RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi AA, Might just have a look on Amazon...you knew those hills were there, you just kept ignoring them. image . Where do you start in London?

Hi Chick, Good mileage, sounds like an easy run was on the cards anyway?

Hi 2old/Barry, Spikey ball does the trick nicely image

First signs of the taper today 4 miles at a moderate pace. 7:20mm average. Then a bit of S&C at the gym later.

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Bon Voyage AA - hope the foot holds out so we see you at the Green Start.

Glad to see you all starting to taper......

Tiring day yesterday - up at 5.15am, flight to Belfast, funeral, visit to much deteriorated  Mother, pep talk to depressed brother who needs a hip replacement and has recently had a minor stroke. Pep talk to 'grunty' teenage nephew who needs a boot up the proverbial to get his act together for applying to University (Aunty O4S is the deemed family expert) and then a four mile run carrying various loaves of Irish bread and 3 paperback books on my back to just catch the bus to the airport. Back in the house at 23.15 feeling more tired than if I had run back to back marathons. BUT it did mean I have made it down to racing weight - not that I expect it to last!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- not surprised you are feeling it after that collection of impressive runs. What's pencilled in as your next race? Ah...the Newton Hills...doing them twice is enough .

Nell- don't have a spikey ball image trying to make do with a tennis ball. What's the technique? Your 4 were a good deal faster than mine today...nothing new there 

O4S- down ?? to racing weight...what about all the cake you've scoffed? Tough trip there 

Interesting day for me- went to a doctors appointment which I forgot is tomorrow, late for work as one of our Shetland ponies is sick and I had to chase it around the field(only interval session so far)for the vet,arranged a day trip to the Monaco Grand Prix,sorted out my daughters visa to India, and even did some work and then later on caught the disobedient pony again for its medicine. 

Glute bit of a problem ....definitely a pain in the @rse

Finally 4 easy miles on the TM. 8.5mm. 

• 2old - sit your bum on the side and roll around over the ball trying to put as much weight as you can on it. Graduate up to golf ball!!! 

O4S - please don't say you've lost any more weight?! You're tiny!! That sounds like a very hard day. 

Baz/2old - hope the butt pains ease  Taper madness  I hope.

nell - it's all coming togsther for you 

my number is 16218 and I start at 3:50pm Monday afternoon for you guys. i will try and post when I can. Au revoirimage

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi o4s, Must you take the ultra element to everything? image

HI 2old, I usually start off with the spikey ball concentrating on certain problem areas and applying pressure and holding for what seems like forever, but usually around 45-60 secs. Then as AA advises, I apply pressure and roll around the whole area of the glute. Touch wood, I haven't really had call to use the spikey ball on this schedule. Back in the autumn I suffered lower back / top of right glute tightness. With a combination of spikey ball, cold baths and stretching (particularly 'Lying Leg Tuck Hip Stretch') I soon got sorted. Nice 4 miles yesterday

Hi AA, Hoping all goes well, yes I am hoping it comes together at some point image

Out for the last MP run proper today, 1.5 mile warm up and cool down. Then 6 miles at MP. Ran just under, which I have done pretty much on the MP runs. Will this help me psychologically on the day? Who knows! Splits today: 6:43, 6:40, 6:47, 6:46, 6:41, 6:45. Lovely morning and the run felt ok throughout, that was probably as it was 6 mile MP as opposed to 10.

• Nell - Very tasty MP miles. Think I do that stretch, pigeon stretch?

AA - Good luck and enjoy.

O4S - Good to see you're having the odd easy day.image

Spiky ball, think it's meant to go in the tumble dryer,  is getting a lot of use, today I can sort of walk which is definate progress, if VLM was this Sunday I would not be there, but I'm hopeful of making the start.

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Barry, Yes that is the stretch. I think it is the most effective one I use. Keeping fingers crossed for you. Which start are you on?

