Sub 3 Tom: #asics262

Comments

• Tom, be proud. You are one of the hardest working, loyal and dedicated guys I have met. You absolutely are a sub 3 runner. Running in 20deg heat and cramping up and still achieving 3:00:11 is mind blowing after coming through training in much cooler conditions without cramping and powering through injuries. You did not let anyone down in the slightest, and I know how proud of you your Grandad is, he told me face to face and I could see it in his eyes. I know those 11 seconds will eat you up and that it will lead to you persuing to knock them off in another marathon in the not too distant future, and good on you for doing that, it demonstrates your commitment and drive and honesty. But please try and look at the whole perspective aswell and recognise your achievement. I am outstanded by your ability and am proud to have been a part of this amazing experience with you. Be sure to rest up and take some time to relax and enjoy yourself - no work emails! Do a few runs for enjoyments sake, no watch, no timings, no pacing, just time to get some fresh air, run free, and clear your mind of everything, it will be invaluable.

• Hey Tom, I hope you're not still dwelling on those pesky seconds.  You needn't be.  You did everyone so proud yesterday, we're so impressed and in awe at what you achieved.  It was a massive PB but I know that you won't be thinking about that, just focusing on that 3 hour target.  PLEASE try to be proud of yourself, you are an amazing runner.  Take it easy and come back with a new focus.  That 1 mile race will give you something else to focus on.

• Wow, I’m overwhelmed by all the support guys.

I gave everything throughout the training schedule, and the whole Asics target 26.2 experience has been awesome. I’ve loved sharing it with you guys on here and I hope that the forum has been interesting for everyone. Personally I’ve learnt an incredible amount from all of you and I’m really looking forward to hearing how you all get on in your respective marathons over the next few weeks.

Sitting at home now, it feels like there is a massive hole in my life! Haha.

Golfer – nightmare. Sorry to hear you were taken out by some dogs and hope you’re ok now? Was the owner was suitably apologetic.

I see Edinburgh is 6 weeks away which is appealing. I may see if I can get a place there. 

• Hi Tom,

I'm unlurking myself very briefly! I came and said hi at the Crystal Palace track sessions and admitted to the dark secret of being a chronic lurker in the asics threads- particularly Amy's as we were following very similar Steve Smythe plans. Just wanted to add to the congratulations above and hope that a day on you can appreciate just what a huge achievement it was.

I absolutely get that the 11 seconds must be enormously frustrating - it's almost harder being that close to your goal than missing it by miles. But ultimately it is only 11 seconds and 11 seconds doesn't get to make you a better or worse runner, or more or less successful. On a different day it could easily have gone very differently and next time it will! Hope you'll still keep coming to track and that you're enjoying a well deserved rest!!! 

Laura

• Tom, a massive well done. I am so sorry you did not get all that you wished for but that is a one heck of a PB and nothing can take that away. Perhaps it was the warmth that caused the cramp but please do not think that this will happen in the next marathon. You have done yourself so proud and you will get that sub 3, there is no doubt whatsoever about that. I will enjoy your progress on twitter and you now that if you need any nutritional advice I will help as much as I can.

All the very best to everyone doing London and I will watch this space to see when (and not if) Tom gets his sub 3.

Until next year.

Ruth

• Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭

Hi Tom, glad to see you have taken this as a learning experience and something to build on...

Hope you don't think I'm being too forward, is there a way I can stay in touch as I would like to follow your progress as you get faster and faster and possibly join you once I get my mojo back in time for my next race..

• Tom It was tough for you yesterday. To have given so much and come so close, it is a hard one to take for you and I say that first hand yesterday. I know you have got a love/hate relationship with yesterday and I understand those mixed emotions. I hope with time you realise how special and impressive, knocking such a chunk out of a PB is just brilliant!!   For me you have been great company along the way. Always got a smile, a word of encouragement, a hint or a tip to help, appreciated. Thanks for the support, might lean on you some more as I head towards 3.15 (hopefully)  I cant wait to see how you progress and smash 3.00 as you will do, next time i am sure. 

