Post Marathon Recovery

Hi

I am after some advice, I have just completed the Manchester Marathon and I have London this week end followed by Milton Keynes the week end after.

what is the best way to recover when I only have five days rest in between each race, my legs are slightly stiff and sore but not too bad. Should I rest all week with a gentle jog on Friday?

all advice welcome.

Ta

Fergy

Comments

• With so little time between marathons I would just take it easy, but would suggest a few gentle walks instead of total rest as I find this helps ease the stiffness.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'd agree with the above. Last year I did a marathon 8 days after a 50 miler. I did a couple of very short runs in the week and quite a bit of dog walking. Felt reasonably fresh for the marathon. It will also depend on how hard you race each one.
  • Fergy, completely agree with what Millsy said.

I recently ran a 50 miler (SDW50) which was my priority, then 8 days later ran Brighton marathon. Inbetween the two I just did 2 x easy 3-4 mile runs, lots of dog walking to keep my legs moving, but also had lots of rest/sleep/good food, as well as a sports massage. My plan was just to see how it went for Brighton and if needs be treat it as a long training run for the TP100, but I ended up running a 5 minute marathon PB and it actually felt like the easiest road marathon I've ever run....so not quite sure how that worked! But the point I'm making is that it's easily doable, but just take it easy between the races as recovery is key.

Good luck with the triple image