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Good news and bad news at the hospital today. The tumour was (as expected) malignant. The skin graft has taken brilliantly and the tumour was completely excised BUT the clear margin is minimal and so it was all for nothing and they have to operate again and take a 'shark bite' out of my ear image. Luckily I can wait a few weeks and we agreed to get VLM and the 100 mile event out of the way before more surgery.

5 mile run to the hospital and back via the post office

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S-that's not what you wanted to hear ...positive vibes from me ((())). No doubt you won't let it get in the way of your run challenge for the year

Barry- think I can see some positivity in your frustration. You've gotta get there. Keep on rolling

Nell-nice short MP run 

AA-hope the flight went well and you're soaking it up ...Boston Strong.

Glute still tender. Bit of a worry ..May have to take painkillers 

4 Weds, 10k last night, 4 today. YKW tomorrow .....won't be flat out. 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Blimey, O4S image   that's a bit scary to say the least. Hope the shark bite gets rid of the big C once and for all. I think you've had your fair share by now ...

Oh yeah, Boston Strong image

Ouch, 2old. Hope the glute settles image

Did mile reps last night image  although I was secretly pleased as they went 7:03, 7:01, 7:03 and 6:56. Usually the 6:56 would have been the first rep and the last one would most likely have been a 7:15 or therabouts image

I got a real bad stitch during the final rep though. So that was a bugger to finish. 6 mile recovery run this morning and the stitch came back about 2 miles in. I had to finish in a funny run-walk-hobble style to keep the stitch at bay. Not nice image

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Chick, Nice running. You sound as though you are getting back there really well. Very pleased for youimage

Hi 2old, Hope that glute settles down...

Hi o4s, Not great news there, but a bit of a silver lining in the delay...

Rest day today. Early run tomorrow as I am taking my son over to Hampden for the Hibs semi-final. Got to meet the boys at Waverley Station at 8:45, so away from the house before 8 to get the bus... so will be out early in the AM running, no rest for the wicked image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell- it's cup semi weekend in England too. You're lucky seeing your team as I've had to give my Liverpool tickets at Wembley to my boys as I can't get there.  Hope our respective teams reach their finals. You'll have got your run done by now. im sure all went well. 

Barry -hope the glute is on the mend. Mine is about the same. 

AA- been to the expo yet ?

Chick- tasty reps. Next time eat the pizza after the run and you will avoid the stitchimage

Ykw today with my two daughterS which was a first. 20.11 by me and 24xx by them. I've now equalled my YKW pb three times

12 tomorrow and just ticking over from then on. 

• good morning from Boston everyoneimage

o4s - that's such a shame, you'll have no ear left soon! Least you can be positive in the fact it's not there at the mo. (())

chick - when ya gonna race?!! Flying again image

bazza - keep stretching and rolling. keeping everything crossed. 

Nell - still looking good for sub 3!

2old - nice ykw. A sub 20 awaits you after London  

been to expo. There's a lot of purple jackets wandering around town now! I can't jinx it and wear mine until I've finished it. There's a lovely buzz about the place now as it fills up with runners. I'm getiing excited. Not run for a week now and my foot feels ok. I've done a lot of walking, the trolley tour, cheers bar, freedom trail. Today the mighty Reading take on arsenal in the FA cup and priority was to find a bar to watch this - which we have! Might go whale watching this afternoon or a river cruise. I think tomorrow migt be a long day!!!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    That's the spirit, AA. Last year's was luminous orange image but I did the same and didn't wear mine until after the race. I felt I had to earn it. Enjoy the weekend in Boston. Hope you spot some whales image
  • kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Hey folks - how are you all?  Quick check in pre VLM to see who I may see at the green start!  I'll be there with a friend who ran a pb of 3.31 in brighton last week and is planning on trying to better that in London - she's well 'ard so while its a big ask I'm not gonna bet against her!

Trainings been going OK for me - clocked a couple of HM PBs (1.32 and 1.33) in Feb and Mar, and despite running out of steam a bit on my recent runs got the confidence back a bit today with a 20.25 parkrun - fastest for me this year (and a minute faster than a confidence sapping proper shit run last week!).  Gonna go for 3.20 in London, would love for 3.15 but realistically I think that would be crash and burn-tastic right now...

