Options

Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

Comments

• Options
    First marathon attempt started yesterday with my sons 17th birthday. Double stack chilli burger and fries. Plus icecream! Nice bowl of soup later plus slab of flake

cake. Carbo loading done on to race.

The plan to start slow then build up.Headed off feeling good taking it easy. Or so I thought as I went through 3.1 miles in 22.53.Tackling the hills on the first part of the lap 10 miles 1.13.46. Eased back not following a couple of runners. Half way 1.37.05.Up over the four hills again 20 miles 2.28.14. Head was good legs kept going caught and passed the runners I let go earlier.Last two miles a runner I'd been with came through word in ear.I locked onto follow and keep on to the end.

3.16.30(haven't got result yet)Well chuffed thighs sore. Massage ouch.

Well done Malcs and gingermagic and all who ran today.
  • Options

Goodness I think it's taken me longer to read Tim's post-race report and all the ensuing comments than it took for TIm to run the actual marathon! Of course, that's all history now, what with the new 18-something PB at 5km image Moving on to bigger and better things already - and quite right too!

Massive congrats also to Malcs GingerMagic and Martin on great times.

As ever, it's been great to be part of the Asics 262 Project - there's always so much to learn as well as to teach and lots of fun to be had on the way. Thanks everyone!

• Options

Well done Martin great running and great result. As stated previously elsewhere well done to you too Malcs. Hope you are pleased too Gingermagic well done. Great conditions today. Two of my friends were trying to join the sub 3hr club today at Manchester. One did 2 hr 53 and the other 2hr 57. So great performances all round 

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Great racing today from everyone.

Gingermagic - well done on the PB. I'm sure you'll go sub 3:30 in your next marathon.

Ian - brilliant time for a first marathon. Great running too from Stan. And Malcs - I'd like some of whatever you are taking please! You're on the wrong thread! Congratulations!

Any other VLM runners with taper madness? I've been so snappy with all my family today and won't let anyone else go anywhere near the food I have bought for carb loading!
  • Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Stan - just seen how close you were! I'm sure you'll shave off those seconds I. Your next marathon.
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I am alright at home they are used to it but am foul at work image

• Options

Bloody hell Tim that's a cracking parkrun time just after Paris. As you seem to be in pb mood have you got a mid week 10k lined up or are you going for 3.15 at vmlm  

• Options

Gingermagic, you and I were close for some of the race. Sorry I missed you. Well done on a PB.

Christian, people were looking at me strange as I ran through 22,5m shouting your name. Perhaps if I knew what you looked like. 

Well done to all runners today. Stan, awesome effort.

There was a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye as I crossed the line in 3:30:04.

BUT THAT WAS GUN TIME!

Chip time was 3:28.26 Success! Controlled run and pulled it off. PB. Really chuffed!!!!

• Options

Full race report to follow. Knackered now.

• Options

Wow, there's been some seriously amazing running on this thread today!!! Huge congratulations to Gingermagic on your shiny new PB; Malcs for that amazing time (there's really no stopping you now is there...); Stan Trinket for your cracking time (sub3 definitely yours next time!): Martin Newstead for another PB and Hans C for that sub3:30 smashing!!! That's 5 massive blasts on the PB klaxon from me... Amazing!!!

Slowkoala, I'm completely with you in the taper madness! Massive maranoia kicking in for me now; I just can't seem to shift the negative thoughts out of my head despite writing a list of all the positives and successes from my training... Really need to sort myself out! Control the controllables is the place to start I guess. 

You're right RR, we do need a photographer for the 'bench meet up'! I can volunteer my sister who'll be accompanying me to the start to calm my nerves? She's not running this year and neither is she a professional photographer, but I'm sure she can get a snap or two of us all... image

• Options

Wow would you look at the PBs banging aorund on here, from park runs to marathons, well done All!

• Options
    Martin - well done, love your report.

Hans C - whoop whoop, nice use of suspense there.

Slowkoala - oh that's what it is! I was sooooo tired yesterday, pretty grumpy, knee seemed worse than ever, definitely with Puffsta though.
  • Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Malcs - what can I say, amazing run image. Just goes to show what potential you always had and how good coaching and training has unlocked that.  No pressure on Superman but if that is what last year's Asics sub 3.30 runner can do.....

