.

Good to hear from you DD. Hello RicF making a welcome visit, and MG2 on getting back running. Hello rest of the congregation.
  • Back from Spain now and frankly quite glad to see the back of the poor running I did while I was there! Back to the training plan today and my final LSR pre MK marathon which naturally was the big one and ended up at 21.2 miles in 3.38, so my longest ever run but unfortunately not my best. I knew it wouldn't be easy as yesterday was a long day of travelling with too much snacking and not enough carb loading last night. All was ok for the first 13 miles or so but then the weather warmed up and despite hydrating and taking gels my pace started to slip and the last 4 miles were 20% walking and 80% running which was disappointing. I did however cover the distance I wanted to cover and I have already got a decent 20 mile run in the bank so it's not too bad I guess.

• Feel better when l hear that hard core runners like you PM do also sometimes walk (though on much longer runs than me it has to be said).  Sounds like a very respectable time whether or no.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Welcome back, DD. image

JT - resident mileage monster! image

0700 Fine, cool, chilly morning, so I took a tour of a deserted Rimrose Valley Country Park, taking in some of the Leeds-Liverpool Canal, then through Potter's Barn Park on my way past the Marina and - inevitably - up the beach.

The hammy?  Don't ask.  7.5 miles failed to improve its humour. image

• Morning

20 mins easy. Off to work soon. Legs are feeling a bit stiff.

Dry, cold clear sky. Not a bad morning again.

Coffee and catch up.

Back later

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

I hate not running, very very slight calf strain this week after my trail marathon last Saturday, so swimming and core work only this week, not fair as the weather has been so good!! Back on it next week, training up for my 42 mile ultra, in the mean time, i painted this huge mural in East London, which strangely is quite a work out in itself! image  ( shameless self promotion! )

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11062324_812672948817452_6323089630291521870_n.jpg?oh=45dbc375665a680906fd634ff5424359&oe=559E5FB7&__gda__=1435978988_79932bb52e74ad2e850626279d87cefc

• JT - As I often find myself, i'm pretty flabbergasted at your runs.  You near enough ran a sub 3.30 marathon there.

DD - Nice to see you checking in!  I'm not a man who's ever likely to be bullish about any race predictions but the training has gone pretty well and I am feeling confident that - if everything goes to plan - the sub 3 is realistic and obtainable.  There, that was pretty diplomatic stuff eh? image

Dank - Cracking art as ever

Swits - Hope hammy is in better spirits for you soon

7 last night, 6 with the club and a mighty nice run it was too, all in the light.  Lots of marathon chatter going down as people get ready for Manchester and London in the next 10 days.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Dank - fantastic work. That'll be a nice surprise for my street art loving friend once he's back from his holiday.

swits - you and me both! My hammy has been a real bugger in the past couple of weeks.

Had physio yesterday which involved my physio grinding his elbow into it. Strangely, my calf (on the same leg) is really sore today. Go figure.

No run today but I did my physio-prescribed exercises at the gym and then did a spin class. Quite a tough one today - just as well as I have to go back to school on Monday and then the gym is closed for a refurb so no spin for a couple of weeks.

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Very busy on here and some old /new faces, especially DD- great to "see" you. Marathon training has gone well and I have loved it. No injuries, I've stuck to the schedule well and felt like I've improved so can't really ask for more than that image Did I mention that I hated the taper though?image

JT - amazing mileage and time mate

Pompey Matt- sounds like a very respectable last LSR to me and you will be ready and strong for MK

Lily- some not too shabby miles from you !

swittle and Cal- take care of your hamstrings!

