Sub 3 Tom: #asics262

Comments

• RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭
    Good luck for tomorrow Malcs!! Fingers crossed for you
  • I have to add my tuppence here as I was also shocked about the trainer admission, though I would perhaps have phrased it a bit more delicately than One Gear did above. image When I read Tom's comments I was immediately convinced this was the cause too.

I have experimented and obsessed over a variety of running trainers (all Saucony) and the levels of support and heel to toe drop they offer - I keep a record of each run I do and how the trainers felt and any pain experienced. I have also made the mistake of racing (in 2 HMs) in lighter and flatter shoes and paid the price with calf soreness, though luckily never cramped like Tom did. I have suffered with calf pain a lot whilst training throughout my (short) running career as I've tried to switch down to flatter (4mm) and lighter shoes. This pain is a trade-off with developing stronger calves and not overdoing the adjustment so that you are unable to train.

However for the marathon I'm back in Saucony Omnis which I've raced in before over this distance and did all my long training runs in. I've learnt to keep the lighter, flatter shoes for tempo or speed sessions. Any subtle adjustment in how pressure is applied to your muscles will of course work them in a slightly different way and over the course of a marathon, this can cause severe cramping if your muscles are not conditioned to this stress fully. This whole premise is the basis on which gyms supply different handles etc... for weights to change the stress upon muscles and promote growth - great for training, not for racing.

Anyway, this is of scant consolation to Tom now (and could be entirely wrong (!) though seems likely given how strong a runner he is) and I'm sure he'll smash a sub 3 very soon.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks for the good luck messages, they did the trick!

Just back from Llanelli marathon. Incredibly pleased with a new 10 min PB of 3:04:27. I was still in shock from doing 3:14 in October, I may need therapy to get over this one image

Aim was to stick with sub 3 pace for as long as possible. Did halfway in 1:30 and made 20 miles feeling good but a minute or so outside of target. Tried to push but couldn't keep it up. Still very pleased as the plan was always for this to be a sighter and wow, did I get a good sight of what sub 3 is all about image

• well done Malcs - 10 minute PB and still more to come. Great running.

• Congratulations Malcs! Sub 3 in sight!

How's your back Steve? Good for next week? I've been recovering from the dog incident last week and hope to be okay. Voltarol helping.
  • Well done Malcs on your pb.

The trouble is you have now got close enough to sub3 that you will have to "scratch that itch"

• I did Manchester as well today. Chip time 3:00:36. I'd only managed to run 22miles in the last 3 weeks and visited the physio more than I ran so can't complain. Knocked 73mins off my only other marathon attempt, London 2010. Sticking to a good plan does wonders!
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Well done Malcs and MCC. Great work. Your PB improvements, along with Tom's, are astonishing!

I did Manchester today as well. 2:57:52. Absolutely delighted! Stuck with the 3 hr pacer until 23 then gradually sped up. there was a bit of a headwind for the last three miles, so leaving the big group to go solo was tough going. Still - over the moon!

It has been brilliant following the asics26.2 plan - and has actually worked very nicely doing it a week after Tom and seeing his write ups. 

I have now absolutely stuffed myself and am shortly off to bed.

• Well done Malcs that is a great time you are progressing well towards sub 3. Wow McCarthy C on such little running over the last 3 weeks that's also a great time 

• well done sorequads and McCarthy C - excellent running too.

Golfer - my back fine but right calf today wasn't. It was because of left calf that have only managed handful of runs in last month and had seemingly improved in last week and so won't get anywhere near as close as Malcs did, if I run.

• Great PB Malcs, a great improvement. Looks like you are steadily (10 minutes!) chipping away. Sub 3 next time!!

Great PB and sub 3 sore quads.

PB too today at Manchesterof 3.03.48 (garmin). Got some calf cramp twitches from mile 16 so had to ease off the pace to get round.
  • Wow Malcs, nice one, Some great achievements on here by many, well done guys.

• well done KR - lots of people just the other side of three!

• Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Congrats Malcs, McCarthyC and Sorequads. Fantastic running. Enjoy the moment you earned it...
  • Congrats to all running marathons at the weekend some great times by all of you. I am sure you are all glad its over now image 

Less than a week now to London and the nerves are kicking in already  

• Completed Zurich Marathon yesterday in PB of 2.58.56 (previous 3.05) second in Category and all thanks to the Ascis 26.2 plan which i followed diligently.

I was able to keep to a constant pace of 4.14 per km for the whole race and particularly in the last quarter overtook a lot of slowing and wall hitting colleagues.

I trained in Asics DS 19 trainers but raced in ON cloud surfer and have no foot or muscle problems today other than the normal muscle ache.

Nutrition was important before the race. 3 days of 3 times a day Spaghetti with Tomato or Pesto or Alio-Oglio sauce to give some variation. No meat, No green vegetables, no Bread,lots to drink including sports drinks, no Alcohol, 2 apples a day 2 Bananas a day. Every morning also a Shake with Soya Milk.It definitely paid off as I hit no wall had no cramps and kept a constant pace. Thanks to Asics for a great training Plan.

• Swisssteve, Knight Rider, Sorequads, McCarthy..... amazing running. Congrats all - very inspirational and I'm delighted that the asics26.2 training plan has assisted. 

Just wanted to come back on the shoe discussion..... the 'new' pair I wore in the marathon were exactly the same as the shoe I'd done 50% of my training in as I alternated between two pairs throughout. I did do the majority of my longer runs in a different pair, but I did do a few test longer runs in the lighter shoe to make sure they were suitable. I also did every session in them over the 2/3 weeks prior to the marathon which I'd estimate was about 70-80 miles. I wouldn't have worn them had I thought there was any chance they could cause a problem or be any different from what I was used to, and I don't believe they did.