Great PBs from Gingermagic, Stan and Hans too - well done image

Martin - that is a brilliant first marathon image. Bungay is not an easy course - none of those hills are really steep but they drag on a long way, and so many runners really lose it on the second lap (I heard a lot of swearing by some that I passed for my one lap!). But you really nailed it!  I completely missed you at the half way point I am sorry to say - had a nightmare parking as most of the car parks were full so I spent ages looking for one and ended up over a mile from the race HQ. By the time I got there and had picked up my number and queued for the loos you would have already gone through.

I ran 1.40.34 for the half.  Although that was quicker than planned, it felt really easy - ran very conservatively for 10 miles and then the last three were close on 7 min/miling just to give it a blast without doing any damage!  Just need to be sensible this week and rest up a lot, eat well, hydrate properly, and then hopefully set for Sunday.

I have no idea where I am going to be (apart from on the Green start before the gun!) - I always go with my brother and this year his boy is running the mini marathon, so needs to be up in London really early. I think we are all going to get a taxi to wherever he needs to be and then make our way to our starts from there. My brother is on Blue so depending on the time I may end up going to Blackheath with him in which case I can meet at the bench....or I may go straight to Green. It's anyone's guess at this stage!

• Options

Race report - Manchester Marathon

So me and the other half travelled up the day before and got to the hotel around 3 in the afternoon. We were staying in the Hotel Football. The one that’s co-owned by most of the class of 92. Giggsy, Scholesy, the Nevilles and Nicky Butt. Not only was it a pretty cool hotel it was overlooking the race village meaning a stress-free, leisurely walk down to the start in the morning. Another fantastic thing about this hotel was it’s free mini-bar. Containing Vimto, water, Space Raiders, a Curly-Wurly, a Wham bar and chocolate! Bizarre. We had a nice dinner in the hotel restaurant and I was tucked up in bed and fast asleep by 10 apparently. I’d been suffering with a tickly cough in the days leading up to it and still am now which seems to be developing into full blown lurgy. I’m so glad I’m feeling like this today rather than race morning!

I was up at 0600 with the race due to start at 0900. I sat at my window eating breakfast and having my coffee watching the race village starting to fill. It’s amazing how an area can just change so quickly and even seven floors up the buzz from below was infectious. I was constantly looking at my watch keen to get out there. The weather was perfect. Cloudy, chilly but not too cold and dry. Perfect for me anyway. It means not having sun cream dripping down my face at some point and I find it difficult in the heat. I made my way out at about 0840 down to the start and I was a bit taken aback when I got to ground level. This was the biggest marathon I was about to take part in. People everywhere! Club vests from all over the UK, charity runners from a wide range of good causes and there was the obligatory man in gorilla costume.

On the start line I suddenly felt the urge to pee. Despite having done only 10 minutes ago. I tried to put it to the back of my mind and put it down to nerves. My race plan was pretty much the same as Soups. Start out just behind target pace for the first 3 miles then up to 8m/m’s for the next 3. Moving to 7.55 m/m’s from 6 to 16. Hopefully then being able to maintain 7.50 m/m from 16 to 26 with a sprint finish. I felt ok to start with and settled in properly at around 3 or 4 miles. The atmosphere was fantastic and the crowds were amazing. I had to stop to pee just after 5 miles after getting annoyed with feeling the urge. After this I felt great and could concentrate fully on my running. The miles went by quickly and I was pacing it ok I felt. We headed towards Altrincham where the support was incredible. Just so noisy and enthusiastic. There were choirs and bands and banners everywhere. I clocked myself going through halfway in 1.43.30ish from what I can remember. This scared me. The last time I went through the halfway point in a marathon this quick I blew up horrendously at 19 miles and ended up jog/walking to the finish. I still felt comfortable at this point though so stuck to the plan. I started to feel that things were getting tough at around 17 miles and things quickly deteriorated between here and 20. Everything started to tighten, as much as I tried to tell myself to push more and get on my toes it just wasn’t happening. At mile 20 as well your on the quietest part of the course. When I struggled through mile 21 in 8.43 I knew the sub 3.30 wasn’t going to happen. I was slowing more and more. I was trying to put surges in to force myself back onto pace. It just wasn’t happening and at mile 23 I went through in 9.18. I started to feel like I was cramping as well and just told myself to keep moving. Stopping to walk would’ve been deadly. I knew if I could keep going in this default shuffle mode I could get a big PB. Before the start I set this as my bronze goal. I didn’t want to label not getting sub 3.30 as a failure. The 3.30 pacer p

• Options

cont...