Dan K- where can I see it please? I live in East London

strangely- sounds like you're enjoying the taper.  Cannot say I agree

*waves at other MLRers i've forgotten*

me- a sneaky 4 miles easy whilst I left the 14 year old to watch  the soon-to-be-7 year old and help her make birthday present list.  Wish it had been longer image Feeling generally sluggish but otherwise am enjoying the final days of the Easter hols before return to work and school routine on Monday.  Oh, and London Marathon in just over a week image

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭
    Hey Nessie, I have work all over London, my latest piece is on Sclater Street but I also have a large piece on great eastern street at the traffic lights and also a geisha on Suzzle Cafe on Brick Lane! image
  • DunkyDDunkyD ✭✭✭

Hello

Excellent prep work SB and Nessie. Sounds like you're both on course for ace PBs. Especially Nessieimage

7.2m this morning, run easy. Longest run in a month. Felt fine. Unsure how much fitness I've lost really. Parkrun in the morn with the boy in tow. Fell in front.

SB - I'll be in Daresbury/Warrington area next Weds pm / Thurs AM if you fancy a VERY easy taper run somewhere in between there and you?

Chin chin

D

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Hope the hamstrings ease soon swit and Cal. Delicious narrative and physical images from Lily and Dank respectively. About 8.4miles 1hr5:30. A bit drained from yesterday but not too bad. Sunny day.
  • Happy Days image

Ellesmere Port parkrun: episode 5.

I wasn't feeling too confident today, but the course was going to be dry so a faster time was pretty much guaranteed.

Jog down wasn't too bad. Milling around at the start I couldn't see my two target men, so was unsure how too approach the race. But Matt was there so I thought I'd try and pace off him.

The race got under way and Matt was off at the front with some young buck challenging him, I was in third, then fourth.  When we hit the long back straight I moved passed the 2nd and 3rd who'd both gone off too hard.
    At the tree turn a quick look showed no one too close, but I was far from safe.

On the back straight on lap 2 I was still in second with a gap that was starting to look safe-ish.  I just had to hold it together and I would save my parkrun stats.
    I was running almost like my life depended on it, my parkrun stats mean a lot too me.

It is yet to be officially confirmed but I finished in 2nd with a time of 19:58.5.
    (the course is variable and always long so I like to make a record of my time thru the first 5k - 19:43.2 @ 6:21m/m)

Total Miles 6.56 -  47:38.9  @ 7:16m/m

• /members/images/15788/Gallery/pr_stats_3.jpg

edit: just checked results and both my target men where there but I only really know them by name, so didn't recognise them. Beat them both thoimageimage

• Wow, great stats, well done image

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Fantastic running Marshallini. You must be very chuffed and deservedly so

This morning was 10.5 mile tapering long run at an easy / chatty pace with a fairly big group of people from the club, starting at the White Water Rafting Centre in Lee Valley and going down the river.  Followed by tea and cake at the cafe and plenty of marathon talk.  A week to go!! 

It took the edge off my taper madness too... now I know how withdrawing addicts feel...

• Quite happy with this morning's effort, 10k in 52.55 which is one of my fastest 10k runs and I also managed some really consistent splits so all in all a great run along the seafront in great conditions, best run of the month so far I'd say!

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

so i decided to run another marathon today, thats 2 in 8 days! image I rested all last week and swam about 5km, so legs felt good, and today went out and completed my 4th marathon this year, the all new Podplus Ashford and District Marathon, undulating is not the word, some beasts of hills, but great scenery and very very good marshals and water stations and friendly organisation, and a superb medal too! 

26.2 miles - 5hrs 20 mins on very fatigued and tired legs and whole system.....

• Great running from Marsh and Matt there.  Ridiculous running from Dank.  How on earth do you do that?  How do you train for what you do?  One marathon will floor me for the following 2 or 3 weeks.  Do you run these full tilt or do you take them easy, knowing you have more to come?

Ness - Still struggling with the taper?  You are right, i'm enjoying mine.  I do find the 70 mile weeks can get draining and time consuming so I welcome the reduced schedule.

DD - Back up north!  I'll message you image

13 miler with a mate on Saturday and then 7 easy today.  Unexpected frost this morning.