• Hey Tom, great run on Sunday, but I'm sorry things didn't turn out quite how you were hoping. I think the weather did add another dimension to the race. It was great saying hi and meeting you in person on the course. I have really enjoyed following your blog and your training, thank you for keeping it interesting! You definitely have the sub3 in you and I'm sure it'll come right in the next race. Massive congratulations on the huge PB though. I hope you enjoy some time off now.
  • Tom- I can't believe that you even came close to 3 hours with the leg cramps- That is hugely impressive and shows great resolve! Once again, gutted that it was so close for you- I'm sure you'll nail it on your next attempt!

• Hello Tom,

I thought I'd crawl out of the shadows to say well done for your achievement. I and the guys at work I run with (one has done a 3:00:11 too but not yet avenged!) have followed your exploits over the last few months with interest, not least as I'm aiming to break 3 hours in a couple of weeks at London. I imagine there are many others who have followed you as well and not posted.

It's of no consolation now but you will clearly break 3 hours soon enough (in fact, you have broken 3 hours as you will have almost certainly run a few hundred metres further in the race - though you don't get the shiny certificate) - just don't rush into anything too soon and set yourself back. It takes a long time to recover fully from a marathon (mentally and emotionally as well as physically!), especially as it sounds like you spent a good portion of the race in the red zone, which is when most of the muscular damage will be done. Wonder what coach Steve thinks about recovery?

I tried to view your splits but can't seem to get them on the website, are you able to post them by any chance?

Once London is done I'm hoping to start coming down to the track at CP so might see you there.

Mark

• Hi Tom, I know I've given you my congratulations and commiserations in person on the day but just wanted to post them again. No offense to the brilliant performances of the other runners - Tim and his injury comeback, Amy hitting her sub-4 target in style, Andrea's new PB in tough conditions - but you had the toughest challenge by far and you performed on the day with a grit and focus that most runners can only dream of having. Kudos to you - we are not worthy! image I'm not going to wish you good luck for the next marathon as you won't need it - if ever there was a dead cert sub-3 runner it's you!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Tom - I can only echo the sentiments of the other people who have left such amazing comments, most of them without being paid to do so either (come on, we all know that Superman takes backhanders)image

Joking aside, that was a totally epic run. Many others would have DNF'd but you kept on fighting and got over the line in a time most of us can only dream of. That experience will be invaluable going into future campaigns.  

It has been brilliant following you and I hope you will hang around these forums so we can all hear what you do next. 

Very well done!

Golfer - how is the body post dog collision?

Saffa Mark - how did you get on, did I miss it? 

• Re recovery - entries are still open for Manchester ! - obviously that would be very foolish but a marathon is possible in over a month ie Edinburgh.

It wouldn't be wise if it had been a flat out 26 all the way and on last legs a 3:00 had been run but Tom was running well within himself for 18 miles and then the calf stopped him running at full speed thereafter and he therefore didn't run himself into the ground in terms of his heart rate and energy levels even if he gave everything he could.

I still think Tom was in sub 2:50 shape judging by some of the people I know who have broken 3:00 in last week so the well shouldn't be totally dry.

Presuming the muscles are back to normal by the weekend, then it's feasible to do a few weeks training but in the next week, it should be slow, easy, short and ideally on grass.

well back in the last century when I was less older and less wiser but fitter, I have twice done a pair of sub-3s in a week and from experience the second one was always harder but less of an odeal if the first one isn't flat out effort-wise.

There will be a better training effect from the month plus gap though you often don't find out if you have fully recovered until past 20 miles of the second. 

I would have probably preferred had Tom focused on his speed in next month than do more endurance and waited until autumn or next spring but if I was Tom and been so close, I would want to run one asap too.

