Sunday 19th April

GobiGobi ✭✭✭
Well you know how it is, boy reads thread, boys wishes he entered event as friends there, friend pulls out and tells boy he can have place.

Boy races 2nd overall, 1st vet image

Todays lyrics - The price I am willing to pay

What: bike time

Why: I'm a cyclist

Last hard: yesterday

Last rest: Monday 6th April

Lyrics: yes

Comments

• Morning.

Congratulations Gobi. Not that many events that allow late transfers these days, nice to see that some will still accommodate it.

Blisters - there is no way I would be anywhere near OW swimming in these temperatures but OH would probably say that it's quite warm!

If conditions in Manchester are the same as here they should be good for marathon running (though I'd like it warmer next Sunday!). Have a good one Joe.

What:               8 - 10 easy
    Why:                the work is done, just trying to preserve sanity
    Last hard:        remembering the above
    Last rest:         13/4

Lyrics - maybe.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Well done Gobi!

LMH: make sure it is easy

What: something

Why: whatever I can fit in around marshaling duties and Joe spotting!

Go well Joe.

Lyrics: no

Edit: weather report for Manchester now saying a max of 6 this morning with 50% chance of rain. Very different to yesterday's forecast.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    yes I was very thankful to the club that organised the event.
  • Conditions look good in Manchester for those doing marathon today. Cloudy and not too warm.

What: still at Dad's

Why: families matter

Last hard: Monday

Last rest yesterday

Lyrics no

Well done Gobi and
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Great result, Gobi image

Conditions perfect for running today. No wind, sunshine but only 9 degrees. My kinda weather image

What: 19 miles bright and early

Why: can't let the best time of the day go to waste

Last hard: Thurs

Last rest: 1/4

Lyrics: no
  • alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

Well done Gobi.
    Good luck today to Joe and anybody else racing.
    Nice miles Chicksta and LMH

12 miles done for me. Longest I think since 2011. Felt good for most of it and felt a bit fatigued going back up the hill to home! Loads of helicopter flypasts on the Severn Bridge due to big NATO exercise taking place last week and next...wasn't expecting any movement today though! Great fun.

What: 12 mile d&d in Z2
    Why: long run Sunday
    Last hard: Dunno
    Last rest: Wednesday
    Lyrics: No

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

Good long runs there Chick and Alex!

Wasn't needed to marshal the marathon, so shouted on Joe (and Marders, who some will know...he won in 2:17) and ran 7.71k. About 6 degrees at the start and 9 or so at the finish...felt colder to me!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Cracking day here.  Great racing yesterday Gobi.

lovely long runs from chicksta and Alex today so far!

13.2 for me, very comfortable in perfect conditions.  A pleasure to be out and about!

Lyrics, they ring a bell but not getting them.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Just seen Joe's final result: well done...and well toughed out! 

Decent half marathon from you there, Don!

• I did my best Alehouse. Is that an Olympic qualifying time for Marders?

What's next race wise chiksta?

Great to be increasing your distances on both bike and run Alex, shows that the hard work is paying off.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Wow, 2:17 image

That's really shifting image

Nice 12, Alex

LMH: final relay leg at the Prague marathon, Hamburg half in June and hopefully an autumn marathon if I continue to feel as good as I am at the mo image
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Re Marders, I think that the Olympic B standard is something like 2:18 and the A standard is 2:15...but don't know whether he wants to still be a Kiwi or whether he is now GB for athletics purposes. 

• Sanity is a result of OW swimming not a prerequisite, blisters image

still virtually waiting on a mate from Inverness finishing at Manchester ...

• alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

Thanks all for the kind comments!

LMH - the funny thing is that I don't feel I've worked especially hard. By sticking in HR Z2 as an average, the training has been sustainable - effort-wise anyway. The challenge is always fitting it all in!
    A 2:17 marathon makes my eyes water...I remember reading a quote somewhere that said something along the lines of "Imagine running as fast as you can, then doing that for 26.2 miles."
    Going to go and look up Joe's result now.
    Good run there Don
    Nice to be able to support without marshalling, plus some kms as well Ale

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

I know Joe did a great run image Well done

I didnt post yesterday, but lyrics are one of fav tunes of all time, saw her live last year too. Dont know todays though.