• Just a speedy little 3 miler for me yesterday morning, in the sunshine before heading off to see the in laws. Averaged *just* over 9 minute miles which is quick for me so quite pleased. I reckon, like Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz and his poetry, l'm on here to throw into sharp relief all of your ridiculous achievements.  Two marathons in just over a week indeed. image

• DunkyDDunkyD ✭✭✭

Hola all

We ran the local parkrun on Saturday and I managed to negotiate the numbers with the buggy and Arthur. There were 450 runners! (150 was the tops when I used to run the Cheltenham one regularly) The first lap was slow and a bit stop-start-y. We manager to get round in 24:17 and won the buggy race of 4!

Chin chin

D

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Well it was slightly mad of me, but wanted to see if I could do it, well thats a lie actually, I knew I could do it, just wanted to see how i felt after. Training wise, i have been keeping my fitness high, so after tokyo marathon, i rested then resumed training at around my peak weekly mileages, and did this for each marathon after. I felt so good after a week of totally not running that i knew i could go out and run another marathon. Tokyo marathon i went out steady and didn't give it 100%, maybe 70%, well within my limits, and for the other three the same, aim was just to complete. So the marathon yesterday I saw it as a long slow run, and just plodded along, around 2.5 - 3 mins mins slower than my normal road race, marathon pace, i wasn't trying for a time at all, just completing and running wearing my kit I will use for my ultra....all good fun image

• My last run was Sunday 19th April 2015 - My first Marathon in Hannover, Germany 2015.

Final time: 02:57:10 - Under 3 hours and therefore I can use this time for a better starting position for Berlin in September! 

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Superb time Martin - under 3hrs with some to spare.

Great 5k times marshallini. Even coming back from a long period out your speed is still very strong. Loving the blase treatment of miles dank-art. As you're hitting ultras I guess a marathon is a turn 'round the block.

13.5miles in under 1hr39. First mile slow as ever so playing catch up on the time. Eventually got into a decent maintaining pace. The point of the run was to explore a new cycle route opened a few days ago. Not so exciting but a lovely sunny day.
  • Nice work Martin image

Top run today.

Monday is my Moel Famau Day.
    Did the same run last week. The time to climb the 5k (1150ft ascent) up to Jubilee Tower was lowered from 37:01 to 32:19, nice sizeable chunk that, I'd've been happy with 35 minutes-ish.
    To tell the truth I felt great, it was almost like the old days when I ran the hills very regularly. Deffo can see a sub 30 on the horizon image

I didn't really want to save anything for the descent, if I had to I'd've just jogged back, but once off the tower and breathing a bit easier I still felt full of running and gave a good effort back to the car.

Total time 57:17 (last week 1:04:13) 6.51 miles @ 8:47m/m

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

great running all and am particularly impressed with Dan k. I thought I was obsessed with miles image

Strangely, re- tapering, feeling better today, but then I did some hills this evening at a very conservative pace- 8 reps.  So am staving off the withdrawal symptoms image Also, I was *not* doing 70 miles a week.  I think my max was 50 or thereabouts.  Excited!!

• Thank you ^^ - Not running for a few days, hurts a little now! 

• Dank - I suspected you probably weren't clogging it but impressive all the same.  I think I may try a gentle marathon one day because an all out marathon absolutely destroys me for weeks after.

Talking of which, that's some effort for a first marathon Martin, some potential there.  Well done.

Ness - Me too!  My missus thinks i'm a bit odd I think, she thinks I should be dreading 26 miles that leaves me grey faced and limping....but I can't wait image

Did 7 miles at recovery pace yesterday morning and then developed the cold that I could feel coming on from Sunday.  It isn't a stinker and I should imagine it'll be gone by Sunday but still, timing is everything eh?  Didn't run this morning, might run later in the warm sun.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

After a couple of dicey weeks of aches, pains and niggles, I managed 11.5 miles at an average of 10:15 pace on a lovely sunny morning. Richmond half looks to be on. I had had my doubts. See how I feel over the next few days but I'm very hopeful.