The 3.30 pacer passed me between 23 and 24 along with a huge group of runners. They seemed to be running so fast, that’s how it felt as I shuffled along wishing I had the energy and the freedom of movement to keep up. The last mile and a bit is a long straight with Old Trafford in site, the finish! The camaraderie and friendliness of runners is something I love so much about this thing we do. Some guys were trying to get me to keep up with them to the finish and I was trying to do the same with runners struggling more than me. I crossed the line and stopped the watch, 3.35.07. I was happy, at least just to have finished. My bronze goal was achieved. When I saw my other half though she had this look on her face like she knew deep down I was disappointed and when she gave me a hug I had to fight back a couple of tears and got a little choked! Oh dear! I always get a bit emotional at the end of marathons, I don’t know why.

I’ve tried to pick it all apart and figure out what went wrong. I felt my training was good not ideal but enough. I ate well in the week leading up to the race. My pacing was alright. It just wasn’t to be and like Malcs says I know I’m a sub 3.30 runner. Frankfurt in October I think!

Thank you all for your nice words. Hans, Stan, Martin well done on your times! Absolutely brilliant. Sorry I didn’t get to see some of you there but it was always unlikely. It was a bit of a human zoo.

Oh and Malcs, I’ll say congratulations again! Incredible, so pleased for you.

• Options

So grear checking in on Monday morning and to read about all the awesome running! Massive congrats on the parkrun PB Soups.

Huge cheers on the marathon success for Malcs, Gingermagic, Hans and Martin.  Champions all!

• Options

Laughing at the idea of Hans running along past our water station shouting my name so prompted me to update my profile pic, well actually to add one, I've put last years London pic on hopefully it will inspire me.  Still struggling with lurgy that seems to have hit when coming back off hols so didn't run this weekend but feel happier it's now and not later in the week, will get a couple of runs in this week keep the legs ticking over.

Great time btw Hans very impressive and really good for you to get that.

Enjoyed reading the report GM and do feel for you but a PB is a PB and a 5 min one is very impressive.  I'm still in 2 minds but have kind of been inspired after watching yesterday and am leaning towards going with yours & Tim's pace strategy, but ease off if feeling too much.  Feel if I do this I still have a very decent chance of a PB, even if I slow more than I want in the last part.

• Options

Well done Martin and Hans!! Brilliant!!!

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Epic report, Ginger. I had a similar experience on my first sub 3:30 attempt. Seeing the sub 3:30 pacers go by around mile 20 at what felt like Usain Bolt's 100m pace destroyed my confidence and I did a bit of a Paula (the sit down at the kerb and cry Paula of course - what did you all think image). You did well clocking a 3:35 ... I only got 3:39 back then image

Massive congrats Stan, Hans and Martin (in no particular order) - you guys rock image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Gingermagic - I felt like I just ran every step with you there! Such a tough thing to close out a marathon when you know things are not going your way. Be sure to take all the positives out of this that you can. As chicksta says, 3:35 was bloody great given the circumstances. Frankfurt will be your race!

Martin - that's a fantastic result, no wonder you're pleased! Very well done indeed!

Hans C - you little tease you! image I had my heart in my mouth for a second there. Absolutely elated for you!

Stan - there you are! I thought we'd lost you when we set the other thread adrift. Great to see you back and wow, what an amazing result! 

Soooo close to sub 3. I think that's a moral sub 3 at the very least! 

Freemers - please come to the bench! Would be great to see you! image

Thanks so much for all the kind words everyone. I have made no secret of my appreciation for the huge support that I've had from these forums. You have all been awesome.

I will try and do a race summary later.

SupermanRuns wrote (see)

HOLY CANT BE ARSED WITH SUB 3.30 ANY MORE SO IM GOING FOR SUB 3.00 WOWSERS  Malcs that is just beyond wow!!!!! Many congrats. What an incredible journey you have had since the heady days of 3.50. Well done and I hope you are enjoying a beer right now!! I am afraid to ask this question but whats next? Astronaut? Swiss Prime minister?  

lol - ooh, Swiss PM! I like the sound of that! image

Would you believe that I have not yet had any alcohol?! It's scandalous I tell you. I can't even have any tonight or tomorrow as I have foolishly booked myself on two rugby coaching courses - d'oh!