19:36 parkrun yesterday, so very happy with that

75 mins today with some at MP, all went well

One week to go to VLM.

Take care

• I'm pretty sure that I've read that Marders is now British Alehouse.

Should be nice to participate in Prague without having to do all of it chicksta. Lovely city.

• 2:59 or a tiny bit under. Which is what I wanted. Hard work was yoyo'ing with the 3hr pacer from 19M.

Felt tired legs just didn't have any bounce and was pretty dehydrated.

Very happy with the result from a race that went pretty far from perfect. Couldn't have done any better on the day
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Well done Joe, spot on!  image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Well toughed out Joe:  you looked nice and easy at around 9 miles when I first saw you, but struggling at around the 17 mile drinks station...so well done on picking it up again. The sub 3 train was just behind you...and a big train it was so can imagine it was a bit chaotic yo-yoing with the pacer.

I reckon with a decent taper, and better pacing, you could make massive in-roads into your PB, and Manchester must be one of the places to do it! The race apart, how did everything go compared with other marathons you have done: the course, the organisation etc. Just interested!

LMH:  I, too, had at the back of my mind that Marders is now British and ran in a 50k or some such with Marigold. And Prague is on my shortlist for one of the next cities to visit, along with Madrid.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Evening

What5.5 km race

Why: sudniedersachsen cup

Last hard: running up the hill 3 times!

Lyrics: nope

First race as W 30 ( they take tear of birth) yet an official thought I had run in the u16 race and offered me the kid's finishing T-shirt!

28:09 so only 40 secs off last year's time so progress being made image 5th W30.

Well done Joe!

Have a good one all.
  • Alehouse - Organization was spot on, course was fine flat and fast. Not sure I'd go along with the claim that it's flatter than Berlin. I some concerns over the actual length of the course which is really worrying . Garmin didn't make 26 miles image.

Initially the course is very congested especially when both sides of the road are being used, this was the reason I kicked on from the pacer as there just wasn't any space.
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Cracking running all round, well done all.
    Lyrics: Nope
    What: TKD
    Why: It's Sunday and recovering from yesterday
    Last Hard: Yesterday's black belt 6 monthly MoT
    Last Rest: Friday
    Paced friend's 12 year old on parkrun on Sturday to bring him in at 23.42 and was then castigated by grumpy old $%& we passed on the home straight that I was stupid and should not be pushing/motivating a youngster. As a qualified teacher/military instructor/martial arts instructor and trainer I was astonished at his vitriolic outburst at the end of a parkrun. None of his business, my protégé was far from pushed or distressed and can only put it down to his sour grapes. It was his 269th parkrun and he was a category or two above so maybe he was miffed that a youth could beat someone of his experience. On the flip side, someone alse my age came over and congratulated B on his performance and good nature and told me it was good to see youngsters being coached and pushed.
    Oh well, tapering for Madrid Half next weekend starts today image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

I would agree, Joe, having trained on most of the course, that it doesn't seem as flat as is claimed! Re distance, all I can say is that I understand it has been measured and re-measured by AIMS. Re the congestion, I understand why you went out a bit more quickly...very busy indeed at around 3:20 pace to 4 hours and saw a couple of people trip at the water station at 9. 

Well done Emz! Getting back!

• Oh the mile markers were all over the place. Went from being short at 24 (23.8) to long at 25 (25.4) not what you want in the last miles.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

evening all, 
    well raced Joe, Stray, Emz and Gobi
    Plenty of good running elsewhere too
    I've found more and more races now allow transfers, which can only be a good thing.
    what - 21.1 miles part road, part trail
    why - back to backs after 17 yesterday
    last rest - few weeks ago
    last hard - today

lyric - possibly

• LOL emzap, my wife has that "problem" too

good on you Straycelt. Strange how randoms feel obliged to give you "advice" when not requested. I had a guy behind me at the airport security telling me I had better get organised (I'm no stranger to airport security and was actually quite organised and ready)

well done Joe

5.5 squeezed in this afternoon while Dad had a snooze

• Some great racing results today. I've loved reading them all. 2:17 and 2:59 noted.

A long drive for me: 300 mile round trip dropping Large One at Liverpool Uni.
    Back in time for swimming: 2k done, all technique.