Very jealous of everyone running - my foot still isn't right but hoping to get a few miles in this weekend.   

• Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭

Tom - that seems to be a strange situation. If they were shoes that you were trying for the first time, then I could understand you not being used to them but since you did a fair chunk of your training in them they should have been ok. I know I should rotate my shoes but I buy a pair and run in them till I need a new pair so training and races are done in the same shoes. Sorry to hear that your foot still hurts, it must be so frustrating wanting to run and push for that target but being grounded by an injury.

I didn't do any running this weekend, instead I went to South Wales with a few mates and we did 2 days of mountain biking through the welsh hills. So much fun and a good test as far as fitness goes... I think I am ready to restart my marathon training woohoo...

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone - really appreciate the support, it has been amazing! I genuinely thought I was a bit of a fraud coming on here but everyone has been so helpful. I think that has played a big part in helping me believe I could get close to the 3hr mark when I would never have dreamed of attempting it.

McCarthyC - blinkin' 'eco that's an amazing chunk to knock off. So close to sub 3 as well. Massive congrats!

Golfer - many thanks!

Iain H - cheers, very much appreciated! 

Sorequads - brilliant stuff! Really pleased for you.

KR - many thanks! Well done on your PB. Just very sorry to hear about the cramp. 16 miles in as well, what a nightmare. Much like Tom, that's amazing to come home with such a great time considering what happened. Sounds like you would have easily cleared 3hrs but for that. 

Amy - many thanks indeed! I suspect it won't be long before you're heading under 3:30 and beyond too.

Swisssteve - excellent running! Interesting to hear your nutrition strategy. Congratulations on breaking the 3hr barrier!

PS. my cousin lives near Zurich in Richterswil!

Steve - thanks so much for all your help. It's no coincidence that since meeting you through the Asics comp my times have dropped massively. Really appreciate it!

Iain - awesome, sound the training klaxon! image

Where in South Wales were you?

Tom -  you are probably right about the shoes. Then again sometimes things can just creep in slowly over time. I ran all last year in neutrals but I have felt much more comfortable in support shoes recently. It's so damn difficult to know.

• Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Malcs - we go to the afan forest just outside port Talbot or a place near Newport. Great way of spending a weekend..
  • RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭

Malcs - great effort and a huge PB!!  Sub 3 on the cards now in the next 12 months (have you thought about the next marathon you plan to do?)

McCarthyC - again, congrats on huge PB in only your 2nd marathon.  I agree about sticking to a plan - every PB I have achieved in last 2yrs was down to following a structured plan.

Sorequads & SwissSteve - excellent sub 3 times!  Great to see all the training has paid off!

KR - well done on PB but sorry to hear about the cramp.  Thats still a huge effort to finish in the time you did with 10 miles still to go.  Do you plan to enter another marathon later in the year?

Marathon taper madness has really kicked in now for me.  Seem to be checking Sundays forecast every 5 mins now for updates and also drinking beetroot juice (bleurrgh!)

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Iain - aha! So I wasn't too far away from you in Llanelli then. You would have had similarly great weather.

Roundman - many thanks! Keep it together, only a few days to go. Remember you can't do anything about the weather. 

Jim - hope those nerves are staying under control!

For all of you doing VLM, I'll be supporting on Sunday in Surrey Quays near the 10 mile marker. After coming away from Surrey Quays shopping centre, look for the Swiss flag on the right shortly after you go under the big footbridge.

Let me know what you'll be wearing and wether you'll have your name on your vest and I will keep an eye out for you.

• These are great for carrying stuff, I have used them for years. Can recommend.

http://www.ultramarathonrunningstore.com/RaceReady-Shorts-s/1858.htm

• RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭

Malcs - will make sure I keep an eye out for you (the more support the betterimage)

I'll be wearing a Cancer Research UK vest with clashing blue long shorts.  Name printed - "ROUNDY"!!!!

• Best of luck all VLM goers! 'ROUNDY' - will keep an eye out for you. I'll be around the 20-21 mile mark just before the long tunnel

• Malcs, Tom - Yellow vest with red stripe. No name on shirt I'm afraid and won't be carrying a golf club! Pic here:

http://www.runbritainrankings.com/runners/profile.aspx?athleteid=227204

If I hear any shouts for golfer then I'll try to give a wave.

I hope to run at 6.52ish pace for the first half and see what happens. Expect to finish a little over 3.

Ready to go now!
  • Tom I have been following your progress with interested and just thought I would chip in.

In 2013 I just missed a sub 3 by 32secs, so know how gutting it feels - even though a PB at the time. However, I used this frustration to good use by finally getting a sub 3 at Chester 6 months later.

My 2p's worth, but I would recommend resting up first, doing some shorter races and then going for a Autumn marathon, where you would definitely get a sub 3. I cant recommend Chester highly enough as a good autumn marathon to do and no problem getting an entry even fairly close to race day.

Doing London Sunday, so hoping for a good day there and good luck to all who will be racing London also.

• Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭

I second that about Chester...an amazing race and a good pb course. I got my sub 3 there last year 5 months after a tough 3:17 Edinburgh marathon. I'm hoping to go sub 2:50 there this year...

• Good luck with your sub 2:50 attempt Iain image

Happy to squeeze another sub 3 at London, age is catching up with me!

• RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭

Cheers Tom - hopefully will see you in decent condition.  Can you have some beetroot juice ready on the sidelinesimage!!