• Options

Well done and congrats to all of the racers this weekend.

GM – excellent race report, feel for you missing out on the target but you are in new PB territory which is a great result! It’s only a question of when, not if.

Malcs – I can only assume they give out roller skates in those Welsh marathons. But seriously, that time – whoa!

Tim – a 5k time starting with an ‘18’ – X rated stuff! That is phenomenal well done

• Options

Totally agree Christian. I am happy but we are always our harshest critic and I'll never be 100% satisfied. If I had got 3.29 I probably would've beat myself up over not getting 3.28. That's just me. The race strategy is a good one and like you say it's about assessing how you feel. It'll put you in a good position for sure if you need to find yourself hanging on towards the end!

Thanks Chicksta. I just think it shows how much you care about what you're doing to get that emotional about it. I know how you feel. It's just so frustrating when things don't go to plan.

Exactly Malcs, there are far more positives from yesterday for me. The fact that I clung on to get that PB is huge for me. I'm getting better at dealing with that last 10k and I'll be even better next time!

Thanks BK. It's all good. I'm already plotting for October and my next assault on -3.30!

• Options

Gingermagic Even though I knew the ending, I loved the race report buddy. I am not sure i know anyone who has finished a marathon who has not been choked up with emotion. I read once that the great Paula said running a marathon is like going through every emotion you have in side you. Elation to despair, happiness to worry. It must have been hell when the sub 3.30 group went past you but testimony to how you have improved is you did not slow up and walk, you dug deep,well done!

And proof why you should have gold/silver/bronze goals for our races. You ran a PB and that means you bettered anything you had done before, which is great. Given you are your harshest critic you will come out the other side and I know Frankfurt will be yours and you will achieve sub 3.30.  Well done again on your 3.35, it was the foundations to sub 3.30

Stan I have congratulated on twitter but bloody well done again sir!!! And I reckon those shaved off seconds will be coming off next time eh. 

Christian I think it is brilliant that us runners get in the spirit of marathon day when helping. Its superb to give something back. Hope the lurgy holds off. 

Slowkoala I was pretty snappy the weekend before Paris. Looking back on it, I would not have admitted it but I was under pressure, self imposed pressure, plus maranoia and I was quite intolerable to live with. Not at all like me. image

Hans C Well CHUFFING PLEASED for you buddy!!. image  Reckon there is a career on Jackanory for you!! You really are a tease arent you!! Hope you enjoyed the celebrations. 

Martin Brilliant carb loading and even better marathon. That was truly impressive on what seems a tough course. Absolutely well done. Hope the Canaries make it a spring to remember for you! 

BRB Seem your sister has got the snappy gig then!!! I will have my phone with me to take some snaps for memento's. This group meet up will be the culmination of my most wonderful and cherished journey's. 

Freemers Nice running, great to see you are in superb shape, just at the right time! Hope we get to see you on Sunday. 

• Options

reikirabbit How is the knee today???

Puffsta Less maranoia today? Or worse?? 

I had to take it easy yesterday, the parkrun had taken it out of my legs, steady bike on the turbo for an hour just to keep the legs ticking over. 

Malcs I have just checked the small print on the #asics262 contract to make sure I had not missed the "must aim for sub 3.00 hours in the following year" image  The question on my lips is are you going to attempt sub 3hrs before you have any alcohol? 

• Options
    Thanks Tim, appreciate that. You're testiment to the whole journey of achieving these goals and I know with a bit more work I'll get there!
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

BLOODY ipad!!

I give up. tim will you be in costume on Sunday?

• Options
    Maybe not when we meet up but yes when I run. You??
  • Options

Thanks for all the knowledge i have gained from your individual journeys. It's been a pleasure to read the high and lows. The comedy and ability to laugh at ourselves has made the effort worth while.Look forward to wife allowing doing this again.

Might try a 10 miler in May then 5 and 10 ks.Hope to join super in the 18's.

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Martin - I'm doing the Dereham 10 miles in May and Diss 10k in June. Both fast and flat so worth trying those.
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Yep Tim I am wearing my middle aged tubby bloke costume image