AA - have a great run in Boston!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Oompa Boo to your marathon.  I was tracking you and it was all going so well.....   I hope you're feeling better now?  How is you hip?  And you knees?  What plans do you have now?

Chick - I can't believe that race!  But it sounds like the chaos at the beginning suited you.  You're doing really well!

Pink/Barry - well done on your tri!  Sounds like you both did well.  Barry the swimming will be my slowest too.  I'm expecting about 15 minutes for the 500m image, thankfully my biking and running are going reasonably well (although still a good minute down on running pace). 

O4S - ultras, 5ks... still as mad as ever I see!  And all that crap in Belfast.  You are a good Aunty!  Sorry to hear about the surgery but glad you can get the races out the way first. 

Nell - you are so fast!  Have you decided on your marathon strategy?  I have a friend coming to stay for the Edinburgh half so will be supporting the marathon too.  Its the same day as Brolish runs Comrades so will be tracking too. image

2old - I don't know how you have any time to fit work in!  How's the glute?  You ran a 5K on it??? lol

Barry - how's your glute?

AA - have a fab time in Boston!  It sounds really exciting.  What's the weather like?

Is anyone doing Manchester?

kfc - sounds like you've been going well. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA-starting to get the Boston atmosphere eh? Rest rest and rest today 

Minni- got to keep the glute from seizing up someway! What are yo up to? Next challenge?

kFC- go for sub 3.15. You can do it. Which start are you at? Joini g the Green start party? 

Final Sunday run completed 12.75m at 7.26mm av including 2 warm up miles. Easy week apart from a couple of MP miles midweek. Now fingers crossed for Liverpool ....and Nell's Hibs

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Where am I up to??? Well! I hand just returned from an 11 miler, which turned out to be a nice progressive run, starting at 9:15 for the first mile and ending with 7:58 for the last! That the furthest I've gone so very happy. Hopefully I'll soon be able to ditch this stupid swimming..!!
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- that's good ...looks like you're nearly there.  Got an Autumn marathon in mind?imageHow can you possibly think about giving up swimming now you've got that wet suit?  

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Marines marathon in Oct 2old!

And it's 4 years ago today that me and AA ran London together and both got our 3:28 PBs. Happy memories.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Great run from you, Minni image

19 for me today. Longest since Boston I think. It felt great. Really looking forward to get stuck into proper marathon training after Prague image
  • Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old, Well done on the Parkrun and getting in the last LR of 12.75 miles this morning. Alas it was not Hibs day yesterday, hit the post, crossbar etc.. but the ball just would not go in the net and then on the 75th minute Falkirk again exposed Hibs weakness and put in a cross which they put away. Story of the season against Falkirk I am afraid. imageThey are a big organised side. who play to their strengths. But it was a good day out and I even managed a cheeky couple of pints of Guinness, when in Rome image Good luck later on 2old, shame you can't be there.

Hi AA, Good to hear you are getting in a bit of sightseeing. My Headquarters are over in Hopkington, so have had a few trips over to Boston in my time. I remember one time I was having a look around Harvard and came accross some guys playing an impromptu cricket game, and got a game with them. Never thought I would play cricket in Boston! Best of luck tomorrow!image

Hi KFC, Glad to hear things are going well, I am a green also..

Hi Minni, So glad to hear you are getting the miles in again, that is super news. Bet it feels good? Marines Marathon sounds fab...image training has gone pretty well thanks, and London has came around quickly, so much so that I really haven't had much time to think about it, not sure whether that is good or not? I will be at Edinburgh also for the Marathon. I am hoping to be running with someone I was supposed to run London with, if he manages to get his ankle sorted..

Hi Chick, Well done on the 19 today, things really seem to be looking up now. 3 miles more than I have done in my Longest run on this plan!

