Any first timers want to talk about VLM 2015?

Comments

• Ignore the last 10k of a Marathon just remember you have completed 20 miles, hard work doneimage ...now it's cruising time image the sights are better ..Embankment,Thames,  Big Ben, Buck House ..more crowds, as Cougie says a wall of sound ..and best of all the finish line is not far away .. don't forget 'Pain is  weakness leaving the body ' or use your own Mantra image 

• I'm new to this thread and also running on Sunday with very imperfect prep. Feeling really anxious,but this thread has given me a boost - thanks guys image

• Good luck to everyone running VLM on Sunday.  It will be my second time and 3rd mara.  My training has been rubbish so instead of worrying about time I'm aiming to enjoy it...if that's possible.

I love it when I ran it 3 years ago as it was my first marathon. My tips were; have your name on your shirt if you have time now.  I ran by the crowds when I felt tired and people calling my name made me feel like a superstar.  I never believed that the crowds will carry you home until I ran VLM but it's true - you'll see.  You won't need music. You won't be able to hear it.  Don't worry about twinges and sniffles now...they'll magically disappear when you're pumped on race day.  Have a plan to meet people at the end as mobile phone contact can be impossible!

Just believe in yourself and you're training and be proud - very few people ever run a marathon but 98% of those that start VLM finish - odds on you will too!

• What's everyone's training schedule looking like for the final few days? I did 4miles slow this morning and I feel like my knees are aching (taper psychosomatic nonsense I'm sure) so I am thinking about maybe doing 30mins on the cross trainer on Thursday to avoid any more impact on joints but nothing else until race day??

What do you reckon?

Ps I heard a good tip about having friends in the crowd- apparently if you have your name on your shirt it obviously makes it hard for your mates to yell and stand out so some people have suggested they call you a different name, like your surname or nickname.

I suggested this to my husband. I'm pretty sure he's just going to yell out BELLEND now, and I shall curse this advice.
  • I'm feeling AWFUL. Totally jittery and nervous. Spent day at work trying not to cry because work stress was taking over, then I got home and cut my thumb while making dinner and then crashed my car at the supermarket! Total nightmare. If I make it to the start line alive it'll be a miracle!

Hurties I did a 3 miler today at lunchtime and now probably planning a 2-3 on Friday (no time thurs as off to the expo!) then that'll be me done. I don't really do any cross training which I know I really should and definitely plan to start once this is over as my core is so weak.

Weather forecast check- currently says 16 with a light shower and some sun. Getting warmer...
  • That is good idea re name btw
  • Oh no image hope the car isn't too damaged!

Try not to worry too much, it's too late to change anything now, the training is done and you have a great list! Just relax and trust the training.

Training for me this week was 30 mins (3 miles) Mon, 5mins +12MP and 5mins cool down 2mor, then nothing. I'm on my feet a lot on Fr. So will see how I feel. I might have a mile or so on Sat.

• Fleet girl I an feeling like you too - but I'm sure we will have a great, if painful day. Sounds like you're well prepared anyway so it's going to be fine
  • Fleet girl - lovin the weather updates. I've found myself doing the same. Never been so interested in the weather forecast as last couple of weeks. First Marathon on Sunday for me too - Yikes! I've found this thread tonight which has been great to read. Ive been panicking I'd make it and planning to defer place last week, then got it checked and got go ahead from physio last weekend. Now wondering if it was taper jitters as rest of training went well???? Have now started worrying if I'd done enough training as only one 20 mile run done which was a struggle for last few miles. Like the idea though of dedicating miles to someone special to get through the final 10k. Not long to go now.....image

• I'm so chilled atm I think in denial that it's going to happen! Everyone else has trained and prepared....I'm one of those I usually frown upon!

Fleet I'll be using your list over the next couple of days to make sure I've got everything ????
  • I'm feeling better this morning so will try and stay chilled! I've got one last sports massage booked tonight so that's always nice (sort of).

Stef how exciting that it's your 40th on the day. I will also be heading for the nearest prosecco oulet but that's just because I like it not because it's my birthday! My big 40 is next year and I definitely won't be running a marathon to celebrate!

Soul runner, a few days ago I thought I had awful shin splints but now wondering if it's just the same twinges I've had all along and haven't taken any notice of. I've been resting and seems better so maybe just taper madness.

The app has come out for iOS and you can find on the App Store searching London marathon, it's the second one down. Think means people can track you as well as on the website.

Weather check currently says thunderstorm!! I kid you not.
  • I noticed the most recent thunderstorm forecast too, although the forecast does seem to be changing quite drastically on an almost hourly basis. Looking at the forecast between Thursday and Tuesday, I think we'll be lucky if we get a dry day though. As much as I wouldnt mind a little shower, I wouldnt want it to drive the crowds away! At least we can guarantee that it wont be one of those crazy hot days that tend to follow the London Marathon!

Fleet Girl - make sure the masseuse knows youre doing the marathon on Sunday and doesnt go too deep and masochistic with the massage. Deep tissue massage is not a good idea now!

How is everybodys taper madness going?

• I'd definitely prefer rain than boiling sun, it's what I've trained in!