• Malcs - I had a great race, I actually quite enjoyed the sun, I think the warmer weather reminded me a bit of South Africa (where I'm from if there name isn't obvious ????). I'm ecstatic with my time of 2:49 (a 30min PB). Probably started out a bit quickly and slowed down quite a bit in the last 2 miles but otherwise a perfect race for me. Over the last 12ish weeks Tom and I have had near identical 10km and HM results so I'm sure on his day he'll smash his sub3 and probably get closer to 2:45.
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Great result Saffa mark. I'm from SA as well so the warmer weather doesn't bother me either.. I going to be hunting a sub 2:50 in October so hope I can get the training upto where it needs to be..
  • Tom - well done for digging in and posting such a great new PB. It would have been so easy to give in with eight miles to go, so lots of respect.

Be good to see you back at the track - when you've had a chance to recover!
  • Super effort Tom and an inspiration for me for this Sunday in the Zurich Marathon where I also will try to get under 3hours. Have also  religiously followed the Asics 26.2plan and now in last phase of Tapering.

For you to Beat your Marathon PB by 36 minutes is a great achievement in itself.

I will probably stay with the 3 hour pacemaker for at least the first half as I tend to go off too fast and since  the target is under 3 hours I am happy to accept 2hours 59 59.

Followed your training and blog with interest . You certainly had bad luck with the cramps and that can happen on the day to anyone. I am sure You will definitely crack the 3hours sometime this year.

I will pray for no cramps in the last 6k.

Best of luck with the next one.

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Amazing effort, Tom. You can't legislate for cramp. If I could swear about it hear I would!

I've really enjoyed reading about your progress and have tried to follow the same training programme a week later - in advance of Manchester this week. 

If you're felling recovered, I think you should give Edinburgh a go. I know I'd be coming at the bit in your situation! I think Steve gives some great advice above. Best of luck if you do. 

• Lozellen, I remember you saying hi at Crystal Palace! I will definitely be back at the track sessions once the legs have recovered.

Ruth, thanks for everything over the past 4 months – you’ve got me eating very differently from before and I believe that has contributed towards PBs in 5km, 10km, HM & marathon. I would be interested to discuss why you think I may have cramped on the day, and if there is anything differently from a nutritional perspective that I could have done? How much do salts play their part?

Iain, absolutely, I plan on staying on this forum for the foreseeable future but can also be reached at tom_rann@hotmail.com

Saffa Mark, congratulations on 2:49. Awesome running! When you ran off ahead, I knew you were on for a quick time!

Maw501, thanks – yes I did run 26.35 so frustratingly did run the marathon distance in sub 3! Doesn’t make it any better. Best of luck at London.

Malcs, thanks! I don’t think I would have finished had I not had you guys on the forum and the rest of the asics team in Paris.

CL, thanks – look forward to catching up at the track once recovered.

Swisssteve, I’m delighted to have given you some inspiration and hope you smash 3 in Zurich! Let us know how you get on….

Sorequads, appreciate the kind words and best of luck in Manchester. Are you going to follow a race plan? Edinburgh is appealing and the timing looks good.

My Paris splits were as follows:

6:36, 6:50, 6:42, 6:45, 6:35, 6:37, 6:36, 6:39, 6:46, 6:34, 6:32, 6:34, 6:36, 6:37, 6:37, 6:37, 6:44, 6:58, 7:05, 7:38, 7:21, 7:37, 7:02, 6:59, 7:11, 7:14, 1:58

• Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭

Wow Tom, very impressive splits considering the latter stages were plagued by cramps..if you manage to get a place for edinburgh, it will be kind to your legs as its downhill to start and flat the remainder. Gutted I'll be missing this year as I have run it the last 3 years (schools go back the following day).  

Thankfully I seem to be injury free, I played 90 min of football yesterday and no issues aside from very stiff legs..I might download the asics training plan and start it early just to get my fitness back up..

• RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭

Hey Tom - how are the legs feeling now?  Your splits are pretty impressive and still fairly consistent after your cramp set in - soo unlucky!  I also assume you will still get a GFA place at next years London marathon now (sub 2:45 plan) if you fancied it?