Well up early yesterday, which was hard on a Saturday morning. Out the house before 6. Up again this morning sharp as my wife was out walking with her friend today. So 6 miles completed yesterday at 7:26mm average and 14 miles today at 7:22mm average. Cold bath and a slightly easier week miles wise this week. Must try and get some decent sleep this week (not my strongest point)...

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell-pity about Hibs. Fingers crossed for Liverpool. Good weekend running ,you've earnt an easy week. How many weeks to Edinburgh? How are you going to train between ? I haven't ruled out giving the RR Liverpool marathon in 7 weeks a go so interested to see how you'd approach a second .

Minni-bet that will be a sentimental but uplifting marathon .Will google it to find out more . Anniversary?!How time flies !

Chick-great LR. not long before your ready for 26.2 

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old. All prepared for, after London 3 days rest and then a week of easy to moderate runs 3,4,4,6,6,6,6 miles . Then the plan goes back to normal but not as full on as before up to Edinburgh and is slightly scaled down.

If you want I can send over a copy of the schedule, just send me a post with your email... 

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Glad to see you are all doing my training for me image [saves a lot of time and effort].

Managed about 10k at a bit faster than MP on Friday, leaving it to the warmest part of the day just to try and acclimatise.  Yesterday was mega tiring and all I did by way of exercise was 6 miles hill walking.  It was our groups 53 mile ultra over the weekend and having completed the Marshals event in March we were on duty from 8.30am Saturday until we got home at 3.30 am today.  If I never see another bowl of rice and fruit or piece of flapjack it won't be a minute too soon!!  Good to see lots of old friends but standing all day, apart from a brief walk and short car journies, has really made my back ache.  Combine that with lack of sleep and today is not  turning out to be a good day.  I didn't have time to eat or drink as much as I should have so have managed to lose another 1kg and am starting to feel a bit wobbly - so a food fest today, nothing too sweet or calorific to be ignored!!

Minni:  did you persuade Mr Minni to do the same marathon?

KFC: nice to hear from you again, but doesn't sound as if you will be chilling with me this year as you will be making sure you get a good pen position.

2Old / Nell / Barry: I am sensing a spot of testosterone fuelled rivalry for next weekend - and that's just the injury list................

Forecast looking a bit more hopeful for next weekend - I am decided just to keep my fingers crossed, keep eating and enjoy the mother and father of all tapers image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S-did you not have a fold up seat? That's a long day standing. I'm carbloading already with chocs and crisps. so no chance of any weight loss from now on . Sneaked in a nice 10k there too. No testosterone rivalry here..I'm terrified of getting it all wrong like in Boston last year. 

Nell- you don't have much time to recover which is probably better. Longest LR of  16 miles must have involved a lot of tough runs. I'm looking at P&D  for the 7 weeks though also I need to be able to swim 2 miles by the Friday before for the Windermere GNSwim. Might just settle for the HM .

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

2Old: call me bad at multitasking, but I find sitting down and waitressing a difficult combo. I was 'front of house' at the CP - although heating up 100 cans of soup is tricky sitting as well........

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S-point taken..it counts as time on your feet I suppose 

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Hi All,

AA Good luck for tomorrow & enjoy image I watched the Arsenal vs Reading match & was gutted for Reading as they deserved to win it & I don't like football normally but was glued to the tv.

Nice long run Chick

Well done Minni - Marines Marathon sounds hardcore but you will do well i'm sure.

Congrats on the Parkun 2Old

Welcome back KFC

Swimming training going well. I've been moved into the higher lanes now which has really helped my confidence. Ran 6 miles yesterday & the hamstring was ok thank god. Out on the bike this morning 17 miles which was really good although it was really windy & a bit cold. No races for me apart from my next Pool Tri at the end of May. Starting to think about venturing into the lake which will be the next big challenge for me.

• Well carb loading done. Beer at lunch. looking at the weather - 35mph head wind and pissing down. Think 3:45 is the goal now. 

Minni - nell's back stalking us on Twitter again!!! image

16218. Check back in tomorrow. Thanks for the luck guys.