Taper madnes?? My knees have given out on me twice in my head. My brain tells me I can't run a mile!
  • Does anyone else want to share their total preparation mileage?  Including an assumed 2 miles today and a 12th Feb start due to chest infection I've clocked 211 miles.  I can get minutes together if anyone wants it.  August-Nov was 178 miles.  Only once have I done 20 miles (20.65) and all of my training has been using Martin Yelling's guide in the Marathon magazine for time rather than mileage.

• September : 31 miles
    October : 80 miles
    November : 54 miles
    - This was training for the Las Vegas Marathon, which then became the Las Vegas HALF Marathon when I got a bit drunk the night before the race (turns out that Las Vegas is very dangerous for marathon prep)!!

December : 0 miles

January : 10 miles
    February : 21 miles
     - Both of these months were hampered by a 4 week lay-off with a grade 1 calf tear.

March : 89 miles
    April : 62 miles

To be honest, I could/should have done more, but 2015 has so far been full of minor injuries and niggles. Its only really the last 6 weeks where Ive been getting the right combination of quantity and quality in the training. I certainly wont be setting any records on Sunday though.

• This weeks schedule was a 30 minute easy run last night and the same for tonight. I have the option of a short jog on Friday or Saturday but I will see how long I'm on my feet for tomorrow at the expo.

I started officially training on the 1st Jan with a 5 mile trail race and have so far logged 274 miles - so will definitely hit the 300 mile mark over the weekend!

I'll be pleased if it's not too windy or lashing it down!

• Fleet Girl - don't forget to add timing chip to your list image

• The storms gone, just light rain to contend with now!

My masseuse is one I've used all along and she's running too so she'll know what to do hopefully!

Yes chip, cannot forget that. Has anyone been to expo today? I'm going tomorrow late afternoon.

Running I've done:-

Sept -34

Oct-42

Nov-31

Dec-51

Jan-95

Feb-98

Mar-112

Apr-75 (includes 2 this Friday!)
  • I'm not too sure about total mileage to be honest. I've tried my best to wean myself off the addiction to Nike+ this year.... It was starting to control me!!! image

However my races I remember (in between injuries and being beaten to a pulp by my tonsils) leading up have been:

• A 16 miler in Feb.
    • Warwick Half in March.
    • Cov Half in March.
    • MK20 miler in March (6 weeks ago)
    • Great Edinburgh Run this weekend just gone.

Hope it's going to carry me over the finish line.... Not sure whether I'll be posting on here again before race day, but if not have a great run guys!!! image

I'm sure we'll pull each other through! image

• Hi all sorry this is a first post in this thread and a question but I have been lurking a while!

My mate was going to get my number at excel for me tomorrow and has letter and copy of my licence etc bug I cannot find my registration number anywhere. I assume this is the thing that was sent that looks like a race number? I have turned the house upside down.

I can see nothing on any of the guidance documents about what to do in this event other than 'no form no number'.

Is this it for me? I won't be able to run?

Am trying to quell the panic but wondered if anyone had any ideas?
  • NayanNayan ✭✭✭

you should've received a piece of paper with your magazine saying registration form and with a survey of which charities you like on the back. Yes it had your running number on it. 

Id give the marathon  HQ a call asap

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

does anyone here have any experience of using the DLR to get to the start? I asked the conductor today about it on the way to excel and he said it should be fine. Others say the DLR is unreliable and should be avoided.

• If I had a choice between having to rely on the DLR or SouthEastern trains, I'd choose the DLR! Then I'd consider walking, then I'd look into chartering a private helicopter, then I'd think about swimming down the Thames to Greenwich, and then I'd consider SouthEastern trains!

• Just picked up my number from the EXPO! 

Anyone else worrying about RAIN??

Concerned I'm going to be freezing running for that long getting wet because the temp is meant to be quite low, plus god help my poor little iPhone! I'm going to have to cover the little chap in a couple of sandwich bags to protect him from the wet. 

I've just bought a translucent poncho to wear. That's about all I've got. I've read about some people putting plastic bags over their socks and then putting on their trainers to keep their feet dry! What are your plans if it does indeed rain?? 

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

DLR - there was one year when it broke down spectacularly leaving some runners to run to the start image 

Rain - I did one VLM  (2009?) when there were huge downpours at mile 9 and mile 15 and then hailstones at around mile 20.... have to say the team spirit was great - lots of oggy oggy oggy and cheering ourselves on. If it does rain remember Vaseline is key..... You can't really plan apart from that - you just get wet and will need some nice dry clothes in your bag for the end - and maybe a small towel?

• Thanks Gladrags. Were you cold in 2009? What were you wearing?

• I went to the expo yesterday and found out that I will am starting at the blue start, I also read on the interweb that the blue start is for serious runners which certainly isn't me!

I'm certain that I was fairly conservative with my time on my application putting down about 4.15, nevermind they can all go past me and I will have the road to myself and 20,000 others! haha

• The blue start is for ballot runners so not just fasties!

Medalmickey - did you find your form? Hope you got it sorted.

Am worrying about the rain. Don't Mind a shower but heavy rain all day could drive all the supporters away! Or definitely by the time I finish anyway!
  • What pen number are you in howey, that says more about how quick the people you'll be with are running. Apparently it says at the bottom of your number
  • pen number 6, I'm hoping that's one of the back ones image

Blimey that weather forecast has changed since this morning! Let's hope it stays away as I definitely need the crowd support to get round!