manchester marathon 2015

Comments

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

warm up: depends on my fitness, if I am good then I will need to do a warm up with strides as I have sports induced asthma. if not healthy then I will only be jogging so will not need to do the warm up. 

last year's finish was a tired lumber over the line, Dublin was a "fat Ronaldo" type goal celebration.  the arms wide thingy.  didn't plan it just happened. image

• ha ha Gary W ...classic photo that I think embodies the 'bittersweet' marathon finish....pure agony etched on face but the finish time starts with a 2 !! I'd defintely take that Sunday. 

• ok an amend to the meeting place!  Hope i get it right this time image

/members/images/759960/Gallery/race_village_0.jpg

And a couple more things i left off the list

Taxis

For anyone needing a taxi the best local firm is called New Moon/Robin Hood 0161 865 1010

Showers

For anyone not in a local hotel who may want a shower afterwards there is a leisure centre only a few minutes walk from the finish.  You can pay for a swim (£3.60) but just use the showers and leave.  There is a map here

Enjoy!

John

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Gary - did your chip time come in under the 3:00 hours that day ?

• It must have done. You can't get a chip time quicker than the clock time.
  • Nope that's bollocks from me. You can't get a chip time slower than the clock Haha. So if the clock is sub 3 every chip will be
  • This is scary, people leaving the office and wishing me good luck for Sunday.

Do you think we can postpone the race for a few weeks????

• Yes......chip time should always be quicker than gun time. The clock is obviously gun time................Chip time was 2:59:44

• No backing out now JJ. All those weeks training in the rain, snow, sleet is now going to be put to the test.

This is the good bit. 

I love racing.......that's why I spend ££££s each year entering events. I don't tell Mrs W. the cost though.

People quite often ask why I do endurance events..................cos I can!

• Good luck everyone running. 

Warm up for me is a gentle jog for about half a mile. Done. Your first marathon mile will always be an easy one anyway, so that kinda is your warm-up anyway. 

Remember kids. Don't be tempted to join the adrenaline wave as I call it of runners hoofing it over the first mile. Restrain yourself and enjoy overtaking them from 10 miles onwards. image

• Well that's it.  Out tonight and then leaving first thing in the morning.  See you all on the start line and good luck to everybody!!!

• JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    I do marathons cos I love the challenge of getting super fit,the buzz that you get when you cross that finish line is special,not Celtic beating Barca type euphoria but very close.
  • Yep Sean 1st 20 miles don't be an idiot, last 6 don't be a wuss
  • Another runner here traveling over from Sheffield on the morning of the race.

With regards to parking, was thinking about the Lowry, the website says the car park is open from 7.30am, but does this include sundays?

Just want to get the race started now, mainly so I can get closer to that beer at the finish line (6 weeks without a drink has been a killer!)

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

I do marathons because I love it.

• I run marathons because I can, because I like the challenge, because I like the ritual of a post marathon Guiness, because I meet interesting people with good interests (marathon running ???? because I love being in big races- London BerlinParis Manchester- and small marathons Telford track and so many more reasons
  • Way too prepared Alan.. I think half of my kit is still in the wash ! I can see my race number pinned to my pinboard and I found some safety pins before in my lose change tray. I suppose I better get more organised really image

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Hi all. Sorry if it has been asked before but just looking for a little reassurance. 

I am planning on getting the metro from Altrincham. Is there parking next to it (leisure centre from Google maps?) and any idea on the best arrival time to ensure a space? How long is the metro journey to Old Trafford?

My support crew are also planning on doing the same, albeit later. If the immediate parking is full then are there any other recommendations for parking nearby?

Many thanks

Josh

• AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭

SJ - Only realised this morning my shorts were in the washing basket so had to get the washing machine on quick sharp. Thankfully the weather is lovely so they dried in no time! image

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

no parking at Alty mate, there may be at the leisure centre cant remember to be honest. 15 minute journey I would say, if that long.

some roads will be closed too so if you don't know the area you may get a bit lost there are lots of double yellows too.

dane road met station has a pub next to it called the bridge you'd be able to park there.

sale and timperley are near where we run too so same problem with the roads.

the address for dane road met station is Dane Road, Sale M33 7QH. you will need to get off the M60 motorway at Carrington, again because of potential road closures.

this is all I can think of Magic or Robin may have a different option.

• Josh there is loads of parking at altrincham leisure centre. You will have no problems at all. There is also tesco and street parking worry not.
  • Anyone else suffering from taper ailments.  I have the usual phantom (hopefully) sore throat, headache and fatigue that I usually get before a marathon which stress me out! 

For all those living in Manchester is it blowing a gale it is here in derbyshir eek!

• I am doing it!! Does anyone know, from previous years, what the traffic gets like in the city centre?
  • The weather is perfect marathon weather in Manchester at the moment.

• I've just noticed for the baggage it says a 'small kit bag'. Will I be alright putting a standard size sports hold all on there does anyone know?
  • Forecast for sunday looks pretty good.
  • Helen taper ailments yep hats normal. Mine is trying to keep positivity for a smashing Pb when my friend coach says I can , running pals say I'm in good shape, I feel reasonably good - so maybe the realistic goal is 9:30 pace all way for new pb - but stick with 4 HR pacers as I did in Paris last year which nearly gave pb

Positivity optimism hope grounded in training well and an overall belief in a good day, positive self talk is key
  • sscssc ✭✭✭

Good luck everyone, can't wait!  Embrace the pain!!image

• Well everyone!  It's nearly time!  I am shitting myself but trying to stay calm!  It's hard.

Sounds like everyone is happy with Sunday's forecast and all details finalised.  I've loved reading and taking part in this thread- a lot of people on here have put in a huge amount of work and will churn out really impressive marathon times. 

On race day I'll be wearing a yellow Marie Curie vest that says 'ALI' on the back, and front, in black lettering.  On the back the lettering is a bit squint as I'm not as good with the iron as JJ image Wish I'd sent you my vest!  I'll also be wearing blue Nike shorts and white New Balance trainers.  If anyone sees me please come up and say hi, I'll be looking out for those of you who I know what you'll be wearing!

I'm at my parents house right now as we're all going to Manchester tomorrow.  Getting the train about 9:30 I think.  Can't wait!