Pony Express v Druids Challenge Comparisons

I'm running in the Xtreme Energy Pony Express event in a couple of weeks time. I ran the Druids event (another Xtreme Energy event) last year. 

Can anyone comment as to how the two events compare (e.g terrain, difficulty, or any other useful observations/opinions) 

Thanks 

Comments

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

I've done the Ridgeway, (not with XNRG) and did the Pony Express event last year...

In my experience, the Pony is easier underfoot, flatter and with more Tarmac than the Ridgeway. I'd think it'll be bone dry after the recent weather. it's a different sort of landscape around the New Forest rather than higher up - not better, or worse, just different... 

Personally, I prefer the Ridgeway but it's a good weekend and XNRG are always good hosts. There's a decent pub near the overnight stop too which is worth a visit image

• Aggree - Pony Express is a more relaxed - although still challenging event.  Less mud more daylight, 2 days instead of 3 and lovely scenery.  (btw where's the pub??).

• CWDCWD ✭✭✭

Thanks guys. That's really helpful.

i have heard that up accommodating locals have a ha it of tampering with route signs and tape? Is this still a problem?

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

I didn't have any problems with signs last year, though I had the GPS log on my watch to keep me honest.I have heard that there's been issues with signs in previous years, so it's probably worth keeping your wits about you!

We went to "The Alice Lisle" in the evening which is short walk from the overnight stop - it's a nice pub and does decent food if you're still hungry after the XNRG dinner, and serves a good pint or two if that's your thing image

http://www.alice-lisle-ringwood.co.uk/

• I know two years ago there were problems around the Burley area, but Neil sorted them out.  Only problem was near the start of Day 2 where at one point some of us found ourselves following the arrows from Day 1.

Pub looks good!

• CWDCWD ✭✭✭

Thanks guys. That sounds most encouraging. May well check out the pub depending on my day one state image