Iain - this is the 2nd year I have followed the Asics sub 3 training plan.  It has really improved my performance across all distances.  Just hoping that all goes to plan for next Sunday (and no heatwavesimage)!!!!

• Many congratulations, Tom. I think your time is a fantastic achievement, you have incredibly reduced your PB in a category where going down by few seconds requires a more than considerable effort, so looking at your time pre and post Asics, I can only say that you have done a fantastic job. And when I read about the circumstances you had to run part of the race with the cramps and even thinking that you may not be able to finish, your achievement is even greater. I can understand your mixed feelings on those few seconds but I truly believe that you are a sub 3 marathon runner to all of us. And I am sure time will sooner than later officially confirm that. So, big congratulations and I wish you all the best!!!

• Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭

Roundman - best of luck for next Sunday... I have never followed a training plan as I struggle to follow it as I tend to run on gut instinct rather then a scheduled plan. I think having a partner to run with would help bring some structure to my training..last year I raised the bar fairly high so have a lot of work to do to better it...

• Iain, following a training schedule was massive for me. I found it pushes you to do sessions which you may not feel like doing otherwise. Injury free – brilliant!

Roundman, legs are probably back to 95%, but am having pain with the arch of one foot. Plan is to rest completely this week and start doing a few easy short runs next week and then back to full training shortly after!

Isabel, that’s very nice of you to say.

Best of luck to all doing Manchester this weekend…. 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Saffa Mark - wow, that's an absolutely awesome result! Well done!

Sorequads - are you carbo loading today? I seem to be getting through the food mountain a bit too easily image Best of luck on Sunday!

Tom - I had a similar arch/base of pos tib issue post York. I ran through it and ended up taking 2 months to get rid of it so don't make the same mistake, get it sorted before you dive back into training.

I found the biggest help was switching shoes to ones with some support. That way I could still run as it healed up without making it any worse.

However, you're already in support shoes aren't you? Did you use the more minimal ones for Paris? Could be that doing that big effort in shoes with less support caused the problem and all you need is a bit of massage and rest. Returning to your other shoes may be enough to help nurse it back. 

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Thanks Macls. Carb load indeed in full swing! Although I don't go quite the whole hog - the full food list scares me it is so big! Good luck to you too. Give it everything! I'm getting nervous...

How's the body Tom? 'Tuesday legs' gone now? Hope the foot is ok. 

• Enjoy the food guys! You may be getting through it easily now, but this time tomorrow........

Legs are back to normal thanks sorequads, just the foot which is causing me to limp around rather slowly! It's actually better when barefoot and is painful wearing supported shoes. Seems to go against logic! I did wear the lighter less supported shoe during the race, but I didn't feel any discomfort until a few hours post run. I'm sure it will be fine in a few days. 

Looking forward to seeing how you guys get on this weekend and have my fingers crossed for the sub-3 (not that you'll need any luck!). 

• Be patient Tom - wait until foot has recovered - you may have been running awkwardly in that last 6 miles because of the cramping.

Good luck anyone doing Manchester or Llanelli.

Pace it well Malcs.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks Steve - aim is to stay as close to sub 3 pace for as long as possible and see how far I can get image

Nerves picking up here too. Worried about my knee but then it could be maranoia. We will see tomorrow!

Cheers Sorequads! Have a great one.

Hoping KR does the business too.

• Malcs - all the best for tomorrow.

Thomas - I feel your pain having failed to do sub 3 the first time by 49 secs myself. 

You say that you "didn't feel any discomfort until a few hours post run" - wasn't the cramp you suffered discomfort? Can't believe you ran in different shoes than what you had trained in. This is almost certainly the cause of your cramp and I am really surprised that none of your advisors warned against this. When you are pushing hard to achieve a goal it can be all down to the detail. I have always worn the same make/model of shoe. I buy a new pair for London but make sure that I have broken them in for a 100 miles by the day of the race.

My best advice for next time is change nothing from your long training runs and I am sure you will do it.